Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | A Hideo Kojima Game

100 Little Details in Metal Gear Solid V That Will Blow Your Mind

1. When you leave a mission area, you don't leave D-Horse behind. He's equipped with his own automatic Fulton device, and flies away.

2. If Big Boss gets severely injured on a mission, he will be hooked up to a blood bag in the helicopter between missions.

3. If you stun or tranquilize an enemy and they fall into a puddle of water, they will drown.

4. You can prevent a Fulton extraction by just shooting the balloon.

5. Dialogue of soldiers speaking languages other than English won't be subtitled unless you've extracted an interpreter, so interrogating them for information is useless until then.

6. Despite being a scripted event, the first time you're injured during the opening/tutorial sequence, the injury alert sound plays to teach you what that sound means.
Metal Gear Solid 5 Easter Egg: Snake Needs a Shower
00:46

7. If Big Boss goes days without showering, enemies will smell him and investigate the area. Wild animals may even think he's dead.

8. At some point, not showering will trigger a scene where Ocelot throws water on him.

9. Another way to wash blood off of you besides showering is walking around in the rain.

10. If you tranq Ocelot repeatedly, he has a variety of custom dialogue, including... "La Li Lu Le Lo."

11. If you Fulton away a base’s stuff and then return later, guards will have custom dialogue complaining about getting in trouble for the missing equipment.

12. Cardboard boxes will start to fall apart in the rain. This can be distressing to the guard trying to ogle the pin-up poster on your box.

13. You can sled down slopes while wearing the cardboard box in the prone position.

14. The various signs around Mother Base are modeled after some notable characters: construction signs have Paz on them, the warning signs on the brig have Quiet, etc.
The Most Brutally Powerful Weapons in Metal Gear Solid 5
10:34

15. The fastest way to travel around Mother Base is actually to mail yourself to the other platforms. Just sit on a delivery point while in a cardboard box and you can be hand delivered to another area fairly quickly.

16. You can also deliver yourself across different enemy outposts by grabbing invoices from desired delivery points and having the right type of cardboard box.

17. If you happen to destroy the comms equipment from the mission C2W in free roam before accepting the mission, the mission will end during the opening credits, with a surprised Kaz congratulating you on being so efficient.

18. Guards actually change shifts in 12 hour intervals. This movement can make missions easier or more challenging for Big Boss.

19. If a wild dog attacks and pins you while you have DD as a buddy, he will leap to your rescue automatically if you don't follow the button prompts to escape.
What's Your Coolest Metal Gear Solid V War Story? - Up At Noon
07:45

20. If you incapacitate a guard while they are in the middle of reporting in on radio, the person on the other end will notice the transmission cut out and send someone to investigate.

21. Pointing a flashlight at a guard with night vision goggles on will temporarily blind them.

22. Tank drivers will honk their horns to wake up any nearby allies who have been put to sleep.

23. You can Fulton a cargo container and quickly hop on to ride it back to the ACC for a fast getaway.

24. Dropping a supply crate on an enemy's head knocks them out, and is a great way of taking out some of the tougher adversaries undetected.

25. You can blow the treads off a tank with C4 a la Saving Private Ryan and immobilize it.
The Water Pistol in Metal Gear 5 is Actually Useful?
03:47

26. You can use the water gun to fry electronic equipment on enemy bases without having to blow them up and risk detection.

27. You can also use the water gun to put out fires and make outposts darker at night.

28. If you try to use the water gun on the Man on Fire, Ocelot will call and tell you that isn't enough water to take him down.

29. You can actually drive through trees and telephone poles.

30. You can melee enemies from a prone position, but it takes several hits to stun them, and you look really stupid doing it
31. You can throw enemies at other enemies to stun them.

32. If you call in an air strike of sleep gas, and don’t wait long enough for it to clear, you’ll knock yourself unconscious.

33. You can mount D-Horse while running and it won't break your stride, which is great for making a quick getaway.

34. Injuring your Buddy on missions lowers your bond level with them, even if it’s an accident.

35. Increasing your bond level with D-Horse will eventually earn you the "poop on command" skill for D-Horse, which does exactly what it says.

36. Leaving horse droppings in the road will cause vehicles to swerve when driving over it.

37. Snake gets a cake and a cigar on the birthdate you enter at the beginning of the game.
Metal Gear Solid 5 - Easter Egg: Snake's Birthday (Possible Spoilers)
03:15

38. Your buddies aren't invisible to enemies. If an enemy comes to investigate where you're hiding and finds DD or D-Horse instead, they'll try to shoo them away.

39. The animals you Fulton out of combat zones actually do appear in a zoo/conservatory on Mother Base.

40. You can find and pick medicinal plants growing in your animal conservatory on Mother Base.

41. You can unlock a "Sniper Wolf" uniform for Quiet.

42. If you kill too many people or build too many nukes, the little stud on Snake’s head will start growing into a horn

43. Both male and female Mother Base soldiers you take out on missions have voices when they interrogate enemies.

44. If you've been getting a lot of headshots on enemies, they'll respond by wearing helmets. Same with kevlar vests for chest shots or night vision if you infiltrate frequently at night.

45. If your MO involves sniping, enemies soldiers will start bringing out the binoculars more often.
Episode 11: Cloaked in Silence - Metal Gear Solid 5 S-Rank Walkthrough
21:30

46. To easily capture the wandering Mother Base soldiers, you can play the Love Deterrence tape using your cassette player's speakers and they'll come right over.

47. There is an audio tape of a soldier struggling to go to the bathroom. Play it when Big Boss is in a portable toilet, and guards won't investigate. Is this Metal Gear Solid 5's inevitable Johnny Sasaki cameo?

48. You can place one extra bullet in the chamber of your gun by reloading when it's fully loaded.

49. If you have a soldier held up for too long, they might try to attack you with a knife.

50. Missions have tons of optional objectives that aren't revealed until you complete them, encouraging exploration.

51. Playing the tape of Quiet's humming will steady your aim.

52. Playing the “Enemy Eliminated” tape through your cassette player's speakers will cause enemies to stop pursuing you.

53. You can knock out soldiers by throwing magazines at their heads in reflex mode, which results in a satisfying ting sound.

54. You can put C4 on soldiers' butts just like in Metal Gear Solid 1.

55. DD will sometimes howl in victory when you capture an outpost together.

Metal Gear Solid 5 - Buddy Guide: D-Dog
04:10

56. Sometimes if an enemy spots you in the cardboard box, they'll report it to their commanders, who will tell them to stop messing around.

57. If the soldier comes to investigate anyway and you've abandoned the box, they'll report that it was just a cardboard box. Command Post will tell them to schedule a psych evaluation.

58. Sometimes throwing a grenade into a group of enemies will prompt one soldier to jump on top of it to save the others.

59. You can command D-Horse to stay in the middle of the road while you find a hiding spot, which is a good way to stop vehicles without alerting enemies,

60. In the first mission, Kaz might repeatedly ask Big Boss to "say the magic words." While there's no button prompt for it, pressing the action button will make Big Boss respond.

61. Calling in your helicopter will clear the smoke from a smoke grenade.

62. You can still score a headshot on an enemy with a helmet or shield by aiming specifically between the eyes or other gaps in their armor.

63. Other enemies can hear when your bullet ricochets off someone's helmet, so aim carefully!

64. A radio in Angola plays the news report that loops in Kojima’s PT.

65. If there are animals, like D-Horse or wild sheep, blocking a truck in the road, the driver will roll down the window to yell at them, which is the perfect time to shoot.

66. If you kick an enemy on the ground enough times, you will actually kill them.

67. Wild animals can attack enemy soldiers too.

68. Some soldiers on Mother Base have a Troublemaker skill, which will cause them to bully other soldiers and send them to the sick bay.

69. The Kojima Productions flyer in the hospital features Snake and lists the booth number for the real-world GDC 2013 recruitment station.

70. There are tons of literary references in The Phantom Pain. The code names Ahab and Ishmael, the fact that you take a whaling ship to Afghanistan, and the name of your support chopper, Pequod, are all references to Moby ****.

71. 1984 is referenced via the "Big Boss is Watching You" posters and the fact that, when shot with a tranq, Ocelot sometimes mutters, "2+2=5." The game also takes place in 1984.

72. Lord of the Flies is referenced with Eli, who is located near a collection of severed pig heads and who keeps a conch shell strapped to his belt.

73. If you shoot the pig head near Eli's chair, it'll oink.

74. Quiet will begin flirting with you in the helicopter if you stare at her long enough.

75. Beating up guards on Mother Base boosts staff morale.

76. If you're running with DD and switch which shoulder the camera should be fixed on, DD will switch sides so he's still in view.

77. There's a way to hide knocked out enemies in plain sight without alerting his fellow soldiers – just place the unconscious soldier on a bed.

78. You can Fulton an enemy tank even with soldiers inside it if you sneak up to it unseen.

Fultoning a Tank Squad in Metal Gear Solid 5
10:38

79. Interrogating your own men on Mother Base can lead to some useful info, like how to counter enemy tech or the locations of stashed diamonds on base.

80. There's extremely tiny writing on DD's eyepatch. It says: "KONGOU Military Supply Co., Ltd. - High Performance Dog Gear - GREAT HOWL Series."

81. You can electrocute yourself on downed power lines.

82. The sound from The Six Million Dollar Man plays when you punch soldiers with the bionic arm.

83. You can knock out soldiers by activating a decoy that they're standing on top of.

84. Scare away guards trying to investigate your area by playing the bear sounds cassette tape on your speakers.

85. If you stand next to the "Caution: Falling boxes" signs around Mother Base, a box will fall on you and knock you out.

86. On fire? Stop, drop, and roll.

87. Sometimes you can hear female soldiers on Mother Base asking each other if they're "Team Miller" or "Team Ocelot."

88. Playing utility tapes too often will eventually cause them to break.

89. If you electrocute enemies with the stun arm, nearby soldiers will ask each other if they "smell something."

90. People react differently to being Fulton extracted. Enemy soldiers who are awake will be scared, prisoners who are being rescued will let out an excited "woo hoo!" and so on.

Metal Gear in Real Life: Will it Fulton? - Up at Noon
07:00

91. You can take out enemy helicopters by planting C4 on a vehicle, Fulton extracting it right under the chopper, and then detonating when it's in the air.

92. Nuclear deterrence isn't just a concept discussed in this series. In Metal Gear Solid 5, it's actually a core part of the game's system once you develop the ability to build nukes on your Forward Operating Base.

93. If it begins to rain, enemy soldiers may react accordingly by moving under shelter.

94. Wearing a shield while riding the D-Walker provides cover for your back.

95. Lisa, the ghost from PT, is available as an active decoy.

96. Smoke grenades won't create a large cloud if thrown into a puddle. If the water's deep enough, they might not even go off at all.

97. Photographs are added (or removed) from your support helicopter as you progress through the game.

98. There's a very important scene hidden away through a door on Mother Base's medical platform.

99. The flowers in the hospital room at the start of the game are a very special kind, the importance of which will only be understood by those who played Metal Gear Solid 3.

100. There's a special cutscene in the game that requires every Metal Gear Solid 5 player with a Forward Operating Base to work together to unlock. (This will never be unlocked. Discovered in the PC game files)

Pretty dope. A few of these I knew already but there was a lot of new info. Here's a video I found with some more useful tips that people might not know about

Ya'll can't just be accepting these "reports" as fact. Check sources and links after reading articles.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8262855/new-metal-gear-2015-konami-hiring

http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/spe/...268489302&cm_mc_sid_50340000|knm02=1426848930

http://www.konami.jp/osirase/150320/

Just use Google to translate the pages in Japanese. They're literally hiring for a new Metal Gear project but these bloggers want to just make **** up for clicks like they always do. The only thing true is that the FOX Engine head has left, but that doesn't mean the FOX engine has somehow ceased to exist
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I have no idea what I'm doing. I just been trying to extract everything that moves :lol:

This game is epic beyond belief for me... Only other MGS I played was Peace Walker tho... I don't know, I don't care, it's awesome...

the flowers in the beginning at the hospital were from the same flower field where snake kills big boss in mgs 3 
nthat.gif

Snake killed Big Boss in MGS3?

CE65CFXUkAE4t9X.jpg
Big Boss was Naked Snake's mentor. It wasn't until he killed her when he finally got the title of the new "Big Boss"

In terms of the story line, MGS 5 takes place after MGS 3. In MGS 5, you play as Venom Snake which is Naked Snake/Real Big Boss impersonator.

Hate how when YouTube suggests videos with spoilers on the title. :smh:

Gotta finish Arkham Knight and get this game asap.

Ya'll can't just be accepting these "reports" as fact. Check sources and links after reading articles.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8262855/new-metal-gear-2015-konami-hiring

http://www.konami.co.jp/job/jk/spe/...268489302&cm_mc_sid_50340000|knm02=1426848930

http://www.konami.jp/osirase/150320/

Just use Google to translate the pages in Japanese. They're literally hiring for a new Metal Gear project but these bloggers want to just make **** up for clicks like they always do. The only thing true is that the FOX Engine head has left, but that doesn't mean the FOX engine has somehow ceased to exist
laugh.gif
repped, true.  Not sure how I feel about a Metal Gear title without Kojima, sounds like Konami didn't even let him finish V.  That's his baby, for more than 25 years!  

Man, this game is so extensive and time consuming, but I love it. Well worth the money paid. I'm glad I didn't miss out on getting DDog. I wanted to get that highly trained soldier in the sideop but after I extracted the translator, that op disappeared

repped, true.  Not sure how I feel about a Metal Gear title without Kojima, sounds like Konami didn't even let him finish V.  That's his baby, for more than 25 years!  

Rising was made without Kojima and it came out well. My only problem was that it used the trash Platinum Games engine but they already expressed interest in a sequel with the FOX engine.

After The Phantom Pain's terrible twist ending, I don't mind if Kojima isn't involved with future installments :lol:

Man, this game is so extensive and time consuming, but I love it. Well worth the money paid. I'm glad I didn't miss out on getting DDog. I wanted to get that highly trained soldier in the sideop but after I extracted the translator, that op disappeared
Was that the little puppy in one of the early missions? I extracted some puppy and Ocelot said he'd look after him for me. I'm so confused with this game
laugh.gif

Was that the little puppy in one of the early missions? I extracted some puppy and Ocelot said he'd look after him for me. I'm so confused with this game :lol:

Yea that was him. After about 10 missions you'll get a message from Ocelot telling you to come back to Motherbase to see him. He'll be fully grown and you can take him out on missions with you

Been a couple days since I played because of The Taken King. I caught a S on my first Chapter 2 mission and did some FOB. It's mad fun! I failed mad invasions  but still enjoyed myself lol.

Back
Top Bottom