**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

He is just being a star in his role is all it really comes down to.

Andrew Bynum is a perfect example of Hayes' role on this team
Definitely staring in that dwight/javale role

Andrew was a legit #2-3 option though, had a whole bag with his back to the basket & more of a half court C...not sure Hayes is that guy.

Regardless, he's been great. Looking forward to seeing more.

Definitely staring in that dwight/javale role

Andrew was a legit #2-3 option though, had a whole bag with his back to the basket & more of a half court C...not sure Hayes is that guy.

Regardless, he's been great. Looking forward to seeing more.
True. You're right, probably closer to Dwight-Javale. Bynum was a legit double-double threat every night he was healthy.

But role-wise, Bynum would start at C and often not close games because Phil preferred Pau at C and Lamar at PF, just like Dwight and Javale did for the most part.

I think if Ham employs that same strategy in the playoffs, the Lakers would be able to match up with any team. Granted, I fully expect Hayes to be a much better version of himself come May of next year.

Why yall stop posting Hayes +/- from the last couple of games? 😂
Dont trip, nobody ever said homeboy was perfect lol

-10 plus/minus, just for you.

Bron was negative too icydk lol

But EYE and everyone has seen with their own two 👀 that Hayes is still making positive impact on the team with his presence and 20-foot wingspan alone NTM all the intangibles he brings that you for sure never saw coming cause what everyone does is only look at what he did in New Orleans while failing to see his skillset and attributes and how that makes him a perfect complement to a team whose core has championship caliber players 😂

Dont trip, nobody ever said homeboy was perfect lol

-10 plus/minus, just for you.

Bron was negative too icydk lol

But EYE and everyone has seen with their own two 👀 that Hayes is still making positive impact on the team with his presence and 20-foot wingspan alone NTM all the intangibles he brings that you for sure never saw coming cause what everyone does is only look at what he did in New Orleans while failing to see his skillset and attributes and how that makes him a perfect complement to a team whose core has championship caliber players 😂
Eye never saw it coming lol you got me!

There’s really not a player on the roster that I don’t like as far as what they bring to the table… even down to the rookies who won’t really crack the rotation. When I look at any young player the 1st thing I notice is their skill set, because context matters when it comes to their production. I just found it funny that +/- from a preseason game was posted, like it matters at all.

Eye never saw it coming lol you got me!

There’s really not a player on the roster that I don’t like as far as what they bring to the table… even down to the rookies who won’t really crack the rotation. When I look at any young player the 1st thing I notice is their skill set, because context matters when it comes to their production. I just found it funny that +/- from a preseason game was posted, like it matters at all.
Plus/minus during preseason games hardly matters at all. And it only tells part of the story as far as his overall impact is concerned.

Overall, eye test is what matters to me

Plus/minus during preseason games hardly matters at all. And it only tells part of the story as far as his overall impact is concerned.

Overall, eye test is what matters to me
Gotcha.

I think I said this when the signing was announced but I like the length and athleticism that Hayes brings to the table... IMO Rob hit it out of the park with all of the additions this summer, I think the Lakers upgraded at every position.

Nice dunk from Cam there, but yeah he's not exactly killing it tonight.

I think he might end up being another rookie that's not going to get a ton of minutes...at least as long as the Rockets are trying to win games.

Gotcha.

I think I said this when the signing was announced but I like the length and athleticism that Hayes brings to the table... IMO Rob hit it out of the park with all of the additions this summer, I think the Lakers upgraded at every position.
Not only did he upgrade at every position, he also did so by spending smart money.

This team should contend for the next 2-3 years, health god willing. Reaves may just be that third star they've been wanting and thought could only come via free agency or trade.

Not only did he upgrade at every position, he also did so by spending smart money.

This team should contend for the next 2-3 years, health god willing. Reaves may just be that third star they've been wanting and thought could only come via free agency or trade.
Define star.

Reaves is a very good role player, but gotta be careful how you throw that word around buddy... just saying.

Define star.

Reaves is a very good role player, but gotta be careful how you throw that word around buddy... just saying.
There are current and former All-Stars in this league I wouldn't take over Austin Reaves (e.g., Lavine, Randle, Middleton, Conley, Trae, Lowry, CP3, Ingram, '19 Westbrook, among others)

That's all you need to know about how the term "Star" is used so loosely.

A star imo is a complete professional in his craft, can gel with any squad you put around him, he is valued around the league, and he definitely does NOT have to average 25 ppg to make an all-star type impact.....in other words, a true "star" doesn't have empty stats.

Because the results show in the player's consistency and impact on the game when they come to play each and every night. You can absolutely count on Austin Reaves cause he plays with a star mentality and the fact he got invited to play on the FIBA squad with other "star" level players is a testament to his increasingly growing reputation as an up and coming star.

If an All-Star appearance is what's needed to solidify his status as such, then so be it. I think it's coming regardless. To put things in perspective, If AR played in Utah, he easily averages 22, 7, and 7 as their starting guard, primary ball handler, and best playmaker.

Had this conversation before in real life, and not trying to come off like an Austin hater because I like him... but "star" isn't a label that I use loosely like some people do.

There are current and former All-Stars in this league I wouldn't take over Austin Reaves (e.g., Lavine, Randle, Middleton, Conley, Trae, Lowry, CP3, Ingram, '19 Westbrook, among others)

None of these guys are "stars"... although I think Trae is knocking on the door. He's an incredible offensive player capable of being an offensive hub by himself BUT he's also a complete zero on defense so that's just not winning basketball...until maybe you can construct a team to cover his weaknesses. Anyhow, several of these guys mentioned here like Middleton and Conley I believe are really good role players (same category as Austin).

A star imo is a complete professional in his craft, can gel with any squad you put around him, he is valued around the league, and he definitely does NOT have to average 25 ppg to make an all-star type impact.....in other words, a true "star" doesn't have empty stats.

I would argue that this part...the ability to gel with any squad you put him around...more so describes very good role players than it does stars. Because stars are the type of players you build your team around, and not just pieces of the puzzle.

If an All-Star appearance is what's needed to solidify his status as such, then so be it.
For me All NBA honors is probably a better indicator of star status than all star.

what’s striking to me about hayes is that his decision making looks leagues above than when he was on the crappy pelicans

i was told he was low iq and if he had the ball that’s not 3 feet from the basket we’d be doomed

he looks solid so far, dude averaged 0.7 assists in NOLA but just in these preseason games he’s been getting 2-3 assists per game

Had this conversation before in real life, and not trying to come off like an Austin hater because I like him... but "star" isn't a label that I use loosely like some people do.

None of these guys are "stars"... although I think Trae is knocking on the door. He's an incredible offensive player capable of being an offensive hub by himself BUT he's also a complete zero on defense so that's just not winning basketball...until maybe you can construct a team to cover his weaknesses. Anyhow, several of these guys mentioned here like Middleton and Conley I believe are really good role players (same category as Austin).

I would argue that this part...the ability to gel with any squad you put him around...more so describes very good role players than it does stars. Because stars are the type of players you build your team around, and not just pieces of the puzzle.

For me All NBA honors is probably a better indicator of star status than all star.
Then it seems to me your definition of star is more like "superstar" as opposed to "all star" if all-nba team is by and large your measuring stick

AR has already hit multiple buzzer beaters and game winners in his super short 2 year career thus far. Ntm he is the 3rd best scorer on the team and arguably their 2nd best playmaker with the ball in his hands, especially in thr last 2 minutes.

NTM, AR a bonafide two-way player whose floor game and basketball IQ are on that elite type level.

He definitely ain't a role player. He def a #3 of a Big 3 of several playoff teams. Like if you put him on Dallas, or even Denver who he torched for a 30+ point triple double his rookie year. Put him on the Heat and he's #2 or #3 there. Clippers, same thing.

I get you tho, you only looking at the elite all-nba 1st, 2nd teams.

But let me remind you buddy....u can't spell star without "AR."

Last edited:
Then it seems to me your definition of star is more like "superstar" as opposed to "all star" if all-nba team is by and large your measuring stick
My tiers w/ examples

Superstar: Lebron, Joker, Curry, KD, Giannis (Guys who are/were consideration for best player in the world... and yes I know Bron and KD are older, so just using them in their prime for sake of my point)
Star: AD, Tatum, Butler, Dame, PG, Booker (maybe) etc (Guys who aren't quite as good as the guys in superstar tier but for multiple game/series can look like they belong in tier 1)
All-star: Jaylen Brown, Fox, Bam, Siakam, Derozan, etc (Guys who are good enough to make multiple all-star teams, but not quite on the same level as the guys in the first 2 tiers)

None of this is a knock on Austin... I think he's a great role player with the ability to play off of AD and Lebron. In the future he might even possibly make an all star team, which would be great. But there are levels to this, and he's just not there...which is fine, there's a lot of talent in the league.

Back
Top Bottom