Votes: 19 1.4%
  • Elite (Grey.Black/Red)

Votes: 20 1.5%
  • BHM

Votes: 77 5.9%
  • Gumbo/All Stars

Votes: 354 27.0%

• Total voters
no he didn't. he put in to switch his number before he left cleveland. he switched it because he wants the number 23 retired jackie robinson style for MJ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4958324
Well there ya go, even so how does that not equate to he didn't wanna carry 23 anymore? No matter the reason even "out of respect" the man is #6 now and really that's not that important forget I even said it lol.. A jersey number and NBA history aren't one in the same.. You guys can cling to the respect angle and that's fine I'll concede

it was a reaction to when MLB retired 42 for jackie robinson... same year and bron wanted to lead the league to do the same for MJ.

it was a reaction to when MLB retired 42 for jackie robinson... same year and bron wanted to lead the league to do the same for MJ.
Yeah and I respect that honestly.. I think it's a good idea but it's also kinda like the change the logo to the jumpman thing that was brought up a few times which is also cool in theory but it's a touchy thing IMO.. If we start down that road (even though it's Mike) I would want 33 gone for Bird and 32 for Magic and then it just snowballs

Yeah and I respect that honestly.. I think it's a good idea but it's also kinda like the change the logo to the jumpman thing that was brought up a few times which is also cool in theory but it's a touchy thing IMO.. If we start down that road (even though it's Mike) I would want 33 gone for Bird and 32 for Magic and then it just snowballs

honestly, to a lot of people Bill Russell was the best of all time especially due to his success then again, Robinson broke the race barrier and thats why his number was retired. Not because he was great. I honestly don't even know who the first afro american basketball player was so I'm not sure it was viewed as as significant as jackie breaking the barrier.

honestly, to a lot of people Bill Russell was the best of all time especially due to his success then again, Robinson broke the race barrier and thats why his number was retired. Not because he was great. I honestly don't even know who the first afro american basketball player was so I'm not sure it was viewed as as significant as jackie breaking the barrier.
Yeah that's a great point Jackies 42 was retired for bigger reasons than dominating a sport, Russell is considered the greatest by many but to me in my era and being a student of the history the 80's and 90s were the "golden era" for the sport IMO.. Bird and Magic are hall of famers but I brought those two up specifically cuz they literally "saved the NBA" from the 70s when it's attendance was down and overall glamour non existent

+1
Earl Lloyd was the first african american bball player and it wasnt significant because basketball wasnt a very popular sport at the time. baseball was like football is now or even greater and thats why 42 was retired. more about cultural significance than playing ability. but 42 was a great baseball player

(there were 2 others that year with Lloyd. but Lloyd was the first to step on the court and play minutes)

Last edited:
+1
Earl Lloyd was the first african american bball player and it wasnt significant because basketball wasnt a very popular sport at the time. baseball was like football is now or even greater and thats why 42 was retired. more about cultural significance than playing ability. but 42 was a great baseball player

thanks. i honesty didn't know that. i didn't mean Jackie wasn't great. I meant it wasn't because he was great that his number was retired around the league.

Last edited:
+1

(there were 2 others that year with Lloyd. but Lloyd was the first to step on the court and play minutes)
Yes very good to know and exactly the NBA didn't become "global" till the true, first and only Dream Team of '92

If we're throwing out facts, Pippen never won the title without Jordan. Wade did it without Bron (course he had Shaq).

And whoever said Lebron had Mike Brown while Jordan had Phil Jackson. Jackson wasn't Jordan's first NBA coach. He had three coaches before Phil.

Saw the Superhero and Dunkman t-shirt at Champs.

Last edited:
If we're throwing out facts, Pippen never won the title without Jordan. Wade did it without Bron (course he had Shaq).

And whoever said Lebron had Mike Brown while Jordan had Phil Jackson. Jackson wasn't Jordan's first NBA coach. He had three coaches before Phil.

There's no denying Phil is one of the best coaches ever many will say best and that's fine cuz all winning coaches have great players, they have to to win with such consistency but let's not pretend Jackson also isn't the luckiest coach of alltime lol

he's the reason we are on a sneakerforum right this minute...his shoes are what started this sneaker culture we are in right now.....
I am willing to bet you're young. 

I hate to break it to you, but for a huge portion of us, it was started by these guys -- not Jordan.  Growing up, everyone wanted the shelltops, and from there it progressed.

There's no denying Phil is one of the best coaches ever many will say best and that's fine cuz all winning coaches have great players, they have to to win with such consistency but let's not pretend Jackson also isn't the luckiest coach of alltime lol

He has to be the luckiest guy in the world to tie Red Aurbach. You'd also have to say how come Collins couldn't win with Pippen and Jordan. Or why the Lakers couldn't win without Phil's leadership? They had Shaq, Kobe, etc before Phil came on board.

I'd say the last 20 years, Jackson, Popavich and Riley were the best coaches.

I was implying Jordan won his titles with Phil Jackson as his coach. While when lebron was in Cleveland in the finals he had mike brown

He has to be the luckiest guy in the world to tie Red Aurbach. You'd also have to say how come Collins couldn't win with Pippen and Jordan. Or why the Lakers couldn't win without Phil's leadership? They had Shaq, Kobe, etc before Phil came on board.

Well Phil's greatest asset was how he could combine all that talent and different egos to go with that marquee talent all into one "together" attitude.. MJ is famous for saying he wouldn't keep playing past 98 without Phil so there's much to be said for that and we all know how Kobe feels about Phil..
I don't think it was as much about the X's and O's with Phil but more of the mentality of his stars and managing those egos

Gotta throw Chuck Daily in there too

Good point about run dmc...everyone started buying kicks for different reasons. ....personally I don't collect I just buy whatever I want to go with my wardrobe.

Traditionally, no, they don't.

The denims would have been 50 times better with a light upper, the darks clash.
the denims would've looked better if the posite was leather and the upper was denim but as far as darks clashing at this point i'd rather have clashing darks than a more pink or light bright colors like the X denims, it's to bad they couldn't do the unreleased X black denim style on the XI's  

I have--- but now it seems like a bunch of back n forth and for what?

People have attempted to get things back on track but to no avail--
suddenly the denims don't seem so bad
laugh.gif
 you know they released in 7.5
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom