let this thread die (NYK)

Originally Posted by tommykairaa

spurs play team ball
Stop it. When the Spurs were winning titles Duncan was in his Prime and Tony Parker was ballin also. Not even close to a good argument for a team making the playoffs without a star
How'd that team ball work for em last year bud?

n2ejns.jpg

you can argue the pistons didnt have a "star" at the time. And as far as teaching defense... you can teach technique and principles, but you can teach instinct and determination.

Originally Posted by Freeze

pistons, '04
They are prolly the closest you are going to get. But they also had the defensive player of the year that year and a guy whose nickname is Mr. Big Shot. And Prince was locking down everyone and their mothers in the playoffs that year. 
So yes they played team ball, but their success was based on the fact that they shut the other team down on a night in and night out basis. 

Rasheed Wallace wasn't a star? He may not have been a marketable player because of his personality, but this dude had his own Air Forces made for him by Nike every year
laugh.gif
Richard Hamilton was averaging close to 20 PPG at the time also, and was one of the toughest guys to guard since he had the stamina of a gazelle and never stopped running until he got open.

Rasheed wasn't in his prime with the Pistons but he was pretty damn good. He definitely adjusted to the team and played more unselfishly, but it did take him time just like it'll take Melo time.

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Rasheed Wallace wasn't a star? He may not have been a marketable player because of his personality, but this dude had his own Air Forces made for him by Nike every year
laugh.gif
Richard Hamilton was averaging close to 20 PPG at the time also, and was one of the toughest guys to guard since he had the stamina of a gazelle and never stopped running until he got open.

Rasheed wasn't in his prime with the Pistons but he was pretty damn good. He definitely adjusted to the team and played more unselfishly, but it did take him time just like it'll take Melo time.
Is Rasheed someone you'd build a team around? no. He is someone you add.

Rip had been cast off from Washington.

Billups had bounced around the league.

Ben Wallace was undrafted. Yea he won back to back Defensive POY, but Mutumbo had 4 in a 7 year span and he never won.

Prince is 75 lbs (thats all i got)

Again, you can argue for and against the Pistons in 2004.

Even if we do give the nod to the Pistons as an organization that won without a legitimate star, what is that? One in 20 years?

Lakers-Kobe/Pau/Bynum.

Mavs-Dirk

Celts-KG/Ray/Pierce

Spurs- Duncan/Parker/Manu

Heat- Shaq/ Wade

Early 00's Lakers- Shaq/Kobe

Bulls- Jordan/Pippen

Rockets- Hakeem, one of the greatest centers of all time

So we can keep believing that trading Melo away for more "unselfish" players and making this team deeper is the answer to our problems, but it isn't. The team may finish with a great regular season record, but it's not gonna get much done in the playoffs with Jeremy Lin and a bunch of role players

Originally Posted by Nappy

Why can't Tyson teach Amare how to be a better defender as well as Melo

A lot of it is about effort. Defense is all about about how much effort and hustle you put into it. You really don't need much skill to be a good defender. 

my bro got tickets to the Bulls vs Knicks game in April. Don't know if i want to pull the trigger on the Lin Authentic or Swingman jersey....

I agree with you Los, they were missing shots they could have hit. But I don't understand why Melo is catching the majority of the blame. Even when he sat, the team didn't accomplish much offensively. Novak still missed his open looks, JR's jumper looked way off, and the rest of the team wasn't moving on offense. When Baron came into the game, the team looked stagnant because they didn't know what to expect.

I'm not big on stats but the team was -10 with Melo on the court, which is bad. But they were also -22 with Jared on the court and -16 with JR Smith playing, and -12 with Baron on the court even though he was only out there for a few minutes

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I agree with you Los, they were missing shots they could have hit. But I don't understand why Melo is catching the majority of the blame. Even when he sat, the team didn't accomplish much offensively. Novak still missed his open looks, JR's jumper looked way off, and the rest of the team wasn't moving on offense. When Baron came into the game, the team looked stagnant because they didn't know what to expect.

I'm not big on stats but the team was -10 with Melo on the court, which is bad. But they were also -22 with Jared on the court and -16 with JR Smith playing, and -12 with Baron on the court even though he was only out there for a few minutes
I think Melo's per was -18, but its irrelevant. We played a really bad game. Nets when bonkers from downtown. Blaming Melo is the thing to do I guess. We don't have the luxury of being able to lose games against NO and NJ. Had we had the team we have now, sans Swish, our record would be a lot better and those two loses wouldn't mean much. It's still early. We are only 4.5 out of 1st in the Atlantic.

We can't have Fields out there trying too much. If he over thinks, theres a problem. He needs to catch the ball and know immediately if he's going to drive, shoot, or pass. When he starts to pound the ball we have a problem. I don't care if Stat misses his jumpshots. I just don't want him taking more than two dribbles.

We could've used Shump last night. And I hate the fact that D-Will sticks his legs out on every jumpshot.

Novak was 2-8 last night from deep.

I think once J.R. gets into a rhythm he should start. It'd be nice to have someone space the floor when Melo and Amare are out there, you would have to pay attention to him. The only issue that brings is that we then lose our offensive threat off the bench.

Already knew Melo would be catching all the flack though 
eyes.gif

If anything happens with Melo on this team, I can't wait to see the responses and thoughts when this team hits the post season without a Melo on the team.

I guess dudes already forgot last years series against Boston where Melo was putting the team on his back and was damn near the only thing keeping those games remotely close
laugh.gif
. But if you think Lin will be able to do that post season then I guess you shouldnt be worried.

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

eyes.gif

If anything happens with Melo on this team, I can't wait to see the responses and thoughts when this team hits the post season without a Melo on the team.

I guess dudes already forgot last years series against Boston where Melo was putting the team on his back and was damn near the only thing keeping those games remotely close
laugh.gif
. But if you think Lin will be able to do that post season then I guess you shouldnt be worried.
how many games did we win in the post season last year?

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
how many games did we win in the post season last year?

Can't say Melo was the reason tho. We didn't have Lin last year, so there wouldn't be a "surprise star" if Melo, Billups, and Amar'e all sat. Who was gonna step up? Anthony Carter? Toney Douglas? Bill Walker? Without Melo, they get swept in 4 blowouts.

who cares if they are blowouts or not we still got swept!!!!  lol has anything changed with melo here? not a damn thing has changed if anything we are regressing with him. some of you are beyond blind when it comes to this dude ... its disgusting

Back
Top Bottom