Magic Johnson's son goes public with boyfriend

There isn't a straight male on earth wishing their son was gay but you can still be accepting and not turn your back on you own kid

Why SHOULD he be happy about it though?

Should is implying that is the "right" thing.

Implying that what is the right thing? Being gay or being happy about their son being gay?

If being gay is the right thing for my son in his mind then so be it. If you have children you realize that it's not about you anymore. If' he's happy then I'm happy for him.

Would I want my son to be gay? Not at all

Would I be happy if he was gay? Yes, why? Same reason I'd be happy if he was straight which is that he is happy with whomever he's with.

Sounds simple to me

Lobo,

You seemed to miss my point.

I dismissed the fact that he was gay.

I said that no father would be PROUD/HAPPY of their son looking/acting like that.

Now Magic says he is happy, but I don't think the word happy is accurate. A father can tolerate. A father can accept.

But I don't see any father being HAPPY with their son turning out like THAT. (IGNORE THE GAY part. Focus on the presentation).

Oh, my point wasn't just in regards to your question, DC. Sorry about that. I'm sure Magic probably thinks his son is over the top. I know you said ignore the gay part, but you seem to be the only one in this thread that does that.

Last edited:
Oh, my point wasn't just in regards to your question, DC. Sorry about that. I'm sure Magic probably thinks his son is over the top. I know you said ignore the gay part, but you seem to be the only one in this thread that does that.
:lol: Yea I was never focused on his son being GAY.

I was saying that his son acting like a got damn "diva" is embarrassing. :lol:

Do most men want their son to be gay? Probably not.

Should he be happy about it? Yes.
Why should a father be HAPPY (key word being happy) that his son is gay??  Serious question.  Also, nobody really answered or addressed DC's question at the base about having their son dress in that manner.  Nevermind being loud or anything of the sort, just having their son dress like a girl/woman.

Simply put, what man WANTS their son to be gay?

This question is so foreign to me. Like I'm struggling to even put myself in the situation to be disappointed in my son or daughter for something they have no control of. I have no preference because essentially it's not about ME. I wouldn't be disappointed in my son if he told me he was gay. I'd be proud of him for having the strength to tell me and to pursue what makes him happy. It's hard to be gay and to be frowned upon and to be viewed as lower class citizen. It takes courage and strength. He'd be way more of a man than the most brolic heterosexual.

As a father all you can ask for is that your children are happy and healthy. Their sexual orientation should be way down on your list of things to care about.

Why should a father be HAPPY (key word being happy) that his son is gay??  Serious question.  Also, nobody really answered or addressed DC's question at the base about having their son dress in that manner.  Nevermind being loud or anything of the sort, just having their son dress like a girl/woman.

Go back and read. It says that loud people are annoying in themselves, so being around a loud person would annoy me. Family, or not.

You should find happiness in your son's happiness. If my son found a happier lifestyle, I'll have positive emotions towards it.

Man your initial reaction to your son telling you he is gay is NOT gonna be like "hell yeah! Lets have a party"

Go back and read. It says that loud people are annoying in themselves, so being around a loud person would annoy me. Family, or not.
One more time.............

Nevermind being loud or anything of the sort, just having their son dress like a girl/woman.

You should find happiness in your son's happiness. If my son found a happier lifestyle, I'll have positive emotions towards it.

Man your initial reaction to your son telling you he is gay is NOT gonna be like "hell yeah! Lets have a party"

Exaggeration, and wrong emotion. That would be excitement.

Happiness however, I would feel.

Why shouldn't I be happy that my son is happy? Isn't the point of fatherhood to provide a good life for your children and make sure they are happy?

One more time.............

Nevermind being loud or anything of the sort, just having their son dress like a girl/woman.

That is my fault, I forgot that loud means gay now. By loud I thought you meant flamboyant.

So I'll edit that: Flamboyant people tend to be annoying in themselves, so being around a flamboyant person would annoy me. Same goes with most other attention grabbers.

What makes you think a gay kid is happy that he is gay? You see it all the time, when the most homophobic people are actually sexually confused on the inside, and take it out on others. Hence, the reason why i call it a mental disorder. It causes alot of people who are sexually confused, mental distress, which can also lead suicidal ideation.

You again? For ****'s sake.

Why shouldn't I be happy that my son is happy? Isn't the point of fatherhood to provide a good life for your children and make sure they are happy?

Right so you'd also be happy if your 16 year old daughter came to you excited she just found out she was pregnant?

What makes you think a gay kid is happy that he is gay? You see it all the time, when the most homophobic people are actually sexually confused on the inside, and take it out on others. Hence, the reason why i call it a mental disorder. It causes alot of people who are sexually confused, mental distress, which can also lead suicidal ideation.

And who are you to provide these statistics? Did you make the census for homophobic people in the world?

Sexual confusion =\= every gay person

You have to look at individuals before making such a large generalization

Who cares. Live your life and let others live theirs. Also this made me have more respect for Magic, supporting his son like that. Props to him.

Right so you'd also be happy if your 16 year old daughter came to you excited she just found out she was pregnant?

#NTExtremes

What does a pregnant daughter have to do with a gay son?

Of I found out my son had a happier lifestyle that fit him, happy. If my daughter thinks she is ready to take on the burden of having a child without knowledge, unhappy.

So basically whatever makes your son happy is what should make you happy as a father as well.  So if your son wants to stay home from school because that's makes him happy, you as the father should just be happy with that as well then for example??  There's a difference between being a father (teaching/mentoring/being of guidance) versus just going along with the flow of whatever which is what it appears some people in here are trying to advocate. 

So I'll edit that: Flamboyant people tend to be annoying in themselves, so being around a flamboyant person would annoy me. Same goes with most other attention grabbers.
Okay, so you wouldn't approve or more importantly be HAPPY that your son dressed in women's clothing or him being flamboyant then.  Thanks for clarifying. 

So basically whatever makes your son happy is what should make you happy as a father as well.  So if your son wants to stay home from school because that's makes him happy, you as the father should just be happy with that as well then for example??  There's a difference between being a father (teaching/mentoring/being of guidance) versus just going along with the flow of whatever which is what it appears some people in here are trying to advocate. 

Again, #NTExtremes

My son is happy with a different sexual preference. Cool, doesn't hurt me in anyway. I'm happy

My son cuts off his education, that's stupid and in need of fixing.

Nobody said anything about going with the flow, there is a point when you have to get over it and be happy for your son when he has a different sexual preference.

What makes you think a gay kid is happy that he is gay? You see it all the time, when the most homophobic people are actually sexually confused on the inside, and take it out on others. Hence, the reason why i call it a mental disorder. It causes alot of people who are sexually confused, mental distress, which can also lead to suicidal ideation.

There are gay people who aren't happy about being gay. Their sadness has nothing to do with who they are attracted to though. Their sadness is because their life is inherently more difficult because of their homosexuality. They live knowing that they are seen as second class citizens. They know that they are probably letting people down. They know that they aren't adhering to societal expectations. NONE OF WHICH WOULD IMPLY THAT THEY ARE SUFFERING FROM A MENTAL DISORDER

Seriously, very few people have come into these types of discussion with less of a grasp on the subject than you.

Back
Top Bottom