Live-Action Star Wars on Disney+ | The Acolyte | New episodes Tuesdays | R.I.P. Carl Weathers

Did you like Chapter 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree, nothing has really even played out yet and it's decent enough storytelling with not a lot of weird beats of something like say Obi Wan or Iron Fist. Not saying it's good or bad, but it needs to play out.

Been reading a lot of people bi**ching over the fact that the witches were just laying there and they dont know how they died. Its like these people have never watched murder mystery type shows before. God forbid there are still things to figure out when we arent even half way through the season yet.

Last edited:
I think both sides of the fandom are just super dramatic and are just quick to bite and get worked up and get defensive when an opinions differs from theirs. One side uses the same buzzwords everytime like neck beards, incels, toxic, etc. While the other size uses woke, shills, fanboys, etc.

This is a weekly series so if the quality of content is mid, it becomes like this thread where there’s only about 4 posts of actual plot points, in barely one page, and the rest are just folks worried about why strangers hate and dislike the show. Both sides live rent free in each others minds 24/7.

But when you sit back and look at it, this fandom isn’t really any different than when your favorite team sucks and the fans are whining and moaning over social media about the players and management. You even have the same stuff with YouTubers/Twitter accounts that push narratives to get folks triggered. Only difference really is when fans heckle a player, it’s treated as another day while the actors generally play the victim card.

I think both sides of the fandom are just super dramatic and are just quick to bite and get worked up and get defensive when an opinions differs from theirs. One side uses the same buzzwords everytime like neck beards, incels, toxic, etc. While the other size uses woke, shills, fanboys, etc.

This is a weekly series so if the quality of content is mid, it becomes like this thread where there’s only about 4 posts of actual plot points, in barely one page, and the rest are just folks worried about why strangers hate and dislike the show. Both sides live rent free in each others minds 24/7.

But when you sit back and look at it, this fandom isn’t really any different than when your favorite team sucks and the fans are whining and moaning over social media about the players and management. You even have the same stuff with YouTubers/Twitter accounts that push narratives to get folks triggered. Only difference really is when fans heckle a player, it’s treated as another day while the actors generally play the victim card.

This is kinda why I'm not in this thread a whole lot haha.

dland24 dland24 and M Mark Antony basically hit it on the head for me. Nobody seems to be able to just let things play out any more without spraying hot takes everywhere the second an episode finishes.

dland24 dland24 and M Mark Antony basically hit it on the head for me. Nobody seems to be able to just let things play out any more without spraying hot takes everywhere the second an episode finishes.
100% this!

I never realized that this was a thing till I started noticing it on other shows... an episode would end with several question and then ppl would be complaining on how that episode "sucked" cuz there were so many questions and zero answers (when it was at, like, the 4th episode of the season). Meanwhile, I'm like "is this first time you're watching a serialized show? Have some damn patience and let it all unfold!" 🤦‍♂️ I really don't understand the demand to know all the details and the entire plot after a few episodes.

I just want season 2 of Andor already. All other star wars shows are kinda trash in comparison.

Exactly. No fanbase was as low as GoT fans after the OG show finale but they bounced back because HotD brought back quality writing. Nobody ever said to “let it play out” once last season. It was enjoyable discussions after every episode. It’s ok to like and enjoy this Acolyte show but no need to go defending so hard when there’s valid criticism.

The vitriol people have is justified in my opinion. The Star Wars galaxy is very arguably the best blank template there is and to not capitalize on it, to have subpar releases, or worse yet to muddy the greatness of the template itself is as blasphemous as it gets.

It’d be like putting prime Jordan with a bunch of college players to compete against NBA teams. Or, making him wear high heels to play. It would hurt the soul to see that talent wasted.

I think what really hurts is that both major financial aspects can be covered.

-Fun Star Wars for kids
-Serious Star Wars for adults

If we let HBO have Star Wars and said okay we’re going to start from scratch and the only thing that has been cannon and truly happened is that Anakin was born became Vader and him and Emperor were eventually overcome by the forces of good that’d be the reset button it needs.

HBO could have a bunch of Shows:
-Old Republic ending in the penultimate Light Side vs Dark Side huge war
-Darth Bane and the rule of 2 transition from that^ and how the Sith hid in the shadows for a 1,000 generations to become Palatine eventually
-Young Palpatine ascension
-Yodas ascension
-etc etc
Theres so many ways to make it into something truly amazing.
You shoot it similar to GoT with some Andor type story building + a lot more Jedi involvement. Keep the force power usage consistent so there’s some actual awe vs jedi and sith being wildly overpowered and underpowered randomly.

And Disney could run with kid versions more akin to Clone Wars and Bad Batch to populate the same timeline from start to finish.

but hating it because theres no white men in the show isnt a valid criticism

To be honest, I’ve never once heard this phrase actually said by someone not clearly trolling and giving honest criticism.

And The Mandalorian, Ahsoka, and shows all had similar diverse casts that were no different than The Acolyte. Where was this level of sexism there? So like I said earlier, people just pick and choose things to be extreme about to blow out of proportion. Fans have given the trolls way too much weight in their words.

there are definitely a lot of trolling but its also showing the color of some of these star wars fans, its some legit twitter accounts on twitter but ive only seen it in passing because i truly do not intend to waste my time reading those in depth and i like the show and im enjoying it and i dont have time to surround myself with these troll reviewers so ive actually only heard mostly great things from hour of r, midnight boys, children of the watch, etc…

and cast-wise, those are different from the acolyte and thats why the trolls are hanging on to it especially on twitter and its easier said than done to simply ignore those, its everywhere and like it or not, its affecting the show, not my enjoyment but it can affect a second season

like mandalorian got plenty of white dudes and a maga chick and ahsoka does have anakin and baylan but even that got criticized heavy too because ahsoka is mainly a chick

and then they got triggered with the acolyte and the main being a black woman, let alone two surrounded by a diverse cast

but back to your comments, you know full fell those are trolls doing those criticism but then why defned them by saying we are quick to call them incels and neckbeards? and from this thread, those are really the only ones i see people getting called out… no one has really said “this guys is in incel because my view is different from your *valid criticism*”

maybe elsewhere its like that but again i mainly focus on the pods i listen to and nt

i dont know, if theyre trolls i just feel justified calling them idiots but if its a valid criticism of the show or the lore, im a casual fan and would actually entertain it so i can expand my knowledge and thats also why i am liking this sith/witches/jedi is evil pov

but thats pretty much all the energy i got for this, i havent even watches the boys season premiere yet, great boxing tonight and its already hotd tomorrow… just enjoying all the content

There’s a phenomenon that happens where if something gets too much praise, there’s a strong opposite reaction. Or vice versa. Diversity is great but not when it compromises the story. And that’s a problem that Disney has with their Star Wars and Marvel content. The story should always be paramount.

Andor and Mandalorian are diverse shows. But they are well written for the most part. There is attention and care paid to the lore. It isn’t diversity for diversity’s sake. It’s a great story and it happens to have a diverse cast. Ahsoka is another diverse show, strong female lead. Not as good as Andor and Mando but definitely better than what we’ve seen so far from Acolyte.

It could be that Acolyte finishes the season strong. Even terrible series have a great episode or two. But so far this looks like utter ****. These characters are not interesting, I normally am a sucker for flashback episodes but I couldn’t get into this latest episode. It was goofy. It reminded me of the goofy kid scenes from the Obi Wan show. The story, the lore is first and foremost. Then you can get into the identity politics.

in some cases, i feel thats blatant but this time i dont know, the story seems to be about witches that connect to the night sisters which connects to the great mother from ahsoka and how that connects to the sith?

witches = women and they just happen to cast someone black?

we’ll have to wait to see if any of that comes to fruition but it makes sense to me and ive bashed marvel series if its bad so ill definitely point it out here too if none of it makes sense in the end

also, im not familiar with immaculate conception in star wars other than thats what anakin is but many seems mad that he isnt as special anymore?

i liked the last episode, its not perfect and the twin kids acting was kinda terrible and the singing/chant was eh but its not on obi wan and boba fett bad…

but again, maybe being a casual and naive is playing to my advantage :lol:

Been trying to think of why this show feels off to me and I’m still trying to figure it out…the writing itself feels fine IMO. I don’t mind the witches, I dont mind the conception of the twins, the Jedi being idiots is standard behavior which also makes sense, so to me the writing is there…the acting is there too…the more i think about it, it’s probably more on the production/direction of this show.

This expensive *** show just looks and feels like a CW show IMO. To compare (thanks to Google), House of the Dragon has an estimated $20m budget per episode and Acolyte has $22/m per episode. But this feels wildly off to me.

Also - If a Jedi Knight is offed by an assassin, why havent we seen Master Yoda yet? Maybe consult with one of the GOAT Jedi’s? He’s still 800 years young

I finally watched the episode and I had no issues with it. Sure they supposedly change the lore regarding the light and dark side, but geez, are people really this sensitive/offended by one episode that they needed to create content on how much the SW franchise has been ruined by Disney?

I finally watched the episode and I had no issues with it. Sure they supposedly change the lore regarding the light and dark side, but geez, are people really this sensitive/offended by one episode that they needed to create content on how much the SW franchise has been ruined by Disney?

Only thing I was offended by was the twins' acting. :lol:

I hate how under a microscope tv shows are today. It should be alright for something to be only okay. Not everything is going to be a game changing, life altering experience.

What's funny is I remember people screaming at the top of their lungs how George Lucas killed Star Wars when he made the prequels. Some things never change.

I've liked and disliked some of the new Star Wars. So far I'd say the new show is mid at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom