Majors that will actually get me a decent paying job after college?

Majoring in marketing now and its not that bad. Just a lot of group projects for the most part. 

Depends on where you live.. If you don't live in a major city, or don't plan to, you're wasting your time (i.e. ME). Glad I got it, but it really was a waste. Luckily I added a year of undergrad got a minor in History, a minor in PoliSci. Now getting my Master's in Education..

But if you love marketing, and plan on doing it as a career, you'll enjoy the major.

Where are yall searching for jobs?

I've filled 60+ apps online and I feel all the sites are just information and marketing aggregates

for advertisers.

Honestly, one route that is really decent is an undergraduate engineering degree X MBA combination!

My friend's father took this route and makes well over 7 figures a year, and has a net worth of 8 figures due to making good investments and being wise with his money.

According to my friend, he said that at first, it was a bit stressful for his father. But later on, when he got promoted to higher positions, his stress level actually went down, he gets to spend a good amount of time with his family, and goes on vacations (in the states or overseas) once or twice a month.

He hasn't actually done any engineering or an engineering problem in about 15 years.

I'm on pace for this route right now. I've just gotta keep working hard and grind it out.

When my friend told me this, I got much more motivated to finish school! I'm excited about the potential of my future!
Its a great combo if you know what to do with it. There are plenty of EE + MBA engineers at my company that just set their careers on cruise control and never applied their business degree when/where it counted. Not that it hurt them any, but getting that MBA is no automatic ticket and the example you gave is more about someone ambitious and either very business savvy or lucky (it is true that once you move up to management/executive level, your job can get easier since you're (supposedly) overseeing more competent people)

also, many get their business degrees online or from unknown schools, which imo does not help much (aside from maybe looking better on paper than someone with no advanced degree). Not everyone is Top 10 b-school caliber, but picking a program that actually opens doors is key
Yeah, definitely. I agree with this.

From what I see here at school, IS and Accounting have had better chances of landing a job after graduation with really good salaries.  I have friends that majored in finance, marketing, economics, and management that graduated last spring and also the year before that are still looking for jobs.  On the other hand, I know a lot of IS and Accounting majors that got job offers before they even graduate.  I will be graduating next spring (2013) and I also got an offer to work for one of the big 4.   

Nursing is also good, but it is becoming more saturated (I work in a hospital).  Hospitals are now requiring hospital experience which is not good for newly grad RNs.  However, there are facilities that are always hiring RNs.  There a lot of good majors in healthcare besides nursing to look at: radiology, respiratory therapy, physical therapy, and etc.

I always find myself in these type of threads due to my interest in what others choose for their career paths and me wanting to spread some light on the profession I chose and will be working in.

I will be receiving my MS in Occupational Therapy on Dec. 14. In this field, I will be in demand and have great job security, so finding a job will not be a problem. I can expect to make $70,000 or more coming out of school. If I work a full-time job and PRN on the side, reaching $90,000 is very obtainable. There is also the option of working as a travel therapist, where you will be able to contract out for 3 months at a time, have your living and traveling expenses paid for, and make a higher wage than regular staff. I get to interact with people and also be a great asset to their lives, as they rehab from their diagnoses. After several volunteer experiences and completing my fieldwork rotations, I am lucky enough to say that I found a job that I will be very happy with and provides a decent check. OT was in the top ten best jobs for 2012 in many publications.

http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/2012-ranking-200-jobs-best-worst

http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/slideshows/the-10-best-jobs/2

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45hfif/no-7-best-job-for-2012-occupational-therapist/

Last edited:
Are you already working? I would try to go to manufacturing, it's a haven for operations. Or even consulting. IBM/Accenture/Deloitte/PWC. So many companies struggle with smooth operations, so they are willing to hire internal - continuous improvement, or external for short term improvements.

I see, still in school. Have two more semesters after this one. Just want to determine whether or not I will pursue an internship in Operations or IB.

^ Exactly. I have a Business Administration and Industrial Engineering Degree, Concentrating in Operations and Supply Chain Management. It's crazy with the possibilities. I've worked in Pharmaceuticals, Web Development, Software Deployment, and now I'm working in the Aerospace industry.

Operations and Supply Chain is needed by every industry no matter what, and to be honest, is somewhat difficult to outsource.

If you're interested in it, let me know, I'll try to give more examples/reason why I think I made the right decision!
Can you explain more about supply chain management? I don't have a business background degree but i've been interested in learning Supply Chain Management

How are marketing degrees?
i might speak to this.. might be a bit biased cuz i got my undergrad in Marketing.

i think it helped me more in dealing with people, organizing projects, selling and convincing people, and just downright interaction..

now, i work in an att store... and i have TONS of execs and higher ups coming up. i tend to pick their brain, and shockingly, the marketing degrees pop up a lot b/c they seem to have the ability to know how to talk to people.

those group projects are really how it is in the real world. you have to collaborate with people and know how to give and take, lead and follow.

BUUUUUTTT.. right out of college, on paper, it didnt do much for me... but i think career wise, it will be very beneficial b/c of the structure of the classes.

i'm getting my MS in Finance now, which will be done relatively quickly which will help me in getting a job...

from there, i'm going to try and go get an MBA from a relatively larger, known school...

dont care what anyone says... you dont have to be in a TOP 10 BUSINESS SCHOOL to get in the right places... but the employer would like to know what school you come from....

^ Exactly. I have a Business Administration and Industrial Engineering Degree, Concentrating in Operations and Supply Chain Management. It's crazy with the possibilities. I've worked in Pharmaceuticals, Web Development, Software Deployment, and now I'm working in the Aerospace industry.

Operations and Supply Chain is needed by every industry no matter what, and to be honest, is somewhat difficult to outsource.

If you're interested in it, let me know, I'll try to give more examples/reason why I think I made the right decision!
Can you explain more about supply chain management? I don't have a business background degree but i've been interested in learning Supply Chain Management
Supply chain management is ridiculously important to ALL industries. For example, just think about a can of Coca Cola. Where do you get the can? where do you get the soda? Where do you get the sugar? Coloring? Water? Carbination? Aluminum for the can, the tabs, etc. etc.

Supply chain would be exactly what you think it is. A supply chain manager is someone who works to ensure that everything flows correctly and that you have what you need to produce your product. You also don't want a crap-ton of stuff on hand either. Things on the shelf not being used = money spent and held up. Supply-chain is truely fascinating, if you can master it, you'll have every component necessary on the day of assembly/value being added, to have a finished product ready to be sold.

I hope this helps!

I know a few people pursuing accounting degrees and they all claim it is ridiculously hard.
laugh.gif
It's not necessary to dilute their efforts... Accounting can be difficult! That's not really fair... I have friends that work 16 hour days for 2 months straight during busy season. Accounting is far from easy man...
ohwell.gif

It's not necessary to dilute their efforts... Accounting can be difficult! That's not really fair... I have friends that work 16 hour days for 2 months straight during busy season. Accounting is far from easy man... :\

Dilute their efforts? I only posted the " :lol: " because they came into it thinking it would be easy.

I support my friends 100%. :wink:

Have not taken any classes yet, but I should have to take an intro to accounting class my next semester. Curious to see how it will go.

It's not necessary to dilute their efforts... Accounting can be difficult! That's not really fair... I have friends that work 16 hour days for 2 months straight during busy season. Accounting is far from easy man...
ohwell.gif
Dilute their efforts? I only posted the "
laugh.gif
" because they came into it thinking it would be easy.

I support my friends 100%.
wink.gif

Have not taken any classes yet, but I should have to take an intro to accounting class my next semester. Curious to see how it will go.
Oh, then I take it back! haha, sorry, I thought you were saying that it was easy. my b.

Intern early. Intern often. Make connections. Take hiring exams. Work, even if the job is terrible just to get some experience and have something on your resume.

Business management degrees are trash. Most undergrad programs are too broad and don't focus on any specific area that'll give you necessary job skills companies are looking for. They also typically have the lowest percentage of employed students come graduation compared to other business majors.
If you're going to be in the business school either do Accounting, Finance, or Computer Information Systems.
Trust me when I say this, I have a business management degree, I wish I could go back and change it to something else.
I feel as though you are doing something wrong.

From my experience.. Management degrees are good.

Did two internships and had job offers from both before the internship was over..

One was from Target.. The other was McChord Air Force Base.

I already had a decent job as an admin assistant at a Healthcare business..

I just wanted stuff for the resume. So I didnt really feel compelled to take either job..

Plus I told myself after I graduated I was going to take time off to travel the world while still young with little responsibility.

I believe Target starting salary was 52K and McChord AFB was 48k.. Or vice versa.

At my school. I would say that 40% of the management folks had job offers before they graduated as well..

Maybe it was the school we went to? I dont know..

Started in Journalism, and taking Arabic classes to satisfy the language requirement. Now I'm a Public Affairs and Arabic double major

Back
Top Bottom