Major League Baseball: End of Season Awards/Playoff Predictions Thread

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

But it isn't meaningless.

It's meaningless to the new *sabermatricians* who think WAR reports and WHIP are the end all be all.

The fact is this kind of an award generally came down to a couple factors. Your team's status...usually in the playoffs, wins, and overall impact to your team.

I agree that the teams status shouldnt mean anything when it comes to this kind of an award BUT IT DOES its just a fact, thats how it's always been. You get a gold star next to your name if you lead them to the playoffs. And 20 wins has been a benchmark for a great season for a long !+# time because well...it's not easy to achieve.

Felix plays for a TERRIBLE Mariners team, that give him no run support. Is that his fault absolutely not. But that's just how it is...(I've been lobbying for Felix to be traded to a contender forever, Ichiro too)

Regardless, CC is more important to the Yankees than Felix is to the Mariners.
Aside from the part about Felix playing for a terrible baseball team that cannot score runs, all of this is 100% BS.

Felix Hernandez is the best pitcher in baseball.

Regardless, CC is more important to the Yankees than Felix is to the Mariners.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The Yanks with only Jeter, A-Rod, Tex, Cano, Posada, Rivera, Pettite, and the rest would sure be hurting badly without CC. 

The Mariners without Felix would be competing with the Seahawks for most wins in Seattle this year. 

Originally Posted by dland24

I dont agree with any of this.  Where does it say/where has anyone said that leading your team to the playoffs, wins and impact on your team have anything to do with the voting?  As far as I know, the award goes to the best pitcher in the league (Greinke/Timmy last year).

And I dont buy the "he didnt throw a meaningful pitch all year" argument either.  In fact, I would argue the exact opposite.  EVERY pitch Felix threw this year was meaningful.  If he makes ONE mistake pitch, that is the difference between him winning or losing.  You cant say that about CC.  Sure his team played meaningful games and the Mariners didnt....but to say he didnt throw a meaningful pitch is silly.  Every pitch was a stress pitch all season long for Felix.

Felix dominated CC statistically.  I really dont see the argument for CC to win.  At all.  
It's not said anywhere, it's one of those lovely MLB "unwritten rules" yes it didn't apply to Grienke but Lincecum had a monster year as well. (2 yrs in a row)

I understand where you are coming from with the "opposite" of a meaningful pitch by Felix, but I'm not buying that. At no point did a pitch Felix throw determine the future of the Mariners season. He never had to throw a clinching type of pitch for his team. He is an amazing pitcher in an awful situation.

CC is the horse on the Yankees the #1 on the team. Take CC off this team and they aren't in the playoffs right now...thats for sure.

roll.gif
roll.gif

Someone is actually arguing CC for Cy...
roll.gif
roll.gif

Then calls people "infantile"...
roll.gif
roll.gif

AL MVP: Josh Hamilton/Miggy Cabrera
AL Cy Young: Felix Hernandez
AL ROY: Valencia
AL MOY: Ron Washington

NL MVP: Joey Vott
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
NL ROY: Jason Heyward
NL MOY: Bud Black

Hardest one was the Posey/Heyward award.  Heyward's been doing it all year.  Yeah, he plays the OF as opposed to C, if you are going to throw that in then factor in the fact that Heyward is only 20.  Blame Brian Sabean for keeping Posey down and extra two months for no legitimate reason.

Posey never had a chance to even hit a "Rookie wall", that July he had was bonkers though.  Heyward did it all year, hit some walls, battled injuries and had a solid year.

Originally Posted by Hollywood James 6

ALDS: Rays over Rangers, Twins over Yankees
NLDS: Reds over Phillies, Braves over Giants
ALCS: Twins over Rays
NLCS: Braves over Reds

WS: Twins over Braves

pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by dland24

I dont agree with any of this.  Where does it say/where has anyone said that leading your team to the playoffs, wins and impact on your team have anything to do with the voting?  As far as I know, the award goes to the best pitcher in the league (Greinke/Timmy last year).

And I dont buy the "he didnt throw a meaningful pitch all year" argument either.  In fact, I would argue the exact opposite.  EVERY pitch Felix threw this year was meaningful.  If he makes ONE mistake pitch, that is the difference between him winning or losing.  You cant say that about CC.  Sure his team played meaningful games and the Mariners didnt....but to say he didnt throw a meaningful pitch is silly.  Every pitch was a stress pitch all season long for Felix.

Felix dominated CC statistically.  I really dont see the argument for CC to win.  At all.  
It's not said anywhere, it's one of those lovely MLB "unwritten rules" yes it didn't apply to Grienke but Lincecum had a monster year as well. (2 yrs in a row)
That's how baseball used to be. Times have changed man.

I don't understand what you mean by "Lincecum had a monster year as well." Bottom line is Lincecum had 15 wins and the Giants didn't make the playoffs and he still got the Cy Young. How is that any different from Felix this season?

Back
Top Bottom