Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

My old car too... my mother is friends with her grandmother, funeral is next Saturday.

IMG_0758.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg

Dude killed a 9 year old child and the reporter covering his shooting. :smh:

you could feel the fear in her words :frown: never realize how these reporters are out there not just the big national folks in war zones but the local people doing work at and around active crime scenes

That website is ***

"Keith Melvin Moses, 19, has been named as the suspect in multiple shootings in Orange County's Pine Hills neighborhood, Feb. 22, 2023. [Orange County Sheriff's Office]

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - A 19-year-old man is expected to face murder charges in the shooting deaths of an Orlando TV journalist, a 9-year-old girl, and a woman in a series of shootings Wednesday in Pine Hills, Florida that also injured a second journalist, and the girl's mother.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office said a 20-year-old woman was shot and killed early Wednesday. Hours later, a Spectum 13 News crew who was covering that initial shooting was shot inside their vehicle, and a mother and her daughter were shot nearby inside their home. The names of those killed and injured have not been released.

Orange County Sheriff John Mina identified the suspect as 19-year-old Keith Melvin Moses. Here is what we know about him.

Full press conference: Orlando journalist, 9-year-old girl killed; 3 others hurt in series of shootings​

Deputies say a man shot two Orlando news journalists and then walked into a Pine Hills home and shot a mother and her 9-year-old. One of the journalists, who work for Spectrum 13 News, has died, as well as the 9-year-old girl. The girl's mother and the other journalist remain in critical condition.

Sheriff John Mina told reporters that the suspect has not provided an immediate motive in any of the shootings.

However, he said that Moses was "an acquaintance" of the woman who was shot and killed Wednesday morning. He also does not appear to have any connections to the journalists or the mom and her daughter, Sheriff Mina said.

"The suspect is not saying much right now," Sheriff Mina said. "It's hard to know if he was targeting this news crew. Again, that will all be a part of our investigation. I was out at the scene and the vehicle doesn't really look like a news vehicle to me, but then again, there was a photographer there so that's possible."

Moses returned to the neighborhood around 4 p.m. when local media outlets were preparing for live reports on the morning homicide on Hialeah St. for their early evening newscasts, he said.

"He returns to the scene. He goes to the vehicle where the news media people are at, he shoots both the people from News 13," the sheriff said.

Sheriff Mina said Moses was located in the area and detained shortly after the second and third shootings. Deputies said he was armed with a handgun at the time of his arrest.

"A very good description was given out, deputies located him in the exact same clothes that he was wearing during the shootings and once they did detain him, homicide detectives who were familiar with him from the previous cases said, 'Yeah, that's our same guy from the earlier homicide,'" Sheriff Mina said.

Sheriff Mina said other deputies know Moses from alleged other cases.

"At 19, he has a lengthy criminal history to include gun charges, aggravated battery and assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and grand theft charges." FOX 35 is working to confirm additional details and gather additional information.

A search of online court records by FOX 35 News shows Moses was arrested in November 2021 on charges of possession of cannabis and drug paraphernalia. However, those charges were dropped the following month. It's unclear if Moses had a juvenile record, as those cases are not typically public.

Orange County detectives are now looking for cameras in the area, reviewing footage, and attempting to track down witnesses.

"I want to acknowledge what a horrible day this has been for our community and our media partners. I work closely with all of you and know many of you and know the very difficult job that you do and also the very important job that you do for our community," he said.

“We were horrified to hear the news that two journalists for Spectrum News 13 were shot while reporting on the scene of a third shooting in Pine Hills, Fla. tonight. One of the journalists has died and the other is injured. Police have detained a 19-year old suspect. They believe all three shootings are connected. Our hearts go out to the families of the journalists and their newsroom colleagues at Spectrum 13. This is another tragic reminder that journalism is a dangerous business and that criminals and those that are the subject of reporting can become violent toward reporters who are doing their jobs. We urge all reporters in the field to take extra precaution and redouble efforts to work safely. We call on those who use hateful rhetoric against journalists online to carefully consider the consequences of their actions. These journalists, whose names have not been released by Spectrum 13, join Las Vegas journalist Jeff German as among those U.S. journalists who have been brutally attacked for their work in just the past year.”

I think they shouldve waited before saying that since the motive remains unclear, but I do support the press so it needed to be said. But I think this dude killed the first person and then just went off the rails. Coming back to the scene to kill more people is wild.

The irony is, this law has its roots in a fictionalized version of the "Wild" West.

The Myth:
Well, even if cowboys didn't have cowboy hats, we sure as hell know they had six-shooters on their hip. Back then, every man, woman, and child came pre-equipped with an old-timey revolver, which was used for everything from personal defense and hunting to celebrating.
5 Ridiculous Myths Everyone Believes About the Wild West
Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images
If you're extremely careful, they even work as vibrators.
The Reality:
Regardless of the public's perception, gun control laws may have actually been stricter back in the 19th and early 20th century than they are now, especially in the West. In the beginning, there was definitely gun violence, as there was neither standardized law nor a good way to enforce it, but the Wild West didn't stay wild forever.
As towns formed and communities grew, the need for and tolerance of handguns started to fall. Starting in 1878, some 25 years into the westward expansion, action was finally taken -- even places as wild as Dodge City started posting signs like this:
THE CARRYINGOE FIRE ARMS STRICTLY PROHIBITED The me - FRE ARMS fat Peitee T Pic Ast BITTERS
Fabius Maximus

Back
Top Bottom