Magic Johnson's son goes public with boyfriend

Expectations and mathematical probability are two different things. If I had to wager, yes I would bet that he was straight due to only 4% of the population being gay. Do I expect him to be straight? No, I have no expectations and my son won't have to worry about my expectations of him.
If result A has a higher probability of happening than result B, then you are EXPECTING result A to happen whether you admit it or not.

I did not say that.

I said people who seek attention annoy me.

Flamboyance =\= Sexual preference

Stop over simplifying the matter
You still didn't answer the question.  Would YOU (Sir Charles) be happy if your son dressed in women's clothing??  A YES or NO reply will suffice.
Having a sexual preference is not wrong, dropping out of school is
It's not merely about dropping out of school though.  It's about your son being HAPPY.  If your son is happy with dropping out of school, and you said earlier that your son being happy is what makes YOU happy, why wouldn't you (Sir Charles) be happy that your son is happy by dropping out of school??  Isn't it all about being happy??

So Lobo and SirCharles, what is "acceptable" for a parent to not initially be happy about when they are given news from their kids? Since we feel the need to label initial emotions as right/wrong.

I definitely believe it. But being gay isn't handicapping his position in the world.

Having a sexual preference is not wrong, dropping out of school is

I wish that were true, but sadly it isn't.

In the terms I was using; Education levels under high school graduates, or being gay.

One is required to know for most positions in life, the latter can be a little more flexible.

If result A has a higher probability of happening than result B, then you are EXPECTING result A to happen whether you admit it or not.

My man, we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. No harm in that. Like I said, using math to guess is different than having an expectation. The word "expectation" implies more than "mathematical probability." One is emotional, one isn't. Being shocked that your son is gay due to the mathematical improbability is different than being shocked about him being gay.

So Lobo and SirCharles, what is "acceptable" for a parent to not initially be happy about when they are given news from their kids? Since we feel the need to label initial emotions as right/wrong.

Things that affect the child adversely. Homosexuality isn't one of them.

That would be a list too long and complicated.

This is a subject where it's agree or not. And you don't.

That probably won't change,

So being a minority of any kind can't (hell probably) won't affect the child in a negative manner?

But it's one they have no control over, DC. I can't be disappointed in them for that. I'd be sad for the difficulties they would inevitably encounter. I can't be disappointed that their sexual orientation is different than mine.

hell have you guys been talking about for 43 pages?

first reply was ROUGH :x

"Hans" Solo :lol:

With Ninjahood's departure, it's actually been a pretty good discussion. If nothing else, I've learned more about the differences in parenting styles.

^ But we honestly haven't spoken of parenting STYLES. All we have discussed were inner emotions upon receiving the news that your son was gay. Nothing further Lobo.

You still didn't answer the question.  Would YOU (Sir Charles) be happy if your son dressed in women's clothing??  A YES or NO reply will suffice.

It's not merely about dropping out of school though.  It's about your son being HAPPY.  If your son is happy with dropping out of school, and you said earlier that your son being happy is what makes YOU happy, why wouldn't you (Sir Charles) be happy that your son is happy by dropping out of school??  Isn't it all about being happy??
This.

Some NTers are going to be amazing parents. Might as well have the name "Hans solo " on reserve for your future child. 
mean.gif

You're supposed to be their Parent, not their "Friend".
Exactly, and that's the point.  As a parent, you should (key word SHOULD) already have a thought process or a set of ideas on what as a parent would make you happy independent from what your son or child has from what makes them happy.  From some of the statements in here, some people are or would more or less just go with the flow of whatever versus being a parent. 

I thought my answer of being annoyed with people who seek attention would provide an answer for you. If it didn't, then I will tell you now. No, I would not be happy if my son dressed in women's clothing. Because people who act in ways that beg for attention annoys me, period. Son or not. 

There are certain things that you have to fix, and certain things that you shouldn't get upset about. It's not all about being happy.

If my son decides to drop out of school he is going to end up homeless, that is a huge set back in his life, and mine since he will probably be in my home until I die. Begging for attention by dressing like a woman would not make me happy because it would annoy the crap out of me. Now if my son told me he was gay, and happy with his life I would be happy with his choice. End of story.

You are over simplifying what I am telling you, you are arguing just to argue. 

Cut it out.

^ But we honestly haven't spoken of parenting STYLES. All we have discussed were inner emotions upon receiving the news that your son was gay. Nothing further Lobo.
Well, if we go into my field. There are three.

Authoritarian - Strong, rules only parenting

Authoritative - Sets rules, and can explain why they are there

Permisive - No rules, go with the flow.

It's not a contradiction, there are certain things that are about it, and there are a lot of things that are irrelevant.^^
Since when was gay men dressing like women "begging for attention"?
Often, in my opinion, when one dresses in a flashy out of the norm way it is going to be for attention. 

If we look at individuals, then that is not always that case. But, who has the time to ask "hey are you doing that for attention or do you really like that?"

If you catch the drift

hell have you guys been talking about for 43 pages?

first reply was ROUGH :x

"Hans" Solo :lol:

With Ninjahood's departure, it's actually been a pretty good discussion. If nothing else, I've learned more about the differences in parenting styles.

I was wondering why he wasn't on the last few pages making spectacular analogies.

This surfaced a few weeks ago and is utterly brilliant. More dads should be like this guy. Bravo to this man.

View media item 347564
How cool is that?

You'll notice http://niketalk.comhttps://niketalk.com/members/85529"weird" or sinful or immoral would be more willing to accept a child that does not follow the general concept of heteronormativity. it's not always about hating whoever for whatever they do, as I'm sure some of the people objecting to their son being gay don't actively hate gay people.

I can fully see them not wanting their son to be gay for their own protection. while in a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about it, we don't live in a perfect world. I would RATHER my son not be gay because of the ridicule and possible physical harm he may receive. the fact that my name (possibly) would not be carried on.

even though it's a hot topic (I don't know if it's made it's way through this thread already), I feel like race has a lot to do with whether or not you're more willing to accept your son being a homosexual.

ALSO I know this thread itself is about a male, but I find it funny that when a conversation on gay people comes up on here it's always about a male and nobody ever touches on how they would feel about their daughter coming out as a lesbian.

Maybe 'styles' isn't the right word. I've learned that some parent's happiness would be adversely affected by their child's happiness.

Last edited:
Don't see the correlation between your son telling you he is gay and your son telling you he drops out of school

Sexual preference is definitely less important than education

Back
Top Bottom