"Mayweather V. Cotto" *Official Thread* Who Are You Going For?

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

I bet Ellerbe and the Money Team is trying to find some loophole. Hopefully we at least see more of his fellow Cubans.
nerd.gif

Arum doesn't leave loopholes.  That's why Donaire stayed.  That's why Manny stayed.  Gamboa is just killing his career.
Floyd found a buyout clause, though.
And Arum learned from that. 
Pacquiao couldn't leave, Donaire couldn't leave, and now Gamboa is probably not gonna be able to leave.

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Why would Floyd Mayweather of all people play possum?
laugh.gif
He is the biggest perfectionist in the sport. The only rounds he would "lose" is round 1-3 or so in most of his fights. Those are his feel out rounds, but he still keeps it close. Usually brawlers with tough chins and great power, but less skill like to play that game. Let the opponent throw all he has and when he tires out, throw a bomb right at his chin. I am not trying to come off as a boxing elitist, but this happens during every big fight. Some people who know next to nothing about the sport, come in here and say the most foolish things. My argument was not "You don't know shhh about boxing"- Roger Mayweather. If you were more familiar about how Floyd Mayweather fights and thinks as well as about this sport in general, most likely you would not buy what he said during his post fight interview.  It's no coincidence that the regular boxing fans in here instantly called his bluff. If you want to label who is elite in boxing, can you name 5 boxers in the top 10 P4P list without looking it up? 
being a perfectionist is boring.
Floyd knows that, so he tweaked his style to make it more interesting.

Do you not think that Mayweather can prevent anyone from touching him?

Thats one of the things he is known for..and I believe he could have done this easily for 12 rounds against Cotto. 

I am familiar with how Floyd fights. We can both agree that he fought differently. 

You're arguing that Cotto had something to do with it..I'm arguing that he didn't.

You can't even define elite. 

Floyd approached the fight with more than just boxing in mind. He went for the win, for the PPV $, and he

wanted to give the fans what they want to see so they can continue to buy his PPV of his future fights. (because no one wants to pay $ for a boring fighter whose perfection brings wins but no excitement).

I have no doubt, that if he ever fights Pac, he's going to be on his backpeddling defense all 12. With Cotto, he doesn't need to do that. 

I can't name 5 p4p fighters, but it doesn't discredit my opinion's validity. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
no way you are serious why would a boxing purist that prides himself on his defensive abilities play possum to win more fans when his fights sell out regardless?

You do realize Cotto is an elite fighter right? He only lost to Manny who drained him, and Margarito who beat him with plaster hands. Cotto has an impressive resume himself, hell even Emnauel Steward said himself that the 7 to 1 odds are crazy and he trained Cotto previously. 

Why would Floyd Mayweather of all people play possum?
laugh.gif
He is the biggest perfectionist in the sport. The only rounds he would "lose" is round 1-3 or so in most of his fights. Those are his feel out rounds, but he still keeps it close. Usually brawlers with tough chins and great power, but less skill like to play that game. Let the opponent throw all he has and when he tires out, throw a bomb right at his chin. I am not trying to come off as a boxing elitist, but this happens during every big fight. Some people who know next to nothing about the sport, come in here and say the most foolish things. My argument was not "You don't know shhh about boxing"- Roger Mayweather. If you were more familiar about how Floyd Mayweather fights and thinks as well as about this sport in general, most likely you would not buy what he said during his post fight interview.  It's no coincidence that the regular boxing fans in here instantly called his bluff. If you want to label who is elite in boxing, can you name 5 boxers in the top 10 P4P list without looking it up? 
Boxers do not just change their styles all of a sudden, especially if they have a winning formula. Boxers pretty much fight the same style from Amateur to Pro.

Thats one of the things he is known for..and I believe he could have done this easily for 12 rounds against Cotto.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]He still needs time to adjust to his opponent despite how skillful he is. Which is what rounds 1-3 is for. He had a more difficult time doing so with Cotto.[/color]

I am familiar with how Floyd fights. We can both agree that he fought differently. 

You're arguing that Cotto had something to do with it..I'm arguing that he didn't.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In this fight, Mayweather landed 25% of his total punches compared to 46% in his previous fights. Cotto completely caught Mayweather off guard. Cotto has some clear weaknesses, but he and his trainer had a great strategy.

[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The word "elite" is somewhat relative. I would call Cotto elite because he has beaten some of the best and prior to May 5th he was #1 in his division. Just because the most you've probably seen of Cotto is in Pacquiao highlights getting whopped doesn't mean he's not elite. What is your criteria to be considered elite? [/color]

Floyd approached the fight with more than just boxing in mind. He went for the win, for the PPV $, and he

wanted to give the fans what they want to see so they can continue to buy his PPV of his future fights. (because no one wants to pay $ for a boring fighter whose perfection brings wins but no excitement).
He's been doing this for years and it hasn't affected his bottom line. The main reason he sells is not his skills or his actual fights. It's his WWE-esque "Money May" persona that sells and he knows it.

I have no doubt, that if he ever fights Pac, he's going to be on his backpeddling defense all 12. With Cotto, he doesn't need to do that.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Even if in the back of his mind he thinks he doesn't have to do that with Cotto, he's not the type who would take those chances to risk losing the fight. Especially after seeing Pacquiao vs Marquez III, and the general perception is that the fight was close or many argue that Marquez won the fight. [/color]

It does discredit how you define elite, because you clearly don't know who is besides Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

you ever watch "Good Will Hunting"? Matt Damon's girl is studying Organic Chemistry and he ends up tutoring her because he's able to pick up the concept faster than she can. Right now your the girl, and I'm Matt Damon. I just pick up the concept of boxing faster than you can. its ok, she's attractive and ends up going to Stanford for Medical School..not saying the same will happen to you, but keep studying boxing, and hopefully you'll understand it better..someday
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Gold.

It was a good fight....a lot close than the scorecards indicated.  The only way someone will beat Mayweather is to knock him out, no way a decision is going against him. 

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

It was a good fight....a lot close than the scorecards indicated.  The only way someone will beat Mayweather is to knock him out, no way a decision is going against him. 

He'll never lose to decision because boxing will want to keep his undefeated streak because it's a big draw.

A fighter will have to win 9 of the twelve rounds to win the decision over Mayweather and win those rounds decisivly.

If Manny even stands a chance or any fighter for that matter they have to chase Floyd and stay on the offensive and keep attacking and not worry about getting hurt.

That fighter just needs to have stamina and endurance... and that's to even have a chance.

If Manny and Floyd do fight I don't know if Mayweather will do what he did with Cotto and fight risky and take a chance of losing... I think he will do a wait and see approach and feel things out.

Boxers do not just change their styles all of a sudden, especially if they have a winning formula. Boxers pretty much fight the same style from Amateur to Pro.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]He still needs time to adjust to his opponent despite how skillful he is. Which is what rounds 1-3 is for. He had a more difficult time doing so with Cotto.[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]In this fight, Mayweather landed 25% of his total punches compared to 46% in his previous fights. Cotto completely caught Mayweather off guard. Cotto has some clear weaknesses, but he and his trainer had a great strategy.

[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]The word "elite" is somewhat relative. I would call Cotto elite because he has beaten some of the best and prior to May 5th he was #1 in his division. Just because the most you've probably seen of Cotto is in Pacquiao highlights getting whopped doesn't mean he's not elite. What is your criteria to be considered elite? [/color]

He's been doing this for years and it hasn't affected his bottom line. The main reason he sells is not his skills or his actual fights. It's his WWE-esque "Money May" persona that sells and he knows it.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Even if in the back of his mind he thinks he doesn't have to do that with Cotto, he's not the type who would take those chances to risk losing the fight. Especially after seeing Pacquiao vs Marquez III, and the general perception is that the fight was close or many argue that Marquez won the fight. [/color]

It does discredit how you define elite, because you clearly don't know who is besides Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

Since you want to google "mayweather Cotto compubox"...lets pull out all the facts
Hatton Fight Mayweather threw 330 punches, landing 39% for 10 rounds averaging 33punches/round

Marquez fight Mayweather threw 493, LANDING 59% for 12 rounds, averaging 41 punches/round

Mosley, mayweather  threw 477, landing 44% for 12 rounds, averaging 39.75 punches/round

Ortiz, Mayweather threw 208 punches, 35% for 4 rounds, averaging 50 PUNCHES/ROUND

Cotto, Mayweather threw 687 punches, 26% for 12 rounds AVERAGING 57 PUNCHES /ROUND.

Don't pull out facts from a website and not do your own research. That 46% that you pulled off of mlive.com is clearly skewed from the marquez fight where he landed 59%!!!! Every fight since Hatton, Mayweather has been increasingly throwing more punches (except mosley which is pretty close to marquez's stats), which has him becoming less accurate, and more exciting.. which means Cotto isn't the reason for the change. He's just the latest victim of Mayweather tweaking his style. 

(and great players tweak their game over the years all the time! Jordan, Kobe, Mayweather Get out of here man. Its how great players survive the league!)

so Mayweather hasn't drastically changed his style, but it's been changing for the past 5 fights. I can eye ball it, you need compubox..but even then compubox still agrees with me. You just got the headline that said "Mayweather is less accurate because of Cotto compared to 46%of his previous fights blah blah blah". Think for yourself man. Do your own research. 

Originally Posted by peep the kicks

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

If Mayweather would've fought Cotto in 2007 he would've won by KO in 6 rounds . Cotto was way too wild back then and would've got caught. IMO Cotto is a better overall fighter now than he was back then .

Haha 6 rounds??? And ya'll make fun on pac stans. Ya'll are just as worse

Yes , I AM DEFINITELY a Mayweather stan

laugh.gif
Clown

CAFinest23 wrote:

roll.gif
roll.gif
no way you are serious why would a boxing purist that prides himself on his defensive abilities play possum to win more fans when his fights sell out regardless?

You do realize Cotto is an elite fighter right? He only lost to Manny who drained him, and Margarito who beat him with plaster hands. Cotto has an impressive resume himself, hell even Emnauel Steward said himself that the 7 to 1 odds are crazy and he trained Cotto previously. 

see my post above. Cotto is great, just not elite. Theres nothing that really sticks out from him . Mayweather has the ring genralship, Pacquiao the angles and punching power. With Cotto I can't really say anything, but he's a dope fighter with heart.  He didn't just lose to Manny. He got killed 

Even after the fight, Cotto did not complain about being drained. He had nothing but compliments for Pacquiao, and he said he did his best for himself, and for all the fans. Stand up dude 
pimp.gif
. He never looked for an excuse, so why are you looking for one for him? 

It was a good fight....a lot close than the scorecards indicated. 
i just rewatched the match for the 3rd time and im having a hard time giving cotto 3 rounds.

6 and 8 he won, cant see how he won any other than those.

Originally Posted by Demps

It was a good fight....a lot close than the scorecards indicated. 
i just rewatched the match for the 3rd time and im having a hard time giving cotto 3 rounds.

6 and 8 he won, cant see how he won any other than those.

Completely Agree.

I didn't see the fight but...

From a business perspective, I could understand Floyd fighting differently because people will lose interest because it seems like there will not be a matchup with Pacquaio.

He will need to make these fights with lesser opponents more entertaining to keep the interest up.

[/color]

Since you want to google "mayweather Cotto compubox"...lets pull out all the facts
Hatton Fight Mayweather threw 330 punches, landing 39% for 10 rounds averaging 33punches/round

Marquez fight Mayweather threw 493, LANDING 59% for 12 rounds, averaging 41 punches/round

Mosley, mayweather  threw 477, landing 44% for 12 rounds, averaging 39.75 punches/round

Ortiz, Mayweather threw 208 punches, 35% for 4 rounds, averaging 50 PUNCHES/ROUND

Cotto, Mayweather threw 687 punches, 26% for 12 rounds AVERAGING 57 PUNCHES /ROUND.

Don't pull out facts from a website and not do your own research. That 46% that you pulled off of mlive.com is clearly skewed from the marquez fight where he landed 59%!!!! Every fight since Hatton, Mayweather has been increasingly throwing more punches (except mosley which is pretty close to marquez's stats), which has him becoming less accurate, and more exciting.. which means Cotto isn't the reason for the change. He's just the latest victim of Mayweather tweaking his style. 

(and great players tweak their game over the years all the time! Jordan, Kobe, Mayweather Get out of here man. Its how great players survive the league!)

I brought up those %'s just to show that Floyd's accuracy was not where it usually is in this fight. It's great that you pulled out the stats from the other fights. Perhaps it isn't really fair to give much weight to the Marquez fight, he was undersized after all. Floyd definitely took advantage of his height and reach advantage in addition to coming in overweight. So let's take that one out and just look at the rest. The average of 39%, 44%, and 35% is 39.33%. We compare that to 26%, there's a pretty big difference. Floyd has to adjust to his opponent and approach each one differently, I never denied that. When he fought Hatton, he was considered dangerous. He had to be more cautious, but he noticed that he leaves his chin exposed at all times. So he preyed on the right opportunity and it paid off. The Shane Mosley he fought could not beat Sergio Mora 5 months later, enough said. Victoria Ortiz, he solved his puzzle almost right after the opening bell and it was clear he had no respect for him. Had the fight continued, he would have connected at a higher percentage as the fight went on. Still 35% isn't as far off as 26%. 
If Floyd was able to land like he usually does, he would not have thrown as many vs Cotto simple as that. Any boxer would tell you that it is more exhausting to miss a punch than to land one. You think that at 35, he wants to waste unnecessary energy? So you believe that Floyd threw more punches while connecting at a lower percentage and took more punishment just to be more crowd pleasing? If that was his plan, he should have KTFO Cotto and that probably was what he had in mind it just didn't happen because he could not connect at his usual percentage. 

Boxers do tweak their styles, but it usually is not significant. Watch some amateurs who turned pro. You might see some slight improvements, but the way they go about their fights is the same. Only one I see significant difference in is Pacquiao, which is why the Mayweather's suspect he's using steroids. As for Floyd Mayweather Jr., perhaps he did want to make this fight more exciting. But
he takes the most pride in his superb defense and accuracy, and if it comes at that price he would not make the sacrifice just to be exciting. His objective is to win and take the least hits while doing so.  It doesn't matter how his fights go, the world will still tune in to watch.

so Mayweather hasn't drastically changed his style, but it's been changing for the past 5 fights. I can eye ball it, you need compubox..but even then compubox still agrees with me. You just got the headline that said "Mayweather is less accurate because of Cotto compared to 46%of his previous fights blah blah blah". Think for yourself man. Do your own research. 

How about you take your own advice and think for yourself and do your own research instead of taking everything Mayweather says at face value? If he does not look as good as he usually does of course he's going to come up with some reasoning. Anyway I'm through talking to you about this fight. Maybe I'll see you again for Pacquiao vs Bradley. You probably don't consider Bradley to be elite either.

Originally Posted by cguy610

I didn't see the fight but...

From a business perspective, I could understand Floyd fighting differently because people will lose interest because it seems like there will not be a matchup with Pacquaio.

He will need to make these fights with lesser opponents more entertaining to keep the interest up.
No, he doesn't. As long as his brash, egotistical, arrogant persona is on twitter, youtube, or anywhere making headlines people will buy his fights, whether they're action packed or not, to watch him lose to whoever his opponent may be.
Nobody on this forum, hell, anywhere all over the world thought Floyd was going to stand there and trade with Cotto. We all thought he would be methodical in his approach like he's always been. With that said (if the reports are right), 2 million people bought this fight thinking Floyd would throw one punch at a time and pot shot, and a good chunk of you thought he fought that way to crowd please? What does he care? He already made that money, why put himself in that kind of danger? Makes no sense when you take a look at the body of work over his career.

I don't think Floyd wanted to make the fight more entertaining, I think Cotto's size and strength was what made the fight interesting. When Cotto backed Floyd into the corner, there were times when Floyd would try to escape but Cotto was so big and strong that he was able to keep Floyd pinned. I think the way Cotto leaned on Floyd the whole fight also may have tired Mayweather out a bit. I think Cotto's team put together a perfect game plan, and Cotto executed it as well as he could have.

If his fight with Manny is close Manny will def get the decision i just saw that man get his *!$ whooped the ENTIRE fight by JMM (along with thousands of booing fans in attendance) and they gave him a unanimous decision
grin.gif

Originally Posted by tyisny

If his fight with Manny is close Manny will def get the decision i just saw that man get his *!$ whooped the ENTIRE fight by JMM (along with thousands of booing fans in attendance) and they gave him a unanimous decision
grin.gif

That was a travesty
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

He fought with one wrist.
I dont give a @$@* if he fought the whole fight on his knees. He still lost that fight in the eyes of everyone who watched it except for people who have Pacman blinders on. Hell even Khan said he lost that fight while doing commentary for it on the British feed I was watching for that fight and he trains with Pacquio and Roach. He even went so far as to throw out a challenge right before the decision was handed down to JMM since he "Won" the fight he just watched.

And then the decision came down and all you heard was "Wow"

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Originally Posted by H TOWN HUSTLER

He fought with one wrist.
I dont give a @$@* if he fought the whole fight on his knees. He still lost that fight in the eyes of everyone who watched it except for people who have Pacman blinders on.

There it is.

I brought up those %'s just to show that Floyd's accuracy was not where it usually is in this fight. It's great that you pulled out the stats from the other fights. Perhaps it isn't really fair to give much weight to the Marquez fight, he was undersized after all. Floyd definitely took advantage of his height and reach advantage in addition to coming in overweight. So let's take that one out and just look at the rest. The average of 39%, 44%, and 35% is 39.33%. We compare that to 26%, there's a pretty big difference. Floyd has to adjust to his opponent and approach each one differently, I never denied that. When he fought Hatton, he was considered dangerous. He had to be more cautious, but he noticed that he leaves his chin exposed at all times. So he preyed on the right opportunity and it paid off. The Shane Mosley he fought could not beat Sergio Mora 5 months later, enough said. Victoria Ortiz, he solved his puzzle almost right after the opening bell and it was clear he had no respect for him. Had the fight continued, he would have connected at a higher percentage as the fight went on. Still 35% isn't as far off as 26%. 
If Floyd was able to land like he usually does, he would not have thrown as many vs Cotto simple as that. Any boxer would tell you that it is more exhausting to miss a punch than to land one. You think that at 35, he wants to waste unnecessary energy? So you believe that Floyd threw more punches while connecting at a lower percentage and took more punishment just to be more crowd pleasing? If that was his plan, he should have KTFO Cotto and that probably was what he had in mind it just didn't happen because he could not connect at his usual percentage. 

Boxers do tweak their styles, but it usually is not significant. Watch some amateurs who turned pro. You might see some slight improvements, but the way they go about their fights is the same. Only one I see significant difference in is Pacquiao, which is why the Mayweather's suspect he's using steroids. As for Floyd Mayweather Jr., perhaps he did want to make this fight more exciting. But
he takes the most pride in his superb defense and accuracy, and if it comes at that price he would not make the sacrifice just to be exciting. His objective is to win and take the least hits while doing so.  It doesn't matter how his fights go, the world will still tune in to watch.

How about you take your own advice and think for yourself and do your own research instead of taking everything Mayweather says at face value? If he does not look as good as he usually does of course he's going to come up with some reasoning. Anyway I'm through talking to you about this fight. Maybe I'll see you again for Pacquiao vs Bradley. You probably don't consider Bradley to be elite either.
i did my own research lol..it backs up my argument. you didn't. you still don't have any facts, besides the 26%. 
When has Cotto ever been considered an opponent to drop someones percentages? never

When has Mayweather ever been considered to do something to increase his money? always

you don't have concrete evidence that Cotto caused Mayweather's accuracy to fall down.

I have 5 fights of Mayweathers accuracy continuing to decrease because he's starting to throw more and more,

only to generate more excitement, to bring in the money.

As soon as the fight is over Mayweather always states "I'd like to thank all the fans that bought the PPV"

lol...he cares about the Money, (ala his nickname "money mayweather") just as much as he cares about the W.

he can make any fight as boring as he wants, he is choosing not to.

He's getting the W, making it a lil more exciting by letting his hands loose, and being less greedy with his defense/ring generalship.

Your banking on Cotto, i'm banking on Money. #'s don't lie. ever since he became less of a boxing perfectionist his $ went up.

He just broke the record for the guaranteed pay day. 32 million. 

Every one wins...Boxing enthusiast such as yourself gets a display of good boxing, regular fans get excitement, and money gets money.

you should give up, you have nothing to say.

Cotto lost to Pac and MM, he's great, not elite. 

[h1]Floyd Mayweather does $94M in PPV[/h1]

Updated: May 11, 2012, 4:02 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

They don't call Floyd Mayweather Jr. "Money" for nothing.

Mayweather's junior middleweight title victory against Miguel Cotto on HBO PPV last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas generated a whopping 1.5 million pay-per-view buys and $94 million in domestic pay-per-view revenue, HBO Sports announced Friday.

The performance ranks as the second-highest grossing pay-per-view for a non-heavyweight fight in history.

[+] Enlarge
Al Bello/Getty ImagesFloyd Mayweather Jr. celebrates after claiming Miguel Cotto's belt via unanimous decision.

No. 1 all-time remains Mayweather's 2007 victory against Oscar De La Hoya, in which he also claimed a junior middleweight belt. That fight generated all-time records for any weight class with 2.46 million buys and $137 million in pay-per-view revenue.

The 1.5 million figure for Mayweather-Cotto will grow once all of the numbers are accounted for, according to Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, who promoted the fight with Mayweather Promotions.

"The 1.5 million number is actual reported numbers," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "The final number will definitely be bigger than what it is now."

In nine HBO PPV main events, Mayweather has generated 9.6 million buys and $543 million in television revenue, according to HBO.

Mayweather-Cotto moved past Mayweather's 2010 victory against Shane Mosley, which did 1.4 million buys and $78 million in revenue. Mayweather's knockout of Victor Ortiz in September sold 1.25 million subscriptions and generated $78.4 million. The higher revenue for the Ortiz fight is because the cost of the pay-per-view was higher.

"Floyd Mayweather's numbers are getting bigger and bigger and this number shows you the kind of draw he is," Schaefer said. "He's a superstar and able to capture the interest of a large audience. He has broken out of the boxing following and now has a mainstream following that is unmatched in the sport. The numbers keep getting bigger and bigger."

According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Mayweather-Cotto also had the ninth-biggest gate in state history, generating $12,000,150 from 14,612 tickets sold.

HBO will replay Mayweather's decision victory against Cotto on Saturday night, along with junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez's decision win against Shane Mosley, which was the co-feature of the card.

Originally Posted by Demps

and paquia still feels he deserves 50/50 lol
that's why the fight isnt going to happen.
for the money Floyd brings to table, he deserves more. just look at the numbers Pac is gonna do next month
ohwell.gif

floyd can fight roy jones jr tomorrow and still do crazy PPV buys
laugh.gif
. he knows how to promote and get people hyped, plain and simple.

Back
Top Bottom