MLB 2011 Predictions Vol Phillies vs Red Sox?

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by LB510

AL East: BoSox
West: Rangers
Central: Tigers
WC: Yanks

NL East: Phils
West: Dodgers
Central: Brewers
WC: Braves

WS: Yanks over Braves (before you post all the
roll.gif
ask yourself how many people predicted Giants over Rangers)
Dodgers winning the west? 
laugh.gif
 The Giants and Rockies will be battling it out. I think Dodgers end up finishing 4th
As far as the Braves as the wild card I think there is a slightly better chance that it comes out of the NL Central. The Reds took everyone by surprise last year and I think they will come back down to earth. I think the Cardinals pitching will take carry them and I see a dog fight between The Brewers and Cards much like others see between the Yanks and Sox's.

laugh.gif
 Knew a Giants fan would call me out, and it was an absolute toss up for me. I really think it's between SF, LA, and COl, with even ARI making some noise. As crazy as an LA pick sounds, how many people were picking SF to win the division last year, let alone win the WS?
At the end of the day, when you're trying to predict these division winners, it's all about which players you think will have great years, which players you think will bounce back, and which players you think will regress. I think Coletti did what he could given the FO situation, and made some underrated moves to assemble a solid pitching staff. I also see a great bounce back year out of Matt Kemp. At the same time, I see a lot of those hitters that came through for SF in the post-season regressing to their career averages, a 34 year old Aubrey Huff most notably. 
lol I'm not one to think the the Giants are going to run away with the division I do think It will come down to either SF and COL. Like you said I think the D Backs will be much improved. I think the lack or Dodgers lack of starting pitching hurts them. Your right about Huff a lot of people think he caught" lightning in a bottle" It may be a reach to expect those numbers again but I expect a comeback year from Pablo so hopefully he can pick up a little slack from anyone that overachieved in 2010.

AL East: BoSox
Central: Tigers
WC: Yanks

NL East: Phils
West: Dodgers
WC: Braves

WS: Yanks over Braves (before you post all the
roll.gif
ask yourself how many people predicted Giants over Rangers)
Dodgers winning the west? 
laugh.gif
 The Giants and Rockies will be battling it out. I think Dodgers end up finishing 4th
As far as the Braves as the wild card I think there is a slightly better chance that it comes out of the NL Central. The Reds took everyone by surprise last year and I think they will come back down to earth. I think the Cardinals pitching will take carry them and I see a dog fight between The Brewers and Cards much like others see between the Yanks and Sox's.

laugh.gif
 Knew a Giants fan would call me out, and it was an absolute toss up for me. I really think it's between SF, LA, and COl, with even ARI making some noise. As crazy as an LA pick sounds, how many people were picking SF to win the division last year, let alone win the WS?
At the end of the day, when you're trying to predict these division winners, it's all about which players you think will have great years, which players you think will bounce back, and which players you think will regress. I think Coletti did what he could given the FO situation, and made some underrated moves to assemble a solid pitching staff. I also see a great bounce back year out of Matt Kemp. At the same time, I see a lot of those hitters that came through for SF in the post-season regressing to their career averages, a 34 year old Aubrey Huff most notably. 
lol I'm not one to think the the Giants are going to run away with the division I do think It will come down to either SF and COL. Like you said I think the D Backs will be much improved. I think the lack or Dodgers lack of starting pitching hurts them. Your right about Huff a lot of people think he caught" lightning in a bottle" It may be a reach to expect those numbers again but I expect a comeback year from Pablo so hopefully he can pick up a little slack from anyone that overachieved in 2010.

venom lyrix wrote:
2. How the hell are people picking the A's to win the AL West? Besides being Homers...that team has young pitching and no offense...
They have very good young pitching. I think it may be 2nd best some may say second best in the AL west. I think the Rangers will take a step back and the Angles will be much improved. 85-87 wins wins that division. 

venom lyrix wrote:
2. How the hell are people picking the A's to win the AL West? Besides being Homers...that team has young pitching and no offense...
They have very good young pitching. I think it may be 2nd best some may say second best in the AL west. I think the Rangers will take a step back and the Angles will be much improved. 85-87 wins wins that division. 

I mean, I could give yall 3 paragraphs on why the Astros are so awful, but then but then nobody would still care.

Cards/Red Sox WS.

I mean, I could give yall 3 paragraphs on why the Astros are so awful, but then but then nobody would still care.

Cards/Red Sox WS.

173-0 baby
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
162 + 11 for the duller blades in the thread
laugh.gif

nah i agree that the ALE won't be the sox running away with it.
a) as stated, the sox rotation isn't exactly a lock to dominate...not by any means. lot of question marks there.
b) the bullpen, while revamped, has what i think are some clashes of roles. multiple closers, multiple setup men. not sure how the dynamic is going to be. plenty of room for tito to over coach the whole thing into the ground tho.
c) the yanks rotation isn't AS bad as people are making it seem. they act like losing out on cliff lee means an 80 loss season. they've got 3 guys that can be just as dependable as the first 3 in the sox rotation if you take a step back and really look at it. CC, burnett, hughes v beckett, lackey, lester. lester and CC are the fairly sure things in both rotations, after that, who knows what you'll get from either side.
d) offenses are pretty even imo. we've both got our share of sluggers.

173-0 baby
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
162 + 11 for the duller blades in the thread
laugh.gif

nah i agree that the ALE won't be the sox running away with it.
a) as stated, the sox rotation isn't exactly a lock to dominate...not by any means. lot of question marks there.
b) the bullpen, while revamped, has what i think are some clashes of roles. multiple closers, multiple setup men. not sure how the dynamic is going to be. plenty of room for tito to over coach the whole thing into the ground tho.
c) the yanks rotation isn't AS bad as people are making it seem. they act like losing out on cliff lee means an 80 loss season. they've got 3 guys that can be just as dependable as the first 3 in the sox rotation if you take a step back and really look at it. CC, burnett, hughes v beckett, lackey, lester. lester and CC are the fairly sure things in both rotations, after that, who knows what you'll get from either side.
d) offenses are pretty even imo. we've both got our share of sluggers.

venom lyrix wrote:
Exactly. IMO they are the AL version of the Giants, and well... We know how they turned out.

venom lyrix wrote:
Exactly. IMO they are the AL version of the Giants, and well... We know how they turned out.

How are the Angels much improved?

Back when the A's were winning division titles they had power in the lineup and guys who could get on base. They have one big OBP and a bunch of hitters who struggle in that park. They'll compete for sure but that pitching will only take them so far. Now if Brett Anderson gives you 30 starts...

How are the Angels much improved?

Back when the A's were winning division titles they had power in the lineup and guys who could get on base. They have one big OBP and a bunch of hitters who struggle in that park. They'll compete for sure but that pitching will only take them so far. Now if Brett Anderson gives you 30 starts...

Everyone is quick to crown Boston, but I have my doubts. I do think they'll win the East, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dog fight, and NY came out on top. Few things to note:

As someone said, Burnett is in line for a bounce back year. Anyone who knows anything about pitching knows it's mental with him, his stuff is still nasty, and that curve is still one of the best in the majors.
Josh Beckett has lost it.
Montero is a blue-chip bat, and will be in the lineup from game 1.
Can Bucholz repeat last year's performance?
Jeter likely won't have as bad a year as he did last year.
Full year of Granderson after Long tinkered with his swing.
Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range.
The short porch in left doesn't effect Crawford's ability running to center.

His range is going to be instrumental in alleviating pressure off Ellsbury, who is notoriously shaky at CF.

Everyone is quick to crown Boston, but I have my doubts. I do think they'll win the East, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a dog fight, and NY came out on top. Few things to note:

As someone said, Burnett is in line for a bounce back year. Anyone who knows anything about pitching knows it's mental with him, his stuff is still nasty, and that curve is still one of the best in the majors.
Josh Beckett has lost it.
Montero is a blue-chip bat, and will be in the lineup from game 1.
Can Bucholz repeat last year's performance?
Jeter likely won't have as bad a year as he did last year.
Full year of Granderson after Long tinkered with his swing.
Crawford is good, but his impact will be muted by the monster in left, where he's playing everything off the wall instead of putting his best skill to use, his range.
The short porch in left doesn't effect Crawford's ability running to center.

His range is going to be instrumental in alleviating pressure off Ellsbury, who is notoriously shaky at CF.

AL
East: Red Sox (best record in ML)
Central: White Sox
WC: Yankees

NL
East: Philthies
West: Giants
WC: Mets (come at me bro!)

Playoffs
DS
Red Sox over White Sox
Rangers over Yankees
Philthies over Giants
Brewers over Mets

CS
Red Sox over Rangers
Philthies over Brewers

WS
Red Sox over Philthies

NL MVP: Prince Fielder
AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez (atleast 50 HRs/130 RBIs/GG)
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia

Mets Predictions:
Murphy starts the season at 2B, gives it up to Emaus by May
Chris Young and Dillon Gee wind out the rotation, Young goes down by all star break
Santana comes back begining of August
Beltran starts out hot, traded by all star break to White Sox
Ike Davis becomes THAT dude
smokin.gif

Wright, Reyes, K-Rod all stars

AL
East: Red Sox (best record in ML)
Central: White Sox
WC: Yankees

NL
East: Philthies
West: Giants
WC: Mets (come at me bro!)

Playoffs
DS
Red Sox over White Sox
Rangers over Yankees
Philthies over Giants
Brewers over Mets

CS
Red Sox over Rangers
Philthies over Brewers

WS
Red Sox over Philthies

NL MVP: Prince Fielder
AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez (atleast 50 HRs/130 RBIs/GG)
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia

Mets Predictions:
Murphy starts the season at 2B, gives it up to Emaus by May
Chris Young and Dillon Gee wind out the rotation, Young goes down by all star break
Santana comes back begining of August
Beltran starts out hot, traded by all star break to White Sox
Ike Davis becomes THAT dude
smokin.gif

Wright, Reyes, K-Rod all stars

The key to the A's success is going to come down to health. This team went .500 last year with numerous injuries and a HORRIBLE lineup. Their lineup is improved, their starting pitching is going to be a little more experienced, and their bullpen is solid. Is their anyone in the lineup with much power? No but they added Matsui, DeJesus and Willingham. Not any big names like Beltre, but it's an improvement to what we had last year. Also, hopefully this lets Kouz become a little more comfortable at the plate. He can't be any worse than last year, hopefully
laugh.gif
. If this team stays healthy, they should compete for a division title.

And I hate when people say we are the AL version of the Giants. I understand we have young pitching but Timmy and Cain are more dominant than any of our young pitchers (at least so far). Also, the Giant's bats got hot at the perfect time, the odds of that happening to anyone aren't great.

The key to the A's success is going to come down to health. This team went .500 last year with numerous injuries and a HORRIBLE lineup. Their lineup is improved, their starting pitching is going to be a little more experienced, and their bullpen is solid. Is their anyone in the lineup with much power? No but they added Matsui, DeJesus and Willingham. Not any big names like Beltre, but it's an improvement to what we had last year. Also, hopefully this lets Kouz become a little more comfortable at the plate. He can't be any worse than last year, hopefully
laugh.gif
. If this team stays healthy, they should compete for a division title.

And I hate when people say we are the AL version of the Giants. I understand we have young pitching but Timmy and Cain are more dominant than any of our young pitchers (at least so far). Also, the Giant's bats got hot at the perfect time, the odds of that happening to anyone aren't great.

DeJesus and Matsui are spares... Willingham is a good pickup. But Kouz sucks, he'll always suck. I love the Anderson/Cahill, but Cahill was one of the luckiest pitchers in baseball last year. He'll be good, but not nearly as good as last year suggests... As good as the arms are, I just don't see how they hit enough. I said this last year with Seattle and everybody thought I was out of my damn mind... We'll see.

The Angels, I'm missing the hype on them ENTIRELY... How are they better? Vernon Wells? LOL.

The Rangers went most of the season with this same exact rotation and a less talented offense and significantly worse defensive team... Kinsler missed a month. Hamilton missed over a month. Cruz had two extended stays on the DL... And they still ran away with the division... *shrugs* I don't see how they're not still the clear favorites in this thing.

DeJesus and Matsui are spares... Willingham is a good pickup. But Kouz sucks, he'll always suck. I love the Anderson/Cahill, but Cahill was one of the luckiest pitchers in baseball last year. He'll be good, but not nearly as good as last year suggests... As good as the arms are, I just don't see how they hit enough. I said this last year with Seattle and everybody thought I was out of my damn mind... We'll see.

The Angels, I'm missing the hype on them ENTIRELY... How are they better? Vernon Wells? LOL.

The Rangers went most of the season with this same exact rotation and a less talented offense and significantly worse defensive team... Kinsler missed a month. Hamilton missed over a month. Cruz had two extended stays on the DL... And they still ran away with the division... *shrugs* I don't see how they're not still the clear favorites in this thing.

Originally Posted by Hollywood James 6

venom lyrix wrote:

How can you compare the A's to the Giants when the Giants had bats like Posey, Sandoval, Huff...the A's most dangerous hitter is Daric Barton and Kurt Suzuki...

Plus...Lincy, Cain, Zito, Sanchez, Bumgardner > Cahill, Brett Anderson (injury concern) Rich Harden (injury concern) Gio Gonzalez, and whoever #5 is for them. Cahill is the man, no doubt he had an amazing year, but the rest are young and question marks.

AND

the biggest addition the A's made so far this offseason was Brian Fuentes and Hideki Matsui

Originally Posted by Hollywood James 6

venom lyrix wrote:

How can you compare the A's to the Giants when the Giants had bats like Posey, Sandoval, Huff...the A's most dangerous hitter is Daric Barton and Kurt Suzuki...

Plus...Lincy, Cain, Zito, Sanchez, Bumgardner > Cahill, Brett Anderson (injury concern) Rich Harden (injury concern) Gio Gonzalez, and whoever #5 is for them. Cahill is the man, no doubt he had an amazing year, but the rest are young and question marks.

AND

the biggest addition the A's made so far this offseason was Brian Fuentes and Hideki Matsui

Back
Top Bottom