Let's make everything about RACE (Unapologetically Black Thread)

Methodical Management Methodical Management Yes, here we are again. It appears that no matter what I will say you will have some issue with it. When did I ever deny racism in this country? I never said racism does not exist in this world. I did say with persistence that I am NOT one of them. But, due to comments I have made to a person on here, one person, it will constantly be put back in my face over and over again. I guess I am supposed to just constantly be reminded of those comments while disregarding all other comments made to me and other members as well. I have several times tried to explain myself to you in pms and for some reason YOU still want to believe I am a certain type of person. If my comments were so damn awful, why did you not just ban me then?
Instead you allow people to constantly bury me and others for their enjoyment and humor. I tried to move on regardless of what I was reading. But when your name is constantly being tagged with HATE behind it, human nature is to react and defend yourself. Have you ever made a mistake Meth? Ever said something out of anger without true thought of what it could mean to others? Apparently not. Instead you I guess have "gifted" me with your scoldings and belittlement. My "privilege" as you want to say repeatedly, gets thrown in my face as a discussion closer. I am white and have no business speaking for anyone else and their lives but that concept does not seem to be the same when its flipped. Their are more white bashing posts on this site it makes my head spin. But, that is OK is it not? That is not supposed to be offensive, right? So while you scold me for my "lack of knowledge and ignorance", look at some of these posts your valued members say to each other. I have made mistakes HERE. I have written posts without thought at times. But I have NEVER written a hate post at all. I have never bashed a race and never would. But THAT is what takes place on here ALL THE TIME. For you to say in anyway I have attacked anyone in here, you must not have been reading what has been sent my way. Because it at times has been disturbing. YOU know where this ALL originated from with myself and others. An MJ Doc thread. But you now want to make a mockery of it to help prove YOUR point to me. I am not looking for protection from you.
It has come to my realization that your not gonna be satisfied with what I say. But I will say again to the likes of DC, KHUFU, Malik, and so many more, I am sorry for some of the comments that I have said on this site. It has never been a goal to downgrade and or belittle anyone at all. My posts at times were sometimes with emotion and anger behind them. To the members in here that I have upset in anyway, I am very sorry. There are several members on NT I truly enjoy and respect. And I dont want to lose what respect from them I may have left on here. I may be a lot of things. But a racist I am not. Do what you got to do Meth.
You say you don't want protection, but it has appeared throughout the past few months that you badly want me to take you off the hook, either by telling everyone you've offended to leave you alone, under threat of sanction, or by kicking you out so you can continue to feel persecuted. The outcome you least want is one where YOU are left to deal with the consequences of your actions - and that's precisely the outcome I believe you deserve.

The reputation you're developing has not been forced on you by people with an axe to grind, as you so claim. If you want that to change, and you do, may I suggest that you actually make an effort.

You've acknowledged that you've "made mistakes," but refuse to specify precisely what you believe you did wrong or demonstrate an understanding of why it caused harm. Worse, you keep making those mistakes over and over again.

Through your passive-aggressive "apologies" that seem to read like "I'm sorry if you overreacted to my innocent comments because you unfairly blame me for things other White people did hundreds of years ago", it is patently clear that you've learned absolutely nothing in all of this, and that you've no intention of actually listening to those who, with varying degrees of patience, have attempted to explain to you why what you've said is indeed offensive.

You're disappointed that people appear to have lost respect for you, but I've yet to see any indication that you understand why, exactly, that would be the case. You say you wrote "without thought", but what statements were made incorrectly? Do you understand why they were hurtful? What will you do differently moving forward?

Absent any such reflection, it appears to me as if you don't sincerely want to learn, you just want everyone else to forget and "move on." What does an apology mean to you? That you just spend a period of time in the penalty box, after which everything goes back to normal?
How, exactly, is it fair to ask everyone you've offended to swallow their dignity for the sake of your comfort? Are these "I did nothing wrong, you're all the real racists because you hate me just for being White" rants really the best you can do?

You're trying to cast yourself as the victim here, as if everyone who's criticized you has some underhanded agenda. Tell me, then, since I'm in that group, what do you believe to be my "agenda" here?

You act as if I'm some bully who's done nothing but berate and belittle you publicly, while you've patiently explained yourself in private - ignoring the hours I've spent providing you with resources and patiently attempting to explain to you concepts that you could have researched on your own.

There's a wealth of resources out there for those who wish to learn about White privilege and racism, including recently-written books designed for curious general audiences like So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluwo, Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabelle Wilkerson, and How to Be An Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi. Some, like White Fragility: Why it's so Hard for White People to Talk About Race by Robin Di Angelo, are even written by White people - if that's less threatening to you.

Ask yourself: what effort have you made to understand any of this?

All I've seen has been an effort to hand wave away anything and everything you don't like. Teaching you about inequality and privilege is like feeding broccoli to a fussy toddler.

Case in point:
Im not watching some stupid *** video.
That says a lot.

You asked me "When did I ever deny racism in this country?" The quote was right there in my earlier post:

I know the history. You cannot seem to learn from it. You can keep throwing your sexy phrase at me all you want. But it still dont change the FACT that YOU are the one bitter about a period of time that YOU were not involved in. NOT me.

You also consistently deny the very existence of White privilege, throwing it in quotes to delegitimize the concept itself.

That you may not feel privileged is not the litmus test for privilege. Your ability not to deal with race if you so choose, that feeling of entitlement you had to participate in the Last Dance thread, or NikeTalk generally, without being inconvenienced by the oppression of others is a blatant example of White privilege.

Your perspective is limited, not objective, and it does not trump or supersede the direct lived experiences of others. Imagine a large building that, from a bird's eye view, is shaped like the letter "T", like this:
Mr T.jpg

From where you're standing, it may just look like an ordinary rectangular building. To someone standing on the opposite side, it would look very different. Your attitude, to this point, is akin to telling someone with a different view, "you're lying. I'm standing right outside and the building is clearly rectangular."

You don't think White privilege exists because you don't see it, and that, to you, is all there is to it. You haven't considered the implications of that belief at scale: like, if White privilege doesn't exist, then why are employment, incarceration, and college enrollment rates different?

Believing things to be "neutral" is not a neutral belief.

It's great that you view NikeTalk a place of refuge, but consider whose comfort you're privileging when you demand that other community members keep their oppression out of your sneaker forum. If you came home one night injured from an assault, would you feel if, instead of expressing concern, your family members/roommates expected you to silently bind your wounds, stifle your anguish, and shut up so they can watch the game? Would that still feel like a place of safety and "refuge" for you?

You go out of your way to say "I'm not the enemy," but ask yourself: are you an ally?

Karen, NT Moderator, Kevin, Reverse Racism etc.
Wouldn’t even work within the context of his statement. Those are words HE would use. What “sexy phrases” are being argued against him? Equality? Integration? Socially unbiased?

Someone needs to tell me why Black people should not be tired of white people....

Frazer B. and Julia Baker were an African-American father and daughter who were lynched on February 22, 1898 in Lake City, Florence County, South Carolina.
Frazier Baker was appointed postmaster of Lake City in 1897, but local whites objected and undertook a campaign to force his removal. When these efforts failed to dislodge Baker a mob attacked his family, killing him and his daughter and wounding his wife and three other children. The incident and subsequent federal trial spurred national efforts to combat lynching.
As part of the distribution of "spoils" after the 1896 Presidential election, the McKinley administration appointed hundreds of blacks to postmasterships across the Black Belt. These recess appointments were resisted by local whites who resented any black officeholders, and feared that the increased political power that accompanied them would embolden black men to proposition white women.
A 40-year-old schoolteacher, Frazier B. Baker, was appointed postmaster of Lake City, South Carolina in 1897 and immediately encountered fierce opposition from local whites. While the surrounding Willamsburg county was 63% black, Lake City was, with fewer than a dozen black residents, overwhelmingly white. A boycott of the Lake City post office was initiated, and petitions calling for Baker's dismissal were circulated. One complaint was that Baker, a member of the Colored Farmers Alliance, had cut mail delivery from three times a day to just one after threats against his life were made. A postal inspector arrived to investigate the complaints and recommended that the post office be closed; in response, a white mob burned it down with the expectation that no one would rent space to relocate it while Baker remained postmaster. The government obtained space on the outskirts of town, however, and a lessening of racial tension led Baker to send for his family in February 1898.
Threats against Baker's life were made as whites remained hostile to his presence, and Baker communicated these threats to his superiors in Washington.
At 1:00 AM on February 21, 1898 the Baker family awoke to find their house (which also served as the post office) on fire. Frazier Baker attempted to put out the fire without success, and sent his son, Lincoln, to find help. As soon as Lincoln opened the door he was met with gunfire, and Baker pulled him back into the house. Baker cursed the mob and began to pray. As the fire grew, the heat intensified, and Baker turned to his wife, Lavinia, saying that they, "might as well die running as standing still," and started for the door. Before he could open the door a bullet struck and killed his two-year-old daughter, Julia, as she was being held in Lavinia's arms. Baker, realizing that his youngest daughter had been killed, threw open the door and was cut down in a hail of gunfire.
Lavinia, wounded by the same bullet that had killed her daughter, rallied her family to escape the burning house by running across the road to hide under shrubbery in an adjacent field. After waiting for the flames and gunfire to subside, Lavinia made her way to a neighbor's home and found one daughter waiting, and was later joined by the oldest, Rosa. Rosa had been shot through the right arm and fled the house with an unidentified armed white male in pursuit. Only Sarah (age 7) and Millie (age 5) escaped unscathed. The survivors remained in Lake City for three days, but received no medical treatment.
Unusually, the lynching was met with widespread condemnation. The lynching was defended by those who agreed with South Carolina Senator Benjamin Tillman's appraisal of the "proud people" of Lake City's refusal to receive "their mail from a ******."
Ida B. Wells-Barnett denounced the lynching, and noted that the lynchers hadn't even bothered with the pretense of Baker having committed a crime. At a mass protest in Chicago she mocked the lynchers as southerners "whose proud boast is their chivalry toward womanhood." In order to present the resolutions passed at that meeting she met with President McKinley, arguing that Baker’s murder "was a federal matter, pure and simple. He died at his post of duty in defense of his country’s honor, as truly as did ever a soldier on the field of battle." McKinley assured her that an investigation was underway. While in Washington she also urged Congress to provide support to the survivors, but attempts were unable to overcome southern opposition.
While the lynching competed with the sinking of the USS Maine and the escalating tensions between the United States and Spain for the attention of the press, coverage of it was nevertheless widespread. In South Carolina, white newspapers condemned the murder as "dastardly" and "revolting." The Williamsburg County Record called the lynching "the darkest blot upon South Carolina's history," but that the McKinley administration was also to blame for "thrusting venal negro henchmen into Southern offices of trust."
A grand jury was convened in Williamsburg County, but failed to return any indictments. The McKinley administration conducted a robust investigation of the murder, initially offering a $1,500 ($43,182 today) reward for the arrest and conviction of the mob. Despite resistance to testifying, prosecutors indicted 7 men on the charge of murdering Baker on 1 July 1898. Ultimately, thirteen men were indicted in U.S. Circuit Court charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, assault, and destruction of mail on 7 April 1899, after two men, Joseph P. Newham and Early P. Lee, turned state's evidence in exchange for their cases being dropped.
The trial was held in federal court from 10–22 April 1899, and the list of accused was as follows:
Alonza Rogers
Charles D. Joyner
Edwin Rogers
Ezra McKnight
Henry Goodwin
Henry Stokes
Marion Clark
Martin Ward
Moultrie Epps
Oscar Kelly
W. A. Webster
The all-white jury was composed of businessmen from across the state. Newham, the prosecution's star witness, admitted to starting the fire and identified eight of the defendants as having participated in the murders. He expressed no remorse for the death of Baker and his daughter. Another witness, M. B. Springs, identified Henry Stokes as the ringleader; Springs was ostracized in Lake City and was ultimately placed under protection. An African-American witness, Henderson Williams, testified that he had seen armed white men at the post office on the night of the lynching; he was also retaliated against and fled to Florence after a white business partner threatened to "do [him] like they did Baker."
The jury deliberated for around 24 hours before declaring a mistrial because the jury deadlocked five to five. The case was never retried.
Following the mistrial, Lake City whites asked that the post office be reopened and mail service restored, an act that many African Americans derided as hypocritical.
On 2 May 1898, a mass meeting was held at the Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina, which passed a resolution condemning the attack and took a collection of $16 for the Baker family.
Lavinia Baker is treated by Dr. Alonzo McClennan at the
Lavinia Baker and her surviving children remained in Charleston for several months after the verdict. Lillian Clayton Jewett met with Dr. Alonzo C. McClennan, the Charleston physician chairing a committee charged with the Bakers' welfare, and arranged a meeting with Lavinia. Lavinia agreed to accompany Jewett back to Boston, and she and her children, accompanied there by Jewett and Dr. Lucy Hughes Brown, a colleague of Dr. McClennan. Baker and Jewett had a falling out after several public appearances, with William Lloyd Garrison, Jr. spearheading fund-raising efforts to buy the Baker family a home near Boston.
The Bakers remained in Boston but out of public life. The surviving Baker children fell victim to a tuberculosis epidemic, with four children {William; Sarah; Lincoln, Cora} dying from the disease 1908-1920. Her last child Rosa Baker died in 1942. Her children dead, Lavinia Baker returned to Florence County, where she lived until her death in Cartersville, South Carolina in 1947.
In 1918, the St. James AME Church was constructed on the site of the burned post office. In 1955 the church was burned down by suspected white supremacists angry at its minister's (Reverend J. A. DeLaine) civil rights activism on behalf of the NAACP. Racists had warned Delaine that he lived "where the black postmaster was shot to death many years ago."
In 2003 the general assembly passed a resolution in favor of a South Carolina historical marker on the tragedy. That marker was finally unveiled in October 2013 on South Church Street, the previous location of the post office and Baker's home.

May be an image of 6 people and people standing

THE DOCTOR

Julius Winfield Erving II (born February 22, 1950), commonly known by the nickname Dr. J, is an American retired basketball player who helped popularize a modern style of play that emphasizes leaping and playing above the rim. Erving helped legitimize the American Basketball Association (ABA) and was the best-known player in that league when it merged with the National Basketball Association (NBA) after the 1975–76 season.
Erving won three championships, four Most Valuable Player Awards, and three scoring titles with the ABA's Virginia Squires and New York Nets (now the NBA's Brooklyn Nets) and the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. He is the sixth-highest scorer in ABA/NBA history with 30,026 points (NBA and ABA combined). He was well known for slam dunking from the free throw line in slam dunk contests and was the only player voted Most Valuable Player in both the ABA and the NBA.
Erving was inducted in 1993 into the Basketball Hall of Fame and was also named to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time team. In 1994, Erving was named by Sports Illustrated as one of the 40 most important athletes of all time. In 2004, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame.
Many consider him one of the most talented players in the history of the NBA; he is widely acknowledged as one of the game's best dunkers. While Connie Hawkins, "Jumping" Johnny Green, Elgin Baylor, Jim Pollard and Gus Johnson performed spectacular dunks before Erving's time, "Dr. J" brought the practice into the mainstream. His signature dunk was the "slam" dunk, since incorporated into the vernacular and basic skill set of the game in the same manner as the "crossover" dribble and the "no look" pass. Before Julius Erving, dunking was a practice most commonly used by the big men (usually standing close to the hoop) to show their brutal strength which was seen as style over substance, even unsportsmanlike, by many purists of the game. However, the way Erving utilized the dunk more as a high-percentage shot made at the end of maneuvers generally starting well away from the basket and not necessarily a "show of force" helped to make the shot an acceptable strategy, especially in trying to avoid a blocked shot. Although the slam dunk is still widely used as a show of power, a method of intimidation and a way to fire up a team (and spectators), Dr. J demonstrated that there can be great artistry and almost balletic style to slamming the ball into the hoop, particularly after a launch several feet from that target.
Erving was born in East Meadow, NY and played for Roosevelt High School and reportedly received the nickname "Doctor" or "Dr. J" from a high school friend. Erving enrolled at the University of Massachusetts in 1968. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1986 through the University Without Walls at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. In two varsity college basketball seasons, he averaged 32.5 points and 20.2 rebounds per game, becoming one of only five players to average more than 20 points and 20 rebounds per game in NCAA Men's Basketball. Erving was also instrumental in bringing legitimacy to the now-defunct American Basketball Association.
He signed with the ABA in 1971, and played with the Virginia Squires from 1971-73 and the New York Nets from 1973-76. He then moved to the NBA, where he played with the Philadelphia 76ers until his retirement in 1987. He was named the NBA MVP in 1981, and led the 76ers to the NBA championship in 1983. When he retired, Erving ranked in the top 10 in scoring (third), most field goals made (third), most field goals attempted (fifth) and most steals (first). On the combined NBA/ABA scoring list, Erving ranked third with 30,026 points. Julius Erving basketball statistics are; in ABA (1971-76)— 3-time MVP, 2-time playoff MVP, led NY Nets to 2 titles (1974,76); in NBA (1976-87)— 5-time All-NBA 1st team, MVP in 1981, led Philadelphia 76ers to title in 1983.
After his basketball career, he became a businessman, obtaining ownership of a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Philadelphia and doing work for TV as an analyst. In 1997, he joined the front office of the Orlando Magic. He and former NFL running back Joe Washington fielded a NASCAR Busch Grand National Series team in the late 1990s, becoming the first ever NASCAR racing team at any level owned completely by minorities. The team had secure sponsorship from Dr Pepper for most of its existence. Erving, a racing fan himself, stated that his foray into NASCAR was an attempt to raise interest in NASCAR among African-Americans.
He has also served on the Board of Directors of Converse, Darden Restaurants, Inc., Saks Incorporated and The Sports Authority. As of 2009, Erving is the owner of The Celebrity Golf Club International outside of Atlanta.
Erving is a Christian. Erving has spoken about his faith saying, "After searching for the meaning of life for over ten years, I found the meaning in Jesus Christ."
Erving was married to Turquoise Erving from 1972 until 2003. Together they had four children. Their son, Cory, drowned after driving his vehicle into a pond in 2000.
In 1979, Erving began an adulterous affair with sportswriter Samantha Stevenson, resulting in the 1980 birth of American tennis player, Alexandra Stevenson. Although Erving's fatherhood of Alexandra Stevenson was known privately to the families involved, it did not become public knowledge until Stevenson reached the semifinals at Wimbledon in 1999, the first year she qualified to play in the tournament. Erving had provided financial support for Stevenson over the years, but beyond that, had not been a part of her life. The public disclosure of their relationship did not initially lead to contact between father and daughter. However, in 2008, Stevenson contacted him, and they at last did initiate a further relationship with one another. In 2009 Erving attended the Family Circle Cup tennis tournament to see Stevenson play, marking the first time he had attended one of her matches.
In 2003, he fathered a second child outside of his marriage, Justin Kangas, this time with a woman named Dorýs Madden. Julius and Turquoise Erving were subsequently divorced. Erving continued his relationship with Madden, with the couple having three more children together. In 2008, he and Madden were married. Erving has in total fathered nine children.

May be an image of 1 person

I say that we should, should not only go after whatever wealth is left over, we should also force the institutions that benefitted from slavery to ante up. If they don't? Let the boycotts begin. Let's destroy their businesses.

Nathaniel Gordon was the only slave trader in the U.S. to be tried, convicted, and executed "for being engaged in the Slave Trade," under the Piracy Law of 1820.
On this date in 1862, Nathaniel Gordon was hanged for slave trading. He captained the slave ship Erie and is the only person in American history executed for slave-trading.
During the early hours of that day, Gordon was found in convulsion in his cell. Physicians found that he had taken strychnine. According to an article in the New York Daily Tribune, the substance had been given to Gordon by an unidentified person at the beginning of his second trial and hidden in a small bench in his cell. A stomach pump, catheters, and brandy were used to revive him. He begged doctors to allow him to die, but every effort was made to restore him.
Threats were sent to the Marshal by Gordon sympathizers who opposed his execution. In response, Marines were placed within the walls of the prison, but no riots occurred. No attempts were made to stop the proceeding. His sentence was pronounced by the U.S. Marshal. Gordon was asked if he had any final statements, and according to newspaper accounts, he said
"I did nothing wrong."

1614021739310.png

Rochester airport renamed to honor Frederick Douglass

A human being is "by nature a migratory animal," Frederick Douglass said in 1887 — "a born traveler."

Douglass was one of the best traveled men of the 19th century, crisscrossing the United States on speaking tours and visiting much of western Europe as well as Egypt and Haiti. Now his voyaging and his influence have been memorialized in his adopted hometown with the naming of the Frederick Douglass Greater Rochester International Airport.

The new name, decided upon last summer by the Monroe County Legislature, was unveiled Feb. 14, the date Douglass chose as his birthday.

"Adding Frederick Douglass' name to our airport shows our pride that this American icon once called this community home," Monroe County Executive Adam Bello said.

Regina King Is Working On A Biopic About Trailblazer Shirley Chisholm
“Shirley Chisholm’s fearless determination has been an inspiration to so many of us, and with this film we hope to inspire many generations to come,” said King.

Shirley Chisholm’s story definitely needs to be told but I’m having a hard time looking forward to this given how disappointed I was with Regina’s One night in Miami.

Outside of Leslie Odom Jr’s performance I didn’t enjoy that film at all. I might be alone on that one, I know 😂.

Shirley Chisholm’s story definitely needs to be told but I’m having a hard time looking forward to this given how disappointed I was with Regina’s One night in Miami.

Outside of Leslie Odom Jr’s performance I didn’t enjoy that film at all. I might be alone on that one, I know 😂.
The best thing about that film for me was that it was beautifully filmed. What happened in that hotel room was covered well in Thomas Hauser’s book on Ali. Great read!

3/4s is when he lost it.
You know, this is what happens when someone thinks that their white privilege disappears, simply because they wear air jordans. You just know that he disarms unknowing Black people when he shows up in a pair of XI’s.

Seneca Village was a small village in the borough of Manhattan in New York City, founded by freed black people. Seneca Village existed from 1825 through 1857, when it was torn down for the construction of Central Park.
The village was the first significant community of African American property owners on Manhattan, and also came to be inhabited by several other minorities, including Irish and German immigrants. The village was located on about 5 acres between where 82nd and 89th Streets and Seventh and Eighth Avenues (which is actually Central Park West) would now intersect, an area now covered by Central Park. A stone outcropping near the 85th Street entrance to Central Park is believed to be part of a foundation of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church.

1614108985062.png

The Zong Massacre (1781)
The slave ship Zong departed the coast of Africa on 6 September 1781 with 470 slaves. Since this human chattel was such a valuable commodity at that time, many captains took on more slaves than their ships could accommodate in order to maximize profits. The Zong’s captain, Luke Collingwood, overloaded his ship with slaves and by 29 November many of them had begun to die from disease and malnutrition. The Zong then sailed in an area in the mid-Atlantic known as “the Doldrums” because of periods of little or no wind. As the ship sat stranded, sickness caused the deaths of seven of the 17 crew members and over 50 slaves.
Increasingly desperate, Collingwood decided to “jettison” some of the cargo in order to save the ship and provide the ship owners the opportunity to claim for the loss on their insurance. Over the next week the remaining crew members threw 132 slaves who were sick and dying over the side. Another 10 slaves threw themselves overboard in what Collingwood later described as an “Act of Defiance.”
Upon the Zong’s arrival in Jamaica, James Gregson, the ship’s owner, filed an insurance claim for their loss. Gregson argued that the Zong did not have enough water to sustain both crew and the human commodities. The insurance underwriter, Thomas Gilbert, disputed the claim citing that the Zong had 420 gallons of water aboard when she was inventoried in Jamaica. Despite this the Jamaican court in 1782 found in favour of the owners. The insurers appealed the case in 1783 and in the process provoked a great deal of public interest and the attention of Great Britain's abolitionists. The leading abolitionist at the time, Granville Sharp, used the deaths of the slaves to increase public awareness about the slave trade and further the anti-slavery cause. It was he who first used the word massacre.
Publicity surrounding the Zong Massacre and the first case led William Murray, the Earl of Mansfield and the Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench, the highest court in Great Britain, to order a second trial. Mansfield presided and ruled in favour of the insurers. He also held that the cargo had been poorly managed as the captain should have made a suitable allowance of water for each slave.
Sharp attempted to have criminal charges brought against the Captain, crew, and the owners but was unsuccessful. Great Britain's The Solicitor General, Justice John Lee, however, refused to take up the criminal charges claiming “What is this claim that human people have been thrown overboard?
This is a case of chattels or goods. Blacks are goods and property; it is madness to accuse these well-serving honourable men of murder… The case is the same as if wood had been thrown overboard.”
Although those who were responsible for the Zong massacre were never brought to justice, the event itself increased the Maritime Museum (Ref: REC/19), Grayson v Gilbert 1783; James Walvin, The Zong A Massacre, the Law and the End of Slavery (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2011); Hugh Thomas, The Slave Trade: The Story of the Atlantic Slave Trade: 1440-1870 (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1999).

1614109284985.png

Back
Top Bottom