Lock

and just for the record wildkycat, you do jock me in a lot of threads.
laugh.gif
@ you telling someone they "jock" someone else.

This dude Patton is hyped to be sent to Baltimore
roll.gif

Orioles send shortstop Tejada to Houston for 5 players
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 12, 2007, 1:52 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Baltimore Orioles traded shortstop Miguel Tejada to the Houston Astros on Wednesday, ending a turbulent chapter with a player who two years ago wanted to be traded, went into the 2006 season with hugs and apologies for his offseason remarks, and in 2007 saw his production drop dramatically.

The blockbuster trade, first reported by The Baltimore Sun, sends five players to the Orioles -- outfielder Luke Scott, pitchers Matt Albers, Troy Patton and Dennis Sarfate, and third-base prospect Michael Costanzo.

Tejada

"It's true," Patton told the Houston Chronicle. "It's kind of really disappointing, honestly."

Tejada, who signed a six-year, $72 million deal with the Orioles in December 2003 and promised the franchise would no longer be a losing one, saw his home run total decline the past three consecutive seasons, and recently, even his defensive range had come into question. Orioles third base and infield coach Juan Samuel acknowledged to The Sun in September that Tejada "doesn't move real well."

The 2002 AL MVP with Oakland is owed $13 million in each of the next two years.

There was speculation the Orioles would try to move Tejada to third base; Orioles general manager Andy MacPhail met with Tejada at the end of the 2007 season to discuss a possible move, but Tejada told him he wanted to remain at shortstop.

Any chance of the Orioles trading Tejada before the 2007 trade deadline essentially ended when he broke his wrist. He returned to the Orioles' lineup just days before the deadline.

In four seasons with Tejada at shortstop and in the middle of their lineup, the Orioles went 291-357, finishing fourth in the American League East three times and third once.

Tejada played in 619 of the 648 games in four seasons, missing 29 games during the 2007 season. His consecutive games played streak of 1,152, the fifth longest in baseball history, ended June 22 when he went on the disabled list with a fractured left wrist after getting hit by a pitch from San Diego Padres reliever Doug Brocail.

Tejada finished this past season with a .296 average, 18 home runs and 81 RBIs. All were lows as an Oriole. The shortstop's home run and RBI totals were also the lowest since 1999, his first full season in the major leagues.

In 2005, Tejada came under scrutiny after teammate Rafael Palmeiro tested positive for steroids. Palmeiro said Tejada gave him vitamin B-12 that might have been tainted with performance-enhancing drugs. Tejada denied any wrongdoing and his name has not been linked to any wrongdoing.

Tejada would again find his name embroiled in the steroid controversy months later. In October 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that former Orioles reliever Jason Grimsley accused Tejada, second-baseman Brian Roberts and outfielder Jay Gibbons of taking anabolic steroids in a federal affidavit earlier that year.

Tejada emphatically denied the accusation, telling The Sun, "I know that I've never used that, and I know I am clean. I don't worry about anybody who puts me in that stuff. I'll get checked out for anybody, any time, any moment -- whenever they want."

fireworks.jpg

pimp.gif
THANK GOODNESS!!!

Any of those prospects any good?

Seems as though many Astros fans (per their MB) are heated that this deal went through....it's a step (small step) in the right direction for theO's....next up, Bedard and Roberts

poke fun at the nationals all you want right now. you won't be laughing when we are a certified contender this year

You'll def contend for last place thats for sure, at least the Nats are better than the Marlins now.

Only thing the Nats will do is finish behind the Mets, Philly, and Braves because their pitching is still horrific. Only thing they will be good at is beingannoying to the winning teams.

DoubleJs07 wrote:

Seems as though many Astros fans (per their MB) are heated that this deal went through....it's a step (small step) in the right direction for the O's....next up, Bedard and Roberts

J's are the Cubs still talkin with you guys for Roberts? I personally don't think we need to go after him, I liked the guys we had platoonin atsecond.

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants made their first major acquisition of the offseason, signing free-agent center fielder Aaron Rowand to a five-year contract Wednesday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, although the value of Rowand's contract was believed to have approached the five-year, $90 million package that Torii Hunter, another free-agent center fielder, recently received from the Los Angeles Angels.

Aaron Rowand out of the NL East
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

He gave the Mets fits last year. Good luck to him out west, he's a great player.

Those players should've been for Bedard instead of Tejada.

Not saying I don't like the Tejada deal, but he's been declining and 5 for 1 feels like too much.

As we mentioned earlier today, the Indians have spoken to the A's about Dan Haren and Joe Blanton. They've also inquired on Erik Bedard. The Tribe is quietly looking to pair C.C. Sabathia with another ace. Such an acquisition would soften the blow if Sabathia leaves after the '08 season. Hoynes says a Haren acquisition might require one player from the Indians' 25-man roster plus at least one near MLB-ready guy.
Emil Brown cut by the Royals.

Cliff Floyd close to signing with the Rays.

sick.gif
Rowand 5/90 is HORRIBLE.

roll.gif
@ the Astros...The HELL are they doing? Their farm was already terrible, and they traded the only decent prospects they had for a league average 3B andslightly above average SS who has been steadily declining for the last couple of years...And, they did it before the Mitchell Report even came out...
smh.gif
Theywere one of the worst teams in baseball last year, and they're in a 'win-now' mindset...Puzzling.

PLEASE let it only be worth $60 million. Looks like Davis isn't gonna be playing this year...get rid of roberts
mad.gif

Rowand signed for 5/$60
Thank goodness...Rowand at 5/$90 would have been an absolutely horrible deal, especially for a team that isn't even close to being a realthreat for the playoffs...12 mil per makes alot more sense...

Also interesting, apparently the Cubs were the second or third highest bidder for Fukudome's services. The Rangers are reportedly definately the highestbidder, and the Cubs may have been outbid by the WhiteSox too...Fukudome was just intrigued by playing for the Cubs, I guess...

The Rangers signed Japanese reliever Kaz Fukumori...

[table][tr][th=""] [/th] [td]
Boonetang: i don't want to see

it's probably the opening banter from m-e-t-h-o-d man
[/td] [/tr][tr][th=""] [/th] [td]
Boonetang: i do not want to have my **** laid on a dresser and have them ****s banged with a spiked ****in bat
[/td] [/tr][/table]
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Talk about overpaid (at leats its not 5/90, but even 5/60 is a lot).

With the exception of his "breakout" season last year of .309 AVG/27 HR/89 RBI/274 OBP, this guy hasn't hit over 13 home runs (except for 04'also), 2nd and 3rd highest RBI totals are 69 and 47, and hit only above .300 two times. This guy is basically Ryan Church, solid player but belongs at the botof your batting order and should not be paid much.

CP, from what I am reading on the O's MB, there are rumblings that both Bedard and Roberts could and should be gone by next week. Whether the deal to theCubs (Roberts) is still on the table, I don't know. I think that Pie would have to be involved in that deal if it goes through....u gotta love theoffseason!

I am LOVING the trade for Tejada. The O's FO did something that I haven't seen in a long time. They dumped one of their high-priced (and diminishingskilled) veterans and landed 5 prospects.....FIVE PROSPECTS! It may not seem like much, but after all the years of being inept in matters involving playertransactions, they finally seemed to make a move that makes sense.

Tejada Packs His Bags For Houston

By Matt Eddy
December 12, 2007
E-mail Print

The Deal
The Orioles first explored the idea of trading veteran shortstop Miguel Tejada in the 2005 offseason-after he'd requested a trade through the media-but ultimately resisted strong overtures by the Angels, among other teams. They finally pulled the trigger Dec. 12, sending him to the Astros for five players: righthanders Matt Albers and Dennis Sarfate, lefthander Troy Patton, third baseman Mike Costanzo and outfielder Luke Scott.
The Big Leaguers
Tejada, who turns 32 next May, hit .296/.357/.442 with 18 home runs for the Orioles in 2007, his least productive year of his four in Baltimore. Though still capable, Tejada's offensive and defensive value has declined steadily each year since signing his six-year, $72 million deal for the 2004 season. In fact, he's now widely viewed as a third baseman in waiting, though the Astros are indicating they'll keep him at short. Signed by the Athletics out of the Dominican Republic in 1993, Tejada has batted .287/.344/.477 with 258 homers and 1,033 RBIs in 11 big league seasons. He won the 2002 AL MVP award for hitting .308/.354/.508 with 34 home runs and 131 RBIs for the AL West-winning A's. Tejada is owed $13 million in each of the final two years of his deal.

Albers, 25, has No. 3 starter potential but has failed to put all the pieces together thus far, perhaps because of a lack of focus and tough-to-repeat mechanics. At his best, he works consistently at 93-94 mph with his two-seam fastball and touches 97 with his four-seamer. Albers shows fair to good command of a hard curveball and changeup. A draft-and-follow from San Jacinto (Texas) JC in 2001, Albers won Double-A Texas League pitcher of the year honors in 2006, going 10-2, 2.17 in 116 innings. He struggled in an extended big league trial last season, going just 4-11, 5.86 with 71-50 K-BB in 111 innings.

Scott, 29, has performed well in two seasons as a part-timer for the Astros, and the lefthanded hitter owns a .276/.364/.534 career line against big league righthanders. A ninth-round pick of the Indians from Oklahoma State in 2001, Scott batted .255/.351/.504 with 18 home runs and 64 RBIs in 369 at-bats in 2007. The Indians traded him to the Astros for lefty Jeriome Robertson in spring training 2004. Scott doesn't offer much in the way of defense, speed or arm strength, but he hits for power to all fields and commands the strike zone. He's a career .273/.366/.516 hitter in 231 games.
The Prospects
Patton, 22, shows exceptional poise and command of three pitches, making him a safe bet to achieve No. 3 starter status. A ninth-round pick from a Texas high school in 2004, Patton's two-seam fastball ranges from 88-92 mph and he commands it to both sides of the plate. He employs a hard slider and changeup as secondary pitches. Though Patton has missed time with shoulder trouble in each of the past three seasons, he'll be ready for spring training. He went 10-8, 3.51 with 94-44 K-BB in 151 innings at Double-A Corpus Christi and Triple-A Round Rock in 2007, and closed the year with three big league appearances.

Costanzo, 24, joins his third team this offseason, having been traded from the Phillies to the Astros in November. He finished runner-up in the Double-A Eastern League's home run race with 27, employing a big, pull-happy swing that contributed to an EL-leading 157 strikeouts. Costanzo will take his walks, though, and he batted .270/.368/.490 for Reading. As he had in 2006, Costanzo heated up in August this year, batting .364/.445/.607 for the month. Some scouts believe Costanzo, a second-round pick form Coastal Carolina in 2005, is a first baseman in waiting.

Sarfate, 27, consistently throws in the 93-96 mph range but has little success to show for his velocity. He signed with the Brewers after they drafted him in the ninth round of the 2001 draft from Chandler-Gilbert (Ariz.) CC, but made his way to the Astros in September 2007 in a cash transaction. Sarfate moved to the bullpen during the 2006 season, but the same fastball and curveball command issues have plagued him whether in the rotation or bullpen. He doesn't use his changeup in relief. Sarfate went 2-7, 4.52 with 68-47 K-BB in 62 innings for Triple-A Nashville in 2007.
Quick Take
Houston's reconfigured offense stands to outperform last year's edition with the additions of Tejada, second baseman Kazuo Matsui (free agent) and center fielder Michael Bourn (trade)-not to mention full years from right fielder Hunter Pence and catcher J.R. Towles. Coupled with first baseman Lance Berkman, one of the league's best hitters, and left fielder Carlos Lee, one of its most consistent, Tejada gives the Astros three veteran hitters to battle for supremacy in the wide-open NL Central.

While the Orioles didn't get a frontline prospect in exchange for the final two years of Tejada's deal, they did add rotation depth, with upside, in the form of Albers and Patton-not to mention an accomplished power bat in Scott.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/news/265341.html

At least Giants management made one good decision today...
Sabean Takes Lincecum/Cain Off The Table
The Aaron Rowand signing has led Brian Sabean to pull his young starters off the market (to the extent that they were ever available). Specifically, the idea of an Alex Rios for Tim Lincecum swap is dead.

The Giants are still looking for help at the infield corners and in the 'pen. It's hard to figure out what Sabean is doing - is he trying to win in 2008?
I hope this doesn't mean Sabean thinks he's found a guy to be the cornerstone of his offensive overload, though. Rowand is good, buthe's not great.

DoubleJs...A Luke Scott, Nick Markakis, Felix Pie OF would be
pimp.gif
...If they could land sayHomer Bailey, Joey Votto and another pitching prospect from the Reds for Bedard, they'd be right back on track...

Thanks for the info J's. What I don't get is why wouldn't we got after BOTH Bedard and Roberts. Especially if the Reds are trying to land Bedard,would be nice to block them from getting a good arm. In fact if I had my choice I'd rather have Bedard then Roberts. I can live with letting go Pie, butI heard Marshall's name and even (gulp) Hill's name mentioned. That I'm not cool with.

Back
Top Bottom