Manhunt for Brooklyn *** Grabber

nyc transit on a different level I swear.
Back in 2005 I traveled up to NYC to try and become an R&B singer (I pretty much set myself up for failure, cause Atlanta and Los Angeles are the places to go).

So anyways the first month I'm staying at a dorm room style hostel which was 30 bucks a night. But after about 5 weeks, I've made no progress and I'm running out of money and my tax return money wasn't coming until the end of the month. I decide to start sleeping at the train station. The first three nights go by fine, day 1 an old lady brought me some food, day 2 someone brings me a blanket, day 3 someone gives me a bunch of guest passes to the NYSC so I can take a shower and have a place to keep my laptop secure during the day instead of walking around with a backpack all day. I was so ecstatic planning the next day I stayed awake a couple hours than I usually do and while I was charging my Dell Latitude, I fall asleep and when I wake up 10 minutes later both the actual laptop and AC charger are gone from the seat next to me :angry:

So I had to wait until 7AM for the security desk open, when they finally let me in itell the officer I got robbed, he looks at me with a stone face expression and proceeds to explain the difference between property theft, it only would've been considered a robbery if I was awake and had at least been verbally threatened or physically attacked. Dude reluctantly takes a report, and won't give me a straight answer about when they can look at the security footage.

So I'm walking away defeated but then I get the bright idea to walk back to the area it happened, take a picture on my phone that way they'll know exactly which particular camera to review. As I'm walking back, I see a female officer ordering a coffee so I go up to her and explain what happened. She was in her mid 20s and wasn't as jaded like the dude that was giving me attitude, she was on her break and abandoned her remaining time just to help me. we head back to the security station and we go directly into the control room with the monitors and I'm fascinated. But I end up walking away defeated again, cause they had cameras everywhere EXCEPT that area where my Laptop got snatched.

So anyways I ended up withdrawing what little money I had left in my bank account and flew home and started an 11 month crime spree. I figured out it was so easy to steal and rationalized I was taking from faceless corporations so why feel guilty about it? I'd begin my day at 9AM and wouldn't go back home until 9 that night. I didn't have my driver's license at the time, so half of those 12 hours were spent riding buses and trains, there's only so much stuff you can carry in a bookbag so I could only hit so many stores before I had to go unload the stuff at my crib. If Uber and Lyft had existed in mid 00's I wouldn't be a millionaire but I easily would have cleared $100k a year as a shoplifter. Now I'm hitting my mid 30s, and am washed up a classic case of damn homie in high school you was the man homie, what the eff happened to you? I spent damn near a full decade working minimum wage jobs in the aftermath. I attended trade school and got a few certifications back in 2016 and that helped. Then in 2019 all the sudden I started getting higher paying jobs one after the next....I realized my theft charges are so old they must've stopped showing up when employers run background checks. Then when COVID hit I started working overtime pretty much every week and built up a number of contacts to the point I'm on pace to earn close to $75k which technically isn't alot but living in the Midwest and not having any kids it feels like I am balling to some extent. But in the back of my mind I feel some level of discontent...I stopped practicing and doing karaoke, no longer can I hit high notes effortlessly like I used to. Short of actually making a million dollars, I don't know how I'm going to get that "winning/on top of the world" feeling back in my life.

Last edited:
Back in 2005 I traveled up to NYC to try and become an R&B singer (I pretty much set myself up for failure, cause Atlanta and Los Angeles are the places to go).

So anyways the first month I'm staying at a dorm room style hostel which was 30 bucks a night. But after about 5 weeks, I've made no progress and I'm running out of money and my tax return money wasn't coming until the end of the month. I decide to start sleeping at the train station. The first three nights go by fine, day 1 an old lady brought me some food, day 2 someone brings me a blanket, day 3 someone gives me a bunch of guest passes to the NYSC so I can take a shower and have a place to keep my laptop secure during the day instead of walking around with a backpack all day. I was so ecstatic planning the next day I stayed awake a couple hours than I usually do and while I was charging my Dell Latitude, I fall asleep and when I wake up 10 minutes later both the actual laptop and AC charger are gone from the seat next to me :angry:

So I had to wait until 7AM for the security desk open, when they finally let me in itell the officer I got robbed, he looks at me with a stone face expression and proceeds to explain the difference between property theft, it only would've been considered a robbery if I was awake and had at least been verbally threatened or physically attacked. Dude reluctantly takes a report, and won't give me a straight answer about when they can look at the security footage.

So I'm walking away defeated but then I get the bright idea to walk back to the area it happened, take a picture on my phone that way they'll know exactly which particular camera to review. As I'm walking back, I see a female officer ordering a coffee so I go up to her and explain what happened. She was in her mid 20s and wasn't as jaded like the dude that was giving me attitude, she was on her break and abandoned her remaining time just to help me. we head back to the security station and we go directly into the control room with the monitors and I'm fascinated. But I end up walking away defeated again, cause they had cameras everywhere EXCEPT that area where my Laptop got snatched.

So anyways I ended up withdrawing what little money I had left in my bank account and flew home and started an 11 month crime spree. I figured out it was so easy to steal and rationalized I was taking from faceless corporations so why feel guilty about it? I'd begin my day at 9AM and wouldn't go back home until 9 that night. I didn't have my driver's license at the time, so half of those 12 hours were spent riding buses and trains, there's only so much stuff you can carry in a bookbag so I could only hit so many stores before I had to go unload the stuff at my crib. If Uber and Lyft had existed in mid 00's I wouldn't be a millionaire but I easily would have cleared $100k a year as a shoplifter. Now I'm hitting my mid 30s, and am washed up a classic case of damn homie in high school you was the man homie, what the eff happened to you? I spent damn near a full decade working minimum wage jobs in the aftermath. I attended trade school and got a few certifications back in 2016 and that helped. Then in 2019 all the sudden I started getting higher paying jobs one after the next....I realized my theft charges are so old they must've stopped showing up when employers run background checks. Then when COVID hit I started working overtime pretty much every week and built up a number of contacts to the point I'm on pace to earn close to $75k which technically isn't alot but living in the Midwest and not having any kids it feels like I am balling to some extent. But in the back of my mind I feel some level of discontent...I stopped practicing and doing karaoke, no longer can I hit high notes effortlessly like I used to. Short of actually making a million dollars, I don't know how I'm going to get that "winning/on top of the world" feeling back in my life.
autotune. there is prolly still a lot of $$$$ to be made in cryptocurrency. I used to have recurring dreams about falling asleep in coffee shops or grocery stores overnight when they closed only to wake up w/ my keys taken off my person. I never figured out what they meant.

as for the topic at hand I Feel like I have overwhelmingly read that he biggest danger to youth in 70s & 80s NYC was getting kidnapped by a perv not drugs guns etc. sum1 mentioned developing a deeper understanding of adults in their life being especially protective of them, I do remember a serial killer around my neck of da woods of Upstate NY from 1970s-2006 or 2007 he'd would target women on bike paths among other places. violate them & murder them, prostitutes sum of them I think but not all (bike path victims were not sex workers) I think advances in DNA sampling finally did him in. he struck in my zip code early 1990s & ppl were shook not just for women but for us kids too. IDK if the press was saying serial killer back then, neither my folks nor teachers at school were saying such a thing, to us anyways.

Last edited:
So anyways I ended up withdrawing what little money I had left in my bank account and flew home and started an 11 month crime spree.

I stopped practicing and doing karaoke, no longer can I hit high notes effortlessly like I used to. Short of actually making a million dollars, I don't know how I'm going to get that "winning/on top of the world" feeling back in my life.

These are complete 180's

Wild story. But when did you have the on top of the world feeling?

$30 bucks a night. I’m calling Ducktales. No way in hell you finding that in the city.
This was fifteen years ago, back when the minimum wage was $6.00. And the hostel was in the Williamsburg neighnorhood of Brooklyn right before the hipsters invaded it (Dudes that wear flannel shirts, ankle boots, 1970s rock band tees).
Wild story. But when did you have the on top of the world feeling?
Back in high school when I was killing the talent shows. Sometimes before class would start, I'd hang out in the band room and if there was a guitar playing dude we'd do some Fall Out Boy/Green Day renditions. Inevitably a crowd would gather...These were the type of girls that had the black finger nail polish, lip/eyebrow/septum rings. DC/Vans/Etnie shoes. Metal spike bracelets.

On the First of The Month I'd do the Bone Thugs song when everybody was coming in for home room.

In the cafeteria line, I'd start humming the baseline from "Ignition" and when I was being served I would either try to rhyme the lunch ladies name, or some item on the tray like

Ms Lauren be serving the chicken, Hot and Fresh out the kitchen, She been rolling them biscuits , and they will be delicious

I did the national anthem at a couple football games, and I copied Marvin Gaye's version note for note. This was before YouTube existed so people actually thought I came up with it all on my own and was some type of musical genius :lol:

When Ginuwine came out with "In Those Jeans" it was over. I would run up on random girls at their lockers and sing.

And coincidentally when Mario came out with "Braid My Hair" I had been growing mine out too. Normally you wear the same cornrows style for at least 2 weeks but I'd take them down every 3 days or so just to have an excuse to have invite chicks to the crib.

Back in Summer 2015 when Fetty Wap came out with My Way I started practicing and was able to hit every single note in the riff but it was already too late in the game to have any noticeable impact , I gained 40 lbs and lost my hair too from the stress:smh:

But real talk, these "struggle" singers you see on YouTube just barely cracking 1k views? Obviously there never gonna get rich or famous, but they manage to fool women into thinking they're on the verge of blowing up. That was my whole M.O...

Back
Top Bottom