[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
started from the top now we here 
pimp.gif

[quote name="sea manup"]started from the top now we here :pimp:
[/quote]your attempt > mine a couple weeks ago

I had asked grandtheftwizard if he could use his gif reversing powers to reverse songs, so we could have Kobe holding a trophy or something Finals-y, while Drake sings "Started from here now we're at the bottom."

:\

I'm not so good w/ the jokes and the one-liners and what not, nope.

we need a long reverse gif that shows stern grabbing the trophy from kobe's hands and rewinds all the way to stern announcing that the lakers (utah) have the first pick of the 1979 draft

if only they had a draft lottery back then and the footage existed 
tired.gif

I really hope this is sarcasm. If it is.. Good move, but regardless it if it was sarcasm it is to every one else.

There are no adjustments.

We have 9 healthy players (5 of them cannot play smaller than PF)... Do you want them to cut Farmar, Henry to sign a couple more guys.

Who else on this team can play PG?

How can he change the minutes to keep guys who are HIGH ENERGY from getting tired..

It is why Jordan Hill will never be a good starter. Why Jodie Meeks will never be a good starter. Why Swaggy P. Why Wes Johnson will never be good starters.

They can't manage their energy.

I want you to make a prediction how many games Phil Jackson could win with Swaggy P as your #1 scorer. Pau who has trouble playing anywhere, even where he wants to play.

This team as current constructed (if this was the roster on Opening Night) that has no depth... No Superstar.. No Number 1 scorer. No team leader. No defensive players... Is the worst team in the NBA.

Not because of Mike D'Antoni. But because that's how much talent there is left on this team with the roles they have to satisfy.

We have one of the best benches in the league, when their job is to be bench players.. Out of Marshall, Farmar, Blake, Meeks, Swaggy, Wes, X, Hill, Kaman, Sacre.. Name one of them would be a starter on a good team on Day 1 (not because someone else got injured)?

You know the answer and that's why we went from 10-10 to 14-23.

Are me and Kobe the only ones watching the games and actually know what's going on or nah?

Coaching is a game of ADJUSTMENTS.... U can't play speedball and not even have a sub for the point guard position. It's impossible! Just simply telling your PG to walk the ball up the court more will get guys in better positions to score and give bigs enough time to get in the paint to either score or hit the glass!

Also, fast break DEFENSE is not being coached. All those chase down blocks in Miami that stuff is COACHED. That's Spoel and his staff putting the right athletes in the right lanes to contain fast break opportunities. I've seen four or five plays THIS WEEK where Kendall just let the guy run past him for a dunk on the break just to get a quick inbound. That's MDA's philosophy!!! Let the man score so we can get the ball back, and it shows in the fast break points when we play teams. Like y'all MDA is more frustrated with a turnover than bad defense!

U said we have a team full of high energy guys just imagine what they'd look like if they weren't!

The team has giving up 137, 110, 115, and 123 in the last four breh with 2 days being the longest stretch off between these games... That style of play is beating up these players man. Guys too tired to even get a defensive stance, no left on jumpers b/c they shooting 100 jumpers, while chasing after the other teams who's getting 150 layups

Last edited:
Year before (11-12) we got Nash, he carried a really bad Suns team to just barely missing the playoffs. Dwight Howard was always the plan. Nash was supposed to push us over the top with Kobe, Dwight & Pau.

Sometimes you guys make statements just to make them.

Funny seeing you here. Who cares what a washed up 39 year old point guard who is slow and can't defend did last year? Nash was a bad pick up point blank. That money could have went been spent better elsewhere.

Kendall Marshall isn't a good athlete, what do you expect from him in open space against quick guards? :lol:

And Wes Johnson has been doing those chase down blocks all season, so I guess D'Antoni does teach defense. :wow:

Last edited:
Kendall Marshall isn't a good athlete, what do you expect from him in open space against quick guards? :lol:

And Wes Johnson has been doing those chase down blocks all season, so I guess D'Antoni does teach defense. :wow:

That's y'all problem :lol:
Dudes be in this tread posting that can't eem dribble a basketball and shows in the way y'all talk about the game :lol: "Marshall isn't a good athlete how do u expect him to play defense" is basically what u said :rofl: COMEDY

I knew one of you would read that and confuse what I meant about putting athletes in the right position to stop fastbreaks :lol:

The bigger picture is Kendall wouldn't be the only one filling a lane if the FB defense was being coached.

Last edited:
Year before (11-12) we got Nash, he carried a really bad Suns team to just barely missing the playoffs. Dwight Howard was always the plan. Nash was supposed to push us over the top with Kobe, Dwight & Pau.

Sometimes you guys make statements just to make them.

Funny seeing you here. Who cares what a washed up 39 year old point guard who is slow and can't defend did last year? Nash was a bad pick up point blank. That money could have went been spent better elsewhere.

No it couldn't.

Had we had CP3 we would not have gotten Nash.. But we didn't. So we were in the market for a PG.

So we searched for another PG remember, we gambled and traded away a pick for Sessions also to get out of Luke's contract. Traded a pick for Hill. So we are in a win now mode after 2012. With no pick. We were also planning and going after Dwight Howard.

We got Sessions. Everyone knows I love Sessions. But was he the PG to win us a title? The PG to entice the other superstar we wanted to say "Yeah I'll play in LA?" No.

So we had to find another PG. The best PG we could have signed would have been for $3.1mil. And that would mean that the terrible bench we had in 11-12 would be carried over to 12-13 because we wouldn't have any money to create a bench. We'd only have Hill because of his Bird Right's and minimum contracts.

So when the opportunity to get a Hall of Fame PG, All-Star PG (not 10 years ago, but that past year), who had not missed more than 10 games in a season since 00-01 when he missed 12, who carried a bunch of terrible players almost to the playoffs in the West, made a bum like Marcin Gortat look like a top 5 Center, was 5th in Estimated Wins added to a team for PGs.. And you would still have your MiniMLE, you didn't have to trade the Suns any players, you could get him for a Trade Exception, and what was thought to be at best a 25 pick to win a championship that year, and the year after with a massive Star Powered Lineup, not build for a title 5 years from 2012.

There wasn't a place to better way to spend the money..

:lol: At you saying Who cares what he did the year before we got him. That was the barometer for getting him, and for any team getting almost any player.

Last edited:
No it couldn't.

Had we had CP3 we would not have gotten Nash.. But we didn't. So we were in the market for a PG.

So we searched for another PG remember, we gambled and traded away a pick for Sessions also to get out of Luke's contract. Traded a pick for Hill. So we are in a win now mode after 2012. With no pick. We were also planning and going after Dwight Howard.

We got Sessions. Everyone knows I love Sessions. But was he the PG to win us a title? The PG to entice the other superstar we wanted to say "Yeah I'll play in LA?" No.

So we had to find another PG. The best PG we could have signed would have been for $3.1mil. And that would mean that the terrible bench we had in 11-12 would be carried over to 12-13 because we wouldn't have any money to create a bench. We'd only have Hill because of his Bird Right's and minimum contracts.

So when the opportunity to get a Hall of Fame PG, All-Star PG (not 10 years ago, but that past year), who had not missed more than 10 games in a season since 00-01 when he missed 12, who carried a bunch of terrible players almost to the playoffs in the West, made a bum like Marcin Gortat look like a top 5 Center, was 5th in Estimated Wins added to a team for PGs.. And you would still have your MiniMLE, you didn't have to trade the Suns any players, you could get him for a Trade Exception, and what was thought to be at best a 25 pick to win a championship that year, and the year after with a massive Star Powered Lineup, not build for a title 5 years from 2012.

:lol: At you saying Who cares what he did the year before we got him. That was the barometer for getting him, and for any team getting almost any player.

No other team would have given a slow 39 year old point guard who can't defend that much money. I didn't even read the rest.

the only real fastbreak defense is to not turn the ball over

Another terrible post from someone that's never hooped.

Turnovers happen G, they gonna keep happening. Guys get turnovers for being passive, guys get turnovers for being aggressive. Ain't no way around it...

Y'all problem and I've seen this MDA is y'all get more upset at the turn over vs the bad defense. I've seen the team commit TOs other teams runs back and gets a windmill dunk while 3 or 4 of our players barely make it past half court and MDA calls a time out all pissed. Then u look at his body language and he's pointing at the offensive end of the floor barking at the players for the bad pass :stoneface:

Hubie Brown alluded to this several times last night. That if he stuck around on a NBA squad, you would have to design the defense to give him help at ALL times and basically "hide" him on defense

Are me and Kobe the only ones watching the games and actually know what's going on or nah?

Coaching is a game of ADJUSTMENTS.... U can't play speedball and not even have a sub for the point guard position. It's impossible! Just simply telling your PG to walk the ball up the court more will get guys in better positions to score and give bigs enough time to get in the paint to either score or hit the glass!

Also, fast break DEFENSE is not being coached. All those chase down blocks in Miami that stuff is COACHED. That's Spoel and his staff putting the right athletes in the right lanes to contain fast break opportunities. I've seen four or five plays THIS WEEK where Kendall just let the guy run past him for a dunk on the break just to get a quick inbound. That's MDA's philosophy!!! Let the man score so we can get the ball back, and it shows in the fast break points when we play teams. Like y'all MDA is more frustrated with a turnover than bad defense!

U said we have a team full of high energy guys just imagine what they'd look like if they weren't!

The team has giving up 137, 110, 115, and 123 in the last four breh with 2 days being the longest stretch off between these games... That style of play is beating up these players man. Guys too tired to even get a defensive stance, no left on jumpers b/c they shooting 100 jumpers, while chasing after the other teams who's getting 150 layups

You know you are talking to someone who coaches basketball right?

You want to know why he plays "Speedball" on offense because it plays to the strength of every player on the team. Xavier Henry, Wes Johnson, Kendall Marshall were all on their way out of the league. With Jordan Farmar already gone. Nick Young a year or two away from being out of the league.

You want to know why he doesn't sub for the PG.. Because there is no sub for the PG. We are on our 4th String PG, a guy who was a lottery pick, and was kicked out of the league after a year :lol:. Our starter injured, our backup injured, our backup's backup injured. So the backup to two backup's is the starting PG.

Fast Breaks happen more often than not by turnovers. Stop turning the ball over, and you don't have as many Fast Break Opportunities.

You think MDA says get out of the way.. What type of **** is that? You are making assumptions of something you don't know about.

Kendall Marshall Draft Express Profile:

"The defensive end, however, is perhaps the most concerning aspect of Marshall's game projecting to the next level, as his lack of quickness on this end of the floor is concerning in the dribble-drive centric NBA, and already is a problem against high level competition in college. While Marshall brings a good effort and fundamental level to the table at the college level, he is prone to being blown by more athletic competition due to his below average lateral quickness, and often has to give up notable space on the perimeter to compensate. His excellent size allows him to offset his other limitations somewhat, notably in the pick-and-roll game at times, but overall his ability to defend point guards consistently is a question mark projecting to the NBA, and he will really need to put in work to maximize his effectiveness on this end of the floor."

MDA flips out equally to bad defense as he does stupid plays on offense.

Last edited:
No other team would have given a slow 39 year old point guard who can't defend that much money. I didn't even read the rest.

Especially w/o a younger PG to come off the bench which was my whole gripe with signing Nash....

But E and everybody insisted Nash always took care of his body and was iron man

its the bad pass that leads to the easy basket, even in highschool a 3on2 2on1 fastbreak is expected to produce points every time. not game planning for someone to cover corey brewer when he cherry picks is bad coaching, not being able to stop a fastbreak because of a bad turnover is bad execution of the offense if you give the other team the ball and they have an advantage because of it you blame the offense for turning the ball over and not the undermanned defense.

when talking about fastbreak defense, the pg is usually always the first one back because he is the closest to half court. other than wes johnson we dont have guys like DJ or lebron to sprint 40 feet and get chase down blocks, being a slower team that is always tired from having to play too many minutes we need to keep the turnovers down.

No it couldn't.

Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks.. They actually had a bidding war for him.. We came in before he made a decision, and gave him the best chance at a title.

The fact that you didn't read the rest. Shows how little you know about what the Lakers did, and tried to do from 2011-2012.

Just in case you don't believe me
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8129885/sources-new-york-knicks-pursue-options-land-steve-nash

"Nash would receive a three-year contract in the $25 million range while Phoenix would receive Shumpert and a handful of cap-friendly contracts such as Toney Douglas, Josh Harrellson and Jerome Jordan."

"Sources say that the Toronto Raptors in Nash's native Canada (with a three-year bid worth $36 million)"

Last edited:

Especially w/o a younger PG to come off the bench which was my whole gripe with signing Nash....

But E and everybody insisted Nash always took care of his body and was iron man

Actually you can go back to the Off-season Thread of that year, and I said We need to keep Sessions as the backup... Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

after getting dwight and nash EVERYONE thought we were the best team in the league and the title was ours to lose. mitch took a risk by putting that team together in order to win now and it didnt end up working out, nothing wrong with that. if it works out then we had a great chance of getting 17, if not that sucks but at least we took a shot at it. thats what i ask for as a fan, people always look in hindsight. the blazers mad the right choice at the time in drafting oden, it didnt work out for them but thats bad luck not bad decision making. just like the nash signing, we tried to put together a title team in one off season, mitch did a great job of doing so, it just didnt happen to work out.

People highlighting Kendall's athleticism doesn't mean he or any one else on the team shouldn't try to get back on defense to stop the break WHICH WAS MY INITIAL POST. If u have a team full of high energy guys push them to use that energy to defend.

People highlighting Kendall's defense like they didn't praise the team for trading for Nash who basically has the same (if not worse defensive tendencies b/c he's smaller) than Kendall. Only difference is Kendall is younger and will be cheaper.

At the end of the day, the game has to slow down. If not for the defense at least for health purposes. A team with 8 players in a jersey can't push the damn ball every single possession

Last edited:
People highlighting Kendall's athleticism doesn't mean he or any one else on the team shouldn't try to get back on defense to stop the break WHICH WAS MY INITIAL POST. If u have a team full of high energy guys push them to use that energy to defend.

Are you saying Mike D'Antoni doesn't want him to get back on defense.... He doesn't want his players to get back on defense?

An NBA Coach advocates that his players do not get back on defense when they turn the ball over? Is that what you are saying?

Hell while he's at it.. Why even bother.. Let all 5 guys stand baseline and just watch the other team score.. If you think that he wants his players to just allow the other team to score, so he can get another possession... Why doesn't he do this? The other team scores in 4 seconds, he'll have dozens of more possessions.

But I can make the argument to increase the pace (thereby getting more possessions) would be better (you know, if I wanted the team to win :lol:) because it gives the team more opportunities than slowing things down because opposing teams are going to be able to set up their defenses and dissect the team on offense.

Last edited:
Actually you can go back to the Off-season Thread of that year, and I said We need to keep Sessions as the backup... Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Keep sessions... Really. Keep sessions View media item 739941

This is where your argument falls apart..

You said that it was a bad move because we had no backup (no young backup more specifically)

And you said E (which is me correct?) I'm trying to convince everyone we didn't need it. When I said the day of the trade that this deal isn't as good if we don't keep Ramon Sessions (a young PG) (one of the better backup PGs in the league, to actually you know, be the backup for Steve Nash).

Last edited:
You know you are talking to someone who coaches basketball right?

You want to know why he plays "Speedball" on offense because it plays to the strength of every player on the team. Xavier Henry, Wes Johnson, Kendall Marshall were all on their way out of the league. With Jordan Farmar already gone. Nick Young a year or two away from being out of the league.

You want to know why he doesn't sub for the PG.. Because there is no sub for the PG. We are on our 4th String PG, a guy who was a lottery pick, and was kicked out of the league after a year :lol:. Our starter injured, our backup injured, our backup's backup injured. So the backup to two backup's is the starting PG.

Fast Breaks happen more often than not by turnovers. Stop turning the ball over, and you don't have as many Fast Break Opportunities.

You think MDA says get out of the way.. What type of **** is that? You are making assumptions of something you don't know about.

Kendall Marshall Draft Express Profile:

"The defensive end, however, is perhaps the most concerning aspect of Marshall's game projecting to the next level, as his lack of quickness on this end of the floor is concerning in the dribble-drive centric NBA, and already is a problem against high level competition in college. While Marshall brings a good effort and fundamental level to the table at the college level, he is prone to being blown by more athletic competition due to his below average lateral quickness, and often has to give up notable space on the perimeter to compensate. His excellent size allows him to offset his other limitations somewhat, notably in the pick-and-roll game at times, but overall his ability to defend point guards consistently is a question mark projecting to the NBA, and he will really need to put in work to maximize his effectiveness on this end of the floor."

MDA flips out equally to bad defense as he does stupid plays on offense.

Read the first sentence and just :smh:

All these athletes on this team can easily get buckets and into the paint with down screens and other screens off the ball....

At the end of the day, if the game don't slow down when we have 4 or 5 games in 6 nights they all gonna be blowouts and more guys will get injured. Simple as that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom