**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

Think he needs a kick in the *** (biggest reason why I liked the potential Hurley hire). Gotta use his physical gifts to be more impactful. Rebounding is key. I think he's adequate enough on defense unless he's guarding someone like MPJ or Keegan Murray. Made a pretty good jump as a shooter this past season.
Pulled up an old draft profile on Rui, here what’s they said about him entering the draft:
1718287184973.png

Sounds pretty accurate, he just strikes me as an offensive first guy…6’8 DLo. All year long my theory was Ham was trying to get him to do more by using the only thing coaches really have to get players attention - playing time. Obviously that didn’t work out but I don’t think a new voice is going to change that. He got to play and the Lakers won a lot of regular season games by Rui playing his way.

Don't have a problem with drafting Bronny at #55, but I have a problem with awarding him a standard roster spot and not a two-way. :smh:

Hiring Bron's guy, then drafting Bron's son, then Maxing Bron out, and then telling me Bron doesn't run the Lakers will be a real treat for us all this summer. I'm pumped. :smokin

Hiring Bron's guy, then drafting Bron's son, then Maxing Bron out, and then telling me Bron doesn't run the Lakers will be a real treat for us all this summer. I'm pumped. :smokin
ABSOLUTE-ly.
If I make 3 moves in your favor, does that mean you control me? You didn't ask, but I'm trying to win you over so I do these 3 things; are you running things?
It's worded weirdly but it's a simple question.
Simple answer, too: "No. It's possible for someone ELSE to be running things but pandering to whoever they're trying to retain/win over/whatever. That doesn't mean the person being 'courted' runs things."
That's 'gray area' thinking, though. :wink:

Bobby Marks off-season:
Los Angeles Lakers

• The next coach. After firing Darvin Ham and the rejection by Dan Hurley, finding the right person who fits in the long term.
  • The next LeBron James contract. James has a $51.4 million player option. If he declines the option, he would then become eligible to sign a three-year, $162 million contract with the Lakers. He would also be eligible to negotiate a no-trade clause. James can extend for two years and $112 million if he opts in.
  • The $18.7 million D'Angelo Russell player option. If Russell opts in, the Lakers are a first-apron team and restricted to how they add to their roster, either in free agency or a trade. However, Russell opting out gives the Lakers one fewer trade asset and a void to replace his offensive production (18 ppg).
  • Do the Lakers have enough trade assets to make any big deals? Outside of James and Anthony Davis, the Lakers could have 10 players earning between $2 million to $19 million. The Lakers can also trade up to three firsts (2024, 2029, 2031) and have multiple years in which they can swap firsts (2026, 2028, 2029, 2030 and 2031).
  • The direction in the draft. Is there a prospect who can help the roster now? Do the Lakers take Bronny James with their second-round pick if he is still available?
The 2024 draft
  • First: No. 17 (own)
  • Second: No. 55 (via LAC)
Draft notebook The Lakers are entering a major offseason and potentially big changes to their roster while trying to maximize the situation for LeBron James. If they keep the 17th pick, expect them to target prospects they feel can contribute right away to give James another chance at title contention. Naturally, speculation persists Los Angeles might target Bronny James at No. 55, presuming he's still on the draft board. -- Woo
Team needs
  • Shooting
  • Another ball handler who can create for others
  • Crafty 3-and-D Players
  • Defensive lengthy wings
  • A playable and versatile backup center capable of finishing games with Davis
  • Improved health from key reserves
  • Defensive development from Austin Reaves
Future draft assets rating: 5 out of 10
The Lakers owe New Orleans an unprotected first in 2025 and a 2027 top-4 protected first to Utah. Besides its own first in June, Los Angeles can trade a 2029, 2030 or 2031 first. The maximum allowed is two (2029 and 2031). The Lakers have four second-round picks available to trade.
Cash: $7.0 million (to send) | $7.0 million (to receive)
Cap space breakdown: Including their first-round pick, the Lakers are over the $178.7 million first apron next season and are $4.8 million below the $189.6 million second apron. They will get financial relief if Russell declines his player option. The Lakers are projected to be a repeater tax team for the fourth consecutive season if Russell opts in.
CBA impact: The Lakers must have an eye toward their 2024-25 finances if they make any trades. Currently they are allowed to take back more money in a trade, aggregate contracts to trade for a single player making a high salary, and send cash in a trade. However, using any of the three options prior to July 1 would trigger the second apron. The first apron also gets triggered if the Lakers take back more money than they send out in any trade.

Capture.PNG

Dates to watch
  • June 29: The deadline to exercise the player options of James ($51.4 million), Jaxson Hayes ($2.5 million), Cam Reddish ($2.5 million) and Russell ($18.7 million); the last day to tender one-year qualifying offers to Max Christie, Colin Castleton and Skylar Mays.
Extension eligible: James (as of Aug. 18)
Free-agent status

• LeBron James | Bird | Player
  • D'Angelo Russell | Bird | Player
  • Max Christie | Early Bird | RFA
  • Spencer Dinwiddie | Non-Bird | UFA
  • Jaxson Hayes | Non-Bird | Player
  • Cam Reddish | Non-Bird | Player
  • Taurean Prince | Non-Bird | UFA
  • Christian Wood | Non-Bird | Player
  • Colin Castleton | Non-Bird | RFA
  • Skylar Mays | Non-Bird | RFA
  • Harry Giles | Non-Bird | RFA

What do you see with him? I’m not a fan but I could be biased and missing something.
You missing a lot if you referring to Reaves

AR is a stARboy

But if you referring to Rui, yeah man I agree, I’m no longer a fan. Rui is soft and lacks intensity. Hayes is more valuable to LAL than Hoochiemura

Last edited:
Yea now I don’t like Hurley. And it’s making me even more annoyed at the Lakers FO. And Bron for a matter of fact.
Just playing in our faces. Disgusting. Get me off of this ride.

I’ll answer your question if you answer mine first.

😂

I got ya.

Hurley, I would have hoped.

Similar to Phil back in the day sort of flexing against Jerry West, I hope it would have been Hurley's show to run.

At the end of the day, I don't think they offer him without Bron's signoff (which I believe he did)

I got ya.

Hurley, I would have hoped.

Similar to Phil back in the day sort of flexing against Jerry West, I hope it would have been Hurley's show to run.

At the end of the day, I don't think they offer him without Bron's signoff (which I believe he did)
So what you’re saying is if the Lakers HAD hired Hurley, it would have been their call but they don’t do it without Lebron’s co-sign. But still it would have been a Pelinka/Buss move.

Unlike JJ where it’s a Lebron influenced move and one where he’s practicing being LeGM again.

I like Rui.

great size, knock down jumper, good #3-4 option on offense.

Hard to move on D, good help defender. Not the quickest laterally, doesn't have the greatest instincts/anticipation.

I agree he got flaws and seems unmotivated at times.

He can play well in the playoffs, we seen him torch Memphis and Golden State.

I think Ham was ****ing with his confidence this season, never got into the rhythm he was in the year prior.

But I think he's a great PIECE, obviously not someone you build around but a good complimentary player.

Good contract too, great value.

Even worse Hurley basically said there was a number that would have got him to leave. So frustrating.

What i wonder is did he ever give them that number or is he just saying to this save face because really there was never a number and he used the Lakers to get more from UCONN?

I don't believe Hurley. Especially with his connection to Wojo who clearly has an agenda against the Lakers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom