Michael Jordan now Wearing Skates?????????????

ept_sports_nhl_experts-285927875-1275328064.jpg

c43007bc0b18e330218575b57dbb851b-getty-100103968mh001_stanley_cup_.jpg

63c19cc9d1e59961e788747cd81f007f-getty-100019130mw002_philadelphia.jpg

CHICAGO - MAY 31: A staute of former Chicago Bull Michael Jordan stands outside of the United Center dressed in a Blackhawks uniform before Game Two of the 2010 NHL Stanley Cup Final between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Philadelphia Flyers on May 31, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois.

From the looks of things, NIKE and Brand Jordan didn't waste time in correcting that fashion faux pas. Via Puck Buddy MJ (no relation ... we think) comes news that Jordan the Statue is now sporting NIKE skates. Unless this is some craft Photoshop (and we'll be super-pissed if that's the case), it appears they placed a NIKE sticker over the Reebok logo but kept everything else as-is.
This comes a year after Jordan The Human covered up Reebok logos on his Blackhawks jersey while waving to the crowd at a playoff game.

Under normal circumstances, this would be a place to bemoan the corporatization of professional sports, to the point where sincere outpourings of community solidarity become contentious because one billion-dollar brand is given more prominence than another billion-dollar brand.

But c'mon: Who's dumb enough to believe Reebok anything on a Michael Jordan statue is going to last more than 48 hours? Did this person visit a sporting goods store in the last 25 years? There was a better chance of keeping a pink tutu on it than a giant Reebok logo ... although we are curious to see if the jersey's been Swooshed as well.

Im a huge blackhawks fan, but does anyone else find this disrespectful to mike? I mean it is kinda funny...but really?

If I was to go to Chicago, I would definitely want to take a pic or two of and with that Jordan monument. This is where it all happened, this is hollowed ground. Then you put a Blackhawks uniform on MJ's statue? That's just not right! That would definitely ruin my trip.

I understand the Blackhawks FINALLY made it back to the Stanley Cup finals but c'mon! Some things are better left alone!

I dont think its disrespectful.. its not like it was a permanent change.. the city is just happy lol

It's pretty funny IMO, as long as MJ is cool with it, I'm cool with it. Can he skate though lol

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

it's all good as long as they got his permission.

I agree. I live in the chicagoland area(chicago is 30 min from my house), and I've lived here for 22 almost 23 years now, and this statue is very close to my heart, and so are the blackhawks. I hope they do win the SC this year, they deserve it. it's been a long time since a professional sports team has won a championship in the united center, and if it has to be the hawks, then thats all good with me. I love the united center, and I love this statue.

Originally Posted by rjt420

mike could probably care less as long as he isnt defaced

true. after all, they did change the skates from reebok to nike.

Don't think it's disrespectful... should have knocked out a few of his front teeth to make it super authentic, kidding 
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom