Majors that will actually get me a decent paying job after college?

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but to be honest with you, it's probably tougher. My rationale is that although there are more jobs in general for people w/o a college education compared to people w a college degree. The supply of people who can potentially fill the jobs not requiring a degree is much greater.

Two factors: There are more people w/o degrees + people with degrees can get hired for those jobs as well.

Therefore there is more competition, I think that makes sense.

For the most part I agree with you except the bolded.

A lot of lower-wage, less skilled jobs will shy away from hiring those with a degree because they assume you won't stay there long.

I can't speak for you guys situations but all my boys with management degrees got jobs within a month of graduation, management is broad to the sense that you can apply to most jobs that require a degree all you gotta do is fluff your interview.

Business management degrees are trash. Most undergrad programs aret too broad and don't focus on any specific area that'll give you necessary job skills companies are looking for. They also typically have the lowest percentage of employed students come graduation compared to other business majors.
If you're going to be in the business school either do Accounting, Finance, or Computer Information Systems.
Trust me when I say this, I have a business management degree, I wish I could go back and change it to something else.
At my school when you major in management you have to choose a concentration (Information Systems, HR, Operations, Supply Chain, International) and a minor. Anybody heard of Packaging Science?

Anyone can feel free to correct me, but to be honest with you, it's probably tougher. My rationale is that although there are more jobs in general for people w/o a college education compared to people w a college degree. The supply of people who can potentially fill the jobs not requiring a degree is much greater.

Two factors: There are more people w/o degrees + people with degrees can get hired for those jobs as well.

Therefore there is more competition, I think that makes sense.
For the most part I agree with you except the bolded.

A lot of lower-wage, less skilled jobs will shy away from hiring those with a degree because they assume you won't stay there long.
I can see that as well, it's just like when I had extra time, last year, I worked as a bartender on the weekends, that's typically a non-degree required job. So I took up a job someone couldn't you know what I mean? It's just the logic is that I COULD get hired to do a non-degree job, vs. someone w/o a degree going for a degree required job.

I can't speak for you guys situations but all my boys with management degrees got jobs within a month of graduation, management is broad to the sense that you can apply to most jobs that require a degree all you gotta do is fluff your interview.

****, I wish bro. I'm going on 6 months now since graduation. Including the time I spent job searching while I was in school its been 11 months. :smh:

A lot of people who graduated with me in management had trouble finding jobs, some just got employed recently. I know some dudes who graduated last year in management were unemployed for a year. :x

In contrast EVERYBODY in Info Systems (from 2.5's to 4.0's) had a job before they even graduated.

Maybe it's just my school though *shrug*

Business management degrees are trash. Most undergrad programs aret too broad and don't focus on any specific area that'll give you necessary job skills companies are looking for. They also typically have the lowest percentage of employed students come graduation compared to other business majors.
If you're going to be in the business school either do Accounting, Finance, or Computer Information Systems.
Trust me when I say this, I have a business management degree, I wish I could go back and change it to something else.
At my school when you major in management you have to choose a concentration (Information Systems, HR, Operations, Supply Chain, International) and a minor. Anybody heard of Packaging Science?
Pretty much the same at my school.

And yes I have!!! Packaging Science is interesting, most consumer goods will need it. Have you noticed an industry trend in Medicine yet? Johnson and Johnson is beginning to move away from boxes outside the bottle for medicine. Their pretty smart innovation is why not make the bottle, the box as well? Put all the information on  bottle, and boom, no more packing necessary. Just fill the bottle, which saves time/money in production. and material cost.

****, I wish bro. I'm going on 6 months now since graduation. Including the time I spent job searching while I was in school its been 11 months.
mean.gif

A lot of people who graduated with me in management had trouble finding jobs, some just got employed recently. I know some dudes who graduated last year in management were unemployed for a year.
sick.gif

In contrast EVERYBODY in Info Systems (from 2.5's to 4.0's) had a job before they even graduated.

What's your bg info? I get calls from people ALL the time on LinkedIn, and people I used to work with.

Are you applying to jobs your not qualified for? (no disrespect), Are you applying for your dream job (you won't settle for anything less)? I'd like more information. I've helped alot of my friends find jobs, big 4 accounting, big bank firms, small consulting, you name it.

Sometimes you just have to persevere!

Do something you love to do and you will live in abundance.

People make money with any career path as long as its something they enjoy doing and work hard at it.

What's your bg info? I get calls from people ALL the time on LinkedIn, and people I used to work with.

Are you applying to jobs your not qualified for? (no disrespect), Are you applying for your dream job (you won't settle for anything less)? I'd like more information. I've helped alot of my friends find jobs, big 4 accounting, big bank firms, small consulting, you name it.

Background Wise: Administrative/Project management. Worked for a contracting company for 2 summers in school that essentially processed, organized, filed applications for Dept. of Education and Dept. of Housing and Urban Development.

As far as jobs that require a degree I've applied for admin assistant postions, entry-level management, entry-level finance, recruiter, front desk, concierge, apt./condo leasing office jobs, fed. government, state/country gov't, temp agencies.

Non-degree requiring jobs: Shoe stores, best buy, Sprint/T-Mobile, Clothing stores, RadioShack, CVS. Basically anything except fast food.

At this point I'm about to start working at the Dollar store my cousin manages....for $7.50 hr :x :smh:

**** school

*End Rant*

Last edited:
****, I wish bro. I'm going on 6 months now since graduation. Including the time I spent job searching while I was in school its been 11 months. :smh:
A lot of people who graduated with me in management had trouble finding jobs, some just got employed recently. I know some dudes who graduated last year in management were unemployed for a year. :x

Won't lie I graduated with a CIS degree may 11 and my whole spring semester I was interviewing and had a interview for the job I ended up getting the day before graduation, and a yr later got my current role back in my home town.

Wrd of advice is don't focus on jobs in big cities or home, you should be willing to relocate, I'm in Atlanta and you gotta realize in this economy you got ppl with years of experience interviewing for jobs fresh college grads would normally do. If I were you I'd look into ATTs development programs for retail and for business sales. Might not be what you want to do but it's a fortune 100 company and they help with relocation.

Honestly, one route that is really decent is an undergraduate engineering degree X MBA combination!

My friend's father took this route and makes well over 7 figures a year, and has a net worth of 8 figures due to making good investments and being wise with his money.

According to my friend, he said that at first, it was a bit stressful for his father. But later on, when he got promoted to higher positions, his stress level actually went down, he gets to spend a good amount of time with his family, and goes on vacations (in the states or overseas) once or twice a month.

He hasn't actually done any engineering or an engineering problem in about 15 years.

I'm on pace for this route right now. I've just gotta keep working hard and grind it out.

When my friend told me this, I got much more motivated to finish school! I'm excited about the potential of my future!

****, I wish bro. I'm going on 6 months now since graduation. Including the time I spent job searching while I was in school its been 11 months.
mean.gif

A lot of people who graduated with me in management had trouble finding jobs, some just got employed recently. I know some dudes who graduated last year in management were unemployed for a year.
sick.gif

Won't lie I graduated with a CIS degree may 11 and my whole spring semester I was interviewing and had a interview for the job I ended up getting the day before graduation, and a yr later got my current role back in my home town.

Wrd of advice is don't focus on jobs in big cities or home, you should be willing to relocate, I'm in Atlanta and you gotta realize in this economy you got ppl with years of experience interviewing for jobs fresh college grads would normally do. If I were you I'd look into ATTs development programs for retail and for business sales. Might not be what you want to do but it's a fortune 100 company and they help with relocation.
Great Advice! I relocated for my job as well, company pays for all it, and then some. Once you get rid of that barrier, the possibilities are somewhat endless!

Aeropower, out of the concentrations I've listed what are some the ideal concentration/minor combinations in your opinion? ie. Management Info Systems/Comp Sci. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread OP.

Aeropower, out of the concentrations I've listed what are some the ideal concentration/minor combinations in your opinion? ie. Management Info Systems/Comp Sci. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread OP.
I personally like Operations/Finance. They fit pretty well together, If you can understand processes of a company + understand the financial implications, you're solid. As for Info Systems/Comp Sci., it's not a bad combination either if you would like a "more" technical combination. Accounting/Finance go well together as well.

Honestly, all of these concentrations/minors are great as long as you understand what you're getting into, and have the appropriate expectations.

I guarantee if you ask anyone what they think marketing is, I guarantee the first and only thought everyone thinks of is advertisements. Which is only a quarter of the puzzle. There's research, there's pricing models, It's pretty how do you get the product to the consumer, it's all under Marketing's umbrella.

Background Wise: Administrative/Project management. Worked for a contracting company for 2 summers in school that essentially processed, organized, filed applications for Dept. of Education and Dept. of Housing and Urban Development.

As far as jobs that require a degree I've applied for admin assistant postions, entry-level management, entry-level finance, recruiter, front desk, concierge, apt./condo leasing office jobs, fed. government, state/country gov't, temp agencies.

Non-degree requiring jobs: Shoe stores, best buy, Sprint/T-Mobile, Clothing stores, RadioShack, CVS. Basically anything except fast food.

At this point I'm about to start working at the Dollar store my cousin manages....for $7.50 hr
sick.gif
mean.gif

**** school

*End Rant*
Sorry, didn't see you post. Hmmm, GPA? School? Is your resume solid? How about your cover letter? Where do you live? Are you willing to relocate?

I'm a finance major, but more interested in breaking into Operations. What would you recommend/companies/transition?

I'm a finance major, but more interested in breaking into Operations. What would you recommend/companies/transition?
Are you already working? I would try to go to manufacturing, it's a haven for operations. Or even consulting. IBM/Accenture/Deloitte/PWC. So many companies struggle with smooth operations, so they are willing to hire internal - continuous improvement, or external for short term improvements.

well, it depends on how much you are willing to work man..
if you dont mind coming out of 4 years of ROUGH studying then follow it up with like 12 hours days for a few years until youre bawlin...
i'd say go and become an investment banker...

i'm on the path to pre-med now and it seems that its going to take forever until i get there but I like the field and that's what keeps me going...
...essentially, you must find what you like to do and won't mind doing for a long time

At this point I'm about to start working at the Dollar store my cousin manages....for $7.50 hr :x :smh:

**** school

*End Rant*

im in the same boat fam but i have a Psychology degree so honestly i expected this to happen. I just graduated in August and I immediately decided to go back to school in the Spring to get a degree in Accounting(and if eligible, a minor in CIS).

Luckily for my school you're allowed to register for more classes without having to enroll again if you register for classes within a year since graduation. They kept all of my classes on file so the only classes i have to take are one's pertaining to my new degree.

I'm majoring in business right now and I'm a junior. I have an internship at a local mercedes benz dealer, been there a little over a year now.

The main fields that are booming right now are business, medical, and IT/IS. Majors in any of those three industries are fair game. It's really important to gain experience

while in school though to increase your chances of landing that dream gig after undergrad or graduate school

Honestly, one route that is really decent is an undergraduate engineering degree X MBA combination!

My friend's father took this route and makes well over 7 figures a year, and has a net worth of 8 figures due to making good investments and being wise with his money.

According to my friend, he said that at first, it was a bit stressful for his father. But later on, when he got promoted to higher positions, his stress level actually went down, he gets to spend a good amount of time with his family, and goes on vacations (in the states or overseas) once or twice a month.

He hasn't actually done any engineering or an engineering problem in about 15 years.

I'm on pace for this route right now. I've just gotta keep working hard and grind it out.

When my friend told me this, I got much more motivated to finish school! I'm excited about the potential of my future!

Its a great combo if you know what to do with it. There are plenty of EE + MBA engineers at my company that just set their careers on cruise control and never applied their business degree when/where it counted. Not that it hurt them any, but getting that MBA is no automatic ticket and the example you gave is more about someone ambitious and either very business savvy or lucky (it is true that once you move up to management/executive level, your job can get easier since you're (supposedly) overseeing more competent people)

also, many get their business degrees online or from unknown schools, which imo does not help much (aside from maybe looking better on paper than someone with no advanced degree). Not everyone is Top 10 b-school caliber, but picking a program that actually opens doors is key

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom