Learning To Drive A Stick Shift Unnapreciation.

Originally Posted by cor23ey

Not that hard... I actually bought my car not knowing (fully) how to drive stick. Plus, I had to drive it 250+ miles home.

Stalled a few times, but learned in less than a day.
Same here. I'd never touched a manual car before, so it was pretty foreign to me. But, I made sure to look it up before I went. Stilldidn't help too much. But for me, it was only 120 miles home.
Driving in stop and go traffic on I-4 had me nervous as hell though

Originally Posted by psykhO

i'm tryna learn how to drive stick soon...

Anyone out there that didn't stall their first time trying it out?
Honestly, I wouldn't believe anyone that says that they didn't stall at all. Stalling only once is believable, but there's no way youcan go without ever stalling. I know I stalled a lot when I started.
Originally Posted by filipin0y

driving stick makes driving more fun. i hate driving with automatic. it gets boring mad fast. stick saves a lot of gas too! and it keeps the rest of your family driving your car if they dont know stick hahaha but other than that stick shift is a lot better then automatic. if your gonna learn, learn on an integra or honda civic or a car with a really soft clutch to get used to it. i learned on my friends 08 civic si and it was like a toy. i now drive an 02 wrx and the hard clutch sometimes annoys me but its whatever
I hate automatics now. I can't drive one because I get distracted.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Royal Airness 29

I regret buying a stick, I sure do miss loungin while I drive....Especially at night.
No you don't man.
laugh.gif
You never know what you have until it's gone.

eyes.gif
people saying that they learned how to drive a manual in like 2hours isa straight up liar, over here manual cars are the standard hardly anyone takes a automatic test (to be frank automatic cars are slow and take up too muchpetrol cos there always in high gears, dont think i'd ever buy an automatic unless its like a 4X4).

Theres no way someone can sit in a manual car first time and 'find the biting point correctly, balance the car (using the accelerator and clutch, so thecar doesnt move without using any of the breaks) and smoothly drive off in 2 hours without stalling at least 5 times...No joke, manual is easy once you'vegot he hang of it, because it becomes like second nature but first time. nahh it wont happen, probably after 6-10 lessons with a driving instructor.

Automatics are boring, manuals are the %@+$
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by nikegirluk

eyes.gif
people saying that they learned how to drive a manual in like 2hours is a straight up liar, over here manual cars are the standard hardly anyone takes a automatic test (to be frank automatic cars are slow and take up too much petrol cos there always in high gears, dont think i'd ever buy an automatic unless its like a 4X4).

Theres no way someone can sit in a manual car first time and 'find the biting point correctly, balance the car (using the accelerator and clutch, so the car doesnt move without using any of the breaks) and smoothly drive off in 2 hours without stalling at least 5 times...No joke, manual is easy once you've got he hang of it, because it becomes like second nature but first time. nahh it wont happen, probably after 6-10 lessons with a driving instructor.

pimp.gif
Hi girl. as soon as you said petrol I knew you were from the UK. German Clarkson is my hero.

Yeah, anyone saying they learned in 2 hours is lying, and didnt stall is lying too.

Btw girls who drive manual saloons and coupays' really intrigue me.
wink.gif

My issue was getting it from neutral to first gear. That may be because my ex's car would turn off compltely if you didn't do it right. Besides, thatit wasn't too difficult. I wouldn't dare drive one in the street yet though
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
need way more practice.

It's awesome once you pick it up. I'm still trying to get the sweet spot perfect but when pops taught me he said that my civic had it too early or thati didnt have to let the clutch go as late on some other stick shifts, something like that. The hills arent that bad actually. Here in Gainesville there'shills everywhere. At worst you roll back for like a couple inches before 1st gear catches on. And I already got a list going of all the females that arewaiting on lessons from me
pimp.gif

eyes.gif
people saying that they learned how to drive a manual in like 2hours is a straight up liar, over here manual cars are the standard hardly anyone takes a automatic test (to be frank automatic cars are slow and take up too much petrol cos there always in high gears, dont think i'd ever buy an automatic unless its like a 4X4).

Theres no way someone can sit in a manual car first time and 'find the biting point correctly, balance the car (using the accelerator and clutch, so the car doesnt move without using any of the breaks) and smoothly drive off in 2 hours without stalling at least 5 times...No joke, manual is easy once you've got he hang of it, because it becomes like second nature but first time. nahh it wont happen, probably after 6-10 lessons with a driving instructor.

pimp.gif
what kind of car do u drive? i loved it when i visited europe last year. everything was manual, except for maybe a handful... and i was lookingevery time we were on our coach.

here in the u.s., it's almost the complete opposite. at least 9 of every 10 cars is automatic
sick.gif

manual transmission ftw. 'tis why once i get this career started im coppin an rsx-s (ill start off used to save money lol). its not hard at all, tho ifyour rusty you forget you're driving stick instead of auto and stall at a red light. happened to me a few times haha.

last time i drove stick was on my 240 back in may before i sold it. since then i've been driving a 98 corolla. a big difference and i miss it but right nowi'm saving for s2000 so it's worth the wait. one of the best gearboxes made i hear.

btw, if you go to dave and buster's there's this ferrari game that's in manual and also has a clutch...pretty good simulation but of coursethere's nothing like actually driving a real manual.

Females who know how to drive a stick are definitely
pimp.gif
. The only thingsexier or about as sexy as that are females who ride bikes.

Driving stick is pretty easy once you've been driving it for a while. One time I was gonna give this girl a lesson and she asked me dead serious like"so you're supposed to shift once you see the RPMs go to redline?" Needless to say I told her to get the hell out. Ain't NOBODY touchin mycar unless they know how to drive. I've taken out an RSX-S once though and that car is pretty easy to drive, a very light clutch. So to the guy who wasgonna get one, you'll have yourself a load of fun in that car.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

eyes.gif

pimp.gif
what kind of car do u drive? i loved it when i visited europe last year. everything was manual, except for maybe a handful... and i was looking every time we were on our coach.

here in the u.s., it's almost the complete opposite. at least 9 of every 10 cars is automatic
sick.gif
id say more than that
tired.gif
. call it weird, but when Im outwalking in the parknlot or jogging... i look in cars to see if it a manny.

America is a lazy country... end of discussion.

alonzo gif

got me there
laugh.gif

id still %%*% with a manual in stop go traffic though... once it clears... im gone.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

right now i'm saving for s2000 so it's worth the wait. one of the best gearboxes made i hear.

btw, if you go to dave and buster's there's this ferrari game that's in manual and also has a clutch...pretty good simulation but of course there's nothing like actually driving a real manual.
s2000
pimp.gif
. one of my favorites. drove a few when i used towork valet and man... such a nice gearbox. same with the nsx
smokin.gif
. makesyou wanna shift all day. the d&b's ferrari game isn't that great of a sim though. there's no feedback with the clutch and you can throw it inand out of gear without touching the clutch. imo, it's a tease
frown.gif

Originally Posted by shaolin

pimp.gif
what kind of car do u drive? i loved it when i visited europe last year. everything was manual, except for maybe a handful... and i was looking every time we were on our coach.

sick.gif
id say more than that
tired.gif
. call it weird, but when Im out walking in the parknlot or jogging... i look in cars to see if it a manny.

i do the same thing since working valet. it's so disappointing to see 911 turbos, m3's, corvettes as automatics. it was fun driving afew random cars that were stick though, like suv's and lifted trucks. i did come across a 5 spd mb slk amg... i think that was the only manual mercedes iever saw.

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

right now i'm saving for s2000 so it's worth the wait. one of the best gearboxes made i hear.

btw, if you go to dave and buster's there's this ferrari game that's in manual and also has a clutch...pretty good simulation but of course there's nothing like actually driving a real manual.
s2000
pimp.gif
. one of my favorites. drove a few when i used to work valet and man... such a nice gearbox. same with the nsx
smokin.gif
. makes you wanna shift all day. the d&b's ferrari game isn't that great of a sim though. there's no feedback with the clutch and you can throw it in and out of gear without touching the clutch. imo, it's a tease
frown.gif

Originally Posted by shaolin

pimp.gif

sick.gif
id say more than that
tired.gif
. call it weird, but when Im out walking in the parknlot or jogging... i look in cars to see if it a manny.

i do the same thing since working valet. it's so disappointing to see 911 turbos, m3's, corvettes as automatics. it was fun driving a few random cars that were stick though, like suv's and lifted trucks. i did come across a 5 spd mb slk amg... i think that was the only manual mercedes i ever saw.
so rare. hows the shifting? I always thought MB should broaden their market shares by offer manny.

12692371045.266602334.IM1.16.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

12958381550.266877256.IM1.16.565x421_A.565x375.jpg

deff. wanna test drive some around my way.

People who drive stick and dont know how to downshift should not be allowed to drive the vehicle.

Thats the only fun part bout stick. Speeding down the high way....6th gear...bout to get on the exit ramp....

Downshift to 5th....VMMMMMMM
Downshift to 4th.. VMMMMMMMMMMM
3rd if you wanna take the exit ramp even quicker...VMMMMMMMMM

In Chicago the on-ramps and exit ramps are all circles btw.

eyes.gif

pimp.gif
I'm a witness to my brother driving off in his Mini Cooper S, out the lot in , without stalling. It was a 40 min ride. He got his manualknowledge just from hearsay. It took me half a day. Some people get it much faster, and some slower. Like someone said in this thread, anyone can learn how todrive manual, but to master it with heal and toe, and double clutching is on another level.

Originally Posted by Royal Airness 29

People who drive stick and dont know how to downshift should not be allowed to drive the vehicle.

Thats the only fun part bout stick. Speeding down the high way....6th gear...bout to get on the exit ramp....

Downshift to 5th....VMMMMMMM
Downshift to 4th.. VMMMMMMMMMMM
3rd if you wanna take the exit ramp even quicker...VMMMMMMMMM

In Chicago the on-ramps and exit ramps are all circles btw.

gave this man a medal
pimp.gif
he speaks the truth.

Blip.. Rmmm. clutch out VMMM

Back
Top Bottom