Military blue 4s in 2021

I hear you. That must’ve been a gut punch when you saw/held the final product. I know it was for me and I wasn’t nearly as invested.

Honestly, and supermanblue79 supermanblue79 can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember a ton of complaining at the time. There wasn't a lot of #LeatherTalk or people busting out micrometers to worry about wing placement and speckle density back then. Most of us were just happy to see the return of an OG colorway that we never thought we'd get. It wasn't til a little bit down the road that more and more folks started pointing out how the quality could've been better.

If the rumor of another white cement release is true and assuming its gonna be similar to 85 Air Jordan I, bringing it even closer to OG form, then I am 100% in for this. If not, the hopes of someone unloading an 89 pair on eBay.

Honestly, and supermanblue79 supermanblue79 can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't remember a ton of complaining at the time. There wasn't a lot of #LeatherTalk or people busting out micrometers to worry about wing placement and speckle density back then. Most of us were just happy to see the return of an OG colorway that we never thought we'd get. It wasn't til a little bit down the road that more and more folks started pointing out how the quality could've been better.
I remember a lot of serious collectors giving up on jb around the time of that release. It was most certainly not well received, although I agree there wasn’t really a huge uproar about quality among the masses yet.
Anyone who had owned an og or a 99/2000 pair of 4s would’ve been extremely disappointed. It was such a shocking step down from those.

These flopped in ‘06 and ‘12 (?)
I took the Citrus 7 over the IV in ‘06.
Returned my ‘12 pair to the store where they sat. Just wasn’t feeling ‘em.
Not hyped for these.

I remember a lot of serious collectors giving up on jb around the time of that release. It was most certainly not well received, although I agree there wasn’t really a huge uproar about quality among the masses yet.
Anyone who had owned an og or a 99/2000 pair of 4s would’ve been extremely disappointed. It was such a shocking step down from those.

the 99 retro 4's were well made and quite comfortable. probably the best jordan retro's ever made IMO in terms of quality and comfort. they were just starting the retro thing at the time so the 4 and 5 were really well done. it's sad that the 06 and 12 were so disappointing in quality.

the 99 retro 4's were well made and quite comfortable. probably the best jordan retro's ever made IMO in terms of quality and comfort. they were just starting the retro thing at the time so the 4 and 5 were really well done.
Agreed
My 99 wht/cement 4s and my 00 metallic Vs were a benchmark. No other 4or5 retro has came close.

I've been doing this awhile, and would consider myself a "serious collector." Been on here since fall of 2000. I had and still have multiple pairs of 99's and 2000's that I've had since release day. I had the OG's back in the day as well, and still have nearly every OG pair I ever owned from the black 5 on up (missing my Militaries and lava Agassis that got thrown away). My avy was a DS OG pair that I had for years and just sold a couple years ago. To keep throwing blanket statements around like that is a little presumptuous. I'm not saying the 06 Militaries weren't lacking in quality, but personally, many of us were simply happy to have a wearable pair of a harder to find original color, since the push was more towards Retro + at the time. I got my pair a couple weeks early from overseas. I didn't inspect them with a fine toothed comb, I commenced to happily wearing the hell out of them.

Same here. And the wht cements....
Uppers are super clean, but the midsole are blown out. :rofl:
Yes dude they have leprosy, bits and pieces fallin off the midsole every time I move it lol
Same here the uppers are in great shape I just need to unyellow the netting.

I've been doing this awhile, and would consider myself a "serious collector." Been on here since fall of 2000. I had and still have multiple pairs of 99's and 2000's that I've had since release day. I had the OG's back in the day as well, and still have nearly every OG pair I ever owned from the black 5 on up (missing my Militaries and lava Agassis that got thrown away). My avy was a DS OG pair that I had for years and just sold a couple years ago. To keep throwing blanket statements around like that is a little presumptuous. I'm not saying the 06 Militaries weren't lacking in quality, but personally, many of us were simply happy to have a wearable pair of a harder to find original color, since the push was more towards Retro + at the time. I got my pair a couple weeks early from overseas. I didn't inspect them with a fine toothed comb, I commenced to happily wearing the hell out of them.
Ive been around since the nikepark days. Many were happy to have them and many of us were quite upset. It’s no different than today. There’s levels to what people will accept. Sorry if it seemed like I was making a blanket statement, but these were by no means accepted by everyone, even in 06.

Yes dude they have leprosy, bits and pieces fallin off the midsole every time I move it lol
Same here the uppers are in great shape I just need to unyellow the netting.

What process do you use to de-yellow the mesh? I need to de-yellow the sides of my 07 black/metallic 5's. :rolleyes

If the rumor of another white cement release is true and assuming its gonna be similar to 85 Air Jordan I, bringing it even closer to OG form, then I am 100% in for this. If not, the hopes of someone unloading an 89 pair on eBay.

I feel like there is no way they bring the white/cements back. They will be some sort of variation.

What process do you use to de-yellow the mesh? I need to de-yellow the sides of my 07 black/metallic 5's. :rolleyes
Oh man there are multiple ways nowadays but I won’t profess to be an expert. I haven’t done it in like 13 years using sea glow and I left my shoes in the sun for so long that the midsole gluing came undone. We didn’t know then that the heat is bad. So I recently got a uv grow light and will do it inside. But now instead of sea glow there are all kinds of “sole sauces” and just the Salan care volume 40 (peroxide lifter for hair) works great and also Angelus Sole Bright are two popular ones. You don’t have to apply much but I would still be careful on the black material! I’ve been learning a lot from my dude T_p_Hill over in the cleaning and maintenance thread! Also YouTube! I’m trying to convince Hill to start a YouTube channel showing his techniques for glowing up shoes he’s on a whole other level of ocd it’s great lol

Oh man there are multiple ways nowadays but I won’t profess to be an expert. I haven’t done it in like 13 years using sea glow and I left my shoes in the sun for so long that the midsole gluing came undone. We didn’t know then that the heat is bad. So I recently got a uv grow light and will do it inside. But now instead of sea glow there are all kinds of “sole sauces” and just the Salan care volume 40 (peroxide lifter for hair) works great and also Angelus Sole Bright are two popular ones. You don’t have to apply much but I would still be careful on the black material! I’ve been learning a lot from my dude T_p_Hill over in the cleaning and maintenance thread! Also YouTube! I’m trying to convince Hill to start a YouTube channel showing his techniques for glowing up shoes he’s on a whole other level of ocd it’s great lol

Gotcha! I've been using Plus White teeth whitening gel for my AF1/AJ1 midsoles for awhile. I tried it on the 5's once, but it didn't do too much. Didn't know if you had a simple method that worked well.

jshortt jshortt

I’m right there with you man...Wasn’t an immediate thing at all...I’m fact they went pretty fast around my way...

Been on this screen name since 2002...I didn’t inspect my pairs with a fine tooth comb either...But when I started getting paint chipping a flaking after a handful of wears I knew something was up...The Mars pair was a bunch of the same...That year was when I knew it was time to check out man...People were hyped on the colorway for sure but once that quality control starting showing up is when the complaints started...This was absolutely when that quality decline started and only got worse from there...

Now I only buy what I’ll wear...Totally because of those two pairs...My collection days are long gone by now 😂...

Last edited:
Ive been around since the nikepark days. Many were happy to have them and many of us were quite upset. It’s no different than today. There’s levels to what people will accept. Sorry if it seemed like I was making a blanket statement, but these were by no means accepted by everyone, even in 06.

I wasn't saying that. I know people disliked them at the time. I was saying that it wasn't some immediate gigantic pile-on talking about how the quality looks before the shoes even released like we have now. That, and it certainly wasn't like everyone passed. I know they sat in certain larger areas, but normal sizes were gone by the end of the weekend in the greater Cincinnati region.

History hasn't been kind to them, for sure, and I'd agree to an extent. But to act like everyone hated them off rip or opened the box and threw up because of quality just isn't true. It was something that grew with time.

Gotcha! I've been using Plus White teeth whitening gel for my AF1/AJ1 midsoles for awhile. I tried it on the 5's once, but it didn't do too much. Didn't know if you had a simple method that worked well.
Nope but I need to unyellow some metallic 5 netting also so I will be looking into it. Pretty sure I’m just gonna tape off the shoe except for the netting and then baste some salon care 40 on it lightly and then cover it with cling wrap so it doesn’t evaporate quick and then put it under my big uv light. I recently got the Mars 1000 I think it was. I can get a link if anyone wants it. I followed the link in the description of either a Manola or Vick almighty restoration video on YouTube.

jshortt jshortt

I’m right there with you man...Been on this screen name since 2002...I didn’t inspect my pairs with a fine tooth comb either...But when I started getting paint chipping a flaking after a handful of wears I knew something was up...The Mars pair was a bunch of the same...That year was when I knew it was time to check out man...People were hyped on the colorway for sure but once that quality control starting showing up is when the complaints started...This was absolutely when that quality decline started and only got worse from there...

Now I only buy what I’ll wear...Totally because of those two pairs...My collection days are long gone by now 😂...

Haha maaaaan! It's been funny (in a good way) seeing your name pop up again recently. My Mars were absolutely worse than my Militaries. Honestly, I think my 01 True Blue 3's, and 06 Fire Red 3's were worse than either of those 4's as far as the midsole chipping went. I passed on a few 3's and 4's during that run.

jshortt jshortt

I’m right there with you man...Been on this screen name since 2002...I didn’t inspect my pairs with a fine tooth comb either...But when I started getting paint chipping a flaking after a handful of wears I knew something was up...The Mars pair was a bunch of the same...That year was when I knew it was time to check out man...People were hyped on the colorway for sure but once that quality control starting showing up is when the complaints started...This was absolutely when that quality decline started and only got worse from there...

I’m still pissed I can’t access my NT account circa 2004 but oh well. Yeah man that era right there is what disenchanted me from collecting for nearly 15 years. Gentry era. I don’t have a desire to collect DS pairs and haven’t since then and want to wear all my shoes. Life is too short and I really enjoy wearing em even if it’s at home watching tv. Right now stuck at home ordering shoes my wife says “another pair of expensive house shoes?” Lmao I love her

I’m still pissed I can’t access my NT account circa 2004 but oh well. Yeah man that era right there is what disenchanted me from collecting for nearly 15 years. Gentry era. I don’t have a desire to collect DS pairs and haven’t since then and want to wear all my shoes. Life is too short and I really enjoy wearing em even if it’s at home watching tv. Right now stuck at home ordering shoes my wife says “another pair of expensive house shoes?” Lmao I love her

Yeah, I definitely don't purposely DS shoes like that any more. Anything I buy, it's with the intention of wearing. Problem is, I have so damn many, it's hard to get to certain pairs immediately. Then I end up buying something else, and they jump to the head of the line lol. I've been wearing those white/royal Cross Trainer 3's out. :lol:

Yeah, I definitely don't purposely DS shoes like that any more. Anything I buy, it's with the intention of wearing. Problem is, I have so damn many, it's hard to get to certain pairs immediately. Then I end up buying something else, and they jump to the head of the line lol. I've been wearing those white/royal Cross Trainer 3's out. :lol:
I know the problem is fitting them all into the rotation!!

I’m assuming these aren’t coming out this year since we haven’t heard anything since June of last year?

Back
Top Bottom