Massive Quake in Mexico

Massive 8.0 Earthquake(s) just hit Mexico. Potential Tsunami warning ahead

From reddit:

• Magnitude: Originally an 8.0, the USGS has updated their magnitude to an 8.1. Their Mexican counterparts place this quake as an 8.4.

• Location: 96km SW of Pijijiapan, Mexico. This is offshore and means there is a risk of Tsunami.

• Depth: The Depth has been updated from 33km to 69.7km, making this pretty deep.

• Intensity of Shaking: The Shakemap has been updated to show that Violent (XI) shaking is expected to have been felt on the West Coast of Mexico and Guatemala. The Did You Feel It Reports show that people all the way in Guatemala felt this event. Mexican reports closer to the epicentre reflect the same Severe (XI) shaking, however the number of reports right now are limited. If you felt this quake, please Fill this Report out!

• Pager: RED

• Expected Fatalities Probability (%)
    11-100, 10%
    101-1000, 28%
    1,001-10,000, 35%
    10,001-100,000, 20%
    100,001+, 7%

• Expected Costs (USD) Probability (%)
    $100m-$1b, 4%
    $1b-$10b, 16%
    $10b-$100b, 33%
    $100b-$1T, 31%
    $1T+, 16%

• Tsunami: Currently a Tsunami threat for the west coast of Central America. Not a warning as of writing this report. If, however, you are on the west coast of Central America, please follow all emergency guidance.

• Aftershocks: This is a very large quake, which brings with it a risk of larger aftershocks around the 7.0 level, and even more 6.0's etc. Due to the location however, you may not feel all of them.

I have family in Mexico but they're more in the middle of Mexico. I don't think they felt it. This quake is practically in Guatemala.

Damn everybody getting hit with something :smh: ...can't even imagine what's cooking up for the north east/ mid Atlantic

Hope they will be ok in Mexico

My girl's fam is in mexico, was lowkeyy concerned. Glad to hear that they're safe.

Back
Top Bottom