Lebron James had to apologize for quoting "jewish money" lyrics

'Jewish Money' IG Post
noimage-author_uqnfrj.jpg

BYHANNAH LIFSHUTZ

editor/writer | @h4nn4hh

DEC 24, 2018

• Image via Getty/Hans Gutknecht/Digital First Media/Los Angeles Daily News
    LeBron James apologized Sunday, for sharing an Instagram story in which mentioned "getting that Jewish money."

ADVERTISING
    inRead invented by Teads
    The Los Angeles Lakers star was quoting a lyric from the new 21 Savage song "ASMR," which says "We been getting that Jewish money, everything is Kosher." While James often shares song lyrics with his 45.8 million Instagram followers, some people found this one offensive, including Entourage creator Doug Ellin.

James seemed unaware that the lyrics glossed over the long-standing stereotype about Jews and their relationship to material things. He was asked about the mini-controversy after his team's loss to the Grizzlies, and apologized for his comments.

"Apologies, for sure, if I offended anyone," he told ESPN. "That's not why I chose to share that lyric. I always [post lyrics]. That's what I do. I ride in my car, I listen to great music, and that was the byproduct of it. So I actually thought it was a compliment, and obviously it wasn't through the lens of a lot of people. My apologies. It definitely was not the intent, obviously, to hurt anybody."

Still, some people were surprised that the usually savvy James could make such a glaring mistake. "Does quoting lyrics from a song absolve the person quoting from the responsibility behind the words? I’d argue no, especially with a following of 45 million," ESPN's Darren Rovell wondered on Twitter.
    https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/12/lebron-james-apologizes-jewish-money-instagram-post
never thought even da mighty Lebron would have to apologize for microwaved faux outrage :lol: :smh:

Honestly, coming from where we're from I had no idea at one point that say Jews get money was offensive. It's something I had to learn, it's sort of a dog whistle used by those with ill intent used to discredit Jews. For someone like Bron though or even 21 who didn't mean anything by it, it should be a teaching moment more than the social media pile on.

How is the line offensive though? Because of the stereotype of jews getting money? I guess it's like the Asians being smart stereotype. Even though it's positive people don't like to hear it.

It's funny that no one will hold the actual artist to this standard.

Last edited:
How is the line offensive tought? Because of the stereotype of jews getting money? I guess it's like the Asians being smart stereotype. Even though it's positive people don't like to hear it.

It's funny that no one will hold the actual artist to this standard.

because there was a time in history when this stereotype caused a man to create a holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_Zion

and yes, Hitler actually BELIEVED in the Jewish stereotype/conspiracy.

IT'S A STEREOTYPE! This is where the offense comes from. Not hard to understand why Lebron got flack for this. As self-aware as he is, I'm honestly a little surprised.

Bruh got a tattoo of a knife on his forehead and professionally raps about shootin mf over trap beats.

Why would anyone hold him to a higher standard than Lebron James :lol:

All I'm saying is one person is getting paid to say it yet another person had to apologize for simply quoting it. It's just odd that he receives no critique at all.

Last edited:
Because no one gives a **** what 21 savage says. :lol:

Lebron IS the NBA. A GLOBAL brand. This is why there was flack. Not hard to understand, really.
I get what you're saying, but rappers have a global presence too.
i just feel that there should be SOME accountability on what is said on tracks. .Kinda like when those women protested about that rock Ross Molly line. Or the lil Wayne emmit till line.

I get what you're saying, but rappers have a global presence too.
i just feel that there should be SOME accountability on what is said on tracks. .Kinda like when those women protested about that rock Ross Molly line. Or the lil Wayne emmit till line.

Accountability only matters if you're relevant or if you have sponsorships. Seriously. 21 Savage really has nothing to lose because there aren't the same expectations set out for him as there would be for someone else.

Let me clarify relevancy...there's relevancy on a micro-level, which 21 Savage has...but Lebron's relevancy, I mean...i don't even need to compare the two :lol:

the long-standing stereotype about Jews and their relationship to material things.
I don't see what's "offensive", caucasian jews control the banks, facts.

That's why they were able to pay themselves reparations...

That's why non-jewish caucasians address jewish issues with kid gloves. Remember when the white trash with the tiki torches were chanting "the jews will not replace us"? Remember how the mainstream media on ALL sides QUICKLY denounced it? They know the jewish community has the power to get at them.

You think it's a coincidence that so many of their surnames are currency related? :lol:

Last edited:
All I'm saying is one person is getting paid to say it yet another person had to apologize got simply quoting it. It's just odd that he receives no critique at all.
:lol: I get WHAT you are trying to say but look a
A. The occupations
B. The actual individuals

Rap isn't a intellectually respected artFORM, so those in the field aren't goimg to be held in a high enough standard

because there was a time in history when this stereotype caused a man to create a holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_Zion

and yes, Hitler actually BELIEVED in the Jewish stereotype/conspiracy.

Yeah, on it's own, the quote isn't offensive, but you have to put it into historical and even current context. When you have people shooting up synagogues because of this idea of "Jewish money" or "Jews control the world" it's best not to promote the idea even further

Back
Top Bottom