Let's face it, Jay-Z is the bar in which we compare rappers to because he is the best. PERIOD

QUESTION TO THE FOLKS WHO DONT FEEL JAY IS THE BEST

Why do yall let outlandish S!!! like this go unchecked? Just cause it supports your stance, doesnt mean it should go unchecked...

Seems I got ur panties in a bunch. Whats wrong bro? Regardless of "stance" nobody's "checkin" me anyway!

VA757VA thanks for the reply. Just interested to see if anyone would say something like "Jay doesn't make bad songs!" :lol: I also understand how you feel with Jay making Ye and Blaze. However, Jay did't pick their beats to do them a favor, Jay needed them just as much as they needed him. "Making" them, no. Exposing their talent to the world would be more like it don't you think?

Deuce King I agree with your logic as far as making a good song alone. But what I ment by that is taking a mediocre/OK beat and making it a good song solely based on content or rhythm. I think a good example of somebody making a song good would be Kanye - Go Hard. Beat was OK (not bad) but Ye made that song hot for the most part. And that is Ye's song. I said it had to be a Jay song, not a song featuring Jay. Sorry for the confusion.

And about his style, listen to RD and then BP 3.. His style has deff changed.

Antidope I told you I was done debating with you dude. Most of the songs you named had good beats, so much for your shuffle idea. And I said style, not lyrical content :lol: you are a wild dude. Beats don't help artist? Most songs begin with the beat! A beat sets the tone to the song.

did he really? he really dominated a generation? ninja please
Jay Z hasn't even dominated a generation.......... no-one has.

Jay Z been hot from 97 to present day, that's a decade and a half, but he's been in the game since the early 90's.

LL Cool J was hot from 85 to mid 2000 IMO. 

LL cool J beats jay-z doing that too., now what?
did he really? he really dominated a generation? ninja please
LL cool J was da 1st rapper on Def Jam.

jay-z never DOMINATED any part of his career because his colleagues always did, if anything thats always been jay-z's weakness.

he never had a illmatic, a only built for cuban linx, a get rich or die tryin, a marshall mathers LP..you know, a album that completely

shifts da landscape of contemporary rap music as we know it.

LL cool J got radio. he's got mama said knock you out..he's DOMINATED da 80's, and he was a force up until mr. smith which dropped 1995.

now tell me, how has he been da best when he's never really dominated a single year?
dmx, mase, and mobb deep fell off soon after that... dominating a year doesnt make u great... dominating an entire generation spanning multiple era does
LL cool J beats jay-z doing that too., now what?
roll.gif
Riiiight.

In regards to that other post, just like Musical excellence said, almost all of those people fell off soon after, a boom then a fade right back into obscurity. JAY-Z has been around for 17 years and consistently at the top of the game.
Antidope I told you I was done debating with you dude. Most of the songs you named had good beats, so much for your shuffle idea. And I said style, not lyrical content
laugh.gif
you are a wild dude. Beats don't help artist? Most songs begin with the beat! A beat sets the tone to the song.
So you pose a question, say you werent going to respond to the answers, respond to the answers, then say that you arent going to debate with me. Crazy how I'm somehow unworthy of a response from you, dont know why. But since you ended up responding to us all anyway......

So I picked songs I liked, but all of them are ruled invalid because they had hot beats? The criteria is never changing with you isnt it. You finally said that what you meant was taking a mediocre beat and turning it into a good song, if you said that from the beginning then you have gotten what you wanted so this point of yours is moot. You posed a question without giving all of your criteria for goodness sakes...

Lyrical content isnt a proponent of style? You didnt even clarify what you meant, you just said style which can mean a myriad of things and left us to assume, dont sit there and act like I just made things up.

Good beats helps artists to a degree yes, but what I said was and I quote " I dont agree with the the notion that producers are helping out rappers to that much a degree. At the end of the day lyrics take precedent over the beats, and a rapper could have the hottest beats of all time, if you're not spitting good bars, no one will listen, beats can only go so far."

LL cool J was da undisputed king of rap during his prime, rakim could've had da crown after him and eric b split but he went into a hiatus.

jay-z was big daddy kane's tony yayo when LL cool J was on this throne, so i dont see where all this gasping is coming from.

Ninjahood is right about LL

Ya'll don't remember "In The House" all those movies he was in?

LL COOL J was THAT rap dude for a long time during the 90's-early 2000's.

He was in the mainstream all crazy but still dropping posse cuts with Meth and Red, Canibus, and fully fledged in a rap beef.

The dude really smacked Jaime Foxx and they just happened to be filming and that became the fight scene in Any Given Sunday.

For God's sake, the man's hat is like a shark's fin!

Things change and the king is dead and long live the king and all that, but LL was the host of the Grammy's for a reason.

But yea, Jay Z is definitely the king right now.

Got extra reckless in here :smh: Dudes wanna throw dirt on LL's name now.

Madness.

Also I see ppl don't even know what a "generation" means yet throwing it out there flippantly. A 10 year span of you and your boys jock riding one rapper is not a generation.

17 years is a generation in rap music. Let's be real and nobody is talkin about tv shows and movies. We're talking music. Nobody was listening to LL after 10 years. Dude was making corny radio **** like phenomenon. LL's catalog can't **** wit jay's

17 years is a generation in rap music. Let's be real and nobody is talkin about tv shows and movies. We're talking music. Nobody was listening to LL after 10 years. Dude was making corny radio **** like phenomenon. LL's catalog can't **** wit jay's

jay-z stans are da WORST b.

LL cool J is will smith with a WAAAAY better rap catalog but a weaker (but not much) acting career.

LOL

Mr. Smith ALONE is better then a GOOD chunk of jay-z's albums

1262962596_allcdcovers_ll_cool_j_mr_smith_1998_retail_cd-back_original.jpg

look at that tracklisting b...thats MR DEF JAM...these jay-z stans b are da WORST

Last edited:

LL cool J is will smith with a WAAAAY better rap catalog but a weaker (but not much) acting career.
Their acting careers are not close. LL has no timeless work on TV or on the big screen whereas Will has Fresh Prince which will probably be in syndication till we're all dead . If we were to Google best/influential/whatever black actors you won't see LL on that list but you'll probably see Will, if the list was confined to just rappers turned actors you might not see his name depending on how long the list is.

Last edited:

Their acting careers are not close. LL has no timeless work on TV or on the big screen whereas Will has Fresh Prince which will probably be in syndication till we're all dead.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005112/?ref_=tt_ov_st

dont sleep on james todd smith.

LL cool J caked up from acting too, and unlike will smith, he can still go back to rap, will smith's rap card expired.

Both of those things are true, doesn't mean their acting careers are close. LL doesn't have clout like Will does when it comes to acting, he couldn't demand 20 million a movie, he has no truly great or timeless work, and has no Oscar, academy award, or golden globe nominations from what I just saw from a quick Google search. They are not comparable actors.

:rofl: Riiiight.

In regards to that other post, just like Musical excellence said, almost all of those people fell off soon after, a boom then a fade right back into obscurity. JAY-Z has been around for 17 years and consistently at the top of the game.
So you pose a question, say you werent going to respond to the answers, respond to the answers, then say that you arent going to debate with me. Crazy how I'm somehow unworthy of a response from you, dont know why. But since you ended up responding to us all anyway......

So I picked songs I liked, but all of them are ruled invalid because they had hot beats? The criteria is never changing with you isnt it. You finally said that what you meant was taking a mediocre beat and turning it into a good song, if you said that from the beginning then you have gotten what you wanted so this point of yours is moot. You posed a question without giving all of your criteria for goodness sakes...

Lyrical content isnt a proponent of style? You didnt even clarify what you meant, you just said style which can mean a myriad of things and left us to assume, dont sit there and act like I just made things up.

Good beats helps artists to a degree yes, but what I said was and I quote " I dont agree with the the notion that producers are helping out rappers to that much a degree. At the end of the day lyrics take precedent over the beats, and a rapper could have the hottest beats of all time, if you're not spitting good bars, no one will listen, beats can only go so far."

C'mon dude.. Seriously doe? I didn't respond to anybody's reply. I more or less just followed up. The feedback from my questions was appreciated, so I showed it. I didn't bash anybody's answers except yours because it was stupid. Read the difference between their post and yours.. I am done debating with you about Jay because your sense of MUSIC is trash. Hop off dude, let Beyonce ride it too..

There have been a few statements made since my last response but there is something that I need to address before we move forward.  One of our favorite individuals has yet again managed to embarrass himself and his community with another shameful and asinine statement.  That individual is of course ninjahood with this response below................

"LL cool J is will smith with a WAAAAY better rap catalog but a weaker (but not much) acting  [color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]career."[/color]

With Will Smith starring in movies such as Independence Day, Men in Black I, Men in Black II, Men in Black II, Bad Boys, Bad Boys II, Pursuit of Happyness, Ali, and of course The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, just to name a few.  Ninjahood how dare you even try to compare acting careers between Will and LL, or even worse yet say that LL's acting career is weaker but not by much.  Will Smith is an A-list actor while LL Cool J is a D-list actor, and to be more and directly blunt and honest about it, an L-list actor.  LL is the type of actor you would see in "I'm going to get you sucker Part 2", along with your boy 50 Cent, another straight to DVD type of actor favorite of yours.  

Ninjahood this is why some of your statements or arguments against Jay Z can't be taken seriously because you reach for a statement to try and fit your personal agenda when it couldn't be further from the truth.  Make no mistake muchacho, your trail of lies and deceit ends right here right now, the jig is up champ.  I'm going to advise/demand you retract that statement from the records immediately if not sooner and attempt to redeem yourself from such a piss poor showing.  

I don't understand how Will Smith is in this conversation.

Dude quit rapping and became an actor YEARS ago.

Son quite making music BEFORE making a comeback with "Gettin' Jiggy With It"

Will Smith was in and out quickly as the Fresh Prince, then became an actor, then became actor-turned-rapper Will Smith.

We do not call that man Todd Smith. To this day, he is probably in his 50's and people are calling him LL COOL J and his old music is playing somewhere on some rap/r&b radio station all the time.

C'mon dude.. Seriously doe? I didn't respond to anybody's reply. I more or less just followed up. The feedback from my questions was appreciated, so I showed it. I didn't bash anybody's answers except yours because it was stupid. Read the difference between their post and yours.. I am done debating with you about Jay because your sense of MUSIC is trash. Hop off dude, let Beyonce ride it too..
I honestly didn't see any real differences between their posts and mine philosophy wise, all 3 of us gave direct response to your questions. I would like some other people to weigh in on that part cause if I went about it in the wrong way that wasn't my intention.

The conversation has pretty much run its course between you and I though, I appreciate the comments though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom