[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I guess what my man is trynna say..
U know the saying, if it aint broke, etc.........

Well, the opposite applies here. Meaning....try "something" to not allow so many points in the paint/2nd chance points.

Slow the pace to slow the gm and give opponents less possessions. Not settling for long 2s and 3s leading to long rebounds and run outs. Not forcing pick n rolls leading to turnovers and run outs.

I guess what my man is sayin...he gets theres limited means to fix it.....but pringles doesnt help the cause.

To yall....it IS helping the cause.

But...........why do I have a feeling...that even with a improved personnel including a top 5 pick...wiz MJ-kobe...a max FA and a similar bench, that because of the style (more posessions/forced tempo/high turnover rates/poor rotations/defensive scrambling, etc).............wed still manage to give up 100+ppg.......its a biproduct of pringles. Comes with territory.....

When they were 10-9, what was the ppg allowed on ave...or were we just scoring in waves allowing us to outscore ppl when the triples were falling???? Now, its simple...not enough personnel to have various offensive spurts from random players (go back to det, bk and sac gms)...the probability is slimmer...less margin for error, u keep chuckin in hopes that someone gets hot and u outscore someone. Zero...and I repeat....zero sense of defensive structure.

U know what I always see? The other tm sees a weakness and they continue to exploit it..over and over...whether it be an individual matchup....a tactic (switching on PnRs/doubling PnRs)..etc....I always see defenders shading baseline and causing a breakdown forcing a defensive scramble....how bout NOT SHADING baseline? How bout NOT going underneathe a high screen allowing uncontested treys (Dj augustin last week)??? Its PATHETIC. Dj hit like 5 jumpers UNMOLESTED off simple high screens.....I mean, would thibs stand for that?? Would rick carlisle put darius morris on melo??????

I know who would.

I guess what my man is trynna say..
U know the saying, if it aint broke, etc.........

Well, the opposite applies here. Meaning....try "something" to not allow so many points in the paint/2nd chance points.

Slow the pace to slow the gm and give opponents less possessions. Not settling for long 2s and 3s leading to long rebounds and run outs. Not forcing pick n rolls leading to turnovers and run outs.

I guess what my man is sayin...he gets theres limited means to fix it.....but pringles doesnt help the cause.

To yall....it IS helping the cause.

But...........why do I have a feeling...that even with a improved personnel including a top 5 pick...wiz MJ-kobe...a max FA and a similar bench, that because of the style (more posessions/forced tempo/high turnover rates/poor rotations/defensive scrambling, etc).............wed still manage to give up 100+ppg.......its a biproduct of pringles. Comes with territory.....

When they were 10-9, what was the ppg allowed on ave...or were we just scoring in waves allowing us to outscore ppl when the triples were falling???? Now, its simple...not enough personnel to have various offensive spurts from random players (go back to det, bk and sac gms)...the probability is slimmer...less margin for error, u keep chuckin in hopes that someone gets hot and u outscore someone. Zero...and I repeat....zero sense of defensive structure.

People on here don't want to hear that, its easier to just keep giving MDA excuses, knowing damn well he's an assclown of a coach

We don't have any defensive rim protectors.. Even with a slowed pace. It does not change that. It doesn't change that we are a horrendously bad defensive rebounding team. It doesn't change that Pau has his feet in cinder blocks. It doesn't change Kendall Marshall not having any tools to defend. It does not change Wes Johnson having low basketball IQ. It does not change that we have a team full of ROLE PLAYERS starting right now, and having to play 30 + minutes a game.

We have the fifth best defense on 3 point shots. We are 18th overall on opponents FG %.

We have a 2nd year PG that we have to hide on defense. That is unprecedented, even mediocre PG defenders don't have to be hidden. Plenty of young guards who are the opposite of Gary Payton but don't have to be hidden because they can make an effort to keep up with speed. We have a $19million Center who never steps up to defend a shot at the bucket. Currently our best defender doesn't even defend particularly well.

We are one of the worst 10 offensive rebounding teams offensively, and give up the most offensive rebounds. We also give up the most defensive rebounds.

You complain about Ryan Kelly on Melo.. You ask: "Why would you put Ryan Kelly on Melo?" Because Wes Johnson isn't going to score on Melo, and he won't stop Melo either. At least with Kelly you have the chance to capitalize on Melo staying near the basket as the 4 being lax on defense, and Kelly could knock down the 3. For everyone saying well that decision is indicative of how inept Mike D'Antoni is on defense. Melo took 31 shots to score 35 points.

The pace has some to do with it. But the real reason we get 100'd every night is due to easy points in the paint because someone doesn't step up to protect the rim, and we give up a lot of extra chances with easy offensive rebounds.

We all know MDA is an offensive minded coach. His system maximizes offense. Makes scrubs look like real deal role players, and role players look like all stars, and makes really good players look like hall of famers.

If you think all of a sudden a starting lineup of Kendall Marshall - Jodie Meeks - Wes Johnson - Ryan Kelly - Pau Gasol performs much better with Tom Thibadeau as opposed to Mike D'Antoni, you forget that regardless of the who is coaching, you will not find success if you don't have a single defensive anchor. Defensive coaches don't work without a DEFENSIVE ANCHOR. Offensive coaches don't work without an OFFENSIVE ANCHOR.

Do we have either type of anchors? No.

You guys are expecting results from things that don't have the ability to achieve results. You expecting Pau to play like Marc Gasol, and Wes Johnson to be Tony Allen. When neither have the potential.

Fast pace, slow pace.. There are PLENTY of matchups to exploit. We either get outscored in a high scoring game, or outscored in a low scoring game. There's not much difference, and it won't change our Win/Loss record.

Last edited:
^^fully understand and agree...
Im talkin more tactics though. Like jr high fundamentals. Its almost like all that is more glaring....simple things like....losing sight of your man...going under screens on shooters..

So lets say at 10-9 were winning gms 110-106.....now were losing 110-101.....clearly, scoring isn't a glaring issue as much..yeah, jackin up jumpers at a high tempo to keep u in gms...lack of personnel. ..fine, I get it....but at what point do we realize....with dantoni, its just to be expected? Cuz its who he is?

Say we get embiid...a better protector.....and the d keeps getting broke down..hell just be helping to recover on breakdowns.its the scrambling...eventually, u gotta infuse better tactics to minimize that..no? Im not talkin bout transition..I mean in the half court. I guess only time will tell.
#bottomseedforembiid

Stupid mistakes like that can be coached until your face turns blue. But that's players,

Going over the screen on a 3 point shooter, and under for someone who can easily beat you off the dribble is something you should know in Junior High. You're right. That's something that you point out mid-game.

That's something WE (you & I) have no idea whether it's called out in practice. We have to take the word of the reporters who watch the practices.

But when you have a PG who has to go under the pick because he can't keep up, and a center who couldn't defend the Pick & Roll when we had a defensive coach, and when we had the best coach of the past 40 years.

You have to admit at some point, the players are who they thought they were.

Last edited:

hi-res-157253191-pau-gasol-and-head-coach-mike-dantoni-of-the-los_crop_exact.jpg

Jodie:

“I like the city and love it here,” said Meeks. “The coaching staff is great and it’s a storied organization. I always pictured playing in a organization that’s prideful about winning. I love it here and hope I can stay a long time.”

My guy Jodie :pimp:

Not sure that will come to pass, but :pimp: nonetheless.

That makes it Farmar, Jodie & Swagerton von P who truly want to play in LA for a long time.

Last edited:
Six years ago today Pau Gasol was traded to the Lakers.

That entire day ranks up there in my favorite memories as a Laker fan. I still remember everything about that day.

Of course I was. I still remember where and when I found out about the trade.

Pau just ain't popular these days is all. :lol:

Oh yeah definitely, but I trust everyone can still appreciate those days even if they're disappointed in him now.

I hope.

I still remember Kobe going off inToronto that night. He was clearly excited. Had to catch an online stream because KCAL was still on tape delay for the early road games

I remember telling people that Memphis made a better deal than they were getting credit for. (No one cared or listened, all they saw was "Pau for Kwame")

I remember being thrilled Odom and Bynum stayed.

I remember other fanbases were FURIOUS with us.

Oh yeah definitely, but I trust everyone can still appreciate those days even if they're disappointed in him now.

I hope.

I still remember Kobe going off inToronto that night. He was clearly excited. Had to catch an online stream because KCAL was still on tape delay for the early road games
As much as I have disliked what I have seen from Pau the last season and a half or so, he might go down as my favorite player ever.

Back
Top Bottom