Learning to Skateboard...Advice? Best Equipment? Brands?

I tried out some decks today and I can say that a 7.5 is uncomfortable. I actually liked the 7.87 the best and the 7.75 second. The 8 was too wide for my comfort. I wear a 10 womens (8.5 mens). I will likely go with the 7.75 because I can't seem to find the 7.87 size anywhere, but zumiez and I wasn't impressed with their pricing.

Venture superlite lows are money. I skate tight so you may or may not want to loosen up, just depends on your style.

Venture superlite lows are money. I skate tight so you may or may not want to loosen up, just depends on your style.

UPDATE: Hey everyone. It's been about 3 weeks that I've been skating and I'm enjoying it.

As for skating...well, I had to grab some new wheels because my stock 54mm were tripping up over everything and they were $10 and wobbly-I need something softer. I copped some Zip Zingers for $38 and that was dumb...I didn't know mm had to do with the height and not width (newbie mistake) so I got wheel bite ALMOST instantly. I am ordering some new BONES ATF for about $20 shipped with the size I have on my board now.

As for riding. It's getting better and I'm still working on basic stuff like just riding and mastering balance. I can do a stationary ollie ok, running starts, kick turns, and had a lil fun practicing a manual the other day. My main concern is balance though because I know personally (at least with my ripstik) that other stuff is like second nature once you get great balance. Thanks again for the help yall and it's been fun.

I'm learnin my style a lil more and I loosened up my trucks a bit, but I might consider just getting some Venture superlite lows altogether. I prefer a low and lightweight board. My board has little pop but I'm ok with that because I want to use it more as a mode of transportation vs. a trick machine and for now I'm not sold on longboards.

UPDATE: Hey everyone. It's been about 3 weeks that I've been skating and I'm enjoying it.

As for skating...well, I had to grab some new wheels because my stock 54mm were tripping up over everything and they were $10 and wobbly-I need something softer. I copped some Zip Zingers for $38 and that was dumb...I didn't know mm had to do with the height and not width (newbie mistake) so I got wheel bite ALMOST instantly. I am ordering some new BONES ATF for about $20 shipped with the size I have on my board now.

As for riding. It's getting better and I'm still working on basic stuff like just riding and mastering balance. I can do a stationary ollie ok, running starts, kick turns, and had a lil fun practicing a manual the other day. My main concern is balance though because I know personally (at least with my ripstik) that other stuff is like second nature once you get great balance. Thanks again for the help yall and it's been fun.

I'm learnin my style a lil more and I loosened up my trucks a bit, but I might consider just getting some Venture superlite lows altogether. I prefer a low and lightweight board. My board has little pop but I'm ok with that because I want to use it more as a mode of transportation vs. a trick machine and for now I'm not sold on longboards.

I just came in from riding again and what a difference a looser truck makes. WOW. I'm learning. Kick turns and manuals were a lot easier.

I just came in from riding again and what a difference a looser truck makes. WOW. I'm learning. Kick turns and manuals were a lot easier.

Eric Koston is that dude.
pimp.gif

For beginners, like many said before, it doesn't really matter the brand. I would recommend you tighten your trucks, and get slower bearings (abec-3). This will allow you to go slower, and have more stability while learning how to manual, ollie, etc. Hope this helps.

For beginners, like many said before, it doesn't really matter the brand. I would recommend you tighten your trucks, and get slower bearings (abec-3). This will allow you to go slower, and have more stability while learning how to manual, ollie, etc. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by kojinman

Thanks.  I have a basic custom deck that I designed and pretty basic parts.  I have some new bones reds bearings that I haven't put in yet.  What do you think of those?  I'm not completely new to things on wheels.  I ripstik pretty well (ollic, curbs, nose manual, etc.) and I have roller skates (quads).  I don't like extreme speed, but super slow bugs me too.  You don't think abec-3 is low???  My other wheeled items have bones reds in them, but my skateboard has some abec-7's in them.

BTW...I don't think I'm going back to as tight as they were, but I'm pretty sure my trucks are considerably tight compared to most.  Loose for me is likely tight for most experienced riders.

Originally Posted by kojinman

Thanks.  I have a basic custom deck that I designed and pretty basic parts.  I have some new bones reds bearings that I haven't put in yet.  What do you think of those?  I'm not completely new to things on wheels.  I ripstik pretty well (ollic, curbs, nose manual, etc.) and I have roller skates (quads).  I don't like extreme speed, but super slow bugs me too.  You don't think abec-3 is low???  My other wheeled items have bones reds in them, but my skateboard has some abec-7's in them.

BTW...I don't think I'm going back to as tight as they were, but I'm pretty sure my trucks are considerably tight compared to most.  Loose for me is likely tight for most experienced riders.

Also do not go to places like Zumiez or Tillys, support your local skate shop. Places like Zumiez etc. could careless about skateboarding or any other sport, they're just capitalizing on what's hot

Also do not go to places like Zumiez or Tillys, support your local skate shop. Places like Zumiez etc. could careless about skateboarding or any other sport, they're just capitalizing on what's hot

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Always the best advise. Local shops won't steer you wrong and you'll get some quality goods.

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Always the best advise. Local shops won't steer you wrong and you'll get some quality goods.

Just kinda stumbled across this thread pretty interesting stuff.

BUMP if anyone wants to keep this thread going. 

Just kinda stumbled across this thread pretty interesting stuff.

BUMP if anyone wants to keep this thread going. 

I got a super cheap enjoi complete off the internet, local skate shops are the best though. Ive been tryin the same trick on the mini pipe for 3 days now smh

I got a super cheap enjoi complete off the internet, local skate shops are the best though. Ive been tryin the same trick on the mini pipe for 3 days now smh

Back
Top Bottom