Mount Mutombo Appreciation, one of the best defensive big men ever in NBA history

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I have a question....how is him waving his finger NOT a technical foul? I love when he does it, but isn't that a form of taunting? No different than staring down someone if you dunk on their head....
I think the NBA told him as long as he waves his finger towards to crowd, it's fine... But if he was waving it in someone's face, he'd get T'd up...

Hall of Famer?

1. Was he ever the best player in basketball? While he was active, did anyone ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball?
Nope.
  1. Was he the best player on his team?
Best player on those Nuggets teams and probably some Hawks teams.
  1. Was he the best player in baseball at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position?
No. But he played in the greatest era for center ever so i will cut him some slack.
  1. Did he have an impact on a number of playoff series.
431927453_t220.jpg

1. If he was the best player on a team, could that team win a championships.
Offensively he was pretty useless down the stretch of his career but defensively he makes everyone so much better so I would say yes.
  1. Was he good enough to keep playing regularly past his prime?
Ask the Blazers in game 1.
  1. Does he meet the statistical standards of the Hall of Fame?
[table][tr][td]
All-Star Games
1992 NBA
1995 NBA
1996 NBA
1997 NBA
1998 NBA
2000 NBA
2001 NBA
2002 NBA
[/td] [td]
Awards
1994-95 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
1996-97 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
1997-98 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
2000-01 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
[/td] [td]
Honors
1990-91 NCAA AP All-America (3rd)
1991-92 NBA All-Rookie (1st)
1994-95 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
1996-97 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1997-98 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1997-98 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
1998-99 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2000-01 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-NBA (3rd) [/td] [/tr][/table]
  1. Are most players with comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?
Wes Unseld has similar stats and he is in the hall of fame, plus any player who amased over 60 Defensive Win shares is in the hall of fame.
  1. Is there evidence to suggest that he was better or worse than his statistics?
None.
  1. Did he ever have an MVP type season, and did he ever win the MVP award? How did he perform in MVP voting over the course of his career?
No probably not but again it was the 90's
  1. Is he the very best player in the history of baseball who is not in the Hall of Fame? Is he the best player at his position who is not in the Hall of Fame?
No.

7 out of 11 is good enough for me.

i will always remember when he was recognized for his charity work at the US Capitol (i believe) and he received a standing ovation.....

and he has the longest name in the league too....

Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo = appreciated

Appreciated. Wish he could have gone through the playoffs but I had a feeling he would be done when I heard about the injury last night.

This guy is a guaranteed HOFer.

It sucks to see him go out like that, especially with the Rockets having a good chance of winning 1-2 playoff series.

Oh well, Mutombo will always be a legend based on his off-court accomplishments alone.

Appreciated. It was sad seeing him go out like that. I hope he gets some kind of job with the Rockets and stays here, everyone loves Deke

Man I know the team will miss this guy, especially off the court, he seemed like the ultimate motivator.

Originally Posted by NoneOfYours25

Man I get chills everytime I hear about this

2 of the last great Center's (Mount Mutombo and ZO) both end their careers with injuries --- not cool
yeah and isn't it a coincidence both of them came from Georgetown university and are really close friends off the court

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I have a question....how is him waving his finger NOT a technical foul? I love when he does it, but isn't that a form of taunting? No different than staring down someone if you dunk on their head....
I think the NBA told him as long as he waves his finger towards to crowd, it's fine... But if he was waving it in someone's face, he'd get T'd up...

Hall of Famer?

1. Was he ever the best player in basketball? While he was active, did anyone ever suggest that he was the best player in basketball?
Nope.
  1. Was he the best player on his team?
Best player on those Nuggets teams and probably some Hawks teams.
  1. Was he the best player in baseball at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position?
No. But he played in the greatest era for center ever so i will cut him some slack.
  1. Did he have an impact on a number of playoff series.
431927453_t220.jpg

1. If he was the best player on a team, could that team win a championships.
Offensively he was pretty useless down the stretch of his career but defensively he makes everyone so much better so I would say yes.
  1. Was he good enough to keep playing regularly past his prime?
Ask the Blazers in game 1.
  1. Does he meet the statistical standards of the Hall of Fame?
[table][tr][td]
All-Star Games
1992 NBA
1995 NBA
1996 NBA
1997 NBA
1998 NBA
2000 NBA
2001 NBA
2002 NBA
[/td] [td]
Awards
1994-95 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
1996-97 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
1997-98 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
2000-01 NBA Defensive Player of the Year
[/td] [td]
Honors
1990-91 NCAA AP All-America (3rd)
1991-92 NBA All-Rookie (1st)
1994-95 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
1996-97 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1997-98 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
1997-98 NBA All-NBA (3rd)
1998-99 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
2000-01 NBA All-NBA (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
2001-02 NBA All-NBA (3rd) [/td] [/tr][/table]
  1. Are most players with comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?
Wes Unseld has similar stats and he is in the hall of fame, plus any player who amased over 60 Defensive Win shares is in the hall of fame.
  1. Is there evidence to suggest that he was better or worse than his statistics?
None.
  1. Did he ever have an MVP type season, and did he ever win the MVP award? How did he perform in MVP voting over the course of his career?
No probably not but again it was the 90's
  1. Is he the very best player in the history of baseball who is not in the Hall of Fame? Is he the best player at his position who is not in the Hall of Fame?
No.

7 out of 11 is good enough for me.
baseball ?
nerd.gif

Appreciated...I still don't understand why Byron Scott didn't give him more burn in the finals when the Nets lost to the Spurs. I think he would,vehelped a lot more than Collins.

The lotto picks in Mutombo's draft:
  1. Larry Johnson, UNLV
  2. Kenny Anderson, Georgia Tech
  3. Billy Owens, Syracuse
  4. Dikembe Mutombo, Georgetown
  5. Steve Smith, Michigan State
  6. Doug Smith, Missouri
  7. Luc Longley, New Mexico
  8. Mark Macon, Temple
  9. Stacey Augmon, UNLV
  10. Brian Williams, Arizona
  11. Terrell Brandon, Oregon
Plus Mutombo was like 30 when he was at Georgetown, wasn't he?

Deke is such a great dude on and off the court.

And, yes, stats have it...a Hall of Famer.

God Bless you, my man.

I freakin hate Mutombo!!! The reasoning behind this is, when I was a kid about 13 years ago, I saw him at the mall here in San Antonio. He was giving a fewautographs and I tried to get one........... This was his response. In that fuk3d up accent "I already got you man" I was like
tired.gif
. He then pointed to a couple other hispanic kids and shrugged his shoulder like"All yall look alike, I think I got you???" Then walked off..................................... Being 12 and SOL I was really
frown.gif
. Being sad grew into hatred toward this dude. (Yea, Im still salty till thisday
mad.gif
) He can go F himself.
happy.gif
The end

Originally Posted by TCERDA

I freakin hate Mutombo!!! The reasoning behind this is, when I was a kid about 13 years ago, I saw him at the mall here in San Antonio. He was giving a few autographs and I tried to get one........... This was his response. In that fuk3d up accent "I already got you man" I was like
tired.gif
. He then pointed to a couple other hispanic kids and shrugged his shoulder like "All yall look alike, I think I got you???" Then walked off..................................... Being 12 and SOL I was really
frown.gif
. Being sad grew into hatred toward this dude. (Yea, Im still salty till this day
mad.gif
) He can go F himself.
happy.gif
The end
hmmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom