Minimum Wage

As some of you may have heard, California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill that will increase minimum wage to $10 in 2016. On the federal level, minimum wage is $7.25.

Does anyone support this decision and think it'll help, or is $10 too high for minimum wage?

That would top the current highest state figure – $9.19 an hour in Washington State  – as well as the federal minimum wage of $7.25, which is the level in all but 18 states and the District of Columbia.

"Small-business owners will now be forced to make tough choices including reducing employee hours, cutting positions entirely, and for many, closing their doors altogether," said John Kabateck, head of the California branch of the National Federation of Independent Business.

That’s good news for the estimated 3 million Californians – 1.5 million in full-time, year-round employment – currently in minimum-wage jobs.

Teenagers in fast-food and other low-wage jobs account for just 5.3 percent of minimum-wage workers; the rest are adults older than 21, including 34 percent who are older than 40. Hispanics make up 40 percent of California’s population but account for nearly two-thirds of minimum-wage workers, many of them in the agriculture industry.

The federal minimum wage of $7.25 provides $15,080 a year assuming a 40-hour work week, which is $50 below the federal poverty line for a family of two. More than 15 million workers nationally earn the national minimum, which compares with the median national salary of $40,350, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The last time Congress raised the federal minimum wage was in 2007, when a three-step increase from $5.15 to $7.25 in 2009 was approved. According to the National Employment Law Project, a minimum wage that had kept pace with inflation since 1968 would be $10.56 today.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...er-hour-minimum-wage-push-other-states-to-act

Last edited:
$16 min wage in Cali? Alotta entry level employees will be over paid and high af

Last edited:
yeah cool but our cost of living which is already high will get higher.

do they really think they are going to pay those undocumented workers 16 an hour?? 

they are mostly illegals and are picked to work in the fields because they are easy to exploit, ill be surprised if they even get 6.50 nowadays.

i live 45 mins or so from where alot of these migrant workers lived, it's called duroville which translates to hardville.

it was a trailer park or at least there was some trailers and also homemade shacks, that had no running water or electricity, they lived up to 3 familys in a single trailer.

im sure theres alot of these kinds of places around the rural farms in california.

http://blog.pe.com/multicultural-empire/2013/06/30/duroville-remembering-years-of-squalor/  

It's gonna be $10. My bad, I put 16 on accident. In 2014, it'll be $9.00, it'll reach $10 in 2016.

Last edited:
Yeah read through and I was like $16? yoooo. $10 is a lot though lol :smh:

Yeah read through and I was like $16? yoooo. $10 is a lot though lol :smh:

Even for Cali's cost of living? I'm kind of mixed about this because the negatives outweigh the positives, but what are people with a family supposed to do with $8.00 an hour? People just think it's only youngins going for these part time jobs, when it's not.

Last edited:
I don't support this.
mean.gif

$10 is way too high for minimum wage. $16 is absurd.
i do, keeps less people off the streets and from look for illegal jobs to make a quick buck. just so you know the cost of living is going up so 15.00 sounds right

With the cost of living in some areas being how it is I can see $10 a hour being needed cause I can't see how someone pays bills in NY on 7.25 a hour.

Another thing to remember is rarely does ANYONE in minimum wage jobs gets 40 hours a week. People always get around 25-32 hours a week unless their a manager or Head of something. So that 15gs a year does really happen.

$10 would be something though.

That's too high. And if you have a family why can't you get a better job than a minimum wage job.... You should be trying to push da hemi and buy a luxury condo working at mc Donald's.....

With the cost of living in some areas being how it is I can see $10 a hour being needed cause I can't see how someone pays bills in NY on 7.25 a hour.

Another thing to remember is rarely does ANYONE in minimum wage jobs gets 40 hours a week. People always get around 25-32 hours a week unless their a manager or Head of something. So that 15gs a year does really happen.

$10 would be something though.

Yeah I'd imagine it to be a bit worse in some areas of NY. At this point, people make $8.00 out here in Cali, which is hard enough as is, but people working for 75 cents less may really be struggling.

That's too high. And if you have a family why can't you get a better job than a minimum wage job.... You should be trying to push da hemi and buy a luxury condo working at mc Donald's.....

I don't think people make it their goal to have a minimum wage job.

Yeah I'd imagine it to be a bit worse in some areas of NY. At this point, people make $8.00 out here in Cali, which is hard enough as is, but people working for 75 cents less may really be struggling.

Yeah and once tax kicks in its then really $6.80. When you look at the article it says how 2/3rds of people on that wage are Hispanics and I'm gonna generalization and say half of that are immigrants since the article says 40% of minimum wage works are in agriculture. Immigrants usually live in lower then average conditions so. Things just get abit better I guess.

Yeah and once tax kicks in its then really $6.80. When you look at the article it says how 2/3rds of people on that wage are Hispanics and I'm gonna generalization and say half of that are immigrants since the article says 40% of minimum wage works are in agriculture. Immigrants usually live in lower then average conditions so. Things just get abit better I guess.

I doubt they'll pay some immigrants $10 an hour though.

I don't think people make it their goal to have a minimum wage job.
Yeah but if times get hard I understand that you take the job just to keep an income flowing, but you don't take it as a long term thing to raise your family with.... And if u can't get a better job because you are a F'up in life then that's what you get.... We shouldn't raise the wage until you can raise ur family working at mc Donald's....

hopefully this will inspire people to form strong unions and negotiate higher minimum wage nation wide...but one can only dream 

Back
Top Bottom