let this thread die (NYK)

http://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone
Al Iannazzone: No Melo or Baron and Dwyane Wade sounds as if he could return for Miami.
Oh this should be fun. If STAT doesn't come out being the leader he can be from last season then I can agree with yall saying this will be a blow out. I'm wondering if Melo made the trip down to MIA though.
http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN
Frank Isola: Jeff Van Gundy on embattled Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni: "Coaching is the least of their problems."
http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN
Frank Isola: Dwyane Wade is a game time decision
http://twitter.com/Al_Iannazzone
Al Iannazzone: 'Antoni wouldn't commit to Bill Walker starting for Anthony.
http://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman
Marc Berman: 'Antoni says Baron has no NBA pop yet and won't play in Houston either.http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN

Originally Posted by REDd SPYDER

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

Depressing thread is depressing.

Better?

tumblr_lxuh1gxUEf1qgcvieo1_500.gif

grin.gif

The Knicks play the Heat Friday night (8 p.m. ET, ESPN), and undoubtedly you'll hear a lot of comparisons heading into the game, given the teams' former rivalry and the Knicks' slightly less successful imitation of Miami's three-superstars strategy.

And that's where things get a bit weird. Because inevitably, we're going to focus on the difference between the Heat's top-ranked offense and the Knicks' 24th-ranked offense, which is a bit odd juxtaposed against the reputations of the two coaches and organizations.

Inevitably, everybody will point out that the Knicks' big problem is their lack of point guard production, and, in particular, their inability to get the ball to the Knicks' high-scoring frontcourt players. To an extent this is correct; Toney Douglas has been disastrously bad and Iman Shumpert erratic, and one could argue that Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire have been starved for service.

But here's the thing: Once you break down the numbers it's hard to find the supporting evidence. For starters, Miami is not exactly awash in John Stockton clones itself, so pointing that out as the defining difference between a great offense and a bad one has some glaring holes to begin with.

Besides, it's not even clear if the Knicks are lacking in the distribution department. New York has assists on 55.4 percent of its baskets this season. The Heat have assists on 55.7 percent of theirs. You can have a great offense even if the wing players are isolation a fair amount.

Break down the other numbers and you get similar results. The Knicks and Heat are virtually identical in offensive rebounds, turnovers and free throws. In fact, New York has a very small advantage in all three.

The only reason the Heat are first and the Knicks are 24th is because Miami's shots go in the basket and New York's don't.

It's an elemental truth -- we think much more highly of a team's offense and its plays when the ball goes through the net at the end of it. Neither Miami nor New York plays a particularly attractive style for the traditionalists -- there's a lot of isos for the stars, there isn't much traditional point guard play, and many of the baskets come by brute force. The Heat are just a lot better at it.

Miami makes 51.1 percent of its 2-point shots (second-best in the NBA) and 38.8 percent of its 3s (fourth). The 'Bockers, on the other hand, are 18th in 2s and 24th from downtown.

Four players -- Carmelo Anthony, Stoudemire, Shumpert and Douglas -- have taken nearly two-thirds of the Knicks' shots. They're shooting 39.4 percent, 42.6 percent, 36.6 percent and 32.8 percent, respectively. The lack of a great distributor isn't helpful, but I'm not sure it's the primary issue. We've seen plenty of good offenses before that had low assist rates -- this year's Thunder, for instance, assist on barely half their baskets. Moreover, the Knicks' assist rate isn't even particularly low. In fact, it's barely different than the team's mark last season, with Raymond Felton and Chauncey Billups splitting the year at point guard.

All of this has important implications because of the impending return of Baron Davis, who has been hailed in some quarters as an impending savior. On the one hand, Davis's passing is going to help; my work on assist quality indicates his dimes are some of the most valuable in basketball.

On the other hand, he's joining a team whose primary problem seems to be an inability to shoot straight. And in that context, his career percentages of 45.7 percent on 2s and 32.1 percent on 3s don't figure to raise the water level any (his 2-point mark is actually below that of his team, and his 3

son gonna keep baron davis out until the end of the year.

built in excuse FTW

it disgusts me how other coaches and media members defend dantoni

the least of our problems? its still a problem.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Originally Posted by Proshares

The Knicks play the Heat Friday night (8 p.m. ET, ESPN), and undoubtedly you'll hear a lot of comparisons heading into the game, given the teams' former rivalry and the Knicks' slightly less successful imitation of Miami's three-superstars strategy.

And that's where things get a bit weird. Because inevitably, we're going to focus on the difference between the Heat's top-ranked offense and the Knicks' 24th-ranked offense, which is a bit odd juxtaposed against the reputations of the two coaches and organizations.

Inevitably, everybody will point out that the Knicks' big problem is their lack of point guard production, and, in particular, their inability to get the ball to the Knicks' high-scoring frontcourt players. To an extent this is correct; Toney Douglas has been disastrously bad and Iman Shumpert erratic, and one could argue that Tyson Chandler and Amare Stoudemire have been starved for service.

But here's the thing: Once you break down the numbers it's hard to find the supporting evidence. For starters, Miami is not exactly awash in John Stockton clones itself, so pointing that out as the defining difference between a great offense and a bad one has some glaring holes to begin with.

Besides, it's not even clear if the Knicks are lacking in the distribution department. New York has assists on 55.4 percent of its baskets this season. The Heat have assists on 55.7 percent of theirs. You can have a great offense even if the wing players are isolation a fair amount.

Break down the other numbers and you get similar results. The Knicks and Heat are virtually identical in offensive rebounds, turnovers and free throws. In fact, New York has a very small advantage in all three.

The only reason the Heat are first and the Knicks are 24th is because Miami's shots go in the basket and New York's don't.

It's an elemental truth -- we think much more highly of a team's offense and its plays when the ball goes through the net at the end of it. Neither Miami nor New York plays a particularly attractive style for the traditionalists -- there's a lot of isos for the stars, there isn't much traditional point guard play, and many of the baskets come by brute force. The Heat are just a lot better at it.

Miami makes 51.1 percent of its 2-point shots (second-best in the NBA) and 38.8 percent of its 3s (fourth). The 'Bockers, on the other hand, are 18th in 2s and 24th from downtown.

Four players -- Carmelo Anthony, Stoudemire, Shumpert and Douglas -- have taken nearly two-thirds of the Knicks' shots. They're shooting 39.4 percent, 42.6 percent, 36.6 percent and 32.8 percent, respectively. The lack of a great distributor isn't helpful, but I'm not sure it's the primary issue. We've seen plenty of good offenses before that had low assist rates -- this year's Thunder, for instance, assist on barely half their baskets. Moreover, the Knicks' assist rate isn't even particularly low. In fact, it's barely different than the team's mark last season, with Raymond Felton and Chauncey Billups splitting the year at point guard.

All of this has important implications because of the impending return of Baron Davis, who has been hailed in some quarters as an impending savior. On the one hand, Davis's passing is going to help; my work on assist quality indicates his dimes are some of the most valuable in basketball.

On the other hand, he's joining a team whose primary problem seems to be an inability to shoot straight. And in that context, his career percentages of 45.7 percent on 2s and 32.1 percent on 3s don't figure to raise the water level any (his 2-point mark is actually below that of his team, and his 3

Originally Posted by gllahone84

Superstar players play hurt
Yeah Melo was doing that and now he stopped doing that this season, just like Wade, Dirk, Lebron, Rose, etc.

Originally Posted by Crime Wave

40+ point loss tonight.

I seriously don't expect a blow-out from the Heat. Whenever its Heat vs. Knicks weird things happen. Should be a good game though.

Maybe JR is doing a one man show on Broadway.

It would just be him doing his celebrations after big plays and 3 pointers.

I see we taking a page from our book from last season. The minute Fields sat dudes just went 3 crazy. Bibby was egging them on
laugh.gif
Fields is the only slasher and dude who cuts on give n goes on our team.

Novak got hyped with that early pt and went like 1/5 from 3
laugh.gif
Making everybody clamoring for him look a bit silly. Walker keeps making 3s Novak'll go back to riding pine.

Props to these guys showing some fight though. Even after allowing so many dunks and STAT not scoring.

However,
30t6p3b.gif
@ how these guys miss STAT when he was open. No court vision on our squad, so now he's basically out the flow of the game.

I'd make Shump take 1000 layup drills after this game. I'm tired of seeing him miss dunks.
Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by GaBeGRaMz

JR Smith @TheRealJRSmith

I wonder what it's like to play on broadway? #hmmmmm!
what the hell 
indifferent.gif

I'll allow it.

Down to finally sign Arenas too. W/e (extra) works.
Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Mez.. U make beats ?
I thought everybody knew.

Mez1 presents Stillmatic/God's Son
pimp.gif

live by the 3 die by the 3. .im not getting hyped yet lol. glad that billy skywalker is getting more minutes though. the dude can hit the 3 and get to the rack

Back
Top Bottom