"Mayweather V. Cotto" *Official Thread* Who Are You Going For?

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

Originally Posted by Krazyrodzilla

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

That's what I'm saying. I've been watching boxing all my life basically and I've never seen Mayweather get hit like that except for Castillo and Corley (who hit him with one decent shot) he's still an excellent boxer, but you can see the speed isn't where it normally is.

You guys are missing the point, he WANTED TO FIGHT COTTO's fight! Like he said after the fight, he could of easily went back to his "boring" boxing and picked him a part as he normally does in every fight. He WANTED to go toe to toe to give the fans an exciting fight. If anything, this should show you his true greatness, fighting another man's fight and still winning. He didn't get hit with that many clean shots at all. Most of those shots against the ropes were rolled off. Think ppl were just freaking out because he got jab to the hose and was bleeding.

laugh.gif
if you really believed him saying he fought that way to give the fans a more action packed fight. He said that to save face. I am equally a fan of both fighters. Cotto just stepped his game up and caught Mayweather off guard that is all.
Pac does the same thing. he lets the other guy get a few hits in, in order to have him open up...tires the opponent out, and then picks him apart.
Ali did it. Why is it so hard to believe?

Mayweather won the first 6, rested the next 3 (looked like he was tired), but then came back looking all refreshed for the remainder of the fight. Cotto got tired at the end..and nearly got knocked out. 

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

You guys are missing the point, he WANTED TO FIGHT COTTO's fight! Like he said after the fight, he could of easily went back to his "boring" boxing and picked him a part as he normally does in every fight. He WANTED to go toe to toe to give the fans an exciting fight. If anything, this should show you his true greatness, fighting another man's fight and still winning. He didn't get hit with that many clean shots at all. Most of those shots against the ropes were rolled off. Think ppl were just freaking out because he got jab to the hose and was bleeding.

laugh.gif
if you really believed him saying he fought that way to give the fans a more action packed fight. He said that to save face. I am equally a fan of both fighters. Cotto just stepped his game up and caught Mayweather off guard that is all.
roll.gif
 That's what i'm saying, you really think Mayweather took that huge of a risk to win fans? 
I think you guys are misreading what Floyd was saying. He's not saying he got hit or made it a close fight or whatever just to win fans. He wasn't taking credit away from Cotto. He's just saying, if he wanted to, he could've fought back pedaling all night and made it a REALLY boring fight and won via decision. He could do this against everyone with his combination of foot speed, defense, stamina, and ring generalship. It's like fighters going for the KO when they could just win decisions. 

Also, I hate talking about Pacquiao but we basically need to any time him and Floyd have a common opponent. Not only was Cotto coming off a catchweight but he was basically training himself for that fight. He just switched trainers and his head trainer had very little experience. Obviously, Cotto shouldn't be taking the biggest fight of his life with a bad trainer and a draining catchweight, but it happened. Maybe if they fight today at 154, it goes differently. Maybe not. 

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

If Mayweather would've fought Cotto in 2007 he would've won by KO in 6 rounds . Cotto was way too wild back then and would've got caught. IMO Cotto is a better overall fighter now than he was back then .

Haha 6 rounds??? And ya'll make fun on pac stans. Ya'll are just as worse

Originally Posted by blazinRook

laugh.gif
Pac does the same thing. he lets the other guy get a few hits in, in order to have him open up...tires the opponent out, and then picks him apart.

Mayweather won the first 6, rested the next 3 (looked like he was tired), but then came back looking all refreshed for the remainder of the fight. Cotto got tired at the end..and nearly got knocked out. 
indifferent.gif
Pacquiao fights that way because that's the way he fights. Floyd does not fight that way, his objective is to not get hit and throw razor sharp punches when the best opportunities present themselves. He has the skills to do so, other fighters do not. Ali did pay when he tried that against the wrong opponent. In this sport all it takes is one punch, someone as skillful as Mayweather would not risk that. The rounds that most people saw Cotto winning were one of the first 6, and three consecutive rounds somewhere from 6-9. Floyd did not purposely take a break for one round, let alone three consecutive rounds. Do you know how stupid that sounds??? When he lost 1 round to Sugar Shane he made it a point to shut him out in the very next to bring the momentum back to his side. And Cotto did get caught, but he would never get knocked out cold not even from accumulation of punches from Pacquiao or Plaster hands Margarito.

It's times like these that I find entertainment on NT boxing threads. Guys who come out twice a year to watch PPV fights become experts all of a sudden.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by shogun

Who's the guy to the left of Floyd?  He looks like he can be related to Tyson.

Yuriorkis Gamboa, he's a Cuban boxer. He may not be related to Tyson, but he has Tyson's knockout power.
pimp.gif
He does not have Tyson's KO power. (Not even close)
And Yuri is one of my favorite fighters right now.

Winky should have won, and to make matters worse they did open scoring, i've never seen that.

I agree Winky was winning heading into the 12th...but he screwed himself over by not fighting and assuring himself the decision.

Freak destroyer- if you watch alot of Floyd fights it would be easy to see that he fought this one diff....im not saying he let Miguel hit him on purpose but, Floyd was aa waaaaay more offensive fighter than he ever was before, hence giving cott more opportunity to counter and catch Floyd with his guard down...

I believe every word he said about putting on a show for the simple fact that he was the aggressor and deemed defense second, which goes against his style as a fighter...

It would of been nothing to keep his guard up, keep rolling his shoulder, and STRICTLY counter...he still would have won, but three average fans would of called it boring...

Don't sell this guy short, he's undefeated fora reason...

This new version of Floyd is a problem. More offensive aggressiveness yet still maintaining most (but not all as that kind of attack simply doesn't allow for a complete defensive domination) of his defensive prowess. Even w/ Floyd leaving himself vulnerable Cotto's % was still horrible.

Yikes.

Originally Posted by VA757VA

Freak destroyer- if you watch alot of Floyd fights it would be easy to see that he fought this one diff....im not saying he let Miguel hit him on purpose but, Floyd was aa waaaaay more offensive fighter than he ever was before, hence giving cott more opportunity to counter and catch Floyd with his guard down...

I believe every word he said about putting on a show for the simple fact that he was the aggressor and deemed defense second, which goes against his style as a fighter...

It would of been nothing to keep his guard up, keep rolling his shoulder, and STRICTLY counter...he still would have won, but three average fans would of called it boring...

Don't sell this guy short, he's undefeated fora reason...

Yes Mayweather clearly won, no doubt. Like I said I am a fan of both fighters in the same capacity. But Floyd did not look the same because Cotto improved in a lot of areas. In other words, I'm saying hats off to Cotto and Pedro Diaz without discrediting Mayweather in anyway.

Originally Posted by Marvin Hagler

Originally Posted by shogun

Who's the guy to the left of Floyd?  He looks like he can be related to Tyson.

Yuriorkis Gamboa, he's a Cuban boxer. He may not be related to Tyson, but he has Tyson's knockout power.
pimp.gif

You're right he does not have Heavyweight KO power. I got carried away. But we can't help but to see flashez of Tyson in him.

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif
Pacquiao fights that way because that's the way he fights. Floyd does not fight that way, his objective is to not get hit and throw razor sharp punches when the best opportunities present themselves. He has the skills to do so, other fighters do not. Ali did pay when he tried that against the wrong opponent. In this sport all it takes is one punch, someone as skillful as Mayweather would not risk that. The rounds that most people saw Cotto winning were one of the first 6, and three consecutive rounds somewhere from 6-9. Floyd did not purposely take a break for one round, let alone three consecutive rounds. Do you know how stupid that sounds??? When he lost 1 round to Sugar Shane he made it a point to shut him out in the very next to bring the momentum back to his side. And Cotto did get caught, but he would never get knocked out cold not even from accumulation of punches from Pacquiao or Plaster hands Margarito.

It's times like these that I find entertainment on NT boxing threads. Guys who come out twice a year to watch PPV fights become experts all of a sudden.
roll.gif
You are giving Cotto the benefit of the doubt, saying that out of all the fighters in the world, he is the only one who can penetrate Floyd's defense. Cotto's good, but he's not elite. 
I'd rather believe that Mayweather tweaked his fighting style to be less boring in order for the fans to deem it more entertaining. Floyd could have easily let Cotto not touch him. 

Even in between rounds, with Maywether's nose bleeding, he was smiling, like nothing was wrong.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Neither are facts. I'd rather believe in Mayweather then give Cotto the benefit of the doubt. 

-the PPV expert

pimp.gif

You're right he does not have Heavyweight KO power. I got carried away. But we can't help but to see flashez of Tyson in him.
We won't be seeing ANYTHING of Yuri for a while because of his Top Rank nonsense.
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

roll.gif
You are giving Cotto the benefit of the doubt, saying that out of all the fighters in the world, he is the only one who can penetrate Floyd's defense. Cotto's good, but he's not elite. 
I'd rather believe that Mayweather tweaked his fighting style to be less boring in order for the fans to deem it more entertaining. Floyd could have easily let Cotto not touch him. 

Even in between rounds, with Maywether's nose bleeding, he was smiling, like nothing was wrong.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Neither are facts. I'd rather believe in Mayweather then give Cotto the benefit of the doubt. 

-the PPV expert
How is Cotto not elite? He was r anked the #1 light middleweight before Floyd took his belts. And I did not say Cotto is the only fighter that can penetrate Mayweather's defense. I have a few names in mind, but just about all of them will never get a chance to fight Floyd anyway. I'm just saying Cotto did a tremendous job, but obviously not enough to even win 5 rounds, 4 rounds is very debatable. Let me ask you this why would Floyd lose 3 consecutive rounds to put on a show, does that sound logical to you?

We won't be seeing ANYTHING of Yuri for a while because of his Top Rank nonsense.
laugh.gif
I bet Ellerbe and the Money Team is trying to find some loophole. Hopefully we at least see more of his fellow Cubans.
nerd.gif

blazinRook wrote:

-the PPV expert
How is Cotto not elite? He was r anked the #1 light middleweight before Floyd took his belts. And I did not say Cotto is the only fighter that can penetrate Mayweather's defense. I have a few names in mind, but just about all of them will never get a chance to fight Floyd anyway. I'm just saying Cotto did a tremendous job, but obviously not enough to even win 5 rounds, 4 rounds is very debatable. Let me ask you this why would Floyd lose 3 consecutive rounds to put on a show, does that sound logical to you?

He's not elite, because he didn't beat Mayweather and Pacquiao lol. Cotto is better than most. 
Its not like Floyd went out there and said, I'm going to purposely lose 3 consecutive rounds. he just tweaked his fighting style. almost relaxed off his Defense, at least from what I saw.

I thought Cotto was finally wearing him down too, but Mayweather came back the last 3 like nothing phased him at all. 

And Cotto looked wobbily...

A lot of boxing has to do with mental strategy. wouldn't you want your opponent to think your feeling weak, in order for him to use a lot of his energy to try to knock you out? It felt like Mayweather was doing that, only to turn it back up in the end. 

[h2]Dan Rafael Blog[/h2]

[h1]Hand issues, cold don't stop Floyd[/h1]
May, 7, 2012
May 7

9:09

AM ET

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- In the week leading up to Saturday's Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Miguel Cotto junior middleweight title bout, I had heard rumors that Mayweather had suffered some sort of hand or wrist injury.

Last Tuesday, I spoke to Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser, about it and emailed Golden Boy promoter Richard Schaefer. They both vehemently denied there was any issue with Mayweather's hand.

Ellerbe called me to refute the rumor. Schaefer more forcefully denied the issue in an email, writing, "Absolutely NOTHING wrong. Floyd is perfect and ready to go. These are all bull---- rumors."

Of course, with a huge fight a few days away, I wouldn't have expected them to come clean with me anyway.

Well, it turned out the rumors were true, that Mayweather did have a hand problem. It also turned out that he was a bit under the weather, making his unanimous decision win against Cotto (in a grueling action fight) all that more impressive.

At the final news conference on Wednesday, Mayweather sounded as if he had a bit of a cold. He said it was because he had just woken to come to the news conference.

During the postfight news conference, however, Mayweather came clean. He said he had been ill and had suffered a left hand injury during his training camp. But he refused to withdraw from the fight.

"I came into the fight weighing 147 [pounds], so I was four pounds lighter than I was [at Friday's weigh-in]," said Mayweather, whose cold caused him to lose weight after the weigh-in.

Cotto weighed 154 pounds -- the division limit -- and put on several pounds after the weigh-in, giving him a distinct weight advantage in the ring.

"I was kinda sick and I was having hand problems," Mayweather said. "So I said, you know what, I still was training in the gym but I was using my hands real light. I didn't get to box the last week like I wanted to. So, you know, things happen. But the main thing is, we got the victory and that's the most important thing."

Because he wants to stay sharp, Mayweather usually has his last sparring session on the Thursday before a fight. But he cut his sparring short by several days for the Cotto fight to preserve his hands, which he said he had to ice regularly. Mayweather has had hand problems throughout his career, although not in recent fights -- none that he has acknowledged, anyway.

"I sucked it up and went out there and did what I had to do," Mayweather said.

Remember in the 90's when there were rumors that the Chicago Bulls purposely lost a game here and there to extend the playoff series, when they could've easily swept the opposing team? See that was actually plausible because in that game, you don't get knocked out from one punch. 
laugh.gif
If Mayweather loses a round, best believe he's trying his best to come back in the next. So everyone not named Mayweather and Pacquiao are not elite? Are you one of those guys who thought that a "washed up" 38 year old went toe to toe with Manny Pacquiao?
No hard feelings, we're having a friendly conversation here. 

Remember in the 90's when there were rumors that the Chicago Bulls purposely lost a game here and there to extend the playoff series, when they could've easily swept the opposing team? See that was actually plausible because in that game, you don't get knocked out from one punch. 
laugh.gif
If Mayweather loses a round, best believe he's trying his best to come back in the next. So everyone not named Mayweather and Pacquiao are not elite? Are you one of those guys who thought that a "washed up" 38 year old went toe to toe with Manny Pacquiao?
No hard feelings, we're having a friendly conversation here. 
i think Mayweather is smart enough to not put himself in that much risk. most of cotto's hard hits were jabs/straights. which are not knock out punches. 
Mayweather could afford to lose a couple rounds in the middle knowing that he took the first 5-6. i'm sure he can keep count. May= 5-6 first rounds, cotto = 2-3...ok let me turn it up now, which he did. 

Mayweather does not need to win every round. He needs to win the overall fight. i stand by my argument.

And if you are going to bring basketball into the discussion.

Do you still not know the meaning of elite?

kobe, lebron, durant, wade = elite

melo= a lot better than most but not elite (Cotto)

and then everyone else falls into place.

friendly discussion but you calling me PPV boy, and one of those guys...lol

I understand your argument, but it's weak. Being a fan of a sport longer than someone else does not mean you understand it better than another individual. 

you ever watch "Good Will Hunting"? Matt Damon's girl is studying Organic Chemistry and he ends up tutoring her because he's able to pick up the concept faster than she can. Right now your the girl, and I'm Matt Damon. I just pick up the concept of boxing faster than you can. its ok, she's attractive and ends up going to Stanford for Medical School..not saying the same will happen to you, but keep studying boxing, and hopefully you'll understand it better..someday

Why would Floyd Mayweather of all people play possum?
laugh.gif
He is the biggest perfectionist in the sport. The only rounds he would "lose" is round 1-3 or so in most of his fights. Those are his feel out rounds, but he still keeps it close. Usually brawlers with tough chins and great power, but less skill like to play that game. Let the opponent throw all he has and when he tires out, throw a bomb right at his chin. I am not trying to come off as a boxing elitist, but this happens during every big fight. Some people who know next to nothing about the sport, come in here and say the most foolish things. My argument was not "You don't know shhh about boxing"- Roger Mayweather. If you were more familiar about how Floyd Mayweather fights and thinks as well as about this sport in general, most likely you would not buy what he said during his post fight interview.  It's no coincidence that the regular boxing fans in here instantly called his bluff. If you want to label who is elite in boxing, can you name 5 boxers in the top 10 P4P list without looking it up? 

laugh.gif
I bet Ellerbe and the Money Team is trying to find some loophole. Hopefully we at least see more of his fellow Cubans.
nerd.gif

Arum doesn't leave loopholes.  That's why Donaire stayed.  That's why Manny stayed.  Gamboa is just killing his career.

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

It ain't happening.
Yuri supposedly signed a new contract with Top Rank and Arena Box (through Ahmet Oner).

And I think they're banking on the fact that Top Rank and Arena Box breached Yuri's contract or something like that...

Why would Floyd Mayweather of all people play possum?
laugh.gif
He is the biggest perfectionist in the sport. The only rounds he would "lose" is round 1-3 or so in most of his fights. Those are his feel out rounds, but he still keeps it close. Usually brawlers with tough chins and great power, but less skill like to play that game. Let the opponent throw all he has and when he tires out, throw a bomb right at his chin. I am not trying to come off as a boxing elitist, but this happens during every big fight. Some people who know next to nothing about the sport, come in here and say the most foolish things. My argument was not "You don't know shhh about boxing"- Roger Mayweather. If you were more familiar about how Floyd Mayweather fights and thinks as well as about this sport in general, most likely you would not buy what he said during his post fight interview.  It's no coincidence that the regular boxing fans in here instantly called his bluff. If you want to label who is elite in boxing, can you name 5 boxers in the top 10 P4P list without looking it up? 
being a perfectionist is boring.
Floyd knows that, so he tweaked his style to make it more interesting.

Do you not think that Mayweather can prevent anyone from touching him?

Thats one of the things he is known for..and I believe he could have done this easily for 12 rounds against Cotto. 

I am familiar with how Floyd fights. We can both agree that he fought differently. 

You're arguing that Cotto had something to do with it..I'm arguing that he didn't.

You can't even define elite. 

Floyd approached the fight with more than just boxing in mind. He went for the win, for the PPV $, and he

wanted to give the fans what they want to see so they can continue to buy his PPV of his future fights. (because no one wants to pay $ for a boring fighter whose perfection brings wins but no excitement).

I have no doubt, that if he ever fights Pac, he's going to be on his backpeddling defense all 12. With Cotto, he doesn't need to do that. 

I can't name 5 p4p fighters, but it doesn't discredit my opinion's validity. 

Originally Posted by Proshares

laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Arum doesn't leave loopholes.  That's why Donaire stayed.  That's why Manny stayed.  Gamboa is just killing his career.
Floyd found a buyout clause, though.

Back
Top Bottom