LOCK. GO TO OFFSEASON THREAD, THANKS!

Aside from losing the Clippers hoke opener, we have blown out every team we've faced this year.

:smokin :smokin :smokin

I wonder if there's footage of Curry spraining his left ankle. Personally, I feel this is a cover up and he really re-sprained his right ankle.

Anyway, the Warriors played some great defense tonight. The ball movement was solid and Klay Thompson got hot. AGAIN. I'm at this point where I'm confident that Klay will make any shot he puts up. 

Bogut needs to stay out of foul trouble...If that happens agains the Spurs, Popovich will exploit that and that may lead to a loss.

The Warriors need to end the regular season losing streak to the Spurs this year. It needs to happen.

He landed on Love's foot and tweaked his left ankle.

Didn't look too serious when they showed the replay on CSN.

I wonder if there's footage of Curry spraining his left ankle. Personally, I feel this is a cover up and he really re-sprained his right ankle.

Anyway, the Warriors played some great defense tonight. The ball movement was solid and Klay Thompson got hot. AGAIN. I'm at this point where I'm confident that Klay will make any shot he puts up. 

Bogut needs to stay out of foul trouble...If that happens agains the Spurs, Popovich will exploit that and that may lead to a loss.

The Warriors need to end the regular season losing streak to the Spurs this year. It needs to happen.

they ended that last year in the last reg season game vs spurs

Can't stand Kevin Love. Supposably the best PF is a crying *****
mean.gif
he's far from the best PF in the game.

far from it. 

Nah, I think @Fozzy Badfeet is speaking more toward the fact that the W's haven't won at San Antonio during the regular season in the Tim Duncan era.

Good win tonight.

Not a David Lee fan but he's been balling so far.

he's far from the best PF in the game.

far from it. 
That's why I said supposably. IMO, PF is the only position that doesn't have a super star. Maybe center, but Howard is closer to one than any PF in the league.
Well, supposably isn't a word.....so I could see offbad's confusion.
wink.gif
:lol:

but lettuce be cereal, kevin love is not the best PF in the game today. he's an enhanced david lee. 

Well, supposably isn't a word.....so I could see offbad's confusion. :wink:
Really? Haven't been getting much sleep lately, but I always thought it was. Webster dictionary has it online :\; I'm going to stop while I'm behind and try to fall asleep...

supposedly, FML

Last edited:
The Warriors are a defensive juggernaut

By Ethan Sherwood Strauss | November 7, 2013 11:28:23 AM PST

Andrew Bogut and Andre Iguodala anchor Golden State's improbable second-ranked defense.

Go ahead, laugh at the headline. It sounds ridiculous on its face, given that the last time Golden State finished better than 10th in defensive rating was 35 seasons ago. One could argue that Jimmy Carter's presidency bookmarks the latest instance of a "good" Warriors defense.

Maybe it's not the past that makes you laugh. Maybe it's that All-Star David Lee and superstar Stephen Curry have suffered noted defensive struggles. Maybe it's that the Warriors recently played a hyped, nationally-televised game wherein the Clippers scored 126 points.

It all hides what's probably the greatest collection of defensive talent out West. Through five games, the Warriors rank behind only Indiana in defensive efficiency. Their rating would probably be better were it not for a slew of comically sloppy turnovers that became Blake Griffin dunks last Thursday. It's just five games, yes. But don't be shocked if this trend holds over the entire 82-game slate.

It starts with Andre Iguodala and Andrew Bogut, both elite defensive players at their respective positions. Building a bad defense that involves Bogut and Iguodala would probably take more effort than building a good one. So long as both are healthy, the Warriors defense should be healthy.

Iguodala shores up the exterior and Bogut protects the rim. The shooting guard works in the shadows and margins of the Warriors' perimeter D. A fan might not notice how he's shading an offensive player a certain direction, or how he's swiveling through a screen. Defense is a percentage battle, and Iguodala is looking to play the probabilities over time. Over the course of 40-plus minutes, process trumps results for him. Such efforts rarely get widespread praise, but they do result in team success. The last time an Iguodala squad performed better on defense with Iguodala off the court was 2006-07.

In contrast to Iguodala's style, Bogut is a pronounced defensive presence. Your eye is drawn to the rim, where the Golden State center often blows up the play with no regard for human foul trouble. He's a confrontational defender, occasionally prone to latching one mitt on a driving player as the other hand chops at the ball like an overhead smash. Bogut is healthy again (for now), looking svelte compared to last season, and frankly, appearing like the dominating defender Milwaukee never would have traded back in 2010.

Klay Thompson mirrors some of Bogut's aggression in the perimeter setting. Though he sometimes suffers lapses in concentration off the ball, he's a physical, dogged man-to-man defender. Both he and Iguodala can guard anybody from point guards to small forwards. Their skill and versatility spares Curry a lot of tough matchups and a lot of foul trouble.

Marresse Speights aside, the bench is stacked with plus defensive players. It's nearly the only thing Jermaine O'Neal can do well at this juncture of his career. Defensively, Harrison Barnes looks like the next Iguodala, only taller. Draymond Green is a large and mobile wing. Toney Douglas gave Stephen Curry fits before finally joining the Warriors. Kent Bazemore is an athletic shooting guard whose wingspan stretches wider than Kevin Love's.

Given the Warriors' embarrassment of defensive riches, defining the team defense by citing the shortcomings of Stephen Curry and David Lee doesn't make a lot of sense. It'd be analogous to defining their thrilling "Splash Brothers" offensive attack by Bogut's hopeful hook shots, or Iguodala's midrange misses.

Also, Lee and Curry's deficiencies are likely mitigated by help from their teammates and time in this particular defensive system. Lee's inability to hedge high on screens used to kill the Keith Smart Warriors. Mark Jackson's system eases the pain by calling on Lee to sink back from screens as Curry chases his man around the obstruction. Neither player is anything special at corralling offensive attackers, but the style shift has delivered results.

The change helped vault Golden State from 27th in defensive efficiency in 2011-12 to 13th last season. This happened largely without an injured Bogut's help and before Andre Iguodala arrived in Oakland.

These are not Don Nelson's Warriors. It's comforting to believe that team cultures have continuity across generations, but times do eventually change -- even for a franchise as stubborn as old Nellie was.

It's a bit confusing because these Warriors are running up and down the court, launching 3s and thrilling fans. You'd assume a devil's bargain where such an offense can't come with a strong defensive foundation. You'd be wrong, though. If the Warriors aren't good defensively this season, it should come as a shock. For once.

ESPN actually showed some Warrior highlights...I'm not talking about 2 clips and the final score :lol:, actual highlights :smokin.

Back
Top Bottom