Law Graduate Gets Her Day in Court, Suing Law School

^ The more relevant stats to look at are when she was applying there: so a few years before 2008 (when she graduated).

Even then, she should've at least had an idea beforehand.

Was expecting another article about a millennial, but then I read she was 37, lel.

U.S. News & World Report has reported that the average Thomas Jefferson student graduates with $131,800 in debt and 95% of students graduate in debt. On March 22, 2012, U.S. News & World Report included Thomas Jefferson in its list of "10 Law Schools That Lead to the Most Debt." The Wall Street Journal also ran a story in June 2012 listing TJSL as one of the 'bottom five' schools for 2011 graduate employment.

Looks like all the stats are out there, she chose to focus on the one she thought would fit her fantasy.

Yeah brah, but even if, the school shouldn't be allowed to be spreading misinformation like this.

Yes this woman may be entitled, yes maybe she should have educated herself better before making a decision like this, and taking on all this debt.

But that still doesn't excuse a school misleading prospective students.

Even if a student looks at "statistics" to make their decision, there still is the possibility that a school an be and outlier, or outperforming what it says on paper.

Now it is one thing to believe that a school might be an outlier based on incomplete information. It is another thing for a school to market themselves as one, by pedaling knowingly false information.

One customer (and is that she was really a customer) should be lied to no matter how naive or entitled the customer is.

------
If she wasn't lied to though, then baby girl should kick bricks and live with her poor decision

But if the school lied to her, she should get part of her money back. Because she made her decision based on false information.

Last edited:

What was her GPA, 3.5+? No order of the coif? No internship(s)?
This is the competition in California for someone looking for a law job:

-Stanford

-Berkeley

-UCLA

-USC

-UC Irvine

-UC Davis

Those are among the top 35 schools in the country.

Her school, Thomas Jefferson, ranks at 201. If she was top of the class, she still faces an uphill climb and somehow still managed to get a decent paying gig only to turn it down. Jefferson has a 82.1% acceptance rate and has an average LSAT score of 144. You can sleepwalk your way to a score in that range.
I agree, and I listed those things because they all tie into one single overarching point. 

I was given some advice regarding school and job placement that I never forgot, and I'll admit that it sounds callous but it was solid insight. I don't remember it verbatim but it came out to this statement "If you graduate school and don't look good on paper, don't be surprised when you have a hard time finding a job, and dont be surprised when not many people feel sorry for you".

I say that to say that if she did in fact look good on paper then likely she wouldn't even have this problem, and this is an assumption but if she did look good on paper this article would read a lot differently, especially since she's going for the pity angle. It would read something like "Despite her doing all that she could have done in school, getting a 3.5+ GPA, having several internships, etc etc she was still unable to find work". But it doesnt read like that, because she likely didnt do these things.

To add on to your point, if someone is going to Law School, that means they have to lay down a ton of ground work, from excelling in undergrad, to getting letters of recommendation, to crushing the LSAT, and researching your target schools. To do all of these things, and then when it comes time to get into a school, and you get into somewhere thats in the 200's, then you know you're behind the 8 ball to start with compared to people who go to other schools. I personally have no issues with someone going to a school in the 200s, but she should know that its not going to be as easy for her as others, especially in one of the three fields of study where name draw and school ranking plays a major part in recruitment (Law, Medical, Business)

Then to top it all off she gets an offer and turns it down because she thinks its beneath her. There is nothing in this article that says that this isnt 100% her fault. The school may have inflated job placement numbers or even flat out lied but she put herself in the hole in the first place. She's totally culpable and she's going to lose.

Last edited:

-Stanford

-Berkeley

-UCLA

-USC

-UC Irvine

-UC Davis

Her school, Thomas Jefferson, ranks at 201. If she was top of the class, she still faces an uphill climb and somehow still managed to get a decent paying gig only to turn it down. Jefferson has a 82.1% acceptance rate and has an average LSAT score of 144. You can sleepwalk your way to a score in that range.
I agree, and I listed those things because they all tie into one single overarching point. 

I was given some advice regarding school and job placement that I never forgot, and I'll admit that it sounds callous but it was solid insight. I don't remember it verbatim but it came out to this statement "If you graduate school and don't look good on paper, don't be surprised when you have a hard time finding a job, and dont be surprised when not many people feel sorry for you".

I say that to say that if she did in fact look good on paper then likely she wouldn't even have this problem, and this is an assumption but if she did look good on paper this article would read a lot differently, especially since she's going for the pity angle. It would read something like "Despite her doing all that she could have done in school, getting a 3.5+ GPA, having several internships, etc etc she was still unable to find work". But it doesnt read like that, because she likely didnt do these things.

To add on to your point, if someone is going to Law School, that means they have to lay down a ton of ground work, from excelling in undergrad, to getting letters of recommendation, to crushing the LSAT, and researching your target schools. To do all of these things, and then when it comes time to get into a school, and you get into somewhere thats in the 200's, then you know you're behind the 8 ball to start with compared to people who go to other schools. I personally have no issues with someone going to a school in the 200s, but she should know that its not going to be as easy for her as others, especially in one of the three fields of study where name draw and school ranking plays a major part in recruitment (Law, Medical, Business)

Then to top it all off she gets an offer and turns it down because she thinks its beneath her. There is nothing in this article that says that this isnt 100% her fault. The school may have inflated job placement numbers or even flat out lied but she put herself in the hole in the first place. She's totally culpable and she's going to lose.
on a serious note, this is 100% fax

at the end of the day im willing to bet most of her classmates have jobs in the industry. It's not dumb luck that they are more successful than she is, she didnt play her cards right while others did.

-Stanford

-Berkeley

-UCLA

-USC

-UC Irvine

-UC Davis

Good points throughout, but if evidence is there that the school played up stats, she has a good case.

She only asked for $125k in damages though. Why not push for more?

Sidenote: I'm also curious how many other schools inflate stats.

Last edited:
anti you sound like the type of dude who would blame a girl for getting raped.

The story is always the same, the powerful are always blameless and the powerless are always at fault.

The unarmed black kid was walking too slow/ the kid was walking too fast.

The young woman was acting too coy/ the woman was acting slutty.

You need an advanced degree to make a decent living/you shouldn't have taken out loans for college in the first place.

If unarmed black teens wore waist coats and top hats, all women master krav maga and every college graduate can get a Harvard MBA or JD debt free, conservatism can finally work. That and trans people learn to never use the bathroom, gays stay in the closet and disabled people all pay a visit to Benny Hinn.

I can assure you a lot of that student loan debt was to live off from refunds
no you cant lol

Yes you can....my old roommate, back in the day, would do this.

He was 250k in debt from undergrad, grad school, and law school. However, his actual loan amount exceeded what semesters tuition was...so, he looked at it as free $ (at the time).

We lived in a terrible apartment, but had bloomingdales furniture :lol:

Last edited:
no you cant lol

He was 250k in debt from undergrad, grad school, and law school. However, his actual loan amount exceeded what semesters tuition was...so, he looked at it as free $ (at the time).

Didn't realize your roommate was the subject of the OP...

no you cant lol

Didn't realize your roommate was the subject of the OP...

My bad...read what stillin'jewsee said too quickly. U still a gump, tho.

Last edited:
anti you sound like the type of dude who would blame a girl for getting raped.

The story is always the same, the powerful are always blameless and the powerless are always at fault.

The unarmed black kid was walking too slow/ the kid was walking too fast.

The young woman was acting too coy/ the woman was acting slutty.

You need an advanced degree to make a decent living/you shouldn't have taken out loans for college in the first place.

If unarmed black teens wore waist coats and top hats, all women master krav maga and every college graduate can get a Harvard MBA or JD debt free, conservatism can finally work. That and trans people learn to never use the bathroom, gays stay in the closet and disabled people all pay a visit to Benny Hinn.
The difference here is that this woman isn't powerless nor is she victim of anything besides her own irresponsibility

We have 20 or so hired attorney making $36 an hour here on site for this case. There is work for students out of law school it's if you want to do it or you just want to keep up with the jones/friends.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20, but you'd have to think that things would be A LOT different for her if she took that job that paid 60k out of law school.

I think others may have alluded to it in this thread, but a 6 figure salary out of law school isn't always the case for a number of factors.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20, but you'd have to think that things would be A LOT different for her if she took that job that paid 60k out of law school.

I think others may have alluded to it in this thread, but a 6 figure salary out of law school isn't always the case for a number of factors.
6-figure salary out of a no-name law school is tough to find.

A homie just started a job at $30k after graduating from Seton Hall law. He has +$200k debt (from ugrad added).

sick.gif

Last edited:

A homie just started a job at $30k after graduating from Seton Hall law. He has +$200k debt (from ugrad added).

sick.gif

alien.gif
 damn

Was expecting another article about a millennial, but then I read she was 37, lel.

U.S. News & World Report has reported that the average Thomas Jefferson student graduates with $131,800 in debt and 95% of students graduate in debt. On March 22, 2012, U.S. News & World Report included Thomas Jefferson in its list of "10 Law Schools That Lead to the Most Debt." The Wall Street Journal also ran a story in June 2012 listing TJSL as one of the 'bottom five' schools for 2011 graduate employment.

Looks like all the stats are out there, she chose to focus on the one she thought would fit her fantasy.

Yeah brah, but even if, the school shouldn't be allowed to be spreading misinformation like this.

Yes this woman may be entitled, yes maybe she should have educated herself better before making a decision like this, and taking on all this debt.

But that still doesn't excuse a school misleading prospective students.

Even if a student looks at "statistics" to make their decision, there still is the possibility that a school an be and outlier, or outperforming what it says on paper.

Now it is one thing to believe that a school might be an outlier based on incomplete information. It is another thing for a school to market themselves as one, by pedaling knowingly false information.

One customer (and is that she was really a customer) should be lied to no matter how naive or entitled the customer is.

------
If she wasn't lied to though, then baby girl should kick bricks and live with her poor decision

But if the school lied to her, she should get part of her money back. Because she made her decision based on false information.

Oh them and others are wrong for misinformation, and this is a good catalyst to fixing it if it takes off, but I don't feel any empathy for her and her poor critical thinking ability. That $60k salary would've grown exponentially by now, or if she went the public route, she would be about a year away from complete forgiveness (if that's still a thing).

170k in debt with 8% interest....I can only imagine what that monthly payment looks like :x

Every single post of yours has been outright assumption/s[eculation. Did you even read the article. Sheesh

yeah I did read the article

she has debt of $170k for a degree that averages $137k

she was living off refunds like a lot of folks do because working while getting the degree would be too difficult, I hear the pity parties of over borrowers all the time

sick.gif

People need to really look into the ROI before choosing a their career path in UG. I say by your sophomore year you should know what you are potentially getting yourself into. All of that schooling and debt for a $15/hr job, I'd be sick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom