Majors that will actually get me a decent paying job after college?

go with what you love if you're smart you'll be able to make plenty of money regardless of what you majored in. a degree is there to guide you not dictate your future.

I'm majoring in accounting. From the few courses I've taken already, it's pretty easy and it opens doors to many 6 figure positions.

The 6 figure jobs will usually require a CPA or MBA though, depending on the position.

Sup ya'll. i'm a hs senior and i'm gonna go to college next year. at first i was gonna major in journalism b/c its what i wanna do but then i found out they don't make too much bread. i found my microeconomics class real interesting so im thinking about majoring in the econ field and hopefully have a better chance of getting a decent job that pays well. ya'll recommend any other majors where the job market for someone with a degree in that field is lookin good?

good initiative trying to figure out what you want to do.

^ Accounting degree is always a good look. But having a degree =/= landing at a big 4 and working your *** off to jump to a 6 figure industry position after 5 years.

I would just say be careful making decisions based on money. Your young, but hopefully you will learn there is alot more to a career/workplace than just the salary

Sup ya'll. i'm a hs senior and i'm gonna go to college next year. at first i was gonna major in journalism b/c its what i wanna do but then i found out they don't make too much bread. i found my microeconomics class real interesting so im thinking about majoring in the econ field and hopefully have a better chance of getting a decent job that pays well. ya'll recommend any other majors where the job market for someone with a degree in that field is lookin good?

good initiative trying to figure out what you want to do.

^ Accounting degree is always a good look. But having a degree =/= landing at a big 4 and working your *** off to jump to a 6 figure industry position after 5 years.

I would just say be careful making decisions based on money. Your young, but hopefully you will learn there is alot more to a career/workplace than just the salary

Preach!

Ofcourse it's mostly about money, but later in life you have other priorities that come into play.

A lot of marriages are destroyed because of "work before family" mentallity. And a lot of kids grow up messed up because of it.

Also stress... Going to work miserable day after day for 20+ years? Think about it!

Good job though atleast thinking about your future.

Last edited:
just had this convo with my bro.

dude told me to do what you love. youre gonna be doing that for 40-50 years

anyways any engineering will land you a decent paying job as long as you work hard

civil, electrical, mechanical being the most popular at the universities near me

each of these majors has sub categories that you can go into, for example, civil engineers can be a traffic engineer, water and sewer system engineer, architectural engineer ...

I'll make it super simple OP...

Science degrees start you off at the highest salary ...

But business degrees have the HIGHEST CEILING ...

#yourwelcome
Guess who has an engineering and business admin degree?
nthat.gif

If you choose your career path just because of the money, you may have a miserable life.
sick.gif
. This may sound cliche, but Money cant buy you happiness.
Money can't buy you happiness, but being broke can't buy you anything.
^pretty much. When you're swimming in debt, because of school (somewhat likely), you gotta be ready to pay them off. The prices of school isn't getting any lower.

I'm not a business management major but I always said that degree will always get you some type of JOB. Might not be a career move but you can get a non technical job with any company to with it and that makes a diff when times are hard compared something like psychology. Get a job at GameStop or footlocker but at least you can realistically move up into corporate for those companies with that degree and then have sky be the limit opposed to working at the same jobs with an art degree where people might give you strange looks when you try to go next level unless you been with the company OD years.

Just because one doesn't find a job doing what they love (which is rare), doesn't mean you can't find a job that you are extremely good at or you find a job with certain aspects you like (the people, the environment, the location).

Sometimes you can spend your whole life searching for that "job you love" or your "passion" and never get it.

I'm not a business management major but I always said that degree will always get you some type of JOB. Might not be a career move but you can get a non technical job with any company to with it and that makes a diff when times are hard compared something like psychology. Get a job at GameStop or footlocker but at least you can realistically move up into corporate for those companies with that degree and then have sky be the limit opposed to working at the same jobs with an art degree where people might give you strange looks when you try to go next level unless you been with the company OD years.

Business management degrees are trash. Most undergrad programs are too broad and don't focus on any specific area that'll give you necessary job skills companies are looking for. They also typically have the lowest percentage of employed students come graduation compared to other business majors.

If you're going to be in the business school either do Accounting, Finance, or Computer Information Systems.

Trust me when I say this, I have a business management degree, I wish I could go back and change it to something else.

Business management degrees are trash. Most undergrad programs are too broad and don't focus on any specific area that'll give you necessary job skills companies are looking for. They also typically have the lowest percentage of employed students come graduation compared to other business majors.
If you're going to be in the business school either do Accounting, Finance, or Computer Information Systems.
Trust me when I say this, I have a business management degree, I wish I could go back and change it to something else.

I have a Business Management/Administration undergrad degree. Life is great.

Supply Chain Management.
^ Exactly. I have a Business Administration and Industrial Engineering Degree, Concentrating in Operations and Supply Chain Management. It's crazy with the possibilities. I've worked in Pharmaceuticals, Web Development, Software Deployment, and now I'm working in the Aerospace industry.

Operations and Supply Chain is needed by every industry no matter what, and to be honest, is somewhat difficult to outsource.

If you're interested in it, let me know, I'll try to give more examples/reason why I think I made the right decision!

^ Exactly. I have a Business Administration and Industrial Engineering Degree, Concentrating in Operations and Supply Chain Management. It's crazy with the possibilities. I've worked in Pharmaceuticals, Web Development, Software Deployment, and now I'm working in the Aerospace industry.

Operations and Supply Chain is needed by every industry no matter what, and to be honest, is somewhat difficult to outsource.

If you're interested in it, let me know, I'll try to give more examples/reason why I think I made the right decision!
yo let me get a little info on that

what do you do exactly

yo let me get a little info on that

what do you do exactly
Right now?

I have a pretty unique role. I'm assigned currently to a supplier of my company, they produce parts for our military engines as well as our commercial programs. I'm supporting the supplier with planning/understanding it's capacity issues (What can they produce in a certain period of time). Since they are a huge partner/supplier to us, and we're trying to develop them for the future, I've been tasked with working with their internal team to design/develop a robust plan to keep everything in compliance with quality, meanwhile not disrupting production.

By robust plan, that literally means, figuring out how to plan for when things may not be in compliance (due to time restrictions on inspections). Drawing a very detailed process chart, making sure the flows have no gaps/holes. Developing/writing standard work (very detailed "fool-proof" instructions) for every process/department. Then testing the plan to ensure there are no gaps.

If you noticed, nothing I just said is industry specific, that's the beauty of operations. You improve something based on data, and when you're done, onto the next project. You can improve any industry, and you can move up the chain super quickly, as most of your decisions made will require management approval and what not.

Hope this helps.

Im in your position and I decided on nursing. 3-4 Working days a week. 65-75k starting salary (Not to sure about this, just from basic google search and word of mouth). Hopefully it works out. Interested in the above post about Air Traffic Control. Would love to work in O'Hare and get some free/discounted flights and see the world. Plus airports fascinate me.

This man knows.

Nursing is a great major to get into. It most definitely isn't for everyone though. You have to have dedication when you're in Nursing school. I've read somewhere that nursing school is even more difficult than the schooling you get as a physician because of the amount of stress that is thrown at you.

The rewards when you get that degree are RIDICULOUS though. It'll be easy for you to find a job (depending on which field of nursing you want to focus on); the hospital you work for will most likely cover your health insurance; and if you want to further your education in advanced practices, your hospital would more than likely cover your tuition. Along with the great working hours and exceptional pay/benefits, nursing is definitely a great major to look at. AGAIN IT IS STRESSFUL and not everyone can do it, but if you manage your time right, your hard work will bear fruit.

One of my friends started working in NY Presbyterian literally right after she passed her NCLEX. My boy started working as a nurse just a year ago and he's already traveled out of the country 3 times in the past year for a little vacation during his off days. :smokin

I used to be a slacker in high school, but once I got into nursing school, it shaped me up. Fortunately I've only got 3 semesters left. :lol:

And yes, SounDWav3. 65k-75k sounds about right for a new grad RN. My clinical instructor just told me that new grad RNs in NY start around 70-75k.

Side note: I have a fascination with airports for some reason, as well. :nerd: :lol:

-Drew

Last edited:
Everyone in here talking about nursing is completely correct. It doesn't have the upside of any of the other rat racing majors, but demand, job security, and salary are all fantastic.

Accounting is another good major with a high floor, though the ceiling is higher if you want it to be.

I get where you're coming from. I just graduated with a business management degree and I feel like I don't know ****. I was afraid to apply for jobs because I felt like I needed to know more still.

Luckily life is all about who you know and I got hooked up with a full time job with benefits doing HR for a local construction/engineering company. There is plenty of room to move up and after seeing what people make in the company, I'm sure I'll be fine in the long run staying there. This is more of a start for me than it is long term, but I def want to stay with the company. (I already got 2 disneyland season passes and dope *** laker seats within the 2 months i've been there.)

The electrical, civil, and mechanical engineers make bank there. So does the IT manager and all the project managers. Starting salaries are ridiculous. If it's all about the $ for you focus on these fields. Personally I'd rather make less and live a comfortable lifestyle rather than be stressed out about my job every day. To each their own.

Last edited:
Hey OP,

Just wondering, how much money are you hoping to get, because if you figure that part out, you can then narrow down your choices. I thnk that would be helpful. If you think 40k is good enough, then you have many options. If you're hoping for 50k, then it narrows it down a little bit, etc. etc.

Once you get that down, the choice SHOULD be easier.

If you choose your career path just because of the money, you may have a miserable life.

True. even if you force your way through an engineering degree, but hate the work, then you have a long road ahead of you. Sure the allure of high salaries is tempting, but at what cost?

That said, I'd recommend engineering to anyone who enjoys math and problem solving. I just have a BSEE and under 2yrs experience and will clear $80k+ (w bonuses). The trick is to keep pushing to the next level (not necessarily more school, but thats the route most take). And networking is key to opportunities in the corporate/business world.

Last edited:
How hard is the job market for those who elected not to go the college route?
Anyone can feel free to correct me, but to be honest with you, it's probably tougher. My rationale is that although there are more jobs in general for people w/o a college education compared to people w a college degree. The supply of people who can potentially fill the jobs not requiring a degree is much greater.

Two factors: There are more people w/o degrees + people with degrees can get hired for those jobs as well.

Therefore there is more competition, I think that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom