Manny Acta signs three-year deal with the Indians.

I can't believe Branyan is hitting 297 with 20 jacks.

I used to love that guy.

Laffey will start tomorrow.
pimp.gif

If Ben Francisco or Kelly Shoppach are on this team next year, I swear to you, I will not attend a single game.

Has the bullpen contributed to this abysmal season? Sure. The starting rotation? Absolutely.

Well, an overlooked attribute to it is the fact that these two remedial +!@$* play almost daily.

whole team can go for all i care.

It's sad that this foundation of Grady, Vic, Pronk in the lineup with (cc), faus and lee has amounted to what it is.

Frustrating is I can't really blame Shapiro or Wedge. It's just what it is.

Oh, I can blame them.

Stop continuing to play Shoppach, Francisco and Jhonny.

Stop allowing Shoppach to be a "personal catcher" to 60% of the staff.

Stop playing Garko in the outfield.

Don't let Sowers pitch more than five innings ever.

Don't cut the one borderline-reliable reliever we've had this season (Herges).

Don't trade one of our young, up-and-coming relievers whom was never even given a shot in the Majors (Meloan) for a scrub who got designated forassignment.

Don't hire a pitching coach who completely imploded one team's pitching staff in his past.

Stop blackballing Andy Marte, who has done everything he could possibly do on the AAA level.

Stop holding Matt LaPorta back, who has also done everything he could possibly do on the AAA level.

lol. True.

I just think they are quality guys for the most part at their jobs.

I almost really wanted us to not score, but it's nice to see Vic get his first base hit since May.

14 left on base in a 1-0 loss would have been priceless.

Cliff's last two starts: 2-0, 1.00 ERA, 18.0 innings, 2 runs, 10 strikeouts, 0 walks, 0.89 WHIP.

Who's selling the farm for him?

A hell of a lot better than anybody I thought we would get for Gark, honestly.

He's an 8th round pick from last year's draft. He was the 9th best prospect in the Giants system and currently killing A-ball: 12-3, 2.85 ERA, 99strikeouts in 98 innings, 1.13 WHIP.

I didn't expect much, but we got a legitimate talent.

Jess Todd, the PTBNL we got to finish the DeRosa deal is a huge pickup. He's who I was hoping we would end up getting. I'm sure we'll see him inCleveland soon.

Connor Graham (Betancourt return) is an Ohio guy. Starter, 6'7", 235. He's putting up good numbers in A-ball, but he doesn't seem to have avery high ceiling.

It's nice to actually be able to look forward to a few power arms in the future, and not have every one of our pitchers be "control guys" who topout at 88.

yeah, it is.

man, i can still remember the day we traded bartolo, vividly actually. you just knew it was the end of an era.

..and to see it all amount to losing in game 7 of an alcs, just doesn't seem quite enough for me.

not to say we have to rebuild totally again, but trading lee and vic would be more of a move toward that. I'm not against it, it's just kindasad.

i do definitley trust shapiro when it comes to moving big league talent for young guys.

I've slowly come to accept it.

I go back and forth on whether or not we could compete next year with Cliff and Vic. On one hand, we've dealt with all kinds of injuries and Faus'unexplainable collapse. On the other hand, our pitching is really, really bad.

If Cliff stays, Fausto figures it out again (which I fully expect) and Jake gets back to full strength, we still have to figure out who to plug into the othertwo spots in the rotation. Reyes and Lewis will never be healthy, Sowers isn't good and whenever it seems like Laffey can be really good, he has a roughouting. Huff is the same way. We aren't really going to have any money. Will Rondon be ready?

And then there's the bullpen. Does Kerry stay? The only current guys that I expect to be relevant next season are Perez, Perez, Smith, and maybe Sipp (butwould we carry two left-handed relievers?). Add Jess Todd, but, again, a spots to fill.

It just seems like there are way too many questions to answer and too many things that would have to go right.

As far as trading them goes, it has to be to the Rangers or Red Sox. I don't want anything to do with what the Phillies or Angels may or may not offer.I've been reading and watching and whatever else for weeks now, and if I had it my way, both of them would go to Texas for Neftali Feliz, Justin Smoak andKennil Gomez.

To keep it short, Feliz is a potential ace, Smoak may be Mark Teixeira reincarnated and Gomez reminds me a lot of Faus.

We shall see. As for now, I'm just looking forward to LaPorta and Jess Todd getting called up, and Faus coming back. Also, there's a possibility thatAndy Marte finally figured out that he was really good, so that's intriguing. He's putting up the same power numbers in the minors that he always did,but he's changed his swing, is hitting for average, striking out less and has put in a lot of work defensively. Somehow, there's a chance that he isstill a part of the future of this team.

We have won five straight and are only 11 back with 62 to play...
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

I don't want anything to do with what the Phillies or Angels may or may not offer.
indifferent.gif

Fausto will pitch against the Tigers tomorrow.

Crowe got the call-up to replace Francisco on the roster instead of LaPorta because he can play center.

I'm content with the Vic return.

Justin Masterson (24 years old) has shown he can pitch on the Major League level. He's not an ace or anything, but he's a fine piece to plug into therotation right away. 6'6', 250, right-handed. He's an Ohio product, too.

Nick Hagadone (23 years old) is a 6'5", 230 pound lefty who can throw in the upper-90s. He had Tommy John surgery 13 months ago, and he's steadilybeing brought back right now; he's starting games, but only pitching two or three innings at a time. He may be a starter or a reliever; it will all dependon how he recovers. We're playing for 2011 and on, so he has plenty of time to get right.

Bryan Price (22 years old) seems to be a throw-in. He's got nice numbers at AA right now, but doesn't have much upside.

To sum up the past two seasons:

In:

Matt LaPorta
Rob Bryson
Zach Jackson
Michael Brantley
Carlos Santana
John Meloan
Chris Perez
Jess Todd
Connor Graham
Scott Barnes
Carlos Carrasco
Lou Marson
Jason Donald
Jason Knapp
Justin Masterson
Nick Hagadone
Bryan Price

Out:

C.C. Sabathia
Casey Blake
Mark DeRosa
Rafael Betancourt
Ryan Garko
Cliff Lee
Ben Francisco
Victor Martinez

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Pavano or Carroll still getting moved.

It may not seem like it on the surface, but I don't think we're going to be TERRIBLE next season. Obviously, 2011 is the target to start competingagain, but I don't think we'll be any worse next year than we have been this year.

C - Shoppach/Marson
1B - LaPorta
2B - Valbuena/Donald
SS - Cabrera
3B - Peralta
LF - Brantley
CF - Sizemore
RF - Choo
DH - Hafner

Carmona, Westbrook, Masterson, Laffey, Carrasco/Huff/Lewis/Sowers

Bullpen: Perez, Perez, Todd, Sipp, Smith, Lewis, Wood?

I haven't watched much of the Indians this year. How is Vic defensively? I remember the rumors about moving him to 1st full time because he couldn'tcut it back there, but I heard he's improved in the last year or two.

Catching? He doesn't throw anybody out. Ever. As far as blocking balls and things like that, he's solid.

His ability to call games is tough to judge, simply because, for whatever reason, Shoppach became Lee's personal catcher last season. Not only did thatcontinue this season, but he caught Pavano, too, so Vic was forced to catch the likes of Jeremy Sowers and Tomo Okha. There were obviously never any problemswith C.C., or Fausto when he was right, so it's hard to tell.

At first, he's alright. He's not going to make any Gold Glove plays, but he makes the ones you would expect him to make. As you would expect, he'snot very rangy.

We all know what he can do offensively. He's a really tough out who uses the whole field, and he knows how to drive in runs.

Above all, he's a really intelligent baseball player, and certainly one of the best human beings in the sport.

Back
Top Bottom