MINNESOTA TWINS SYMBOL QUESTION

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

Personally I think it's because nobody cares about Minnesota. Don't mean to offend people from Minn but it's like people knowing potatoes are from Idaho. I remember when I was younger everyone knew about the potato/Idaho connection but now I ask younger people and they wouldn't know what im talking about.

I didn't know that until they got hott in 2002.

Also, I like the old schol uniforms they've been wearing for home games this season. They should stick with that style for 2010 and beyond.

Why don't they wear the red TC hats (red crown, navy bill)? NYC cats wear that cap a lot.

Personally I think it's because nobody cares about Minnesota. Don't mean to offend people from Minn but it's like people knowing potatoes are from Idaho. I remember when I was younger everyone knew about the potato/Idaho connection but now I ask younger people and they wouldn't know what im talking about.
You mean the media doesnt care about Minnesota.

Then again its not like you could make a list of all 50 states and figure out the order american people care about them, so who knows.

I think "Twin Cities" is fairly common knowledge actually. I certainly wouldnt rip someone if they didnt know though.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

Why don't they wear the red TC hats (red crown, navy bill)? NYC cats wear that cap a lot.
That one I'm guessing? Personally I've never been a fan I always liked the all-navy blue w/ red and white font (2nd picture)

31-32076-F.jpg

TwinsHat.jpg

I'm not shocked people don't know it either. But that's because I think most people in America are stupid and accept their stupidity.

I mean - i don't disagree.. but that seems a little harsh.

It's a sports logo we're talking about here, I think most people would honestly be better off if they didn't fill their heads with pointless triviaand sports stats and instead learned some more useful information. Knowing the nicknames of all the major towns in the united states hardly seems all thatimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Originally Posted by JPZx

whatever i know what i meant to say and my point got across...twin cities not common knowledge. the end.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

laugh.gif
@ people jumping on him

it's definitely not something EVERYONE would know...
if you went to school and have a brain you should know about the twin cities.

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

laugh.gif
@ people jumping on him

it's definitely not something EVERYONE would know...
if you went to school and have a brain you should know about the twin cities.
it's the equivalent of ripping someone for not knowing how to add compound fractions (which you also learn in elementary school)...and i KNOWthere are plenty of people on here that can't do that

I was never taught about the Twin Cities when I was in school, but I knew that was what the 'TC' was about before I entered this thread.

But since we're talking about new uniforms, I think it's time to eliminate pin stripes from baseball.

They're an abomination, and I hope the Twins do leave behind that ugly uniform for what someone had posted earlier.

I was definitely never taught in school that the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is known as the Twin Cities.

This 'TC' thing is one of those things I keep being told but keep forgetting, because it really doesn't matter at all to me. I knew what the TCstood fr, but forgot, and now I've been told again in this thread,and I'll forget again.

I'm almost willing to pt this 'most 5th graders across the country' statement to a test because it sounds so outlandish to me. If I asked 100 5thgraders 'What 2 US cities are known as the Twin Cities', I'm thinking less than a dozen get the answer correct.

That one I'm guessing? Personally I've never been a fan I always liked the all-navy blue w/ red and white font (2nd picture)

http://www.fansedge.com/I...uct/31-32/31-32076-F.jpg src="http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/31-32/31-32076-F.jpg">

http://msuncorked.com/images/Donations/TwinsHat.jpg src="http://msuncorked.com/images/Donations/TwinsHat.jpg">

Yep. The one. I own both. I wear the red crown one moreso. They stopped wearing them along with the red alternate.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I was definitely never taught in school that the Minnesota/St. Paul area is known as the Twin Cities.

This 'TC' thing is one of those things I keep being told but keep forgetting, because it really doesn't matter at all to me. I knew what the TC stood fr, but forgot, and now I've been told again in this thread,and I'll forget again.

I'm almost willing to pt this 'most 5thgraders across the country' statement to a test because it sounds so outlandish to me. If I asked 100 5th graders 'What 2 US cities are known as the Twin Cities', I'm thinking less than a dozen get the answer correct.
Without giving them any sort of hint in the question, I might even take under 12%.

Actually, "bad rationale" would be me saying "hey, my 9 year old son knows that, all 9 year olds know that". Saying "classrooms of 5th graders across the country know that" is totally something different and well within "good rationale".

I'm not shocked people don't know it either. But that's because I think most people in America are stupid and accept their stupidity.

What's your reason?

I would say its bad rationale that 5th grade classrooms are learning what the Twin Cities are.

I just dont think that knowing what the Twin Cities are is something that the youth of america are being taught or need to learn. I think more people shouldknow the answer, but I wouldnt be giving people stonefaces if they didnt know it either.

I think it's time to eliminate pin stripes from baseball
Baseball purists would love to have your throat right about now.
laugh.gif

MontrealExpos_1000.png

I see the M and I see the ELB.... now is the white space just a space for EB (Expos Baseball?)
But that doesn't make sense since they're literal name was Les Expos de Montreal....
anyone shed some light as to the real meaning of the letters?

Expos Logo Design: A stylized "M" for Montreal, containing a red "e" for Expos, and a blue "b" for baseball.

In defense of the OP, I never knew what the "TC" meant up until some point within the last ten years.

http://www.fansedge.com/I...uct/31-32/31-32076-F.jpg src="http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/31-32/31-32076-F.jpg">

http://msuncorked.com/images/Donations/TwinsHat.jpg src="http://msuncorked.com/images/Donations/TwinsHat.jpg">

i have both those hats because it's my initials
pimp.gif

it aint too big of a deal if you don't know what it stands for IMO...

yea sorry Bastitch but you're wrong, knowing they are the twin cities is not common knowledge like say.....knowing NYC is "The Big Apple" or that Chicago is "The Windy City." I know you would think it is, but it really isn't.
I agree, I wouldn't consider an American stupid simply for not knowing the Twin Cities are in Minnesota.

I would consider an American stupid for not knowing where the Bay Area is located, but the Twin Cities aren't nearly as populous or used as frequently as aterm in place of the actual city name(s).

It's arrogant to assume that Americans are stupid if they don't know the nickname of every major US city and metro area.

The City of Brotherly Love is Philadelphia.
The Metroplex is the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.
The Valley of the Sun is the Phoenix metro area.
The Inland Empire are San Bernardino and Riverside counties in Southern California.
The Research Triangle is the Raliegh-Durham metro area.
The Big Easy is New Orleans.
The Seven Cities are in Southeastern Virginia.
Beantown is Boston.
Silicon Valley is part of the Bay Area in Northern California.

I wouldn't consider anyone stupid for not knowing all of those nicknames. I would expect the average American to know most of the nicknames.

Ya but this is related to a sports team, there could have been a different meaning for all we know. This isnt a Social Studies question, its a sports question.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Expos Logo Design: A stylized "M" for Montreal, containing a red "e" for Expos, and a blue "b" for baseball.
Wow, for years I always wondered what was the background story of their logo, nvr got around to asking. Thank you for shedding light on that,makes sense. SMH at Bastitch, the guy didnt know, what do you want, I didnt know neither to tell you the truth....

laugh.gif
Wow...This thread is lasting longer than I thought. Simple question, simple answer...No tangents needed.

Originally Posted by JAEGER13

wow thanks didnt know that
and dang it was just a question to the 3 people who decided to be ignorant about it.

Your blatant misuse of ignorant is worse than not knowing what the Twin Cities are.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

yea sorry Bastitch but you're wrong, knowing they are the twin cities is not common knowledge like say.....knowing NYC is "The Big Apple" or that Chicago is "The Windy City." I know you would think it is, but it really isn't.
I agree, I wouldn't consider an American stupid simply for not knowing the Twin Cities are in Minnesota.

I would consider an American stupid for not knowing where the Bay Area is located, but the Twin Cities aren't nearly as populous or used as frequently as a term in place of the actual city name(s).

It's arrogant to assume that Americans are stupid if they don't know the nickname of every major US city and metro area.

The City of Brotherly Love is Philadelphia.
The Metroplex is the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area.
The Valley of the Sun is the Phoenix metro area.
The Inland Empire are San Bernardino and Riverside counties in Southern California.
The Research Triangle is the Raliegh-Durham metro area.
The Big Easy is New Orleans.
The Seven Cities are in Southeastern Virginia.
Beantown is Boston.
Silicon Valley is part of the Bay Area in Northern California.

I wouldn't consider anyone stupid for not knowing all of those nicknames. I would expect the average American to know most of the nicknames.
Except that most elementary schools don't teach those nicknames.

The Twin Cities is taught in a lot of schools.

When I was a lot younger someone had to point out to me that the letters mb make up the glove logo. I seriously never noticed.

I used to have an expos fitted too and everyone always asked me what "elb" stood for. Nobody could decipher that it was a big"M".

Back
Top Bottom