Mark Smith - New Global Creative Director of JB

I don't get why everyone thinks that just because Mark Smith is the new Creative Director that all of a sudden Jordan 1-XX3 is going to be lasered. Mark Smith has brought a lot of creativity to Nike Sport Culture products and his abilities and insight stretch far beyond the "laser beam."
Such as?

The average consumer doesn't have access to Nike's water cooler gossip. That he's worked on amazing projects that we "outsiders"don't know about doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Chi mentioned how he thinks that the brand needs a "flagship" line of products that would be comparable to the S-Class to Mercedes. Given Chi's close relationship to Mark, I wouldn't be surprised if the two haven't had a previous discussion.
The brand already had a "flagship" line of products. That's what the Air Jordan was supposed to represent. Honestly, isn't$150-$185 enough for top quality, superior performance, and innovation? If the concept is to reinvigorate the "flagship" line and actually providethe consumer with a sense of luxury and value for the money, then this is long overdue. If, on the other hand, they're planning to slot a premium lineabove the existing "flagship" tier priced at $200+: good luck. You've got too much confusion in terms of brand identity to pull that off. They're selling some of the tackiest shoes imaginable right now, then they want to turn around and sell "sophisticated" product under the sameinsignia? That's like Olde English selling champagne.

He also designed the one piece AJ X.
That shoe had to be designed? Seriously? They slapped stock art assets on blank leather attached to theAJ X outsole.

but still, it was also supposed to be about "performance brand excellence inspired by the greatest athlete ever"....as stated many times over the past few years, and seen by the lacking quality of the past few years releases, that is def. not a concern of the company anymore...and I'm afraid if they don't get back to that, they will continue to run the elite image of the brand into the ground, no matter what position shifts they make on the corporate level...
Dead on.
But Concepts Coming out, and probably Designers getting more freedom to actually Design and not include Past DNA will happen.
That would be good news - but only if they stop cutting corners.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Anything's better than the direction they've been headed in (straight down), but consider me skeptical for the moment. I've never been a big fan of laser etching in lieu of genuine innovation and a commitment to quality and performance.

If anything, this brand needs to start putting SUBSTANCE ahead of flash.

Yup..I think maybe a couple of laser jordans are aight but imagine having laser 3, 11, 13 etc... that would look hideous imo

Dentro -- Italian for 'inside' = Indoor shoe.

Esterno -- Italian for 'outer' = Outdoor shoe.

Mark will be a perfect fit for where the brand needs to be.
Thanks! & I desperately hope you are right...

let me ask you, why exactly are they using so many Italian words??

Originally Posted by allthingsjordan

Dentro -- Italian for 'inside' = Indoor shoe.

Esterno -- Italian for 'outer' = Outdoor shoe.

Mark will be a perfect fit for where the brand needs to be.
Thanks! & I desperately hope you are right...

let me ask you, why exactly are they using so many Italian words??

The Designers took a trip to Italy for Inspiration a while ago and it may have spurned from that. Also, MJ loves ALL things italian. The designersvisited a Lambhorgini Factory (I believe) MJ ordered a car from.

Originally Posted by Method Man

The average consumer doesn't have access to Nike's water cooler gossip. That he's worked on amazing projects that we "outsiders" don't know about doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

The brand already had a "flagship" line of products. That's what the Air Jordan was supposed to represent. Honestly, isn't $150-$185 enough for top quality, superior performance, and innovation? If the concept is to reinvigorate the "flagship" line and actually provide the consumer with a sense of luxury and value for the money, then this is long overdue. If, on the other hand, they're planning to slot a premium line above the existing "flagship" tier priced at $200+: good luck. You've got too much confusion in terms of brand identity to pull that off. They're selling some of the tackiest shoes imaginable right now, then they want to turn around and sell "sophisticated" product under the same insignia? That's like Olde English selling champagne.

I was always perplexed on how much hate and flame Gentry got. There is so many hands in the pot when it comes to Jordan Brand. The Sales Team, MarketingTeam, Design Team, Executive Team, etc. that play a major role in what goes on in Jordan Brand. While Gentry did play a significant role, there are so manyhoops that you have to go through to get product approved....For example when the retro craze for J's started it was actually a team of people(celebrities, tastemakers, etc.) who were surveyed and asked which J's should be retroed. When I saw this list, I was suprised on the order of what wasselected. Dont get me wrong Mark Smith is that dude as is Ludekke, Tinker, AC and the whole crew. I am interested in how Mark Smith impacts the team and seewhat happens with Josiah. Jordan Brand has many talented people, but the sky is still the limit. They have such core product, history and brand recognition.

That's like Olde English selling champagne.
roll.gif

The Designers took a trip to Italy for Inspiration a while ago and it may have spurned from that. Also, MJ loves ALL things italian. The designers visited a Lambhorgini Factory (I believe) MJ ordered a car from.
thats whats up...thanks...

It's threads like this that keep me interested in NT, they are definately too few and far between. Like I said on page 1, I think this is some of the bestnews to come out of the sneaker world in quite a while. It really all makes sense now that I begin reading how Mark played a part in designing the stitchingpatterns on the XXIII, took the trip with Tinker and MJ to Europe to study MJ's "love of luxury" and be involved to the extent that he has. Now Ihave no relationship with Nike or JB but looking back it's almost as though Mark was being trained with a bird's eye view of Michael's passions andadmirations through spending so much time together and with Tinker. I don't know Gentry's background and/or his design experience but I can tellthrough Mark's interview in SC and through his works that his creativity is much greater than any industry related artist or designer that I'm awareof. I think that if any of you are expecting him to fill this role and begin dropping OG colorways with Nike Air on the back you are completely mistaken. Infact I would go so far to say that his creativity may lead us away from the OG line and begin focusing on new signature lines and/or team shoes. Could therelease of the CDP's be Gentry's wink to sneakerheads? Could it be his JB farewell speech? It would only make sense, releasing the most desirablecolorway's from our past and present...it's what we've all been asking for right? So really, should our disgust and disapproval of fusions,spizike's and hybrid's lead to verbally bashing his decision to try and bring in as much profit or should we be thanking him for "answering ourprayers" so to speak, with these packs? I don't agree or disagree, just something to think about....

I remember seeing the Mark Smith AF1 creation for the first time and my jaw dropping to the floor because of such incredible attention to detail he took increating it. It just so happens that it's remained one of my favorite sneakers to release within the past 5 years, but certainly not because it was themost beautiful or stunning piece to come along. It was different though, and innovative at the time. Being a professional graphic designer myself, like mostsuccessful artists, the attention to deatil in any piece of art or design is just as important as the content i.e. size, color balance, contrast, objectpositioning, etc. I don't agree with every piece he's done, but I can't say that they're not creative or innovative because most of them havebeen.

I think it's a win win for JB and I applaud them for making this decision at the perfect time. Bring a young, experienced, talented guy in at a time whenconsumers would appreciate (and more importantly buy into) a new vision for it's future.

They can play corporate chess all they want. But until a lot changes and is sustained, this move doesn't move the importance dial much at all.

The main reason this news isn't very exciting is because of the notion that everyone at JB is a team player, i.e. synched to the same isolationist mindset.

Frankly, at this point, I'd trust someone from NT to make the decisions at JB before I'd trust the current regime there.

They've tarnished A LOT of the legacy over the past 6 years or so. Unless they bring in new people from the outside, or hand it all back into Nike'shands, it doesn't appear much will change.

Here's to hoping a miracle happens in Beaverton.

GENTRY IS OUT???????????????????

Dear Mr. Mark Smith:

Bring out retros made with quality materials?as general releases that look EXACTLY like the OG's. Let's ruin Gentry's collection!!!!!!!!!

So what does this mean in the long run ?

Nike air on the back.

Also from what I hear jordan 24's next year.

The 23 is not the last jordan.

So, I keep hearing about his innovation and his great designs, and then only see that he lasered shoes that already existed. Did he actually design any shoes?Does he get credit for designing any shoes? Not hating on dude, I just don't know his whole story, nor what we can look to for his design style at thispoint, other than lasered retroes (Js and Forces). I will say that from what I've seen, his attention to detail is pretty incredible, so that could be aHUGE plus if he's able to get that detail into generally released products (not just the DISGUSTINGLY LIMITED stuff, 1offs and such). Either way, it'sreally hard to know what to make of this move until we start seeing product on shelves (or on NT). I just hope that the quality and materials start improvingand the colorways become less RIDICULOUS. But what I don't get is (and I didn't hear the discussion with Chi), why does that company with the highestprices need a more flagship product? Isn't $185 already WAY TOO MUCH?!?!?! And don't even get me started on $50 BASKETBALL SHORTS, My Goodness...

^Word to MethodMan.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

They can play corporate chess all they want. But until a lot changes and is sustained, this move doesn't move the importance dial much at all.

The main reason this news isn't very exciting is because of the notion that everyone at JB is a team player, i.e. synched to the same isolationist mindset.

Frankly, at this point, I'd trust someone from NT to make the decisions at JB before I'd trust the current regime there.

They've tarnished A LOT of the legacy over the past 6 years or so. Unless they bring in new people from the outside, or hand it all back into Nike's hands, it doesn't appear much will change.

Here's to hoping a miracle happens in Beaverton.

I think you guys have it ALL wrong with thinking there will be NO Change in the way or Outlook Jordan has once Mark puts his finger print on things.

Im sure his outlook won't be to determine if to put Nike Air on the Jordans or what colors they should come in. His outlook would be to make sure theDesign Concepts are tightened up and The Outlook of the Entire Jordan Line Signature and Team is transformed.

You have to understand as I stated before. This dude worked in the kitchen. Yes, he is directly responsible for Lasering, but he isn't just held to doingANY ONE thing. Those guys get to basically work on ANYTHING they think would be good to implement into retail. If he has a dope design for Running.. Hedevelops that.. Sport Culture... Run with it. Basketball... Ok.. let it ride.

Mark designed the Spizike...and altho MANY here hate that shoe, it sells. It sells well. Just like the Hyperdunk wasn't designed by someone INNikebasketball, it was done by Eric Avar FROM the Kitchen.

If Mark was going to stay the course of Jordan, why even go, when he can do what he wants in the Kitchen. Look for new Siloettes sp? to be done, and perhapseven a wider array of NON Basketball Footwear Products to be produced. Guys like Jason Mayden could be a Kitchen guy because he can design just aboutANYTHING. A Shoe which comes out in retail called the Monarch has sold probably over 6 Million shoes to date and its just a regular walking shoe, that someolder folks wear.

You may not know the shoe, but I promise you someone older than you may.

If what I think can be done is done. After the next two seasons, there will be some Sneakerhead dudes who actually appreciate kicks that aren't signatureor Retro Jordans...

I also think with Mark Coming to Jordan, this keeps Tinker working on more Projects with Jordan, where before he may not have had the desire to after theXX3...

If Mark was going to stay the course of Jordan, why even go, when he can do what he wants in the Kitchen.

That's a fair point, Rock.

I'd be interested to know who jumpstarted this change and why.

Also, is Gentry being moved to a lesser role? Does this even affect him and if so how?

Thanks for the info.

Mark designed the Spizike
kiss.jpg
altho MANY here hate that shoe, it sells. It sells well.
So does crack - doesn't mean you shouldn't be ashamed to sell it.

If I'm concerned about the brand's integrity and seek a return to performance and originality, the last guy I'd look for is the one responsible forthe "spiz'ike" - a slapdash, overpriced, unoriginal, regurgitated mess of scrap parts from classic shoes - and "lazer" engraving, anequally unoriginal faux-innovation fans associate less with subtle, sophisticated detailing than with garish, disgraceful garbage like the "lazer" V.

It's an uphill battle for credibility. If he wants to prove that he respects the brand's heritage, we'd better see a swift return to AUTHENTICITYin our retro products and a renewed commitment to QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, and INNOVATION in the original designs.
This guy gets nothing on credit from me. He still has everything to prove. He could be the nicest guy in the world, but that means nothing to me if I'mat the cash register with a $310 forced bundle of shoes that look and feel like a pair of flea market fakes compared to retro shoes from as recently as 2001.

Back
Top Bottom