Let's make everything about RACE (Unapologetically Black Thread)

Yosef Alfredo Antonio Ben-Jochannan was born on this date in 1918. He is an African American writer and historian.
Ben-Jochannan was the only child of an Afro Puerto Rican Jewish mother named Julia Matta and an Ethiopian father named Kriston Ben-Jochannan, in a Falasha community in Ethiopia. Known as Dr. Ben, he was educated in Puerto Rico, Brazil, Cuba, and Spain, earning degrees in engineering and anthropology. In 1938, Ben-Jochannan earned a BS in Civil Engineering at the University of Puerto Rico and a Master's degree in Architectural Engineering from the University of Havana, Cuba in 1939. He received doctoral degrees in Cultural Anthropology and Moorish History from the University of Havana and the University of Barcelona, Spain. Ben-Jochannan immigrated to the United States in the early 1940s. He worked as a draftsman and continued his studies.
He claims that in 1945, he was appointed chairman of the African Studies Committee at the headquarters of the newly founded UNESCO, a position from which he stepped down in 1970. During that time he taught Egyptology at Malcolm King College, then at City College in New York City. From 1976 to 1987, he was an adjunct professor at Cornell University. Ben-Jochannan is the author of 49 books, primarily on ancient Nile Valley civilizations and their impact on Western cultures. In his writings, he argues that the original Jews were from Ethiopia and were Black Africans, while the white Jews later adopted the Jewish faith and its customs, statement that have been widely criticized.
In 1993, Wellesley College European classics professor Mary Lefkowitz confronted Ben-Jochannan about his teachings. Ben-Jochannan taught that Aristotle visited the Library of Alexandria. During the question and answer session following the lecture, Lefkowitz asked Ben-Jochannan, "How would that have been possible, when the library was not built until after his death?" Ben-Jochannan replied that the dates were uncertain. Lefkowitz wrote that Ben-Jochannan proceeded to tell those present that "they could and should believe what black instructors told them" and "that although they might think that Jews were all 'hook-nosed and sallow faced,' there were other Jews who looked like himself. He also appeared on Gil Noble's WABC-TV weekly public affairs series Like It Is.
In 2002, Ben-Jochannan donated his personal library of more than 35,000 volumes, manuscripts and ancient scrolls to the Nation of Islam.
Dr. Ben was married three times and had a total of 13 children. He died on March 19, 2015 at the age of 96 at the Bay Park Nursing Home in the Bronx.

1609449533519.png

Nawgtyhare comes off super direct on here but he and I met up numerous times when I was in b school - he’s a good dude

As 2020 comes to an end I want to thank KHUFU KHUFU and DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican for making everything about race. This thread is needed in these times. I will make a thread in 2021 all about Liberal Conjecture and Innuendo which we need to stamp out right now.
As long as you are on the team, all will be splendid my man! Keep up the good works!

On this date in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation; ordering that all slaves in rebel territory be freed.

This document marked a radical exodus in then American policy, reflecting the public sentiment in the north. About 4 million Black African people gained freedom by the terms of the Proclamation, which is regarded as one of the most important documents of the United States. After the Civil War started, the slavery issue was heightened by the escape to Union lines of large numbers of slaves who volunteered to fight for their freedom and that of their fellow slaves.

In these circumstances, a strict application of established policy would have required return of fugitive slaves to their Confederate masters and would have alienated the staunchest supporters of the Union cause in the North and abroad. Abolitionists had long been urging Lincoln to free all slaves, and public opinion seemed to support this view. He moved slowly and cautiously nonetheless; on March 13, 1862, the federal government forbade all Union army officers to return fugitive slaves, thus annulling in effect the fugitive slave laws. On April 10, on Lincoln's initiative, Congress declared the federal government would compensate slave owners who freed their slaves.

All slaves in the District of Columbia were freed in this way on April 16, 1862. On June 19, 1862, Congress endorsed a measure prohibiting slavery in United States territories, thus defying the Supreme Court decision in the Dred Scott case, which ruled that Congress was powerless to regulate slavery in the territories. Finally, after the Union victory in the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862, Lincoln issued a preliminary proclamation on September 22, declaring his intention of circulating another proclamation in 100 days, freeing the slaves in the states deemed in rebellion at that time. On January 1, 1863, he issued the Emancipation Proclamation.

With the passing of the 13th Amendment to the U. S. Constitution in effect in 1865, slavery was completely abolished. The results of the Emancipation Proclamation were far-reaching, Lincolns Party (Republican) became unified in principle and in organization, and the prestige it attained enabled it to hold power until 1884
1609522805155.png

The Real Django

1609789319724.png

This is the actual man on which the movie D’Jango is loosely based. His name is Dangerfield Newby, and he was a member of the John Brown party . He joined to save his wife and children, Harriet. Their love story was real, and you all should check out their narrative and love letters.

Dangerfield Newby (1815 – October 16, 1859) was the oldest of John Brown's raiders, one of five black raiders, and the first of his men to die at Harpers Ferry, Virginia.

Born into slavery in Fauquier County, Virginia, Newby married a woman also enslaved. Newby's father was Henry Newby, a landowner in Fauquier County. His mother was Elsey Newby, who was a slave, owned not by Henry, but by a neighbor, John Fox. Elsey and Henry lived together for many years and had several children, although interracial marriage was illegal in Virginia. Dangerfield was their first child. Dangerfield Newby, his mother and his siblings were later freed by his father when he moved them across the Ohio River into Bridgeport, Ohio. John Fox, who died in 1859, apparently did not attempt to retrieve Elsey, Dangerfield, or any of his siblings. Dangerfield's wife and their seven children remained in bondage. A letter found on his body revealed some of his motivation for joining John Brown and the raid on Harpers Ferry.

Dangerfield Newby's wife, Harriet Newby, was the slave of Jesse Jennings, of Arlington or Warrenton, Virginia. She and her children were sold to Louisiana after the raid. Newby had been unable to purchase the freedom of his wife and seven children. Their master raised the price after Newby had saved the $1,500 that had previously been agreed on. Because all of Newby's other efforts had failed he hoped to free them by force. Harriet's poignant letters, found on his body, proved instrumental in advancing the abolitionist cause. Newby was six foot two.

On 17 October 1859, the citizens of Harpers Ferry set to put down the raid. Harpers Ferry manufactured guns but the citizens had little ammunition, so during the assault on the raiders they fired anything they could fit into a gun barrel. One man was shooting six inch spikes from his rifle, one of which struck Newby in the throat, killing him instantly. After the raid, the people of Harpers Ferry took his body, stabbed it repeatedly, and amputated his limbs. His body was left in an alley to be eaten by hogs. In 1899 the remains of Newby-plus remains of nine other raiders-were reburied in a common grave near the body of John Brown in North Elba, New York.

The following letter was found on Dangerfield Newby's body after the failed Harpers Ferry raid:

BRENTVILLE, August 16, 1859:

Dear Husband.

I want you to buy me as soon as possible for if you do not get me somebody else will. The servants are very disagreeable. They do all that they can to set my mistress against me. Dear Husband you are not the trouble I see these last two years. It has been like a troubled dream to me. It is said that the Master is in want of monney. If so I know not what time he may sell me. Then all my bright hopes of the future are blasted. For there has been one bright hope to cheer me in all my troubles, that is to be with you. For if I thought I should never see you on this earth, life would have no charm for me. Do all you can for me which I have no doubt you will. I want to see you so much. The children are all well. The baby cannot walk yet. The baby can step around any thing by holding on to it, very much like Agnes. I must bring my letter to close as I have no news to write. You must write soon and say when you think you can come.

Your affectionate Wife,

HARRIET NEWBY.

Random, but while I’m not in the business of policing people’s dating choices, it’s really wild how every ****ing commercial there’s a black/white interracial couple. Black couples exist, all of us ain’t tryna swirl, damn.

I say this constantly - brands are overcompensating. Just do a spot with black people.

Back
Top Bottom