'Mexican boxers are better than Filipinos'

Originally Posted by Proshares

No offense, but if you can only name one current Filipino boxer you shouldn't be commenting.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with his comments but I'll say that there is a bigger portion to examine from the Mexican side than that smaller contigent of Filipino boxers.

I'm no boxing expert but I came in to say the same thing

Mexico has a history of producing great boxers after great boxers. You can't say the same about the Philippines.
grin.gif

Flash Elorde, Pancho Villa, Luisito Espinosa, Gerry Penalosa. Philippine boxing has a very rich tradition. Maybe their history isn't as storied as Mexican boxing, but to assume Philippine boxing is just a one-trick pony is absurd. 

Mexico has a history of producing great boxers after great boxers. You can't say the same about the Philippines.
grin.gif

Flash Elorde, Pancho Villa, Luisito Espinosa, Gerry Penalosa. Philippine boxing has a very rich tradition. Maybe their history isn't as storied as Mexican boxing, but to assume Philippine boxing is just a one-trick pony is absurd. 

I honestly don't get why Filipinos get all this attention to begin with, both negative and positive.

We always get chided for over-celebrating our athletes and entertainers. Is it really THAT bad?

Do non-Filipinos understand what it's like to have ZERO role models with your ethnic group growing up other than your own family members?

Why is it so important to "put us back in our place"?

Don't let the Internet fool you: there aren't that many of us. So the fact that there are more "good" Mexican boxers than "good" Filipino boxers shouldn't be surprise to anybody. That's like saying there are more rich white people in America than rich black people.

I honestly don't get why Filipinos get all this attention to begin with, both negative and positive.

We always get chided for over-celebrating our athletes and entertainers. Is it really THAT bad?

Do non-Filipinos understand what it's like to have ZERO role models with your ethnic group growing up other than your own family members?

Why is it so important to "put us back in our place"?

Don't let the Internet fool you: there aren't that many of us. So the fact that there are more "good" Mexican boxers than "good" Filipino boxers shouldn't be surprise to anybody. That's like saying there are more rich white people in America than rich black people.

Originally Posted by BEAST MODE

grin.gif

maybe some see those names and assume they are mexicans
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BEAST MODE

grin.gif

maybe some see those names and assume they are mexicans
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

True but perhaps there are other avenue for Filipino fighters to pursue that are more prevelant, such as Kickboxing, Muy Thai, etc.
laugh.gif
 Ok so who are some top ranked Filipino Muay Thai fighters?
Name me some non-Thai Muay Thai fighters...?

True but perhaps there are other avenue for Filipino fighters to pursue that are more prevelant, such as Kickboxing, Muy Thai, etc.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

laugh.gif
Almost every single kick boxer in the Netherlands.

And to the person who mentioned Brandon Vera
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 but thats still not a "name"

and correct me if I'm wrong but isnt MT and "kickboxing" not exactly the same?  I guess it depends on what kind of kickboxing you are talking about, but I thought the use of elbows and clinchwork was not as prevalant and/or allowed in kickboxing.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and correct me if I'm wrong but isnt MT and "kickboxing" not exactly the same?  I guess it depends on what kind of kickboxing you are talking about, but I thought the use of elbows and clinchwork was not as prevalant and/or allowed in kickboxing.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Names: Andy Souwer, Badr Hari, Remmy Bonjasky, Albert Kaurus, Semmy Schlit, Masato, Peter Aerts

MT is just a form of kickboxing really, which have a specific rules set, so Muay Thai really is just "Thai rules Kickboxing". In American kickboxing the rules are different but people learn MT kickboxing and fight in north American kickboxing all the time. MT rules allow elbows and clinch works. But For example San Shou allows every everything Muay Thai does plus takedowns. Shoot boxing includes everything plus standing submissions.And  K-1 alters it rules frequently, some periods it is every close to Muay Thai rules, but as soon as someone starts exploiting the rules and dominating they change them.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Names: Andy Souwer, Badr Hari, Remmy Bonjasky, Albert Kaurus, Semmy Schlit, Masato, Peter Aerts

MT is just a form of kickboxing really, which have a specific rules set, so Muay Thai really is just "Thai rules Kickboxing". In American kickboxing the rules are different but people learn MT kickboxing and fight in north American kickboxing all the time. MT rules allow elbows and clinch works. But For example San Shou allows every everything Muay Thai does plus takedowns. Shoot boxing includes everything plus standing submissions.And  K-1 alters it rules frequently, some periods it is every close to Muay Thai rules, but as soon as someone starts exploiting the rules and dominating they change them.

Back
Top Bottom