MonsterVerse Thread = Godzilla VS Kong : Out Now On HBO MaX & Theaters

No way this bombs. This is gonna do 550+ mill atleast when ifs all said and done

I think Godzilla will make a killing at the box office for the simple fact that we've never truly seen anything like this on screen. This is the first time I've seen footage of any movie and legit been scared. Godzilla looks terrifying and I think by the end of the movie we won't recognize who the real villain of the movie is :wow:

I don't think it'll bomb either but you'll never know. Not sure if it'll reach $550m, they are expecting it to open at $60m so I think their expectations aren't that high, yet. Maybe once they kick off more marketing materials and pump up more exciting commercials. Like that Woncercon clip, got goosebumps towards the end.

And you can't really say you've seen nothing like this when Pacific Rim just came out last year and that has a never been seen live-action giant robot to battle the monsters and that did $100m in the US.

Godzilla is gonna be big. It's currently tracking for a 75m opening with three weeks still left to build hype. I'm gonna go ahead and say this will def open to at around 80m OW.

I don't see Godzilla doing too crazy domestically. It'll probably do 60 its first weekend and then drop like crazy every weekend after. Where I expect it to do really well is overseas.

I don't think it'll bomb either but you'll never know. Not sure if it'll reach $550m, they are expecting it to open at $60m so I think their expectations aren't that high, yet. Maybe once they kick off more marketing materials and pump up more exciting commercials. Like that Woncercon clip, got goosebumps towards the end.

And you can't really say you've seen nothing like this when Pacific Rim just came out last year and that has a never been seen live-action giant robot to battle the monsters and that did $100m in the US.

I don't think Pacific Rim had anywhere near the scale of damage Godzilla will cause and add to the fact that Godzilla is one of the most recognizable names in pop culture and I think it'll do great. I think it'll make a KILLING overseas and will prob do 40 million opening weekend in the states but then I think word of mouth spreads and it'll make HUGE money in the weeks following its release.

Last edited:
This isn't a movie sequels would work for IMO. Like transformers, once you see the bots for the first time, it's just not the same after.

Do this movie right, call it a day

I don't think Pacific Rim had anywhere near the scale of damage Godzilla will cause and add to the fact that Godzilla is one of the most recognizable names in pop culture and I think it'll do great. I think it'll make a KILLING overseas and will prob do 40 million opening weekend in the states but then I think word of mouth spreads and it'll make HUGE money in the weeks following its release.

Well that is really a different argument to what I replied to. No doubt Godzilla is recognizable, no one is arguing that.

I'm just saying Pacific Rim had something that was never seen before and it didn't sell well in the US, which is what you were saying with Godzilla, something you've never seen before. I'd also argue that Pacific Rim is of the same scale at Godzilla, if not bigger. Remember that they went to space (for a brief period of time) and went underwater and battled there and nuked it. That is a giant scale that will be difficult to match. Same with the scale of damage, I think you may have forgotten how big the Kaijus were and how many there was, it was a battle for years maybe even decades, the scale of damage was worldwide for a long period of time on Kaijus that evolved.

I don't think it'll flop either though, I was just saying this is in that situation where it has to be very successful for a sequel to happen.

I loved Pacific Rim. 
pimp.gif

Pacific Rim 2 would be dope, Godzilla 2? Naw bruh...like the other dude said, do it right the first time, no need for a sequel.

Provided the first movie is done right, I would love a sequel, especially when the director is already quoted as saying he wants to do a Destroy All Monsters reboot for act II. Imagine a monster island and a massive battle royale. It would be nice.

Can someone pm me the link of the 6 minute footage from wondercon (the media fire one isn't working)

I'm just saying Pacific Rim had something that was never seen before and it didn't sell well in the US.

But Godzilla is Godzilla. Even if you've never heard of it, something in the back of your mind is gonna have a clue...Pacific Rim?...the title didn't stick with most people. Even after the movie already came out, people were still surprised that something called 'pacific rim' was about giant robots and monsters.

And then, it felt like no one was in it. Idris was obviously a side character, so there was just Charlie Hunnam to sell the movie. And he looked like a generic, create-a-character lead white guy and acted extra w/e. I mean, he's good on SoA, but all the trailers with him felt like they almost had to hide his w/e-ness.

Plus it had that Transformers backlash, where people just thought it was a knockoff, like Divergent to Hunger Games. And you didn't get any real story from the trailers past big robots fighting monsters. It felt like there was no characers, no story, no humor, just a videogame on film.

But Godzilla...you can clearly tell Cranston got a story. Liz Olsen got a story. Her army dude got a story.

I mean, I was hyped for Rim, cuz GDT\s my guy and I know what's he's capable of...but regular people? Say what you want about the Transformers, but Shia sold the hell outta those movies. People are gonna show up, cuz there's no confusing a movie called 'Godzilla,' and people know Walter White. And the only big movie like this in the last 20 years was Cloverfield...and this promises no shaky cam and a better monster.

I mean, it might suck. :lol: But they sold it right. It's gonna make time for a sequel money.

Provided the first movie is done right, I would love a sequel, especially when the director is already quoted as saying he wants to do a Destroy All Monsters reboot for act II. Imagine a monster island and a massive battle royale. It would be nice.

Kinda like transformers 3's one hour of mindless robot fighting, sounds good on paper.......... On the movie screen....... Naw

Whether you think it was a quality movie or not, doesn't matter. You named transformers 3 as a movie that worked only well as an idea but it was a commercial success. I'm not even a fan of transformers 3 like that. But it was still a poor example.

But Godzilla is Godzilla. Even if you've never heard of it, something in the back of your mind is gonna have a clue...Pacific Rim?...the title didn't stick with most people. Even after the movie already came out, people were still surprised that something called 'pacific rim' was about giant robots and monsters.

And then, it felt like no one was in it. Idris was obviously a side character, so there was just Charlie Hunnam to sell the movie. And he looked like a generic, create-a-character lead white guy and acted extra w/e. I mean, he's good on SoA, but all the trailers with him felt like they almost had to hide his w/e-ness.

Plus it had that Transformers backlash, where people just thought it was a knockoff, like Divergent to Hunger Games. And you didn't get any real story from the trailers past big robots fighting monsters. It felt like there was no characers, no story, no humor, just a videogame on film.

But Godzilla...you can clearly tell Cranston got a story. Liz Olsen got a story. Her army dude got a story.

I mean, I was hyped for Rim, cuz GDT\s my guy and I know what's he's capable of...but regular people? Say what you want about the Transformers, but Shia sold the hell outta those movies. People are gonna show up, cuz there's no confusing a movie called 'Godzilla,' and people know Walter White. And the only big movie like this in the last 20 years was Cloverfield...and this promises no shaky cam and a better monster.

I mean, it might suck. :lol: But they sold it right. It's gonna make time for a sequel money.

They marketed the hell outta this movie I'm hype as **** for it.

You hit the nail on the head about Jax Teller being stale. Everyone I know who say complained the cast was perfect except for him. How you gonna have Ron Pearlman only be in the movie for a quick scene or two?

Whether you think it was a quality movie or not, doesn't matter. You named transformers 3 as a movie that worked only well as an idea but it was a commercial success. I'm not even a fan of transformers 3 like that. But it was still a poor example.

What are you talking about? Nowhere did I say it wouldn't make money. I just said it IMO it wouldn't be a good movie. Is that so hard to understand?

'sounds good on paper, on the movie screen naw'

Obviously if a movie works well commercially it did more than just work on paper.

Last edited:
No not really. If you had framed your initial argument as transformers 3 working well only commercially, then it would've been been a perfectly viable example. And I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Saying only working well on paper has different connotations, unless you mean it literally, as in paper money.

Last edited:
I'm just saying Pacific Rim had something that was never seen before and it didn't sell well in the US.

I don't disagree with any of this but it wasn't really what my post was arguing with. He said Godzilla was something that has never been seen before (which is already not true because everyone knows Godzilla as you said) but PR had a robot vs monster that has never been seen before as well. Now I never, ever said it'll fail like Pacific Rim, I just don't see this film flopping especially with the international box office making the bulk of money for films these days. Pacific Rim actually made back it's money internationally and that might just push them to make a sequel, iirc it made $100m domestically and $300m outside of the US?

Movie's about to be wack....but did you ever consider that This lost Malaysian airlines plane, and that Ferry Capsizing in N. Korea were Promo's for the Movie???

Back
Top Bottom