[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
Heading to see the show tomorrow night. Glad i can make another game. Rooting for a win...but not too upset if we lose.

Ready for the highest pick possible and hopefully getting some more talent on the squad.

Hoping for love...but I'll let it play out.

But i'll tell you i'm paying just about face value for tickets now!

Win or lose anytime i get to go to staples, I feel blessed. Been rooting for this team for 31 years and it won't stop now!

Love. :nthat:

hi-res-104732594-kobe-bryant-of-the-los-angeles-lakers-and-kevin-love-of_crop_exact.jpg

tumblr_m8s4q8QyhA1qcmnsoo1_r1_400.gif

No... if Love forced their hand they'd find the best trade for them and that would not be Pau Gasol.

Forcing your team to trade you is one issue, forcing them to trade you exactly where you want is another.

Melo is the only one to do it and the Knicks emptied everything they had to accomplish that.

There won't be any other teams willing to trade for Kevin Love if him and his agent made it known to other teams he's a one year rental and will leave after a year to sign with the Lakers.

Not many other teams would be willing to risk giving up a 1st rounder for a one year rental player.

Last edited:
Heading to see the show tomorrow night. Glad i can make another game. Rooting for a win...but not too upset if we lose.

Ready for the highest pick possible and hopefully getting some more talent on the squad.

Hoping for love...but I'll let it play out.

But i'll tell you i'm paying just about face value for tickets now!

Win or lose anytime i get to go to staples, I feel blessed. Been rooting for this team for 31 years and it won't stop now!

Good sh*t homie.

Your one of the real Laker fans here on NT who's supported this team no matter what.

Magic must have realized he's not bigger than the Lakers.
‏@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: I want to give Coach D'Antoni credit because offensively he's put the Lakers' players in positions to be successful!

@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: I'm going to stop complaining. I'm going to support and encourage Jim Buss and Coach D'Antoni because I love the Lakers!

@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: It doesn't do the Lakers players, coaches or ownership any good for me to complain.

Last edited:
No... if Love forced their hand they'd find the best trade for them and that would not be Pau Gasol.

Forcing your team to trade you is one issue, forcing them to trade you exactly where you want is another.

Melo is the only one to do it and the Knicks emptied everything they had to accomplish that.

There won't be any other teams willing to trade for Kevin Love if him and his agent made it known to other teams he's a one year rental and will leave after a year to sign with the Lakers.

Not many other teams would be willing to risk giving up a 1st rounder for a one year rental player.

Dwight Howard made it pretty clear he didn't want to play in LA and that didn't stop the Lakers.

And you can't really expect Love and his agent to have a Laker-track mind like that in the first place. OKC can probably even put together a better package than the Lakers. You think Love and his agent would say "na you ain't the Lakers Kevin don't wanna play for you?"

Last edited:
Magic must have realized he's not bigger than the Lakers.
‏@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: I want to give Coach D'Antoni credit because offensively he's put the Lakers' players in positions to be successful!

@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: I'm going to stop complaining. I'm going to support and encourage Jim Buss and Coach D'Antoni because I love the Lakers!

@MagicJohnson
Laker Nation: It doesn't do the Lakers players, coaches or ownership any good for me to complain.
im pretty sure he was responding to this

http://www.lakersnation.com/magic-j...-from-constructive-to-destructive/2014/01/30/

this is just a general question and thought it'd get ignored in the NBA thread..

but i read kyrie was unhappy in cleveland. he can decline his qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent correct? hypothetically what would be his cap space number if another team made a run for him?

this is just a general question and thought it'd get ignored in the NBA thread..

but i read kyrie was unhappy in cleveland. he can decline his qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent correct? hypothetically what would be his cap space number if another team made a run for him?

He would have to turn down the max deal he's offered, and accept a 1 year qualifying offer.

whats the max contract he would be able to get from another team?

Doesn't matter he'd have to turn down every offer from every team.

If he accepts an offer from Lakers for 4 years... Cavs can match, and he has no choice. He's a Cav for 4 years.

isn't there a way to not become a restricted free agent, though? like if he declined every single extension from the cavs. or is the way the CBA is now, a player drafted is stuck to that city, if the city wants them, for a minimum of 9 years?

whats the max contract he would be able to get from another team?
Doesn't matter he'd have to turn down every offer from every team.

If he accepts an offer from Lakers for 4 years... Cavs can match, and he has no choice. He's a Cav for 4 years.
so the only way he could leave early is for him to turn down every offer and accept a one year offer from any team so that the cavs only get him for an extra year after matching?

even though that would never happen

Here's the scenario.

In 2015 he's a restricted Free Agent.

He'd have to accept the 1 year $9.8mil qualifying offer. Cannot accept any deal longer than that. Would leave tens of millions of dollars on the table for time being of course.

Then in 2016 he'll be an unrestricted Free Agent.

Last edited:
Restricted free agency applies to all first-round picks (but not second rounders ie Lance).

For a player to "skip" RFA and completely control their own destiny, they'd need to pass up two kinds of big paydays (the extension and those offer sheets they'll see in the summer of RFA).

That's a lot to expect from a player who hasn't made star money yet.

The closest we'll see are players accepting shorter 3-year extensions like Lebron, Wade, and Bosh did. So they can get paid and still control their destinies sooner.

thanks for the info. was just curious. lakers haven't had to lock any of their draft picks up since bynum so i'm unfamiliar with the process :lol:

Back
Top Bottom