let this thread die (NYK)

Can't believe the Lakers just got Dwight Howard. Aren't we suppose to be the other "big market"? In the past 40 years shouldn't we have reaped the benefits some how along the line? This goes all the way back to Kareem, he wanted to go to NYC or LA but the Knicks let Kareem (NYC born-bred) walk over to the Lakers. Lakers go thru spurts of winning championships with new teams and we can't win one. I swear the Kareem thing has been a curse for the Knicks organization.

lol what?

at least our championships came against the lakers lol...

Last edited:
New York Knicks are NBA Champions in '73!

The 1972-73 NBA season ended with the New York Knicks beating the Los Angeles Lakers 4 games to 1 in the 1973 NBA Finals. Game 5, played on May 10, 1973, ended the series with the Knicks defeating the Lakers, 102-93.

The Knicks, who won their first league title ever by defeating the Lakers in seven games in 1970, lost the opening game in this 1973 series and then swept the next four, repeating the pattern Los Angeles had used to beat them in the final series the previous year.

Earl Monroe led the Knicks with 23 points, followed by Bill Bradley with 20 and Walt Frazier with 18. For the Lakers, Gail Goodrich led all scorers with 28 points while Wilt Chamberlain had one of his best scoring nights with 23 and led both teams with 21 rebounds. Willis Reed of the New York Knicks was named Most Valuable Player in this championship series. (The photo above shows members of the Knicks championship team, left to right: Jerry Lucas, Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Phil Jackson and Bill Bradley.)

This would be the last NBA Finals appearance for the Lakers until 1980. This was the first NBA Championship win for the Knicks' players Jerry Lucas and Earl Monroe. The Knicks would not make it back to the NBA Finals until 1994.

Photo below is courtesy of Sports Illustrated. Dean Meminger (left) and Earl Monroe (right) enjoy a game of cards on their charter plane back to New York after beating the Lakers for the championship.

Last edited:
at least our championships came against the lakers lol...
Haha I guess man. Lakers jut happened to make it to sixteen finals and won ten championships since. Kareem did want to be a Knick tho, no doubt we would have won championships with him.

Management is historically bad here. There isht much to argue on that point
Oh of course no argument here, it's just simply depressing for a "big market" team from NYC to be this bad in the past 40 years while the other "big market" team from LA has been phenomenal.

Melo’s tight hamstring forces Knicks to send trainer to Olympics

LONDON — Team USA forward Carmelo Anthony said at yesterday’s Olympic practice he is dealing with a “tight’’ left hamstring, causing Knicks trainer Anthony Goenaga to be summoned back to London to work with him.
Goenaga was with Team USA early in these Games working with Anthony and Tyson Chandler, who has a dislocated finger, but Goenaga had returned home. Bringing him back is the Knicks’ call as they like to have their own people treat their superstars, especially with training camp just seven weeks away. The Knicks wouldn’t even allow Amar’e Stoudemire to play for Team USA in the World Championships in 2010.
Anthony, who had a strained groin last season, was hit in that area during Saturday’s victory over Argentina, but said his groin was “healthy.’’

hey now, in the 90s..there was bald guy in chicago who prevented the knicks get a chip many times.
t

The bald guy had Scottie pippen as his number two

The older i get the more i understand how bad Pat got it. His number two was john starks. I mean come on man.

We all love starks, mase, oak. But the man didnt play with a legit number two

Plus managemnt let riley walk

Theyre historically bad since they decided to not go hard after kareem.

Always complacent, one step behind, or making decisions based on personal reasons

Best shot was bernard king and pat. But we couldn't even have luck on our side

t
The bald guy had Scottie pippen as his number two
The older i get the more i understand how bad Pat got it. His number two was john starks. I mean come on man.
We all love starks, mase, oak. But the man didnt play with a legit number two
Plus managemnt let riley walk
Theyre historically bad since they decided to not go hard after kareem.
Always complacent, one step behind, or making decisions based on personal reasons
Best shot was bernard king and pat. But we couldn't even have luck on our side

Management let Riley walk? >D :rofl: :smh: That rat did it on his own terms unexpectedly

they way i've heard the story is, he asked the knicks for a percentage of the team. They said NO. Then he started negotiating with miami and the classic FAX

Riley's departure was more of a combo of too much pressure in ny following that '94 loss w/ the heat being slick. Plus it's Miami, no pressure there lol...

Last edited:
Pat Riley wanted like 25 percent of the franchise, a contract worth more than $15 milllion (coaches didn't get paid like that back then),  full control over personnel decisions and all of that.
mean.gif
Checketts said no and the rest is history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom