**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

If…. Hurley is the guy.

I think it increases the likelihood they pick and keep 17.
Doesn’t mean if a good deal hinges on trading 17 that they decline.
But hiring a college coach and in the face of the new CBA, where you need homegrown guys and cheap contributing salaries, hiring a college coach to develop guys, especially in a weaker draft fits that idea.

And if they do draft, they’ve already floated taking 3/4 year guys who are further down the development line.

Last edited:
Think my favorite non-star trade is Rui, Reddish, #17 for DFS, Day'Ron Sharpe and a future second.

Not without it's downsides, but it gets a proven 3&D wing, young backup center, and draft compensation. And most importantly it gets Reddish off the team.

Better him than a podcaster. Would be good for the long view side of things in terms of developing young(er) players with a coach that "should" be there long term.

Curious what the money will look like.

Better him than a podcaster. Would be good for the long view side of things in terms of developing young(er) players with a coach that "should" be there long term.

Curious what the money will look like.

Guessing five or six years for at least ~$8M per year, if not $10M.

Think my favorite non-star trade is Rui, Reddish, #17 for DFS, Day'Ron Sharpe and a future second.

Not without it's downsides, but it gets a proven 3&D wing, young backup center, and draft compensation. And most importantly it gets Reddish off the team.

DFS is a risky bet as a shooter.
3 really bad seasons to start his career as a shooter. 3 pretty good to follow. And 2 mediocre/bad seasons in 22-23 / 23-24

But I do think it may be giving up too much with 17 attached. DFS also doesn’t move me that much. So maybe it’s me

DFS is a risky bet as a shooter.
3 really bad seasons to start his career as a shooter. 3 pretty good to follow. And 2 mediocre/bad seasons in 22-23 / 23-24

But I do think it may be giving up too much with 17 attached. DFS is a better fit than Rui. But I wouldn’t say all context aside that DFS is better.
Definitely not confident in his shooting holding up. If only he was like two years younger.

I think I'm now moving on the Jarrett Allen train. I don't see any star level trade happening.
- Trae & Lavine would decimate the team to get to $44 mil
- Mitchell would require a lot of picks going out, and I think he will just stay
- Dejounte Murray doesn't get done without AR. And the Lakers won't budge on that.

Cavs are going to move forward with Mitchell & Mobley. Garland for Ingram makes snese.

Rui + JHS + Cam or Hayes if one opts in + 2029 1st, a 2026 pick swap & better of the 2025 2nds for Allen.

If not Jarrett Allen. I guess Rui & a pick swap for Wendell Carter.
(Mitchell Robinson would make sense, but Lakers and Knicks won't be able to trade with each other because of 1st Apron rules, Knicks may be able to manuever underneath, but I think they end up hitting it with OG, Hartenstein, and Precious + draft picks).

Iirc, think a Dallas trade was centered on Jamison and Antoine Walker. Portland was sniffing around too. Think that was Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff.

I'm struggling to think of successful NCAA to NBA coaches.
The only references I'm thinking of are Cal Coaching the Nets and Billy D, currently coaching the Bulls.
Neither are good examples. 🤣😬

Vando is younger than both Rui and Reaves.
IMO Rui has the least likelihood of the top 6 Lakers from last year to be on the team in 2024-25.

I had it too. :pimp:

shaq-the-lakers-make-history-slam-cover-getty-images.jpg

Looking at that picture, I fully understand what Shaq meant when said, first title 300lbs, second title 325lbs, third title 375lbs. And feel what Kobe was frustrated about when Shaq said, I’ll be in shape and ready to go by March.

I like the potential hire. It's gives us a real head coach. He has the experience running his own show, Develop players, etc. They need to finally have some stability.

It's weird move considering Bron and AD's timeline, though. I think he'd be a great coach, but there ain't no development happening right now. :lol:

Bron/AD/AR are ready to go. I don't think you've got years to really establish anything. Hurley is a coaches coach though so I think he can adapt. Hopefully very quickly.

Unless this is all a smoke screen.

Hurley is a damn good coach with resources - he was crap at URI but his scouting recruiting of athletic dudes to Uconn had college bball in shambles.

His offensive motion sets they had running has a mix of knockdown shooters and athletic slashers. - aka slomo DLO is gone

It's weird move considering Bron and AD's timeline, though. I think he'd be a great coach, but there ain't no development happening right now. :lol:

Bron/AD/AR are ready to go. I don't think you've got years to really establish anything. Hurley is a coaches coach though so I think he can adapt. Hopefully very quickly.

Unless this is all a smoke screen.

Bron 40 years old though

Back
Top Bottom