Looking to buy a Nissan 240sx s13 or s14 any advice NT? Vol. School me

Title pretty much sums it up. I recently caught a liking to these cars and I'm very close to purchasing a 1990 S13 or mabey even a S14 in the near future. I'm a little new to these cars so I really don't know much about them but I have the time and will to learn. What should I look into when purchasing a car like this? What aftermarket parts should I have my eyes on? and what are your guy's opinion/experiences on welded differentials? Any advice is appreciated and once again thanks nt!

Title pretty much sums it up. I recently caught a liking to these cars and I'm very close to purchasing a 1990 S13 or mabey even a S14 in the near future. I'm a little new to these cars so I really don't know much about them but I have the time and will to learn. What should I look into when purchasing a car like this? What aftermarket parts should I have my eyes on? and what are your guy's opinion/experiences on welded differentials? Any advice is appreciated and once again thanks nt!

Originally Posted by BabyMJ

Sr20 and wheels and Coilovers. Done

Your main focus right now OP should be purchasing a quality 240sx. Easier said than done. If you're not mechanically inclined I highly recommend you have a mechanic look it over. Electrical, Mechanical, Suspension, Body etc. Carfax it, but know that it doesn't always tell you the big pictures. My 240sx for example was in an accident and the carfax shows it as clean. Have a Leakdown and Vacuum test done on the car. Any competent technician will be able to do this for you. It might seem like a hassle taking it somewhere to be inspected but it can save you thousands of dollars and many headaches.

I can't stress that enough, have someone completely look it over. I'd also avoid purchasing one that's already been heavily modded. It might seem fast and like everything is in working order but many people take shortcuts. Many sell their cars because it keep giving them problems and will understate these to you when you go to check it out. Im assuming you want a 5sp I highly recommend getting one out the door instead of getting an automatic. Just remember to take your time and don't get gassed off the first one you check out. Try and talk the owner down too if you feel the price is too high or if you find faults that weren't mentioned.

Your main focus right now OP should be purchasing a quality 240sx. Easier said than done. If you're not mechanically inclined I highly recommend you have a mechanic look it over. Electrical, Mechanical, Suspension, Body etc. Carfax it, but know that it doesn't always tell you the big pictures. My 240sx for example was in an accident and the carfax shows it as clean. Have a Leakdown and Vacuum test done on the car. Any competent technician will be able to do this for you. It might seem like a hassle taking it somewhere to be inspected but it can save you thousands of dollars and many headaches.

I can't stress that enough, have someone completely look it over. I'd also avoid purchasing one that's already been heavily modded. It might seem fast and like everything is in working order but many people take shortcuts. Many sell their cars because it keep giving them problems and will understate these to you when you go to check it out. Im assuming you want a 5sp I highly recommend getting one out the door instead of getting an automatic. Just remember to take your time and don't get gassed off the first one you check out. Try and talk the owner down too if you feel the price is too high or if you find faults that weren't mentioned.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

^ that.  stock is usually better.  but there are some built cars that are worth buying.  i bought a 91 supra heavily modified, it was from the original owner with papers for every mod done.  2 years later the only problems ive had were caused by me.

but anyway, this is the wrong forum to be asking about cars... check out zilvia.net

^ that.  stock is usually better.  but there are some built cars that are worth buying.  i bought a 91 supra heavily modified, it was from the original owner with papers for every mod done.  2 years later the only problems ive had were caused by me.

but anyway, this is the wrong forum to be asking about cars... check out zilvia.net

I had a 1990 240sx. Best car I ever owned. 
pimp.gif
  That thing never let me down. I think it had over 200,000 miles when I finally got rid of it and it was still running perfect, just finally had the money to get something newer. Wish I would have kept it 
mad.gif

I had a 1990 240sx. Best car I ever owned. 
pimp.gif
  That thing never let me down. I think it had over 200,000 miles when I finally got rid of it and it was still running perfect, just finally had the money to get something newer. Wish I would have kept it 
mad.gif

Originally Posted by solardrgn

Both of these guys know. Just go ahead and purchase a non-modded S14 and build it yourself. Let's say you blow 10k on a modded 240, the car could haul !!+ and what not, but later on you start getting random leakage(s), random sounds, and little things that are gonna cost you a ton of money to fix, because of the age of these cars. So get one that's well maintained, and not by how sick the car looks. There's usually something wrong with them.

Just get an SR20 in it and run about 12-14psi and you got yourself a fun car to drive.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by solardrgn

Both of these guys know. Just go ahead and purchase a non-modded S14 and build it yourself. Let's say you blow 10k on a modded 240, the car could haul !!+ and what not, but later on you start getting random leakage(s), random sounds, and little things that are gonna cost you a ton of money to fix, because of the age of these cars. So get one that's well maintained, and not by how sick the car looks. There's usually something wrong with them.

Just get an SR20 in it and run about 12-14psi and you got yourself a fun car to drive.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

For 4.5k this is very tempting

4695445902_0cab8a727c_z.jpg

4695445860_6fb84cf9f5_z.jpg

But 203,xxx miles
sick.gif
unless ur not tryna daily it.

Meh im more interested in seeing the condition of the engine and suspension.  If its been redone and the body doesnt have rust I wouldnt have any real worries.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

For 4.5k this is very tempting

4695445902_0cab8a727c_z.jpg

4695445860_6fb84cf9f5_z.jpg

But 203,xxx miles
sick.gif
unless ur not tryna daily it.

Meh im more interested in seeing the condition of the engine and suspension.  If its been redone and the body doesnt have rust I wouldnt have any real worries.

Get a cheaper 240sx that is in good shape interior/exterior wise. Can usually find them with rims/coilovers/mods done to them. Then swap the engine for an SR20DETT. Won't have to worry about how many miles the original engine had, and it would be a beast. I have 2 friends that did that with theirs, and they have had nothing but a great car. Good luck finding one though, they are hard to come by nowadays.

If I got one, I'd get an S15 conversion on it. Looks so nice.

Back
Top Bottom