Lets get a tips, tricks & steps 2 help Produce STICKY PL

attack = how fast the compressor reacts
release = how slow it "dissolves" off the signal...

ratio = has to do with decibels or something

threshold = certain point where compressor kicks in

and the other setting (I can't think of) is like the amount of compression...

Originally Posted by buggz05

ok so in elementary when is it the best time to use a compressor or say what kind of sounds should you use a certain effect with?

Originally Posted by ps2child

ok so in elementary when is it the best time to use a compressor or say what kind of sounds should you use a certain effect with?
Compressor basically fattens a sound up. It brings all the frequencies out and compresses them all together. It can bring the subtlecharacteristics of an instrument out by keeping the higher levels and lower levels of a given sound more even compared to eachother....

You kind of need a little bit of compression on everything. And you definitely want a good compression/limiter on your master mix.

As far as rules...use your ear and tweek knobs. Generally speaking though if a sound has a fast attack to it...you give it a fast attack. (Make sense? Noticewhen your talking how fast your mouth moves when beginning a word...that is a fast attack; A smooth airy bluesy trumpet that starts off real low and slowlyworks its way up would have a slow attack) Example of a fast release would be a fast hi hat, slow release would be vocals because the ends ofwords/sentences/lyrics are more drawn out than the beginnings (or attack). I hope that doesn't confuse you...

BUT use your ears for what sounds best. There are really no rules.

Compressor basically fattens a sound up. It brings all the frequencies out and compresses them all together. It can bring the subtle characteristics of an instrument out by keeping the higher levels and lower levels of a given sound more even compared to eachother....

You kind of need a little bit of compression on everything. And you definitely want a good compression/limiter on your master mix.

As far as rules...use your ear and tweek knobs. Generally speaking though if a sound has a fast attack to it...you give it a fast attack. (Make sense? Notice when your talking how fast your mouth moves when beginning a word...that is a fast attack; A smooth airy bluesy trumpet that starts off real low and slowly works its way up would have a slow attack) Example of a fast release would be a fast hi hat, slow release would be vocals because the ends of words/sentences/lyrics are more drawn out than the beginnings (or attack). I hope that doesn't confuse you...

ye i can work with that. wanted to see what you had to say about it. pretty much i hear the same thing that you cant really put a technique oncompressors. you make it sound the way you want according to the groove your lookin for. sometimes i get bored and i play around with sounds and compressorsettings to see what they do. i guess i got a basic understanding.

I want to know if my way of recording and making a beat in reason is good. Currently what i do is make a simple 1 bar drum patter and loop it for 4 bars. theni start messing around with either strings or piano and stuff like that. And i record for 1 bar and copy and paste it for 4 bars also. i have a tendency tomake a beat as if i was writing an essay start with the intro then the verse then maybe a small bridge then the chorus and so on. Ive stared lots of beats butim never able to finish them because i feel that my way of doing them and recording isnt good. Basically what i wanted to know was how some of you guys goabout recording and constructing your beats.

Compressor basically fattens a sound up. It brings all the frequencies out and compresses them all together. It can bring the subtle characteristics of an instrument out by keeping the higher levels and lower levels of a given sound more even compared to eachother....

As far as rules...use your ear and tweek knobs. Generally speaking though if a sound has a fast attack to it...you give it a fast attack. (Make sense? Notice when your talking how fast your mouth moves when beginning a word...that is a fast attack; A smooth airy bluesy trumpet that starts off real low and slowly works its way up would have a slow attack) Example of a fast release would be a fast hi hat, slow release would be vocals because the ends of words/sentences/lyrics are more drawn out than the beginnings (or attack). I hope that doesn't confuse you...

Dog u dont know how much this and your previous post helped me u broke down the whole compressor phase so I could get it. My tracks sound better already

Does anyone know the eq setting for a telephone conversation effect. Its used a lot, one notable song is Phone Tap by the Firm

Originally Posted by JY5000

Does anyone know the eq setting for a telephone conversation effect. Its used a lot, one notable song is Phone Tap by the Firm

It should be a preset on your eq if you use FL Studio go to Parametric EQ nd click presets its the old telephone preset

If not I found this:

Start by taking out everything below 400Hz, and then reducing everything above 2Khz. Then, if you have the option, make a narrow bandwidth notch of about6db at 500Hz.

If you've got a good compressor, add it as well. You want to start compressing early, at around -20db, with a ratio of at least 4:1. You can change this toyour liking, though. If you've got it, adding some light distortion from whatever plug-in you have and like best will give you some extra effect. And thereyou have it!

For the phone sound, I like to do a band pass of 500-1K and then SUPER Compress the %%%$ out of it to give it a little bit of distortion.

And yea cartune, compression is like the "secret" of commercial music. There are people against using compression because it can take the life out ofa mix so use it wisely.

Yo buggz you're right about using compression wisely. Too much compression can kill the groove of the song.

btw the ratio refers to the DB's that are allowed to pass past the threshold. i.e., 6:1 ratio means for every 6 db over the threshold, 1 db gets through.

Originally Posted by digitalO22

Yo buggz you're right about using compression wisely. Too much compression can kill the groove of the song.

btw the ratio refers to the DB's that are allowed to pass past the threshold. i.e., 6:1 ratio means for every 6 db over the threshold, 1 db gets through.
Word but I could never figure this out though or picture it in my head. 1db gets through what? You mean every 6db over it is compressed 1db under(or am I thinking limiter?)? Or is it a wet/dry ratio? Or is the 1db the frequency leveling of the signal?????

I've always been at a loss with that setting so I just listened to what my ears had to say about it.

I would also like to clear this up about the ratio.......2:1 > 100:1....compression wise right?

The white dot in the pic represents the signal flow and the orange vertical line represents the threshold. Once the signal flow shoots past the threshold, thewhite dot turns red, and the compressor is activated.

So basically, the louder parts of the signal will flow past the threshold and thats what we want to compress. Thats where the ratio comes in. If you have a 1:1ratio the compressor wont do anything to turn down the volume because for every DB that the signal flow shoots past the threshold, 1 Db is allowed back in.feel me?

So as you adjust the ratio higher, you will notice that the loudest parts of the signal which pass the threshold are turned down to match the lower levels inthe signal which do not pass the threshold.

e34ia.jpg

Ok so basically if there is like a 6db head room between the peak of the signal and {quote} RMS {unquote} of the signal, and you set the threshold 6db belowthe peak, everything above that RMS threshold will be compressed down by the number of db's laid out by the ratio?

"RMS" as in average signal db I guess is what I mean.

Thanx for clearing that up.

Right, in that particular case this is how those 6db's would break down in terms of ratios:

2:1 ratio = 3db in, 3db compressed
3:1 ratio = 2db in, 4db compressed
6:1 ratio = 1 db in, 5db compressed

A friend of mine wants me to start making beats for him and his friends, Im still learning in the process of learning how produce in general. I stillhaven't finished my first beat but I do have many things I started and never got around to finish them. They want south sounding beats, and although Idon't really listen to southern hip-hop and I would like to be able to produce southern style beats, are there any particular producers or artist besidesjeezy and t.i. I should listen to to develop a sense of how to produce southern style beats. Thanks

HELP NEEDED!!!!!! can anyone on here please help me convert .wav drum sounds to .snd so that I can put them on my zip disks and use them on my Akai MPC 3000?ANYONE??????

I need help. I finally figured out by using awave studios to convert from .wav to .snd. Now that that's done I formatted a brand new 250mb zip disk in thempc 3000. Partitioned it the whole 9. I then took the disk out of the scsi zip drive I formatted it on and put it into the USB 250 zip drive I just bought.Hooked it up to my pc thinking I could just drag the converted sounds on to the zip, but when I attempted that it tells me I have to format the disk in orderfor it to work. Now I'm confused because If i reformat it on the PC then it's not going to work when I stick the disk back in the scsi zip attached tothe 3000. So I tried to format anyways just to see what would happen and windows couldn't even format it anyways. What am I doing wrong. Please any helpgreatly appreciated!!!

I'm in need of help, seeing as though I'm broke and can't pay for beats and I work at the sound lab I'm trying my hand at making them. We areworking off a fantom X6 and am trying to sample. But when I sample the song it never chops correctly. N E one that uses this know the setting in order to makeit chop to fit the beat?

When recording vocals, like just a rapper or singer, How do i go about doing it? Like should I use a bathroom or closet? And how should I position the artist?and should I get some sound control products? if so, what do you recommend?

Originally Posted by CertifiedFlyBoi23

When recording vocals, like just a rapper or singer, How do i go about doing it? Like should I use a bathroom or closet? And how should I position the artist? and should I get some sound control products? if so, what do you recommend?
Honestly rap vocals are never the prettiest anyway. Just watch out for 60 hz hum (comes with house hold electricity)...if you can afford a powerconditioner cop one.

If your gonna use a closet...throw a mattress and a heavy blanket in there to deaden the sound. Sound reflects off of flat walls and can cause phasing in yourrecordings...but again rap vocals are usually ghetto and gritty.

Recording in a bathroom will give you an echo/reverb type thing which you may or may not like. Just expirement (BEFORE HAND, so you don't look like youdon't know what your doing - scares off customers).

If your interested in sound reinforcement...look up diffusers, diffractors, absorbers, bass traps etc. I can't tell you that you will need them because Idon't know your room. If you want the cleanest sound possible you will need them...but again rap vocals are usually not high quality. Use your ear todecide if you need something. If you want to go cheap use the mattress/sofa/heavy blanket thing I suggested and put the mic in between the source (rapper) andthe absorber (mattress etc.).

Singing will need more attention than rapper vocals. Clap your hands and listen for the echo. If it's bad you'll need something. Do as needed, clapagain...repeat.

Tip: Microphones have polar patterns. Educate yourself on your mic's polar pattern and that will help hide reflection. Also notice that microphones have"null" points that can help hide unwanted sound. These null points are usually a material around or to the side of the diaghram (part of themicrophone casing)...you can use that material to mask off some unwanted sounds by pointing the material in the direction of the unwanted source.

Back
Top Bottom