Lock

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Too bad the Twins don't still have the old turf; Coco would hit .350+. Unfortunately, he would also throw balls into the turf from center and cause all kinds of one and two base errors.
Pretty soon it won't be turf at all
eek.gif
pimp.gif
frown.gif

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/ne...t_id=2313371&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana
click on the video link for the Torri/Garland press conference.
laugh.gif
looks like we'refinally gonna have a tv friendly star on the team
[h3]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/astros-sign-k-1.html[/h3]
[h3]Astros Sign Kaz Matsui[/h3]
Bruce Levine of ESPN 1000 reports had it first: the Astros have signed second baseman Kaz Matsui to a three year deal worth $15-16MM. Ed Wade saved Jim Hendry from himself. Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald and Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle confirm the signing. Richard Justice speculates that the 'Stros could shop Chris Burke now, and maybe even package him with Luke Scott.

Matsui is the early favorite for worst free agent signing of the winter. He is probably not worth half the money, and a three-year commitment for him is insane. Since he joined the Rockies in August of 2006, Matsui hit .256/.305/.370 away from Coors Field.

Not that Matsui is a legitimate starting second baseman, but the signing clearly leaves Tadahito Iguchi as the one free agent starter at the position. That is, unless David Eckstein opts to market himself as a second baseman.

all this talk of Santana has me pretty excited to be a Sox fan, but honestly, I'd rather see him go to an NL team

I dont want to completely turn into the Yankees

Wow at the Astros signing Matsui.
I thought with Craig being gone Burke can finally get a shot at second base.
*sigh
Where are you, Gerry Hunsicker.

WFAN Reporting Milledge traded to Nationals for... Brian Schneider and Ryan Church, since the A's did not want any part of him

If this is %%!!%@+ true.....i swear to god...I would kill Omar myself.

mad.gif

But, it was also reported that....

just caught the tailend of it but they made it sound like Bedard to the Mets is all but a done deal?? They said Bedard is signed for 2 years, but the O's are expressing they don't have confidence in their chances to sign him beyond that and are looking to get something back from the Mets while they can.

All would be forgiven if THAT goes through as well.

Only logic I can think of with that Lastings trade is that Omar has another move up his sleeve w/ a package of Church, Estrada, and a prospect for somepitching (Schneider would be the full time catcher, the defense down the middle improves drastically).

Glad the cubs didnt sign Kaz. we got 9 million middle infielders anyway. maybe they will take care of the MASSIVE OUTFIELD ISSUES.

"WFAN has learned that the New York Mets have traded Lastings Milledge to the Nationals for LF Ryan Church and C Brian Schneider"

MILLEDGE IS A NAT!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i hated him as a mutt basically because he was a mutt, but now that he'll be rocking the curly w my feelings towards him will turn a complete 360. welcometo the district, milledge! manny will get the best out of him, he won't put up with the slacking willie did. lets go lasto!

enjoy the steadily declining schneider met fans. he's one of the worst hitting catchers in the league, and his defense isn't what it use to be.he's probably the only nat i never hype up
laugh.gif

That @%%@ is borderline being on par with the Kazmir trade, just makes no sense. Omar better have something big up his sleeve or I won't forgive him.

A damn STEAL for the Nats...schneider ain't worth a bag of planters peanuts

Reports: Mets deal Milledge for Nats' Church, Schneider
ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 30, 2007, 1:44 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The New York Mets have dealt outfielder Lastings Milledge to the Washington Nationals for catcher Brian Schneider and outfielder Ryan Church, multiple media outlets reported Friday.

The Nationals announced they would hold a news teleconference at 3 p.m. ET to announce a trade.

Milledge, in parts of two seasons with the Mets, has a career .257 batting average (90 for 350) with 40 extra-base hits and 51 runs batted in.

Church, in 144 games last season, hit .272, one point higher than his career average in four seasons with the Expos-Nationals franchise. Last season, he had 128 hits, including 43 doubles -- tied for the team lead with Ryan Zimmerman -- and 15 home runs, and 70 RBIs.

An eight-year veteran, Schneider hit .235 with 21 doubles in 2007. In the field he had 53 assists, six errors and a .992 fielding percentage. He has a career .252 batting average in 757 major league games.

There is a 0 % chance that this trade was done just for the hell of it, the Mets have like 4 catchers right now. Omar most likely has another deal in the worksinvolving those Nat players, perhaps that team did not want to trade with the Nats directly (ie Mets trading w/ Yanks).

Baltimore has always been big on Church for some reason, they tried to get him last season, so who knows.

...and besides, as much as I like Milledge, he's still just a prospect who can't hit anything besides a fastball, so let's not make him out to besome kind of star player.

Bad move for Omar and the Mets, Milledge has always been overrated but you have to believe there would of been better deals out there than this. This GM(Bowden) has been steady robbing ppl over the past few years.

Jayson Stark had the following to say about the Mets acquiring C Brian Schneider and OF Ryan Church for Lastings Milledge:"The Mets have been looking for a defensive-minded catcher who could lead a staff, and Brian Schneider does that as well as anyone. And Ryan Church is a better player than you're giving him credit for. He's better than a fourth outfielder, even though he might be more a 5-day-a-week kind of player than a 7-day -a-week kind of player. And Milledge, frankly, turned out to be overrated. HIs value had plummeted. For a team trying to win in the short term, like the Mets, I totally understand this trade, Now let's sit back and see how good Milledge turns out to be."

Church killed the Mets, so I'm glad that won't happen anymore, but one of the two must be dealt w/ Estrada and a prospect or 2 for somepitching.......otherwise I would be sick to my
stomach.

I disagree with the overrated part however, but his value has certainly plummeted.

LASTINGS IS GONNA BLOSSOM WITH THE NATS, THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!
pimp.gif
manny is one of thebest managers in baseball, he'll def help milledge reach his endless potential.

o ya, talks are heating up between the nats and aj
pimp.gif

my nats making moves!
pimp.gif

NOOOO they could have gotten the world for Lastings 2 years ago.

I liked Milledge, why did they have to trade him??

His value is def overrated as Stark said (I mis-read it wrong, thought he means Lastings as a player was over-rated), but basically....Omar made a last ditcheffort with the A's and they wanted no part of him, so basically nobody even wanted the kid.

I would have just kept him, I mean, he's a 22 yr old kid w/ a fast bat, but I guess Omar wanted to gain some additional assets t be used in anotherpossible trade (plus the Mets organization never liked the kid's attitude).

I don't like Schnider's bat that much, but his strength is in his defense and great game calling, especially with the bullpen arms from what I saw, butthe Nats already have Jesus Flores so they CAN get rid of him. You have to keep in mind that our catcher is basically the # 8 hitter because the Mets have atremendous amount of depth in the lineup, especially on the bench. As for Church, he had a .272 avg with 15 HR and 70RBI, so if he stays with the Mets for anyreason, those are solid numbers for a # 7 or 8 hitter.

I'm upset, but at the same time, I can't sit here and bash Omar when Winter meetings have JUST begun....you have to be patient and see how the rest ofthe off-season unfolds. Pitching is still the priority. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if one of those 2 Nats are not moved.

I don't like Schnider's bat that much,
i would love to reflect on that statement once you realize how bad b.s.'s bat really is.

admit it, bowden fleeced minaya . i can only hope we benefit from this trade as much as the rays did from the kaz trade.
happy.gif

Suposedly the Yankees have signed Mark Lorreta which might mean the Santan deal is close to done with either Betemit or Alberto Gonzales going to Minnesota.

What exactly do you want me to admit, Milledge has NO VALUE. Its not a horrible one sided trade, but its not a great one either, he pretty much got what hecould for that one UNPROVEN player.

And its not like Omar needed a catcher, we have like 3 or 4 right now, so I'm sure there is a diff. deal coming sometime soon. You can't look at onespecific trade and say it was a bad one, you have to look at the whole picture down the line.

Back
Top Bottom