**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

“Best case” and “with DLo” do no belong in the same sentence.
Best case for the Lakers is what I mean.

I do want to give him some credit. He was super helpful to the Lakers but that also shows how detrimental Westbrook was. But he did help the team get to the WCF. He also played well in the regular season for the team since the trade.

Ultimately, no way a team can win a ring with him as the starting PG. That ship has sailed.

Best case for the Lakers is what I mean.

I do want to give him some credit. He was super helpful to the Lakers but that also shows how detrimental Westbrook was. But he did help the team get to the WCF. He also played well in the regular season for the team since the trade.

Ultimately, no way a team can win a ring with him as the starting PG. That ship has sailed.
Bring him off the bench

DLo was a perfectly suitable 3rd option. If Vincent didn't flame out and Vando missing basically the whole season things might have improved slightly.

Giving away one of our best under 30 players to presumably get even older is not a good idea.

Ironically, Kobe's agent will be cheered for giving him away. Must be nice to have that gig.

DLo was a perfectly suitable 3rd option. If Vincent didn't flame out and Vando missing basically the whole season things might have improved slightly.

Giving away one of our best under 30 players to presumably get even older is not a good idea.

Ironically, Kobe's agent will be cheered for giving him away. Must be nice to have that gig.

When has he shown he can be a positive player in the playoffs?

God no....

giphy.gif

When has he shown he can be a positive player in the playoffs?

No argument he needs to improve that. He's had good halves/good games but not multiple games consecutively. He needs to keep improving.

But he played almost 80 games logging a career high in minutes and played well. If he keeps working hopefully he can step up his playoff play as well.

No argument he needs to improve that. He's had good halves/good games but not multiple games consecutively. He needs to keep improving.

But he played almost 80 games logging a career high in minutes and played well. If he keeps working hopefully he can step up his playoff play as well.

Fair, but we'll agree to disagree on this. In my mind, the sample size is large enough. He isn't built for playoff basketball. Physicality and length are two things that he has always struggled against. The playoffs are filled with those sorts of players. On top of that, if his shot is not going, which happens for everyone in the playoffs, he literally brings nothing else. This is why he's such a boom or bust player and in the playoffs.

But obviously I do not want to lose him for nothing. However, I don't see his options being that vast. Who is going to offer him a contract he will be happy with. I don't see it anywhere. Ultimately, I do not see the Lakers winning a ring with him as the starter.

On top of that, if his shot is not going, which happens for everyone in the playoffs, he literally brings nothing else

He runs the offense well. Another ball handler to reduce the load on LeBron. And defense has to honor his shot making even when it's not falling. (Cuz he can get hot off just one shot)

But he distributes pretty well, even when his shot fails him.

Fair, but we'll agree to disagree on this. In my mind, the sample size is large enough. He isn't built for playoff basketball. Physicality and length are two things that he has always struggled against. The playoffs are filled with those sorts of players. On top of that, if his shot is not going, which happens for everyone in the playoffs, he literally brings nothing else. This is why he's such a boom or bust player and in the playoffs.

But obviously I do not want to lose him for nothing. However, I don't see his options being that vast. Who is going to offer him a contract he will be happy with. I don't see it anywhere. Ultimately, I do not see the Lakers winning a ring with him as the starter.

Question: Was DLo the only reason they lost, or were there bigger issues or even just other issues?
Was every single player (except for AD) a reason they lost?

If that’s the case, then you figure out what/where you can upgrade at.

backup 5, rebounding, a wing with size. Those are all things they can upgrade with a pretty good certainty.
The PG spot, without hurting other areas isn’t a certainty they can improve at.

There’s a fair debate that they can’t win a title again with any of the guys they have.

Last edited:
That's kinda where I'm at too.

AD is so soft he couldn't lift his arm after getting bumped into, so let's fire the coach and move all the role players.

We'll all be shocked and amazed when we don't win again next year or the year after and just keep cycling thru more players and coaches.

I don't think a single person in here has said D'Lo was the ONLY reason they lost, but him going 1-9 from 3 one game, scoreless in another and 2-10 from 3 in another game certainly did not help.

He's just not a playoff caliber starting guard period, he'll have a moment here or there but he got the vast majority does not produce to his regular season capabilities.

Question: Was DLo the only reason they lost, or were there bigger issues or even just other issues?
Was every single player (except for AD) a reason they lost?

If that’s the case, then you figure out what/where you can upgrade at.

backup 5, rebounding, a wing with size. Those are all things they can upgrade with a pretty good certainty.
The PG spot, without hurting other areas isn’t a certainty they can improve at.

There’s a fair debate that they can’t win a title again with any of the guys they have.
It's basketball. Of course one person is not the reason for a loss. Was he a significant reason for the loss? In my opinion yes.

It's bigger than just the past series though. There is a mountain of evidence that points to this player not being able to perform in the playoffs. If you have this evidence and your goal is a title, it is only logical to figure out a way to get rid of this guy and replace him with a better performer. IMO it is a fact that he isn't a playoff performer. With that info, why would you trot him out again when you are going for a title? Obviously you try your hardest to move on from him and get a replacement. I know this is easier said than done.

He also clearly has a loser's mentality. For a guy who loved Kobe, you should be able to see all the loser tendencies of Dlo. It was fine when he was young, but he's going on his 10th season now. He is what he is.

It's basketball. Of course one person is not the reason for a loss. Was he a significant reason for the loss? In my opinion yes.

It's bigger than just the past series though. There is a mountain of evidence that points to this player not being able to perform in the playoffs. If you have this evidence and your goal is a title, it is only logical to figure out a way to get rid of this guy and replace him with a better performer. IMO it is a fact that he isn't a playoff performer. With that info, why would you trot him out again when you are going for a title? Obviously you try your hardest to move on from him and get a replacement. I know this is easier said than done.

He also clearly has a loser's mentality. For a guy who loved Kobe, you should be able to see all the loser tendencies of Dlo. It was fine when he was young, but he's going on his 10th season now. He is what he is.

Then what’s the plan?

It’s pretty much the same thing.
Lakers thread: “We gotta get rid of DLo”
What’s the plan?

Trading DLo for Wendell Carter Jr is not an idea.

Back
Top Bottom