|| LocK Dis Up ||

How Many Games Do You Project The Lakers Will Win This Season?

• 15-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-25

• 26-30

• 31-35

• 36-40

• 41-45

• 46-50

• 51-55

• 56-73

• They Will Break the NBA Record with 74+ Wins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wut

I mean there's plenty reasons why it could happen which have already been outlined. Might not work out that way but it makes perfect sense that it could.

What reason do you have to believe that it won't happen?
- he has never been a head coach, of any program, anywhere, ever; this means that he has never failed, but to answer your direct question: it also means he has never succeeded

- "You never know. Maybe" is NOT a reason to assume anything, either way. I'm not religious. I have no faith. I 'believe' in what I see, which isn't belief. If I haven't seen it, I don't assume greatness because I haven't seen failure. I assume that I haven't seen anything, so there's no reason to be depressed or excited. And that's where I'm at with Luke.

Knowing that there are other coaches that have actually built programs and had some semblance of success while we hired someone for his first HC job... ever... is unsettling.

Last edited:
Also I can't find it now but I read a blurb the other day pointing out that the VAST majority of championships over the past couple decades were won by coaches in their first NBA head coaching gigs. Like 80% type figures. The ones that weren't were basically Phil Jackson going back for seconds.

Last edited:
Byron isn't present, so that's an extra four or five wins automatically.

And no Kobe.. Who while he had a handful of great games... Had plenty really really awful games that cost wins. For better at least for the tank at least.

That's a few wins as well. If you just replace him with an okay SF who is a neutral defender.

Last edited:
Thoughts on Steve kerr?
I have a feeling I know where this is going to go, but I'll wait and see and just answer your question.

My thoughts on Kerr? He's a championship head coach and currently making an attempt for his program to repeat.

A program that he didn't create from scratch but altered during his first head coaching gig, with no prior coaching experience whatsoever and....with the help of luke Walton?

Also I can't find it now but I read a blurb the other day pointing out that the VAST majority of championships over the past couple decades were won by coaches in their first NBA head coaching gigs. Like 80% type figures. The ones that weren't were basically Phil Jackson going back for seconds.
Interesting.

Spo, obviously.

And the previously mentioned Kerr.

Ummm... Mavericks. That was Carlisle, wasn't it? But that wasn't his first go at HC. He was Indy before, no?

Heat, GSW, Dallas... oh, Pop! But, I mean... well, no, if that was his first HC gig, that was his first HC gig, so that certainly counts.

Interesting. Something to think about, definitely.

And like CP mentioned yesterday, the all-hailed PJax got his first start with the Bulls, and our own 80s star Pat Riley got his first crack at HC with that Showtime Lakers squad.

They went 39-4 under Walton..First time coaching in the NBA... Which even as a substitute, you have to make sure they execute, run practices, manage the rotations in-game, etc. It's vastly different than being a substitute teacher, which I have been.

If they lost 10-11 games under Walton, would anybody have been surprised if that's what happened. Regardless of the talent on the team? Because he's a rookie coach.

That at least something to be encouraged about.

A program that he didn't create from scratch but altered during his first head coaching gig, with no prior coaching experience whatsoever and....with the help of luke Walton?
He didn't create it from scratch, true. But he had lots of GM and behind the scenes experience in between being done playing and stepping in to run the GSW.

Luke has had experience... holding clipboards.

They went 39-4 under Walton..First time coaching in the NBA... Which even as a substitute, you have to make sure they execute, run practices, manage the rotations in-game, etc. It's vastly different than being a substitute teacher, which I have been.

If they lost 10-11 games under Walton, would anybody have been surprised if that's what happened. Regardless of the talent on the team? Because he's a rookie coach.

That at least something to be encouraged about.
substitiute teacher =/= teacher

Luke is not 39-4 as a HC.

He is 0-0, because he has created nothing, implemented nothing, and has never truly been a HC.

0-0

That's not knocking him, it's just not giving him undue praise for being a HC when he hasn't.

He has been a substitute teacher for the actual HC of the program he is being credited for 'leading' to 39-4 when he didn't.

I'm saying, he helped create/alter mark Jackson's program that you praise kerr for. His triangle knowledge was instrumental and a reason he got bumped up to lead assistant, he had to earn the opportunity to even be in the position to step in for kerr as a substitute. He's not just some clipboard holder. Kerr had GM experience where he failed miserably, Luke has had actual coaching and player development experience on 3 different levels.

You're really selling him short.

Last edited:
And there's something to be said that Kerr chose Walton over the other veteran assistants. Now, he was a little too laissez-faire at times, but that's his personality.

I'm saying, he helped create/alter mark Jackson's program that you praise kerr for. His triangle knowledge was instrumental and a reason he got bumped up to lead assistant. He's not just some clipboard holder. Kerr had GM experience where he failed miserably, Luke has had actual coaching and player development experience on 3 different levels.

You're really selling him short.
I hope that's the case.

In my defense, I don't praise Kerr for a complete overhaul, because that's not what he did.

The Warriors haven't been TERRIBLE in a really long time. Been at LEAST middle ground for quite some time, and Mark Jackson's Warriors were definitely a problem for opponents, and that's what Kerr walked in on and took them to a championship level. I give him credit for making a great squad into a championship squad and possibly a dynasty, but I don't credit him for taking an absolute garbage squad to contending for back-2-back; he didn't do that.

Being perfectly transparent, I'm probably just too bent on either Ollie or Messina, tbh.

And I hate that we closed up all other interviews after Luke's. 
ohwell.gif

Yeeeeeees that's all we asking for! If after year 2 you don't see major improvement in our team I'll help burn him at the stake with you!
Like I said my preference was Messina. But the complaints I'm hearing about Luke are the exact complaints that were said of Kerr, Phil, & Riley when they first got started.
Give him a chance to implement a culture and grow with the team.

[quote name="KingJaffeJo"]But the complaints I'm hearing about Luke are the exact complaints that were said of Kerr, Phil, & Riley when they first got started.
Give him a chance to implement a culture and grow with the team.[/quote]Lettuce be cereal: we heard those complaints about Kerr, but we weren't complaining about picking up 6-time champion Phil, and only CP heard those complaints about Riley.

(;))

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the 6 time champion Phil. I'm talking about Phil before the titles.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Touché CP prob was the only one around to hear Riley's complaints lol

Mike BresnahanVerified account
‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Walton will not run the triangle offense as the Lakers' coach. It's not the "most appropriate" offense for personnel they have, he said.

:pimp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom