Major League Baseball: End of Season Awards/Playoff Predictions Thread

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

All I know is Felix should not get the Cy because he didn't make ONE single meaningful pitch this year
How is that his fault?  What about Grienke last year?

And Posey should win it because he's hitting 30 pts higher, has the same amount of HRs, 5 less RBI in 30 less games all while playing catcher for the best staff in the majors.

If he doesn't win it then it is complete robbery IMO.  I'm not discrediting Heyward but what Posey has done since he's been the everyday catcher has been amazing.

All I know is Felix should not get the Cy because he didn't make ONE single meaningful pitch this year
That's his fault? He's the best pitcher in baseball. Period.

sometimes i hate the ROY awarding...
i remember back in 05' when they gave it to Huston Street over Cano.

indifferent.gif
really?

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

And Posey should win it because he's hitting 30 pts higher, has the same amount of HRs, 5 less RBI in 30 less games all while playing catcher for the best staff in the majors.

If he doesn't win it then it is complete robbery IMO.  I'm not discrediting Heyward but what Posey has done since he's been the everyday catcher has been amazing.

Batting average is one of the most overrated stats up there with RBI's and pitcher wins.  Heyward (in a little more than 100 more at bats) has consistently kept his OBP around .395.  That's a very big cog in a lineup that had their leadoff hitter go down for an extended period of time, Glaus fall off the map, Chipper lost for the year and no production from the first basemen.  It wouldn't be complete robbery for either one of them if the other won it.  What Heyward has done to consistently put himself in a position to have himself driven in over 150 games can not be overlooked just like that.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

That's his fault? He's the best pitcher in baseball. Period.
I never said thats his fault, but you guys are on point with the Grienke comparison. No one even really comes close to Felix's stats anyway so he should get the Cy, thats my fault for not thinking.

As far as MVP's go, Hamilton and Votto are my picks

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Batting average is one of the most overrated stats up there with RBI's and pitcher wins.  Heyward (in a little more than 100 more at bats) has consistently kept his OBP around .395.  That's a very big cog in a lineup that had their leadoff hitter go down for an extended period of time, Glaus fall off the map, Chipper lost for the year and no production from the first basemen.  It wouldn't be complete robbery for either one of them if the other won it.  What Heyward has done to consistently put himself in a position to have himself driven in over 150 games can not be overlooked just like that.
The difference in stats really is marginal, Heyward has an edge in OBP and Posey has an edge in SLG so Posey's OPS is slightly higher.  They've both had similar impacts on their team being key hitters as rookies.  IMO the thing that separates the two for me is Posey playing catcher and Heyward playing OF.

bk, Felix had the pressure of pitching EVERY GAME with the idea that his team would NOT score for him!
laugh.gif
Do you know how many starts he made with 1 or less runs? Or what about his stats versus the vaunted Yanks? ERA under 1, 3-0 I believe. Dude would be like 25-0 if he pitched for a contender. Not to mention he made 30 quality starts. Unheard of these days.

I posted this in another thread, but for anyone who missed it:

Jeremy L (Philly): Hey Joe, I've been a big fan for a while. Could you please weigh in on the CC vs. King Felix for cy young debate?

Ken Tremendous: I'm glad you asked, Jeremy L, because this is kind of an interesting one. Sabathia has obviously had a great year, anchoring a shaky Yankees pitching staff with well over 200 innings of 1.18 WHIP. And, of course, given the Yankees offense (first in runs in all MLB, by a pretty wide margin), he's picked up that magical 20th win that makes ignoramuses get all warm and fuzzy inside. On the other hand, here are the categories in which Felix Hernandez leads CC Sabathia as of Sept. 20:

ERA
ERA+
WHIP
H/9
K/9
IP
K
CG
SHO
K/BB
Adj. Pitching Runs
Adj. Pitching Wins
RE24
WPA
WPA/LI
Base-Out Wins Saved

So, actually, now that I think about it, it isn't really a debate. Felix has been a far better pitcher than CC Sabathia this year. Right, Joe?

Joe Morgan: I think it's a joke to have that kind of debate.

KT: I agree! This is awesome. Joe and I agree on something. I am not even going to read the rest of this article, because I am so happy. Instead I am going to hold my 10 week-old baby daughter in my arms, and cradle her, and love her, because she is what's really import—

What Sabathia has done is be the best pitcher in the AL from opening day to this point.

Sonofa—

[drops baby; Mrs. Tremendous casually catches her in mid-air (she is used to this)]

KT: Sorry, honey.

Mrs T: It's fine. Go back to your meta-criticism.

KT: You're the best. What did you say, there, Joe?

I don't buy into the point that if Felix is pitching for someone else he'd have more wins.

You…okay, hang on. You don't "buy into" the point that if Felix is [sic] pitching for someone else — some team other than the Seattle Mariners, who are probably going to score the fewest runs in a season of any team since 19-%@%*##*-71 — that he would have more wins.

How can you not "buy into" that? It's just a fact (barring something incredibly fluky). Felix has sixteen (16!) losses or no-decisions in games where he has given up 3 or fewer runs. If he pitched for the Yankees or Red Sox, and pitched as well as he has this year, he'd be like 22-6. You are just staring at a pipe and telling me it isn't a pipe. Which makes you a great surrealist, but also a dummy.

They said that about Cliff Lee when he left Seattle, but he's lost more than he's won since he left Seattle.

Because he's pitched worse. He has given up twice as many home runs while pitching in The Shoebox in Arlington than he did at Safeco. You still have to pitch well to win. You understand that, don't you?

It's amazing to me that we have let computers define him rather than performance.

It's amazing to me that we have let computers that calculate his performance define him rather than performance, which is calculable via computer.

His job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings. I don't think there should be a debate between Felix and Sabathia.

Felix has thrown more innings than Sabathia. And his job is not to win the game. His job is to help the defense prevent the other team from winning, which he has done better than anyone. The job of winning the game comes from the offense, which is about to set a 40-year low-water mark. How in the world do you have a job?

AL CY - King Felix
AL MVP - Hamilton
AL Manager of the Year - Terry Francona
AL ROY - Feliz

NL CY - The Doc
NL MVP - Votto
NL Manager of the Year - Bud Black
NL ROY - Heyward

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'll be damned if I have to deal with another Yankees/Phillies World Series.

I kinda agree...I dont want to see the same WS

word. If I never see yanks/phils or lakers/celtics again it will still be too soon.

damn, two pages and not one Rangers over the Rays? the funny thing is...........i agree. i must be the only person in texas that wanted to see the yankees instead.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by bkmac

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton
AL Cy Young: C.C. Sabathia
AL ROY: Neftali Feliz
AL MOY: Ron Washington

NL MVP: Joey Votto
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
NL ROY: Buster Posey
NL MOY: Dusty Baker

ALDS: Rays over Rangers, Yankees over Twins
NLDS: Reds over Phillies, Giants over Braves
ALCS: Yankees over Rays
NLCS: Giants over Reds

WS: Yankees over Giants
laugh.gif
Wow, you are quite possibly the biggest homer on NT.
Listen
laugh.gif
! King Felix has the stats, I know that, but C.C., down the stretch at least, was starting games where the pressure was on. Hernandez hasn't pitched a truly meaningful game in months.

Believe me, if Felix wins, I won't be complaining.
Can we stop it already with the meanful games $@+*#+$@ the award is for the best pitcher. Not the best pitcher who leads there team to the playoffs. I think both of them have a very good chance and I'd give a slight edge to CC.
And as far as CC pitching with pressure. No !!@% it should be just another part of the job. 
laugh.gif
 Thats why #!+* he's getting paid  24 million.

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
AL Cy Young: Clay Buchholz
AL ROY: Austin Jackson
AL MOY: Ron Washington

NL MVP: Joey Votto
NL Cy Young: Adam Wainwright
NL ROY: Buster Posey
NL MOY: Dusty Baker

ALDS: Rays over Rangers, Twins over Yankees
NLDS: Reds over Phillies, Braves over Giants
ALCS: Twins over Rays
NLCS: Braves over Reds

WS: Twins over Braves

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

Let me ask you something...what did I say was homerism?

venom lyrix wrote:
AL Cy Young: C.C Sabathia

Hey douche...how is that homerism?!?!!?!?!??!

honestly...are you brain dead???

C.C is a candidate for the Cy Young award, thus making him an option. I've watched his every pitch and think Felix doesn't deserve it based on ERA alone. Sorry that's my logic...that's not homerism you +%$%*$@ infantile piece of garbage. 
indifferent.gif

By the way...

I've watched his every pitch and think Felix doesn't deserve it based on ERA alone.
Nah, it's not ERA alone. It's literally every meaningful statistical category. I repeat:

ERA
ERA+
WHIP
H/9
K/9
IP
K
CG
SHO
K/BB
Adj. Pitching Runs
Adj. Pitching Wins
RE24
WPA
WPA/LI

The only stat that CC has over Felix is wins, which are completely meaningless.

But it isn't meaningless.

It's meaningless to the new *sabermatricians* who think WAR reports and WHIP are the end all be all.

The fact is this kind of an award generally came down to a couple factors. Your team's status...usually in the playoffs, wins, and overall impact to your team.

I agree that the teams status shouldnt mean anything when it comes to this kind of an award BUT IT DOES its just a fact, thats how it's always been. You get a gold star next to your name if you lead them to the playoffs. And 20 wins has been a benchmark for a great season for a long !+# time because well...it's not easy to achieve.

Felix plays for a TERRIBLE Mariners team, that give him no run support. Is that his fault absolutely not. But that's just how it is...(I've been lobbying for Felix to be traded to a contender forever, Ichiro too)

Regardless, CC is more important to the Yankees than Felix is to the Mariners.

But it isn't meaningless.

It's meaningless to the new *sabermatricians* who think WAR reports and WHIP are the end all be all.

The fact is this kind of an award generally came down to a couple factors. Your team's status...usually in the playoffs, wins, and overall impact to your team.

I agree that the teams status shouldnt mean anything when it comes to this kind of an award BUT IT DOES its just a fact, thats how it's always been. You get a gold star next to your name if you lead them to the playoffs. And 20 wins has been a benchmark for a great season for a long !+# time because well...it's not easy to achieve.

Felix plays for a TERRIBLE Mariners team, that give him no run support. Is that his fault absolutely not. But that's just how it is...(I've been lobbying for Felix to be traded to a contender forever, Ichiro too)

Regardless, CC is more important to the Yankees than Felix is to the Mariners.

I dont agree with any of this.  Where does it say/where has anyone said that leading your team to the playoffs, wins and impact on your team have anything to do with the voting?  As far as I know, the award goes to the best pitcher in the league (Greinke/Timmy last year).

And I dont buy the "he didnt throw a meaningful pitch all year" argument either.  In fact, I would argue the exact opposite.  EVERY pitch Felix threw this year was meaningful.  If he makes ONE mistake pitch, that is the difference between him winning or losing.  You cant say that about CC.  Sure his team played meaningful games and the Mariners didnt....but to say he didnt throw a meaningful pitch is silly.  Every pitch was a stress pitch all season long for Felix.

Felix dominated CC statistically.  I really dont see the argument for CC to win.  At all.  

Back
Top Bottom