Let's re-visit the NBA dresscode

calibeebee

Supporter
It's been 7 years since the code was implemented and I was curious to hear what peoples opinions are on the matter now.  Has your stance changed since it was first implemented?  Do you still think it was a good/bad idea?   Has the rule made anything better or worse, or does it not affect you in any way?

Also have you noticed any changes in society as a result of the implementation?  If you don't feel like posting thought provoking responses, at least post pics so we can all have a good laugh
roll.gif
roll.gif

who would honestly think it was a bad idea? they are millionaires, they should be dressing as professionals and looking clean. Not wearing du-rags, baggy jeans, and over sized polos.

Seems like a lot of dudes OD just to go to/leave the arena...3x tall tees were terrible, but I don't know why a t-shirt and jeans (that both fit) can't be acceptable.

Unless it is....?

I understand why it was enforced, but I don't necessarily agree with the notion of there being a look you should have because you make a lot of money.

I'm still against it.

Because it's DEEPLY rooted in stereotypical constructs. Also, when you take into account that the NBA was the FIRST major league to implement a dress code it looks even more obvious what the thought process behind it was. I personally like to dress up...but I don't know how I would feel FORCED to wear something if you can't give me a legit explanation as to WHY. Everyone keeps saying they are "professionals" and should dress like it. They're professional ATHLETES. The only attire they should be REQUIRED to wear are team issued uniforms and apparel. I've always thought it was funny how the media during press conferences would wear all types of random #%#$ but it's the players who are required to dress up. Members of the media are "professional" as well right. Interestingly enough, the MLB just passed down a Media Dress Code so I'm certainly not alone in recognizing the hypocrisy in alot of this #%#$.

Aren't you allowed to wear team apparel to/from games? I'd purposely show up to the arena and leave with a new team issued sweatsuit for every game on some AAU #%#$ just to be rebellious.

Hate to make everything a black/white thing but alot of things ARE black/white sometimes and this is one of them.

And has the league's "image problem" really improved since then?

My input is still the same even after 7 years. These are professional athletes and the NBA is a big corporate brand. It's only fitting to dress up in somewhat a professional matter. I mean I wouldn't walk into a corporate office in a jersey, chains and a hat.
laugh.gif
 Plus, the style nowadays is dressy now. 

Still ridiculous imo. NBA players have always been "professional" athletes, rule kicked in 7 years ago. That doesn't add up, and it damn sure doesn't make it logical. Gotta agree with Dior on this one 

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

My input is still the same even after 7 years. These are professional athletes and the NBA is a big corporate brand. It's only fitting to dress up in somewhat a professional matter. I mean I wouldn't walk into a corporate office in a jersey, chains and a hat.
laugh.gif

Someone is going to explain to me how this makes any sense. They're walking onto a basketball floor. Not a corporate office. The @+%%##% federal government doesn't even have a dress code.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

I'm still against it.

Because it's DEEPLY rooted in stereotypical constructs. Aren't you allowed to wear team apparel to/from games? I'd purposely show up to the arena and leave with a new team issued sweatsuit for every game on some AAU #%#$ just to be rebellious.

Hate to make everything a black/white thing but alot of things ARE black/white sometimes and this is one of them.
I agree completely.

OK let me start off by saying I'm African- American myself. Do I think this rule was implemented b/c of the way some African- Americans dressed? Definitely. Was the league wrong to do so? Absolutely not. Race doesn't play as big a part as people try to make it seem. If another race was wearing something deemed totally unprofessional... Let's say overalls with a tank top and cowboy boots day in day out, Stern would have said enough is enough. It just so happened that it was African Americans that were wearing the baggy pants, fitted hats, tall tees, chains etc like they've got Downs at Rucker Park. No matter what you say, this stuff does not look professional when you're going to work. Period. If you don't agree, then you just don't get it. The same way AI just doesn't get it. I love the fact that he stepped in and made them dress professionally because it adds a sense of prestige and class to the league. Again, if you don't agree with that, then you probably own one tie and don't know how to tie it.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

laugh.gif

Someone is going to explain to me how this makes any sense. They're walking onto a basketball floor. Not a corporate office. The @+%%##% federal government doesn't even have a dress code.

Because the players are representing a brand. 

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

OK let me start off by saying I'm African- American myself. Do I think this rule was implemented b/c of the way some African- Americans dressed? Definitely. Was the league wrong to do so? Absolutely not. Race doesn't play as big a part as people try to make it seem. If another race was wearing something deemed totally unprofessional... Let's say overalls with a tank top and cowboy boots day in day out, Stern would have said enough is enough. It just so happened that it was African Americans that were wearing the baggy pants, fitted hats, tall tees, chains etc like they've got Downs at Rucker Park. No matter what you say, this stuff does not look professional when you're going to work. Period. If you don't agree, then you just don't get it. The same way AI just doesn't get it. I love the fact that he stepped in and made them dress professionally because it adds a sense of prestige and class to the league. Again, if you don't agree with that, then you probably own one tie and don't know how to tie it.

Aside from the shots you took at other people...I agree.

I'm still against it. 

Because it's DEEPLY rooted in stereotypical constructs. Also, when you take into account that the NBA was the FIRST major league to implement a dress code it looks even more obvious what the thought process behind it was. I personally like to dress up...but I don't know how I would feel FORCED to wear something if you can't give me a legit explanation as to WHY. Everyone keeps saying they are "professionals" and should dress like it. They're professional ATHLETES. The only attire they should be REQUIRED to wear are team issued uniforms and apparel. I've always thought it was funny how the media during press conferences would wear all types of random #%#$ but it's the players who are required to dress up. Members of the media are "professional" as well right. Interestingly enough, the MLB just passed down a Media Dress Code so I'm certainly not alone in recognizing the hypocrisy in alot of this #%#$.

Aren't you allowed to wear team apparel to/from games? I'd purposely show up to the arena and leave with a new team issued sweatsuit for every game on some AAU #%#$ just to be rebellious. 

And has the league's "image problem" really improved since then? 
I also agree with most of the stuff here as well...

However as brand representatives they should be just that. 

I think teams should have the option of doing either professional attire OR warmups. 

Agreed.
pimp.gif

But prior to the chains and +$!$ most dudes were wearing sweatsuits. Not every job requires a professional dress code, this one didn't until Stern and AI clashed. These are athletes not corporate dudes we are speaking of, a majority of players dressed unprofessional before this specific trend, but their profession is basketball so it never mattered. 

You're playing into the same stereotypes that society has laid down for us. You can't SERIOUSLY believe that if they wearing overalls and cowboy boots that this would have been an issue. There aren't any negative connotations behind that style of clothing. But the world we live has associated "baggy clothing, white t's, chains, etc." with the same negativity that the hip hop culture receives. We associate people who wear these clothes with "thugs" and "hoodlums". Never seen someone criticized for wearing overalls and cowboy boots. Clown maybe...but never some huge outcry. I've been to a fair amount of Nationals/Oriole games. I've seen dudes show up to and leave the ballparks looking like they're about to go hunting. But there's no outcry...because the same stereotypes aren't associated with it. #$%@ was never about clothes...
The hypocrisy of society in general is funny when you think about it. 

Nba_Ballers.jpg

Let's milk the culture when it makes us money...but try to avoid the stereotypes that come with the negative pub. 
laugh.gif

America at it's finest.

By playing basketball...

What is your point? 

This "corporate world business" aspect that some of you keep overstating has absolutely NOTHING to do with the world of professional sports from an ATHLETE'S point of view. If you believe that what they wear to/from games is conducive to how their images are received by the public....then CERTAINLY you have to believe that race DID play a huge role in the rule. 

I'm still against it.

Because it's DEEPLY rooted in stereotypical constructs.

Agreed.
Zyzz wrote:
who would honestly think it was a bad idea? they are millionaires, they should be dressing as professionals and looking clean. Not wearing du-rags, baggy jeans, and over sized polos.

Case in point.

^ wade I see what you're saying. Back in the day, suits weren't always worn I'm sure. I guess it was the rebellion/ attitude/ arrogance displayed by some players, namely Allen Iverson. Stern felt he had to flex his clout to show then who's boss.

You mean the "Lets find a legal way to force Iverson to assimilate" rule?

It is nothing now. I really don't think about it. But we know why it was made. Daddy Stern didn't like the way his "workers" looked in the eyes of his corporate partners. Clean up the image of the NBA was the point. I don't blame him nor am I saying I wouldn't do the same thing.

Thought it was/is a good idea. Looks professional, but i can understand if you're offended by it

eek.gif
can you imagine what that casual wear thread would be like without this rule
laugh.gif
lulz for days
anyway, I was against the rule initially and I still am for reason alreadys stated in this thread.

who has that pic of tim duncan on the red carpet before the asg
laugh.gif
that man gave no damn

EDIT: FOUND IT
laugh.gif

rtqnet.jpg

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

I understand why it was enforced, but I don't necessarily agree with the notion of there being a look you should have because you make a lot of money.

@Dior Paint First off, if there was a Caucasian player smarting off to Stern and he constantly wore unprofessional attire, the Powers that be would step in and flex their clout because he's bringing negative attention to himself, begging stern to find something wrong. NOW would it have been on a grand scale of changing the ENTIRE league? Probably not.... You basically said it yourself. Let's just face the facts: the urban attire is associated with hoodlums. Stern may have been toying with the idea for a while, but it took an unruly African American kid to tip him over the edge. And let's face it: most bosses ain't having that. The main thing we're looking at is image. The image of a billion dollar brand. The second underlying issue... Is power. If there were no AI... there we may not be having this discussion. He ticked off the wrong guy.

Nba_Ballers.jpg

Let's milk the culture when it makes us money...but try to avoid the stereotypes that come with the negative pub. 
laugh.gif

America at it's finest.

By playing basketball...

What is your point? 

This "corporate world business" aspect that some of you keep overstating has absolutely NOTHING to do with the world of professional sports from an ATHLETE'S point of view. If you believe that what they wear to/from games is conducive to how their images are received by the public....then CERTAINLY you have to believe that race DID play a huge role in the rule. 

That's my point right there. They're playing professional sports. If this was a rec-league then it would be a different story, they can dress however they want. But some of these players 7 years ago would dress up as if they just got out of bed and didn't shower.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom