Moving to Japan?

I live back and forth between China and the states, I spent 2 weeks in Tokyo. When I first went over I couldn't speak a lick of Chinese, I am learning now,but it is tough. My suggestion is to befriend some english speaking natives, colleges are the best place to find them. I went to China by myself, and not to alarge city, and I had the greatest time of my life. I love the people and the culture. If you have an adaptive personality and a bit of humility, findingassistance is very easy. I have a chinese fiancee and I plan to move to China permanently once my business stabilizes. I say go for it, you could have theexperience of a lifetime. DO study the culture and language as much as possible before going. Learning the language is much easier there because you areimmersed in it, and you learn all the local dialect and slang.

I think howtosayin.com is the best in translating because they actually conjugate the proper nouns. But if you're gonna want translations in characters andstuff, they don't do that.

i found this on flickr, great shot of tokyo... best city imo.

1607yoh.jpg

When I went to Hong Kong. It was tough. I know it's not Japan or Japanese, but it's close enough. I already knew how to speak Chinese, but not knowinghow to read it made it much harder than I'd thought it would be.

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

When I went to Hong Kong. It was tough. I know it's not Japan or Japanese, but it's close enough. I already knew how to speak Chinese, but not knowing how to read it made it much harder than I'd thought it would be.
Yeah it all depends. Personally, I'd say you could 'get by' on vacation in Japan, knowing no Japanese. Train stations have English,hotel staff usually speak 英語

When I went to Hong Kong. It was tough. I know it's not Japan or Japanese, but it's close enough. I already knew how to speak Chinese, but not knowing how to read it made it much harder than I'd thought it would be.
Hong Kong is more "diverse". 9 tones in Cantonese verse 4 in Mandarin, I'm amazed I didn't lose my head when I went there overthe summer, it felt like one giant Chinatown
laugh.gif
. Good thing I knew mandarin already.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

i found this on flickr, great shot of tokyo... best city imo.

1607yoh.jpg

God damn, i knew Tokyo was big but that kind of puts in in perspective. What's Tokyo's population? Wikipedia says 35 millions in the "greaterTokyo area" but that number seems kinda of large.

I actually am considering once I work 5 years of contract worker here in the desert of living in Brazil or Japan for awhile. I would just like the experience.I am investing in learning both japanese and portugese, but both are diffuclut so this is going to be an interesting next few years. I will be spending morevaction time in both over the next few years to figure it all out, but I can understand the desire to just go over, but you really should try to learn thebasics and if you want to live there taking lessons while there is the smart thing to do. Good luck!

God damn, i knew Tokyo was big but that kind of puts in in perspective. What's Tokyo's population? Wikipedia says 35 millions in the "greater Tokyo area" but that number seems kinda of large.
Yeah, it's huge alright. Just think of all the cities that make up Tokyo. Ginza, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Akihabara, Roppongi, Akasaka, and Harajukuare just some of the areas that make up Tokyo. It's HUGE.

I wouldn't be surprised by those numbers. Shibuya, the biggest intersection in the world has hundreds of people crossing the street at a time. I would hateto have to drive through there.
laugh.gif

japan was tough, i was there for just a week and if it wasnt for the lil guide books we had, it wouldve been really tough

im from hk but japan is huge, their subway maps looks like a spiderweb, also knowing english doesnt help much either

op i suggest u start brushing up on ur japanese, anime, and hentai

lost in translation ftl

I wouldn't be surprised by those numbers. Shibuya, the biggest intersection in the world has hundreds of people crossing the street at a time. I would hate to have to drive through there.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
but sean DRIFTED through shibuya crossing!

nah, that intersection is awesome. always a guarantee of hot chicks walking around...

Originally Posted by ii2cky

japan was tough, i was there for just a week and if it wasnt for the lil guide books we had, it wouldve been really tough

im from hk but japan is huge, their subway maps looks like a spiderweb, also knowing english doesnt help much either

op i suggest u start brushing up on ur japanese, anime, and hentai

lost in translation ftl

A good place to start would be Sailor Moon and the 7 Ballz.
smh.gif
@ me for knowing what that is.
roll.gif

If your laptop or other electronics has a 3 prong plug you'll likely need to get an adapter since a lot of the outlets in Japan are 2 pronged.

If you look Asian, especially Japanese then you'll have to study a lot more to avoid the countless stone face to SMH moments when you pull up with the deerin headlights look. If you look like a foreigner you'll probably get by with the Baka Gaijin pass though.

In addition to taking lessons the best way to learn is to try and befriend some Japanese who aren't that good in English. I never speak Japanese to myJapanese friends who speak good English but am literally forced to when it comes to those who don't. Practical application.

I think most JET program teach English in Japan jobs required a BA (regardless of major) to get in.

Probably not worth getting a car unless you end up way in the country.

If you haven't been definitely visit for a week or two before making such a rash decision. Get a rail pass and wander around but have some sort of plan onwhere you'd like to see or do. Bring a camera and pack lightly.

Originally Posted by fugualarmclock

If your laptop or other electronics has a 3 prong plug you'll likely need to get an adapter since a lot of the outlets in Japan are 2 pronged.

If you look Asian, especially Japanese then you'll have to study a lot more to avoid the countless stone face to SMH moments when you pull up with the deer in headlights look. If you look like a foreigner you'll probably get by with the Baka Gaijin pass though.

In addition to taking lessons the best way to learn is to try and befriend some Japanese who aren't that good in English. I never speak Japanese to my Japanese friends who speak good English but am literally forced to when it comes to those who don't. Practical application.

I think most JET program teach English in Japan jobs required a BA (regardless of major) to get in.

Probably not worth getting a car unless you end up way in the country.

If you haven't been definitely visit for a week or two before making such a rash decision. Get a rail pass and wander around but have some sort of plan on where you'd like to see or do. Bring a camera and pack lightly.
laugh.gif
yeah, i agree. japanese who grew up in america, no use speaking japanese. dudes will just reply in english.
laugh.gif

this is basically an email i sent to finns sometime ago.

If you dont mind being stuck anywhere, I suggest the JET program. It's probably the easiest way to get here with having everything provided for you plus anok salary. But of course you never really know where you will be put.

Then you have 英会話(eikaiwa/english training schools) that also provide you with an apartment and a salary, but usually they're totally $%#!. I've neverworked at an eikaiwa but everyone always says they suck. But they are a good place to start out if you dont have any friends here and want to live in a certainarea.

I wanted to stay in Osaka, so I came here first instead of finding a job first. I had a few friends here so I was able to stay with them until i found a job.

Usually they start hiring for ALTs around March-April, and August-September. Tokyo has a fairly decent salary, but it depends on where you go. If you arelooking to study Japanese, I recommend trying to live in a not so "Westernized" area, somewhere far away from Tokyo. You can still, of course studyJapanese in Tokyo, but its like everyone wants to speak English to you, so your chance to speak Japanese is very little.

Tell you the truth, you dont need to know japanese, but it helps a great deal. I know people who have lived here for like 5-6 years and cant speak aword, reminds me of the "ugly american". Being able to speak Japanese opens doors. And you have a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy broader selection ofwomen to talk to.

Originally Posted by bkdan1

全部忘れ

Originally Posted by pntgio

Ok well first off no, I dont know the language or the culture but both are things that I can learn. I already know english, spanish and a bit of german so i dont mind learning. I am a chef actually. Im still in school but once im done with school i wanna be out.
So....you're moving to Japan to be homeless?

If you're serious about this, I would suggest taking Japanese lessons, at the very least. Maybe saving some money and learning about the culture.You'er going about this all wrong.

i heard the japanese u learn in schools (college) doesnt really transfer to real world japan. lol
someone there told me how i learned to talk is like girl dialect.
its easier to get immersed and slowly pick it up (still no easy task tho)

plannin on studyin abroad there jan 10. stoked for it and pickin up what i can of the lang now.

Back
Top Bottom